Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
In any case involving a suspect death it is not LE that determines it is murder; it is the medical examiner and their office. They have to go by what the ME tells them. You will never find a link to where a LE person uses the word murder until after the ME office rules on it.

Virginia Tech Student Morgan Harrington Was Murdered, Police Say
Cause of Death Still to Be Determined by Medical Examiner...

Yep; The first on refers to her death as murder.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/virginia-t...ingtons-death-ruled-homicide/story?id=9740132

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/235165

http://www.examiner.com/x-1168-Crim...rules-Virginia-Tech-students-death-a-homicide

http://www.wdbj7.com/global/story.asp?s=11923619

And this one refers to a "killer":

http://abcnews.go.com/US/morgan-harringtons-killer-knew-obstacles-farm-area/story?id=9749253

Exactly. The ME has ruled, in his/her professional opinion based on the autopsy, that this was a homicide. LE doesn't determine that, but LE can determine whether it was criminal homicide or not. Murder is more of a legal term, but either way, Morgans death has been declared a homicide by the ME, which rules out suicide and accidental death.

In any case involving a suspect death it is not LE that determines it is murder; it is the medical examiner and their office. They have to go by what the ME tells them. You will never find a link to where a LE person uses the word murder until after the ME office rules on it.

Virginia Tech Student Morgan Harrington Was Murdered, Police Say
Cause of Death Still to Be Determined by Medical Examiner...

Yep; The first on refers to her death as murder.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/virginia-t...ingtons-death-ruled-homicide/story?id=9740132

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/235165

http://www.examiner.com/x-1168-Crim...rules-Virginia-Tech-students-death-a-homicide

http://www.wdbj7.com/global/story.asp?s=11923619

And this one refers to a "killer":

http://abcnews.go.com/US/morgan-harringtons-killer-knew-obstacles-farm-area/story?id=9749253

What I wonder though is whether a suicide or accident might appear to be a homicide. A homicide investigation must be performed to protect the public, yet one can imagine all sorts of convoluted circumstances in which the victim dies in such manner as would imply her murder. Say she went out to AF with a BF who likes to hunt, high she is playing with his gun, trips, shoots herself & the guy panics ... Some people have suggested that a hunter shot her accidently from a distance, and he may not even have realized what he had done. Or if she died of drug overdose likely there was some degree of a suicide intent. Since COD is undetermined, how can they 100% rule out suicide or any type of accident? Sounds to me like maybe they are assuming that MH was unfamiliar with area and/or unlikely to venture into a wilderness location voluntarily; but that might not be the case. We don't see any motive for murder or any prior threats on her life (but of course such info may be held back).

I seem to remember that they were in section 312, but I'd search some of the earlier threads to confirm this.

This is what I remember too.

I googled Morgan Harrington Seat Section and links to older threads on websleuths (#2, 9, 11, 12) came up indicating she was in section 312. I can't find any other really good links to show this though, for what it's worth.

Hey Le Singe,

That map you posted is just a tad off. Morgan was found on the next "patch" over to what is marked there. See those bunches of trees? That's where the creek bed lies. And what you would have to traverse to get to that location, assuming the perp used the rear of the farm to get to that location.

Also, another thing to note on that map that is not apparent from satellite imagery: Blandemar Farm Drive, especially the portion that goes in front of the empty barn, is not even really a road, but more like an overgrown dirt trail, that is blocked to outside vehicles via keypadded access gates, on both sides, one gate at the access point where Blandemar Farm Dr meets Red Hill Route, and the other keypad gate on Waldemar Drive. And a reliable source has indeed confirmed that Blandemar Farm Drive gates are currently closed shut, with the only way to get through would be use the keypad combo.

Now here's the Million Dollar Question: Are those gates always shut and locked, or have owners only shut them recently after Morgan's body was found? That, I am sure, is one thing LE will not disclose to the public.

true, but people will post. certain attitudes of various bloggers are not going to stop them from posting info, theories, epiphanies. You're telling me that you won't post because someone is acting in a certain way.

Snipped and BBM. Ummm... how would you know that? That's your opinion only.

What I wonder though is whether a suicide or accident might appear to be a homicide. A homicide investigation must be performed to protect the public, yet one can imagine all sorts of convoluted circumstances in which the victim dies in such manner as would imply her murder. Say she went out to AF with a BF who likes to hunt, high she is playing with his gun, trips, shoots herself & the guy panics ... Some people have suggested that a hunter shot her accidently from a distance, and he may not even have realized what he had done. Or if she died of drug overdose likely there was some degree of a suicide intent. Since COD is undetermined, how can they 100% rule out suicide or any type of accident? Sounds to me like maybe they are assuming that MH was unfamiliar with area and/or unlikely to venture into a wilderness location voluntarily; but that might not be the case. We don't see any motive for murder or any prior threats on her life (but of course such info may be held back).

I'm not getting that COD is undetermined, just that LE is not releasing that information to the public. I also don't think an ME assumes something then runs with it, and puts down homicide as a best guess or a hunch. I think they base their conclusion on medical facts and forensics.

ETA:
Walker, I will say that ME's are not always right and sometimes another autopsy has to be performed.

This is what I remember too.

I googled Morgan Harrington Seat Section and links to older threads on websleuths (#2, 9, 11, 12) came up indicating she was in section 312. I can't find any other really good links to show this though, for what it's worth.

Yeah, I did the same thing. I found many references to section 312, but can't seem to find the source for this. I can't remember where it came from. Anyone else remember?

The creeks are only visible when you switch to "Terrain" on Google maps.

I turn on terrain and traced the creeks (roughly) and then turned the satilite image back on. At least from what it shows you to do not have to cross that creek if going by the route i suggested.

edit to fix link
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=h&hl=en&msa=0&ll=37.987665,-78.61884&spn=0.028073,0.065875&z=15&msid=107094694488760389336.00047f3187fb883730320

edit again: i had the body location off so you would have to cross the creek right at the end i was wrong.

I think its entirely possible that Morgan went outside to acquire drugs of some sort, which is why there is such confusion as to how she accidentally got outside or why she missed the bathrooms. I think that her loved ones are probably trying to protect her reputation as most people would - Morgan wasn't a "bad girl" and they don't want to deter the investigation by making it seem that way. I know I would be hesitant if she was my friend to tell LE thats what she was doing - I might also lie as a college student and say she was trying to go to the restrooms, especially maybe if her friends that that would implicate them in some sort of drug use. I think she was intoxicated and thats why it didn't fully register that she wouldn't be allowed back inside or she wouldn't have probably taken the chance. I mean, she really wanted to see this concert. The ideal thing would have been for her friends to meet her at the gate and give her the keys but maybe they were less inclined because she was intoxicated and they worried about her driving off. At some point I think she tripped and fell because she was intoxicated. This happened to me once, I fell and hit my temple, I got up and I was extremely disoriented after the fact. This is probably why she was acting so out of character. The only reputable eyewitness account in my opinion is the guy who said she tried to get him to pretend to be with her, everyone else seems like they saw the other girl without the leggings. Its also entirely possible that she was being sarcastic with her friends about getting a ride home and wanted her to come bail her out, but maybe her friends were pissed - I mean, you drive all this way for a concert and your friend gets stuck outside the gate trying to (possibly) score drugs and then she wants you to come outside too and miss the concert that you spent money on? When you're drunk your priorities get screwy sometimes, maybe her friends were belligerent that because of her they'd potentially miss the concert. I think it may have been a sarcastic "yeah don't worry about me, I'll get my own ride home." After the concert it did seem like her friends waited around for her, maybe they were concerned and when they sobered up suddenly it didn't seem like it was the wisest thing to leave her out there on her own. I think her encounter with the one guy who she wanted to pretend to be with her indicates that she started to get troubled pretty soon after being stuck outside, maybe she was being harassed by some guys and wanted someone to seem to be her boyfriend. Maybe the guy she tried to score drugs from saw a pretty girl who was all alone and made some inappropriate comments. Its not farfetched for her to start feeling weird being by herself in a parking lot outside a concert - there are a lot of weird people that hang out there. It may seem farfetched to be assaulted twice in one night, but I've also thought that maybe she was assaulted within the arena parking lot, and the guy took her phone battery so she wouldn't call anyone and she dropped her purse. Maybe she was all disoriented afterwards and tried to walk away and got to the bridge - either the same guy came back because he started worrying about leaving her alive or she was picked up by someone else with ill will. I do think this was random and a crime of opportunity by someone who lived in the area.

Hey Le Singe,

That map you posted is just a tad off. Morgan was found on the next "patch" over to what is marked there. See those bunches of trees? That's where the creek bed lies. And what you would have to traverse to get to that location, assuming the perp used the rear of the farm to get to that location.

Also, another thing to note on that map that is not apparent from satellite imagery: Blandemar Farm Drive, especially the portion that goes in front of the empty barn, is not even really a road, but more like an overgrown dirt trail, that is blocked to outside vehicles via keypadded access gates, on both sides, one gate at the access point where Blandemar Farm Dr meets Red Hill Route, and the other keypad gate on Waldemar Drive. And a reliable source has indeed confirmed that Blandemar Farm Drive gates are currently closed shut, with the only way to get through would be use the keypad combo.

Now here's the Million Dollar Question: Are those gates always shut and locked, or have owners only shut them recently after Morgan's body was found? That, I am sure, is one thing LE will not disclose to the public.

i see now i had the body location off a little

I think its entirely possible that Morgan went outside to acquire drugs of some sort, which is why there is such confusion as to how she accidentally got outside or why she missed the bathrooms. I think that her loved ones are probably trying to protect her reputation as most people would - Morgan wasn't a "bad girl" and they don't want to deter the investigation by making it seem that way. I know I would be hesitant if she was my friend to tell LE thats what she was doing - I might also lie as a college student and say she was trying to go to the restrooms, especially maybe if her friends that that would implicate them in some sort of drug use. I think she was intoxicated and thats why it didn't fully register that she wouldn't be allowed back inside or she wouldn't have probably taken the chance. I mean, she really wanted to see this concert. The ideal thing would have been for her friends to meet her at the gate and give her the keys but maybe they were less inclined because she was intoxicated and they worried about her driving off. At some point I think she tripped and fell because she was intoxicated. This happened to me once, I fell and hit my temple, I got up and I was extremely disoriented after the fact. This is probably why she was acting so out of character. The only reputable eyewitness account in my opinion is the guy who said she tried to get him to pretend to be with her, everyone else seems like they saw the other girl without the leggings. Its also entirely possible that she was being sarcastic with her friends about getting a ride home and wanted her to come bail her out, but maybe her friends were pissed - I mean, you drive all this way for a concert and your friend gets stuck outside the gate trying to (possibly) score drugs and then she wants you to come outside too and miss the concert that you spent money on? When you're drunk your priorities get screwy sometimes, maybe her friends were belligerent that because of her they'd potentially miss the concert. I think it may have been a sarcastic "yeah don't worry about me, I'll get my own ride home." After the concert it did seem like her friends waited around for her, maybe they were concerned and when they sobered up suddenly it didn't seem like it was the wisest thing to leave her out there on her own. I think her encounter with the one guy who she wanted to pretend to be with her indicates that she started to get troubled pretty soon after being stuck outside, maybe she was being harassed by some guys and wanted someone to seem to be her boyfriend. Maybe the guy she tried to score drugs from saw a pretty girl who was all alone and made some inappropriate comments. Its not farfetched for her to start feeling weird being by herself in a parking lot outside a concert - there are a lot of weird people that hang out there. It may seem farfetched to be assaulted twice in one night, but I've also thought that maybe she was assaulted within the arena parking lot, and the guy took her phone battery so she wouldn't call anyone and she dropped her purse. Maybe she was all disoriented afterwards and tried to walk away and got to the bridge - either the same guy came back because he started worrying about leaving her alive or she was picked up by someone else with ill will. I do think this was random and a crime of opportunity by someone who lived in the area.

I'm sure everyone has already come to the conclusion that the victim is "not perfect" with the DMV photo and various photos that had been released. Even her parents have said "she is not perfect/or the best daughter"

I'm sure everyone has already come to the conclusion that the victim is "not perfect" with the DMV photo and various photos that had been released. Even her parents have said "she is not perfect/or the best daughter"

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off self-righteous or preaching to the choir. I was just throwing it out there, I didn't realize everyone already came to the same conclusion earlier. I've been trying to catch up with so many posts that I must have missed a bit. My apologies.

In any case, no person is ever perfect anyway. I was a good kid in college, got good grades and studied hard, but man I had some nights that still make my head spin. I made some dumb decisions and did some stupid things and looking back on it I realize its only but for the grace of God go I. God bless Morgan and I pray she's finally at peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uncommongrackle