GUILTY VA - Meghan Landowski, 16, raped & murdered, Portsmouth, 10 April 2008 #2

I think I just found his myspace page...I cannot test the theory because I am at work. Here's the link...will one of you please check and post back what you find?

Thanks!

He'll most likely end up tried as an adult, though I don't think that the death penalty will apply because of the constraints of it. I'm not a lawyer, but the last that I'd heard in Virginia there has to be more than one victim (meaning more than one murder) and several other criterion that the crime(s) have to meet to qualify.

This aside -

I'm not at all surprised that it was a teen. I know it's shocking that I can say that, but one of my first posts I said that I kinda thought that it was a teen. I'm sad that I was right. Either way, one child is dead, a family is forever without and now another is. It's a lose/lose situation. I am glad that the family will be able to have their questions answered though.

I'm also not 100% certain on the name release, I've not heard or seen it, but I think that if he confesses, then it becomes a matter of public record and it's able to be released.

Also, good job PPD, never doubted it would be solved, just a matter of time as to when.

Be careful. I'm not sure if we're allowed to post people's myspace without knowing for sure that is the person.

I'm not saying it isn't the same person I just don't want you to get a time out or anything.

Are you kidding me? No words? For six and a half months you have had plenty of words when you thought LE was goofing off, but when they do something positive you can’t find the words? Let me see if I can help you find some of your previous words:

5/7: the interim Chief can bring in some competent investigators

5/12: Portsmouth Police has a lot to be desired as it is

5/27: I have zero faith in PPD being able to solve Meghans case

5/29: anyone that is familiar with P-town knows not to trust or count on their LE very much

6/9: I've never seen anything much worthwhile accomplished by the PPD and That department has always had a corruption problem and a do nothing attitude

6/9: They led us to belive that they had a suspect, while in reality they don't have a clue.

6/18: these same defenders of the questionable abilities of the P-town PD have found this site

6/19: they lack the funding to pay for the education and training it takes to work such a case

6/23: they don't have the ability to handle the case and need to bring in outside help.

6/26: I have no trust and little faith in PPD

7/1: putting a flame under LE butt

7/12: This reflects so bad on our area, our media and mostly our LE.

7/17: Anyone even thinking about moving to Portsmouth should be made aware of Meghans case and other murders and unsolved crimes by the great P-town PD.

7/19: It seems the LE of this area is not capable of solving any murder

7/24: No doubt in my mind at this point that LE has never had a clue and are too busy at the donut shop to ask for help

8/21: P-town LE has always had corruption and competency problems. There is no finer example of how not to run a PD than P-town PD. Corruption in P-town is a long time tradition.

I find it hard to believe, BigMike, that all of a sudden you can’t find the words now. Oh, don’t get me wrong, I believe the police can take a hit or two from the public, one of the disadvantages of being a public servant. But what I can’t stand is to see someone using this girl’s death as a platform to post their views of LE. I can only imagine, as you have so many times, that you were ousted from the Navy by NCIS and the PD was involved. I hope so. What I can’t imagine is someone being so bitter and cruel all the time without reason. Even if they are a bunch of bumbling Keystone Cops why would you not support the family in case they come across this site? I would at least think an apology from you to the family would be required. To post remarks that would do anything but support them during this time is inexcusable and I cannot think why the Web Administrator has not been alerted to your posts. I hope when you report me that she sees this for what it is. Someone telling you that you are out of line and defeating the purpose of the site, which states:

To give everyone a chance to help, to do something and at the same time, help a family keep their loved ones case alive by discussing it on Websleuths.

Your posts do not accomplish this, whatsoever. To even suggest that one of the officers was involved (as you did on 10/15) is horrendous. I hope she reviews the few examples I have listed above to alert her to you negativism. To the rest of WS, although frustrated at times, I am sure the families you speak of appreciate your support, even if they do not know of this site’s existence. You offer encouragement, hope and a welcomed distracting conversation which I am sure is needed. Only those who have gone through something as horrible as this can relate. Fortunately, I cannot. But I pray that the Web Admin takes a long look at your post. To suggest that one of the officers was actually involved as you did on 10/15 serves what purpose? It instills doubt and fears into a family regarding the people who are investigating their child’s murder and is inexcusable. You can’t even let them enjoy the one day someone is arrested without casting gloom on the picture. Need a refresher? Dated today:

Now let's hope it's right

No, you are not helpful or supportive. You should be ashamed.

I have followed this sad story since the crime occurred. I am very glad that an arrest has been made. The LE involved certainly did a good job. We need to remember that in today's world so many of us expect quick answers to all of our questions. Sometimes it takes time and hard work to find completion in questions and tasks. Hats off to law enforcement who persevered and kept fighting the good fight!

Bumping this up~ I am so glad there was an arrest. I look forward to seeing justice served.

Be careful. I'm not sure if we're allowed to post people's myspace without knowing for sure that is the person.

I'm not saying it isn't the same person I just don't want you to get a time out or anything.

Lizzybeth makes a good point. Please note that the that the myspace link I posted MAY, but does not definitively, belong to the person who was arrested and charged...but...it is the right name (Robert Barnes), right age (17), and right school (Churchland HS). There are also a couple of other details mentioned on the page that tie with some other information I have.

Hallelujah!!!!! It has been a long wait for this good news.

Kudos to all who have been working behind the scenes.... our annoyance about there being no news is surely nothing compared with your months of long hours, dead ends & frustration.

I hope the investigation has a strong case that will put this guy away forever. I pray for some peace & healing in the hearts of Meghan's family & friends in knowing the accused will be brought to justice. I also wish that he would confess & spare them the ordeal of a trial.

And, I pray for the Barnes family as they face the horror apparently perpetrated by their loved one. Their pain must be second only to the victim's family's ..... tragedy begets more tragedy. Where does it end?

OK - and here's a freaky update...I just heard that there are TWO Robert Barnes at Churchland HS!!! However, the pic that is posted with the article on WVEC is the same as the myspace link I posted...so unless WVEC has also made an error, the link is correct.

Good job to the Portsmouth Police Dept for all the hard work put into this case!!!

So did the TV station use the right picture from the right suspect, then? The photo credit says "MySpace.com." If they are wrong -- that's perhaps a lawsuit waiting to happen...

OK - and here's a freaky update...I just heard that there are TWO Robert Barnes at Churchland HS!!! However, the pic that is posted with the article on WVEC is the same as the myspace link I posted...so unless WVEC has also made an error, the link is correct.

So did the TV station use the right picture from the right suspect, then? The photo credit says "MySpace.com." If they are wrong -- that's perhaps a lawsuit waiting to happen...
On the station i was watching they did use the same myspace they had the same photos yes it was the same one..

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has been involved in this case, those of you who have posted in support of the family, and those who refused to let this be a cold case.

The arrest is just a step in the investigation - which is still active - but it is definately great news. I watched the televised press conference knowing that Meghan's family was doing the same. They got the information from the PPD last night and could not speak of it to friends or family until after the press conference this morning.

Knowing details of the evidence collected, in hindsight it fits with their arrested suspect. Although it still seems pretty convenient to me that Meghan was murdered amist the charges/pending trial of the Navy LT. However, he's not off scott free, his investigation still continues.

I pray for a quick and speedy trial, and that Meghan's family gets answers to the many questions they have. I also pray that this young man doesn't drag this out, confesses fully and at least has the balls to admit what he did.

I hope justice is swift and severe.

I am a sixteen-year old (a junior at Churchland High) and I knew both Meghan (in 9th grade) and Robert Barnes.

Meghan was in two of my classes (and I even let her copy my homework on occasion), and she was not the sweet innocent girl like most people say (or at least not in 9th grade). Most people I knew thought she was a little brat, but no one I knew wanted her dead. I tried to make friends with her because so many people tried to avoid her. People either loved her or hated her. My school (especially the dance team) has been following the case carefully to make sure justice is served.

I knew Robert Barnes much better than I knew Meghan.... He was the school's best violinist (an absolutely amazing musician) and a class clown. He did make mostly sick, perverted jokes, but he didn't mean to be taken seriously. I walked down the music hallway of Churchland today, and everybody was huddled together discussing this. There is a possibility he IS guilty, but I don't want someone innocent to be punished.

Honestly, my first thought when I heard that Robert Barnes was arrested was "Really? He'll be out in less than a week."

Most of you seemed to believe this case has been solved, but there IS still a chance he is innocent.

You are right KeKekyon, Robert seems like a nice kid. I hope he is not guilty.
Welcome to the board :)
It sounds like they have the killer's DNA from the murder scene so they will have the right guy in the end.

I am a sixteen-year old (a junior at Churchland High) and I knew both Meghan (in 9th grade) and Robert Barnes.

Meghan was in two of my classes (and I even let her copy my homework on occasion), and she was not the sweet innocent girl like most people say (or at least not in 9th grade). Most people I knew thought she was a little brat, but no one I knew wanted her dead. I tried to make friends with her because so many people tried to avoid her. People either loved her or hated her. My school (especially the dance team) has been following the case carefully to make sure justice is served.

/quote]
I'm sure you're upset about your friend but the comments about Meghan were unnecessary. No one is perfect, there's always someone that doesn't like you. I don't think anyone here insinuated that Meghan was perfect.

Robert did seem like a nice kid from his myspace. I listened to him play the violin in his video and it almost brought tears to my eyes. What went so horribly wrong? I found out that my daughter and he have a mutual friend. My daughter's friend was shocked too.

I think the boy arrested lives in the townhouses right down the street from me. If he does, and if he is the one that killed Meghan, he had the perfect getaway. The townhouses are behind Food Lion and back right up to Meghan's house. All he had to do was jump the chain link fence (maybe three and half ft high) and be right back at home.

His arrest and all the unmarked police cars make more sense now. They were all in the area of that group of townhomes.

If he's innocent I hope it's found out quickly, if he's guilty I hope he confesses and is punished accordingly. If anyone coerced him to do this or helped I hope he'll let LE know.

I thought I would be so happy when someone was arrested, but it still doesn't bring Meghan back. I hope it does bring her family and all the friends that loved her some peace.

I never said anything bad about Meghan. I simply gave other student's opinions, and I was trying to make the point that even those who didn't like her wanted justice for her death, but you are right, it was unnecessary.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inquisitive11201
Back