VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
But why would SD cause an uproar by texting the fiance that plans changed?

Wouldn't SD know that the fiance wll be calling everyone. Especially since the meet was in Vegas. But the school was in Arizona.

I think the Vegas pick up was for fun in Vegas and then drive to Arizona later.

So why would SD make the fiance feel that the fun wasn't going to happen if he needed more time than the 6hr window that he had.

Without having the fiance cause an uproar right away. Jmo

Panic, maybe he didn't think it all the way through. He acted, and disposed quickly so he wouldn't get caught with anything. So instead of thinking it all out, in a knee jerk reaction he just sent the message and didn't think about it? That is IF he had anything to do with it.

RSBM
Okay, so what if she had her own plans and they involved not getting on the plane that day? She would text her mom so her mom would think everything was normal, and text Amber so she wouldn't go to the airport and worry when she didn't show up. This way she could have some time unaccounted for with no one being the wiser. She might even have been planning to text her mom later that night "I've arrived but I'm tired. Talk to you tomorrow."

She would have to sure her mom and Amber wouldn't compare notes.

I know this is a lot of speculation but like everyone else I'm trying to figure out did she send one, none, or both of the texts?

But my hinky meter says she sent neither.

I know my friend. It's complicated to all of us due to many plausibles.

So idk.

Panic, maybe he didn't think it all the way through. He acted, and disposed quickly so he wouldn't get caught with anything. So instead of thinking it all out, in a knee jerk reaction he just sent the message and didn't think about it? That is IF he had anything to do with it.

Once you text the lover that they drove miles away for nothing to meet you. Than the stepdad should know not to send that text without an uproar. Jmo.

Unless he is Wesley Hadsell Lol.

But idk

Once you text the lover that they drove miles away for nothing to meet you. Than the stepdad should know not to send that text without an uproar. Jmo.

Unless he us Wesley Hadsell. Lol.

But udk

Hahah no doubt!! There's no telling. Truthfully it's as if we are at a standstill until LE is giving us something else to go off of.

If it were a person she knew, again I think they would not have sent what was basically an alarm to the fiancee. I think they would have simply sent a "See you soon!" text and let her wait forever at the airport if need be.

Let's say that the perp's plan was to not only delay the moment of alarm, but also to make an impression that Katelin arrived to Springfield alive and well. He knows Katelin, so he also know that there are two people who would be alerted by the lack of contact from Katelin. So he sends a text to mom, suggesting that Katelin boarded the plane. After that he has to deal with Amber, who is supposed to pick Katelin up from the airport. Totally no contact with her would look suspicious, and the very moment Katelin doesn't get off the plane in Arizona, Amber is going to contact the mum. So how to buy more time to clean everything up and create a solid looking alibi? Send a text to Amber, that Katelin has changed her plans and will arrive later than it was planned!

That's how the perp might have been reasoning. Obviously his masterplan did not work, because Amber did not buy the change of plans story and rised the alarm anyway.

But it wouldnt have been strange for her phone to be off, even if there were no texts sent, because she was supposed to be on a 6 hr flight. So even without any texts, her fiance and mom would have thought she was on the plane for hours. I don't see how those texts really bought anyone any time. It seems they would send up red flags to Az way before there would have been any concern.

Whoever sent the texts might have been trying to buy more time than just 5 or 6 hours. The "something came up and im not coming back today. I'll let you know when I get a new flight" Sounds to me like they are saying they will be in touch the next day or in a few days or next week some time. Would it be a smart or logical thing for a perp to do? No...but many perps are not very smart, especially when they think they are.

IMO Whoever sent the text did not want the mom to worry, but didn't really care if the fiancee felt like she was being blown-off.

I find something ominous about that text.

Unless he is Wesley Hadsell Lol.

But idk

Remember this is step-person is an ex. I doubt he would know how the fiancee would react. I don't think he and Katelin had much of a relationship.

Woke up thinking about Katelin this morning. The text messages are bothering me. Wish we knew more about her normal routine of calling and texting. MSM did report that she texts with her mother often throughout the day. That makes me think that she probably texts with her girlfriend and sister pretty often too. I wonder if there were any other texts from her that day or if they suddenly stopped at a particular time.

My daughter flew from AZ to NJ yesterday. She is in her late 20's and is a very seasoned traveler. However, she still called or texted me every step of the way: Leaving the house now, driving to the airport/50 miles to go, at the airport, checked my luggage, made it through security, at the gate, on the plane, just landed, met my "dad", got luggage, in the car, made it to Grandma's. (I find it ironic that it was my husband, my daughter's step-dad that met her at the airport and drove her to my mom's. He happens to be in NJ working and it was convenient for him to pick her up.)

Traveling is stressful, even for experienced travelers. There is always the feeling of: Am I going to make it on time for the flight? Is there going to be a tie up at security? Will my luggage get lost? Will the plane crash? and so on.. I get the impression that Katelin has not traveled very often and would expect a similar ongoing dialog with her family and/or fiancee throughout her trip home. Did this happen on the way out to VA and how was this different the day she was planning to fly back to AZ? I am not asking for the answers here, since we don't have any verified insiders, but just throwing out the questions that are on my mind.

I love your posts on here, ClaireNC, but reading about texting my mother at every step of one flight even with layovers would have driven me crazy at 19! But I know many mothers on here agree with you. And I love my mom, but I praise God there were no cell phones in 1984 or 1985! My 19 year old son just took off to Oklahoma City to a dear relative's funeral and will meet us in Atlanta in a couple of days. He got a new cell phone right before he left and I never even got the number! I guess I just assume he will be ok. Or even if something happens it probably wouldn't be related to his phone or have anything to do with how often we texted or talked. Funny how different and how the same we all are!

Because as far as I know, actual cosmetology/beauty school can run about $15,000 -$20,0000. Or at least at a serious school. Does anyone else have other info?

Aren't cosmetology schools generally for-profit? Those schools are notorious for predatory lending. It might not mean she's good with money it might mean she's 15k in debt.

I'm not sure if this is even relevant, but just wanted to note that it actually takes at least 2-1/2 hours to drive from Lake Havasu, AZ to the airport in Las Vegas, NV.

Also, I don't think Katelin's flight was a straight-thru flight, so if that's the case, her travel time would have been longer than a non-stop flight would have.

Just wanted to bring these things up to be considered...

Let's say that the perp's plan was to not only delay the moment of alarm, but also to make an impression that Katelin arrived to Springfield alive and well. He knows Katelin, so he also know that there are two people who would be alerted by the lack of contact from Katelin. So he sends a text to mom, suggesting that Katelin boarded the plane. After that he has to deal with Amber, who is supposed to pick Katelin up from the airport. Totally no contact with her would look suspicious, and the very moment Katelin doesn't get off the plane in Arizona, Amber is going to contact the mum. So how to buy more time to clean everything up and create a solid looking alibi? Send a text to Amber, that Katelin has changed her plans and will arrive later than it was planned!

That's how the perp might have been reasoning. Obviously his masterplan did not work, because Amber did not buy the change of plans story and rised the alarm anyway.
Thank you Hexe I was just about to post something similar.
First, if it was Katelin that sent the messages why have there been no sightings of her at all since they were sent. I could be wrong but usually when someone is missing of their own volition there is usually a sighting or video surveillance captured of them somewhere, at least with the cases I've followed.
Second, I have very little faith that a stranger abducted her since they would have no reason to create a delay in order to do anything with her. No one knows them no one has any reason to believe that she would be with them since they are unknown. However, a person who knows the victim and perhaps is the last person known to be with them would definitely be buying themselves a few hours so that they could effectively hide whatever they needed. The only thing that gives me pause is the suitcase because I don't know why an individual would get rid of something in an area that it is obviously going to be found if that individual was also trying to buy themselves time. IDK:thinking:

But the 2 totally different texts to mom and amber were placed at the almost same time.

So why would a perp place a conflicting text to a person that was driving to meet you at another airport from their home state in the last hours.

So my question is. Since they lived in Arizona. But was meeting in Vegas in 6hrs.

Why would a perp let anber know that Katelin wouldn't be there in6 hrs.

6 hrs is alot of time. So why care if Katelin's lover was traveling all that way for a reunion.

A perp would just let the lover call mom because they didn't hear nothing from katelin.

And mom unknowingly would have told lover that Katelin texted her and everything was still on schedule. Jmo.

I love your posts on here, ClaireNC, but reading about texting my mother at every step of one flight even with layovers would have driven me crazy at 19! But I know many mothers on here agree with you. And I love my mom, but I praise God there were no cell phones in 1984 or 1985! My 19 year old son just took off to Oklahoma City to a dear relative's funeral and will meet us in Atlanta in a couple of days. He got a new cell phone right before he left and I never even got the number! I guess I just assume he will be ok. Or even if something happens it probably wouldn't be related to his phone or have anything to do with how often we texted or talked. Funny how different and how the same we all are!

We are a family of 4 daughters (all 25-30) we all text constantly with each other and both parents. Especially while traveling so I don't find this odd at all. We are spread all over the West Coast but always in contact...boarding, landing,luggage, HOME! Even if its 2 am...maybe we are just weird like that lol:blushing:

Believe it or not, you can get on a commercial plane in the US. My 21 year old forgot his ID in his truck this Thanksgiving, but he was allowed through security and boarded the plane. I don't know how they decide who can and can't fly without ID, but my husband who is a commercial pilot says it happens a lot.
I still don't think she was ever at any airport.

Hey, Dockins!! Thank your husband for me, for letting me know the TSA is doing an even worse job than I thought!!

Whoever sent the texts might have been trying to buy more time than just 5 or 6 hours. The "something came up and im not coming back today. I'll let you know when I get a new flight" Sounds to me like they are saying they will be in touch the next day or in a few days or next week some time. Would it be a smart or logical thing for a perp to do? No...but many perps are not very smart, especially when they think they are.

IMO Whoever sent the text did not want the mom to worry, but didn't really care if the fiancee felt like she was being blown-off.

I find something ominous about that text.

Well, and as I was reading this, I was thinking that the person may have just thought Amber was the roommate or bestie who was picking her up from the airport. Any fool would know that you wouldn't tell your fiancee that "something came up" and you aren't coming home without expecting the fiancee to respond "WTF? What do you mean something came up? What do you mean you'll let me know? And that you aren't coming home today?????" It's not like this was a casual friend. Unless they were already having some communication issues or something before this. It seems odd to say to a more than significant other. But who knows? I have no idea what is "normal" as far as Katelin's communication style.

Arrgh. This is a very confusing case.
Still, I think she sent the texts herself....

Yes, it is funny how different we can be. I don't require that she contact me every step, she does it because she wants to. For us it is not annoying at all, it is sharing in the excitement of the journey. It's celebrating the small steps towards the destination. I did the same thing when I was traveling out there to see her, letting her know that I was making my way there to see her.

It's not about being a helicopter mom. My daughter started traveling around the world when she was 16, often alone. We are just very close even though we live on opposite sides of the country.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching
I am feeling very frustrated at this point. Here we are spending our free time trying to come up with anything to help find Katelin and her family starts a Facebook page in order to "Find Katelin" then takes it private! What good do they think it does to get her name and face out into the public if people are not free to see the information? It is ridiculous to have a private page when this girl is out there somewhere! I think I am done. smh You simply cannot help people who do not want help."

It may be that Amber's main reason for starting the site was so that family and friends would have a place to go to get current information about everything, and so people could discuss things relevant to finding Katelin. Maybe it wasn't really originally intended to be a place for the public to have access to everything that was discussed in there...

Many people seem to be using #findKatelin though to keep the information about Katelin's disappearance linked together so things will be easily searchable.

Ok. Let's do it like this.

How many cases of unknown abductors that texts mom and lover with 2 totally different texts around the same time.

Jmo.

Btw. I still must ask. Did Katelin know Heather?

JUST ASKING?

Ah. Crap.

This thread is moving very fast and I can't keep up. Happy holidays to all. I will chime in later.

But good job.

But the 2 totally different texts to mom and amber were placed at the almost same time.

So why would a perp place a conflicting text to a person that was driving to meet you at another airport from their home state in the last hours.

So my question is. Since they lived in Arizona. But was meeting in Vegas in 6hrs.

Why would a perp let anber know that Katelin wouldn't be there in6 hrs.

6 hrs is alot of time. So why care if Katelin's lover was traveling all that way for a reunion.

A perp would just let the lover call mom because they didn't hear nothing from katelin.

And mom unknowingly would have told lover that Katelin texted her and everything was still on schedule. Jmo.

Yes, this ^^^ Why bother? One text to mom and that's that. Then let the chips fall where they may. Hours and hours later, she doesn't arrive and then they can all start worrying. The only reason to send the text to Amber would be if Amber sent her a text FIRST and this text was in response. Then I could see the perp kindof freaking out and sending it. Otherwise, I doubt a perp would give a shiznit.

A person known to her would know when she was expected to arrive and to where she was going.
A stranger more likely would not. I mean unless they bothered to have a chat with her before abducting her. But just looking at her phone they would have no clue where the person was they were texting. It would certainly have said "Amber" in the text message log, but how would they know she wasn't just flying a state away or whatever.

I feel like I am running in circles. I don't think logic can be fully applied here, tbh.

and moo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member