VA VA - Michael, 50, Mary, 36, & Jennifer Short, 9, Bassett, 15 Aug 2002

police probably did this but i wonder if they interviewed every employee at Jennifer School at the time of her abduction? While It probably isn’t someone from her school since she was only nine years old at the time of her abduction and murder it just had me think it could’ve been someone who took an interest in Jennifer for obviously all the wrong reasons. I also wonder if the Short family regularly attended Church anywhere and if they interviewed any church members this is assuming they went to church or were actively involved in a religion or organization.

Long time follower of this case, first time posting. One question I've had for a while is about the original 911 call. I'm assuming this would've been made by the employee who discovered Michael Short's body in the carport, but what isn't clear is where he would've made the call from. The phone line in the house had been cut, and since it was 2002 I'm thinking there's a decent chance he wouldn't have had a cell phone. I read somewhere that Thompson was staying at a nearby motel at the time, so I suppose he could've gone back to there to make the call.

Does anyone have/remember any additional info about this 911 call? I've read a few articles like this one saying that's where the task force started their reinvestigation, and it's something I've been wondering about a lot.

Long time follower of this case, first time posting. One question I've had for a while is about the original 911 call. I'm assuming this would've been made by the employee who discovered Michael Short's body in the carport, but what isn't clear is where he would've made the call from. The phone line in the house had been cut, and since it was 2002 I'm thinking there's a decent chance he wouldn't have had a cell phone. I read somewhere that Thompson was staying at a nearby motel at the time, so I suppose he could've gone back to there to make the call.

Does anyone have/remember any additional info about this 911 call? I've read a few articles like this one saying that's where the task force started their reinvestigation, and it's something I've been wondering about a lot.
Welcome on your first post. (I appreciate you name, by the way!). And thanks for following this thread. This is one of the unsolved crimes that bothers me most.
I don't recall if we ever heard where the call was made from. I always thought that the cutting of the phone line was significant but not sure how.

Welcome on your first post. (I appreciate you name, by the way!). And thanks for following this thread. This is one of the unsolved crimes that bothers me most.
I don't recall if we ever heard where the call was made from. I always thought that the cutting of the phone line was significant but not sure how.
Thanks for the welcome and for appreciating my username! I agree that the cut phone line is probably significant (and the fact that it gets mentioned in nearly every article about this case makes me think LE agrees). The question about where the call was made from is one of so many I have about this case...for example, I've also seen several references to the Short family having a cat, but never any information about what happened to it.

This article is from a year ago but has some very interesting information. (I am especially happy to hear that there is DNA and that grant funds are available for additional testing). As we are approaching the 21 year anniversary of this horrific crime I thought it worth posting for those who haven't seen it.

Search warrants show investigators pulled at least 138 pieces of evidence from the home, including shell casings found near Michael and Mary’s bodies, a shotgun, rifle and ammunition, family business records, and a 2002 yearbook from Jennifer’s elementary school,

So ,they have had a year.Maybe they will anouce something on aug 15th? Ieast an update of the processing of all this evidence they have had.also they should have included the composit of the truck in that article because I fully believe that truck is a huge key and someone knows who had it.

Yes, the Short family was very active in their church. Teachers, friends all came forth to be interviewed.

The best I remember the call was made from the motel/restaurant next door. The motel was very close to the house. Moo

Search warrants show investigators pulled at least 138 pieces of evidence from the home, including shell casings found near Michael and Mary’s bodies, a shotgun, rifle and ammunition, family business records, and a 2002 yearbook from Jennifer’s elementary school,

So ,they have had a year.Maybe they will anouce something on aug 15th? Ieast an update of the processing of all this evidence they have had.also they should have included the composit of the truck in that article because I fully believe that truck is a huge key and someone knows who had it.
I agree. That truck was very distinctive.

This article is from a year ago but has some very interesting information. (I am especially happy to hear that there is DNA and that grant funds are available for additional testing). As we are approaching the 21 year anniversary of this horrific crime I thought it worth posting for those who haven't seen it.
Apparently there was DNA collected, and grant funds were made available for additional testing. My question is, has that testing been done, and if not, why not?

Hmm maybe it because they might perserve it ( like they did with Golden State Killer case or Eileen Adams Case) for advanced DNA futuric device or they slowing the investigation down ( which it I might found suspicious ).
Maybe they do have some DNA and were able to finally get a profile, but just don't have a match yet. Or they have DNA but can't be sure that it is actually the killer. It does perhaps at least provide a ray of hope though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaEvans52
Back