Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, what does anyone think of the idea that the boyfriend had morgans car all along? and any implications that it may hold? i wont mention the site that this idea was posted since it is against tos, but i guess it doesnt hurt to ponder the idea...

Remember the dogs hit on MH's scent at Wild Wings Cafe on West Main ... I asked at the time if dogs would hit on transferred scent ... bf drives MH's car and thereby picks up her scent/skin cells ... he drops the girls at the concert and he then drives to Wild Wings ... OR, they all went to Wild Wings prior to going to the concert ...

I totally agree that it makes sense why Morgan didn't have her keys and why her friends did not bring the keys to her. Also, if this guy perhaps was still in the area (@ campus perhaps) then maybe that is where Morgan was heading to.

could this possibly implicate this guy? that could be a reason the friends are silent? and i agree that it is a good reason that she didnt go to her car, if there was no car in the lot...

Remember the dogs hit on MH's scent at Wild Wings Cafe on West Main ... I asked at the time if dogs would hit on transferred scent ... bf drives MH's car and thereby picks up her scent/skin cells ... he drops the girls at the concert and he then drives to Wild Wings ... OR, they all went to Wild Wings prior to going to the concert ...

or i guess mh and the guy could have went there? that is if he picked her up after she was seen on the bridge. but where did the guy go at the end of the concert as the car was there for the girls to get home but he was not with them for the ride home? they could have all went out after the concert and left him at a/the party...i just wish we knew more. and i know that the cops cant tell all but if "all" consists of who and what car was taken then it has to have everything to do with her being missing - moo

This is a follow up to my post on November 28th regarding my trip to Roanoke, VA and the total lack of support there in Morgan’s hometown as it relates to flyers being up, media coverage and efforts to call attention to her missing. In that post I mentioned that Roanoke hosted a fund raising “run/walk” to raise money for the homeless on Thanksgiving Day. I pointed out it was attended by over 7000 people who participated. The event was called the Drumstick Dash and like I said before, 7000+ people in Roanoke, VA is a huge crowd. I thought that it was strange that there were no flyers up on the businesses that lined the route the runners took, no booth set up to pass out flyers, nothing in the bars or restaurants, etc.

Well, under the “This case just gets stranger all the time” comments, let me add this. So many of you continue to be frustrated (and rightly so) over the lack of anything being done by the friends and those who know Morgan to help find her. With that in mind I wanted to let you know this; that Drumstick Dash was attended by folks from 34 different states. I didn’t know this until yesterday. Maybe it’s just me, but if I knew that people from 34 states were going to be in Roanoke, as a friend I would have had a bullhorn in my hand and flyers printed up and be in the middle of things passing them out or putting them on cars. I would have made sure the local hotels/motels and restaurants had flyers in them as well as the rest stops and gas stations in the area. If I was Morgan’s family I would have done something as well. The family could have rented several billboards in the area to showcase Morgan being gone. Both in the downtown area and the surrounding Interstates. So WHY is it that Morgan’s friends and family did nothing? Yes, the family went to C’ville and was on TV for 90 seconds and I understand that was important to them but this race was over at 11am, they could have easily done both. It’s just a little over an hours drive. There were so many great opportunities to get the word spread that day but it never happened. Her family didn’t bother, her friends didn’t bother, the media didn’t bother and LE didn’t bother. Like I pointed out in my earlier post, there was no information about Morgan anywhere in Roanoke or the surrounding area. Why is it that with such a captive audience that day an opportunity like this was wasted? A chance to reach people 34 states and nothing was done. What in the world is going on with this case? MeoW333 pointed out in response to my earlier post regarding my trip that “the truth is what we search for here”. I thought that was a great line. It defines everyone on this forum. But I wonder if we are the only ones searching for the truth these days?

I live in Roanoke - born & raised. There is information up regarding MH. There are billboards up in Roanoke with MH's pic & flyer info.

The stuff about the Drumstick Dash... Not everyone in Roanoke is interested in people running for whatever cause - they may contribute but could care less about the "hooplah" that comes along with an event such as this.

I had heard about the DD event, but like yourself had no idea that people from other states would be participating. And I would suspect that if you're not a member of the "running races" community then one wouldn't know that info either. So if you didn't know about it...I didn't know about it...other Roanokers didn't know about it - Then what makes one think that the Harrington Family would have that information - that there would be participants from other states???

I posted long ago that the billboard(s) were up in Roanoke regarding MH. They went up about the same time the others did along I-64.

There are also flyers up in various places in Vinton VA - which is an independent town that is surrounded by Roanoke City & Roanoke County (for those that do not know the area).

Two places that flyers should be up (and I don't know if they are) around here is at Roanoke College in Salem and Hollins University in Roanoke Co. Especially since it seems that colleges/universities connect in certain things - whether it be parties or those that have friends of friends. Maybe there is talk on other campuses other than VT that should be looked into. What would it hurt to send someone to the various local campuses to speak to students and ask what the rumors are regarding MH's disappearance.

could this possibly implicate this guy? that could be a reason the friends are silent? and i agree that it is a good reason that she didnt go to her car, if there was no car in the lot...

But she presumably didn't go off with this guy, unless it was in a different car, if her's was indeed back in the lot at the end of the concert when the friends say they waited around (or there's even more of a cover up about the car than we suspect). Or they did go off together in her car (hitchhiking on the bridge would be natural when she spots her own car coming toward her), something happened, and the car was returned to the lot? And the purse?

The body found Sunday near Lynchburg has been identified as Cassandra Morton of Lynchburg.

I've read all the posts in all the threads, and wanted to pick up on a couple of recent items.

From the excellent summary at the start of this new thread on the tickets. It's collective wisdom that DH purchased some number of tickets 6 months ago, which MH kept on parents' fridge. The number is somewhere between 4 and 9. But I recall seeing one item that said it was only 2 months ago. I think it was on the Hook's site, but it could have been FindMorgan or one of the other ancillary sites that have been covering the case. Iirc, the quote was something about "why would MH leave a concert she had been looking forward to for 2 months?" May not matter, but if 2 months it may not have as much to do with DH's comment about things really being good starting 6 months ago (whether they were bad before or just good).

On the references to heroin. To me, HighYa, All Good, Bonnaroo, Blue Mountain Festival, tie-dye, certain FB friends, Phish, and Grateful Dead all equate much more with smoking some green than with anything harder. Metallica and Pantera, IDK. Whatever other bands she had posters of in her room, IDK. But I've also been thinking about SS's statement along the lines of "obviously, we wouldn't have done it if we had known" Italics mine. What was "it?" I find it a long-shot possibility, but a possibility nonetheless, that it could have been first time hard drug use or combining drugs and alcohol.

Still doesn't change that she is missing, and unless by her choice, that shouldn't have happened.

Finally, small points on the recent discovery near Lynchburg. The skeletal head was detached, but nearby, which I believe argues for animals having moved it, and I read in one of the links provided earlier that the rocks would have needed at least two people to move them (or perhaps, as one poster noted, one very strong individual).

I share the consensus frustration with lack of solid info on MH and virtually no info on the two other cases from Lynchburg.

BBM
SS's statement seemed to be said so matter-of-factly in that video, it was a far cry from an emotional plea, considering her "best friend" is missing and most likely presumed deceased. I wish we knew what "it" was as well, it's odd to word something like that. Does "it" refer to Morgan going missing or does "it" refer to what they should have done to begin with, not leave Morgan alone and use the buddy system.
These friends of hers don't seem to care, they seem to be silent in hopes this will all go away.
I agree that heroine is a reach, however the painkiller industry seems to be booming among the young people. I watched a show on it, somehow had linked a video in the basement on the Haleigh thread. It seems a lot of young people snort of smoke oxys and i would think that would be what Morgan would do instead of shooting heroine. Painkillers pills may also be a gateway to using heroine if the individuals keep searching for a high. (just to add more ideas to this angle).. i do wish we knew about 6 months ago..

The body found Sunday near Lynchburg has been identified as Cassandra Morton of Lynchburg.

I am so sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers go out to Cassandra's family.

I was wondering why this supposed boyfriend of one of her friends, that went to the concert, hasn't been publicly identified yet? It seems crazy to me.

On the references to heroin. To me, HighYa, All Good, Bonnaroo, Blue Mountain Festival, tie-dye, certain FB friends, Phish, and Grateful Dead all equate much more with smoking some green than with anything harder. Metallica and Pantera, IDK. Whatever other bands she had posters of in her room, IDK.

Parents generally make a mistake when they are too encouraging about these music events. Reasonably, they might say "It's okay to go, but please be very careful." They should avoid endorsing the kind of attitudes sent out by the music. Even the relatively harmless Beatles used to sing about "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds."

Hello MB Lover; Where in Roanoke are the billboards? I went into the city via 581 from Salem and then again from 220 coming from Martinsville. Did I just miss them? I was also on “the market” at that group of restaurants right were the outdoor vendors are, over at Hotel Roanoke and the Texas Tavern (of course) and saw nothing in the way of flyers. I didn’t see anything posted at the Outback Restaurant, the Coffee Pot on Brambleton Ave. or at the Valley View mall either.

My family lives in Salem and I went to Roanoke College. With the exception of Mac and Bob’s on Main Street there was nothing in Salem that I saw. Not at the other places around Mac and Bob’s or on the other side of town on West Main Street where there are so many restaurants. I didn’t actually go on campus at Roanoke to look around because of the break but kids of my friends that go to Roanoke said there was nothing up on campus regarding Morgan and no one was talking about it any longer either. I don’t know about Hollins College though. But you are right, Roanoke, Hollins and UVA do all connect in a lose “partying” sort of way. There should be flyers at those two campuses. And when it comes to the Drumstick Dash, my nephew ran in it with a group from VA Tech and he was the one that called me and told me it was such a large event. He and his friends had no idea people from 34 states were there until the Roanoke Times mentioned it way after the fact. So you make a good point; if you live there and didn’t hear anything and he ran in it and was clueless, Morgan’s family may not have known. But LE would have known and I’m guessing they never said anything to the Harrington’s either. That’s a little strange.

BBM
SS's statement seemed to be said so matter-of-factly in that video, it was a far cry from an emotional plea, considering her "best friend" is missing and most likely presumed deceased. I wish we knew what "it" was as well, it's odd to word something like that. Does "it" refer to Morgan going missing or does "it" refer to what they should have done to begin with, not leave Morgan alone and use the buddy system.
These friends of hers don't seem to care, they seem to be silent in hopes this will all go away.
I agree that heroine is a reach, however the painkiller industry seems to be booming among the young people. I watched a show on it, somehow had linked a video in the basement on the Haleigh thread. It seems a lot of young people snort of smoke oxys and i would think that would be what Morgan would do instead of shooting heroine. Painkillers pills may also be a gateway to using heroine if the individuals keep searching for a high. (just to add more ideas to this angle).. i do wish we knew about 6 months ago..

there are many middle to upper-middle class kids in school that have become addicted to heroin by snorting it, not being snarky, just know quite a few this has happened to. i think with these kids being young and uneducated about drugs causes them to make really bad decisions when "trying" things. when i was really young all that was there was alcohol and pot. i know that "x" can have alot of bad interactions when mixed with other things, idk, im not trying to be an expert or anything, but i dont think that there is any reason that mh wouldnt or couldnt or whatever, its just a drug like any other, oh, and also one of the side effects/symptoms of heroin can be drastic weight loss. moo

respectfully snipped to save space...

ITA!!!!

Your post makes me want to get out and do more. Does anyone know of the next big event in VA... one that would host ppl from a lot of states? I am going to do some research and start planning to attend. Anyone with me? :)

i wish i could but im across the us from you!

Hello MB Lover; Where in Roanoke are the billboards? I went into the city via 581 from Salem and then again from 220 coming from Martinsville. Did I just miss them? I was also on “the market” at that group of restaurants right were the outdoor vendors are, over at Hotel Roanoke and the Texas Tavern (of course) and saw nothing in the way of flyers. I didn’t see anything posted at the Outback Restaurant, the Coffee Pot on Brambleton Ave. or at the Valley View mall either.

My family lives in Salem and I went to Roanoke College. With the exception of Mac and Bob’s on Main Street there was nothing in Salem that I saw. Not at the other places around Mac and Bob’s or on the other side of town on West Main Street where there are so many restaurants. I didn’t actually go on campus at Roanoke to look around because of the break but kids of my friends that go to Roanoke said there was nothing up on campus regarding Morgan and no one was talking about it any longer either. I don’t know about Hollins College though. But you are right, Roanoke, Hollins and UVA do all connect in a lose “partying” sort of way. There should be flyers at those two campuses. And when it comes to the Drumstick Dash, my nephew ran in it with a group from VA Tech and he was the one that called me and told me it was such a large event. He and his friends had no idea people from 34 states were there until the Roanoke Times mentioned it way after the fact. So you make a good point; if you live there and didn’t hear anything and he ran in it and was clueless, Morgan’s family may not have known. But LE would have known and I’m guessing they never said anything to the Harrington’s either. That’s a little strange.

Billboard coming 24 West (Elm) to downtown right there at Bud's Suds before you get on I-581 was where I saw the billboard. My Mom or daughter commented on one they saw somewhere...just can't remember where they said. (These are the electronic billboards - where there's several advertisements that are displayed).

I've seen several flyers in various places and on several vehicles in the Valley. There is a convenience store on Hardy Road (may be a Stop-In) that has a flyer taped on their front door. I saw this on Thanksgiving day. (This is a store that generally gets a lot of business as it is on the way to SML.

Coffee Pot would be an excellent place to have a flyer - lots of different types of patrons frequent that nightspot.

BBM

Maybe they didn't really know each other that well. The evening was Morgan's party; that is, her parents paid for the tickets. She evidently decided to leave her own party (that is, she reportedly kissed someone goodbye). For the host or hostess to leave their own party is an insult. People might think that the attitude was like, You people are such bores ... Maybe they were angry at her.

We have to STOP the drug trade now. Unfortunately the media & the music industry seduce young people into thinking that drug abuse is "cool;" while most people see through their cheap sales gimmicks, some people are particularly susceptible for whatever reason. They mindlessly copy whatever they see on MTV. And parents are so overworked these days, they often just trust their children to use their own common sense, but unfortunately, the children might need a lot more attention than parents are able to give.

Ok, I've held off on this post for about a week now, lol.. but I have to 'vent' about the friends.... I've really, really tried to think about this from their point of view...

I GET that they may have been told by law enforcement not to talk about the case (for whatever reason...I'll give them that)

What I do not GET, and have no sympathy for, is the fact that they seem to be doing NOTHING in terms of keeping Morgan's dissapearance in the news.... I know I would pretty much have ditched my school term to do ANYTHING I could to help my missing friend. Anything. Especially if I was WITH her the night she went missing.

I would be posting on "Help find Morgan Harrington" (or anywhere else Morgan's parents also posted and felt was legitimate) at the very least... even if I had to say "I'm sorry, I wish I could answer more, but but LA has requested I not discuss that." I would be CLARIFYING some basic things (ex: who drove Morgan's car, etc) You can't tell me that they aren't "allowed" to do that.

What are her friends doing to help? And yes, they SHOULD be doing something. If they are concerned about compromising the investiagation, they could always run their comments by LA before posting. Even if it were one post just to set the record straight. If anyone knows something the friends are doing that I might have missed, please post because right now I can't imagine having "friends" like these....

Ok! Rant over. Sorry, I really needed to get that off my chest! I'm sure the friends feel bad but seriously people.... Morgan needs you!

Sorry if my above post sounded harsh, I just can't imagine going back to "business as usual" while my friend is missing. It's not like several years have passed since she went missing. If Morgan is still with us, imagine how scared she must be... :(

I actually live in Roanoke, grew up right down the street from the Coffee Pot and my daughter graduated from Rke College. She and her husband were in Rke for Thanksgiving and the first I even heard of the Drumstick run was when my son-in-law mentioned it on the very day it was taking place. That would have been such a good event to get some fliers handed out. I tried to look at the billboard mentioned at Buds Suds on the way to Valley View Mall but did not see MH on there. Guess since it is electronic, it may have not changed while I was driving past there. That is such a great place to get the information for MH out and seen by a lot of people. There is another electronic billboard over on Rt 460/Orange Ave that would be an excellent place for her information/poster as that road is so heavily traveled and bogged down most every day and so many would be seeing it. I will drive over there tomorrow and see if she is on that one.

I started from MBLover's excellent recap at the end of thread #7, my additions are in red:

1) Tickets for Metallica purchased approx 6 months in advance - purchased by DH for MH and friends (some have said there were 9 tickets others have said there were 4 or 6 - but we know there were at least 4 tickets - one for MH, one for Amy, one for Sarah and one for mystery bf of friend guy).
I know this has been discussed, but can we get a link that says her mom/dad bought the tickets? I can only find repeated over and over how she was so excited she had the tickets on the fridge for 6 months. IMO this comment could even go as far as a slip with the plural of tickets. how do we know she and a group of friends didnt buy tickets together and have hers on the fridge? I guess not that big of a deal but everyone seems to think it so just wanted to add that.

2) Shopping trip for clothes for concert (was there a shopping trip or merely “trying on session”?) - Choice of 3 different ones - she and Mom decide on outfit. Pantera t-shirt/top with mini skirt, black tights, at knee or above knee mid heel boots. Also carrying purse that can be carried as a backpack.
I believe just a tryon session. It is stated her boots were not over the knee. sightings have noted above the knee. She stayed the night at the parents on Friday, as well as Wed. that week. Left at noon. Dad did not see her that day.

<<<<<3) Sometime Sat. MH & roommate (however she got to the Harrington's) leaves for Harrisonburg to pick up other friend for concert. MH arrives safely per phone conversation with her Dad.

4) Sometime Sat. MH, roommate & friend (were there others?) leave JMU & pick up mystery guy somewhere around/between JMU & C'ville. Friend was driving MH’s car.>>>>>
After leaving Roanoke at 12 she and the roommate from Blacksburg go to Harrisonburg to pick up friend and a friends boyfriend. The friends address states Crozet. Calls dad at 2.

Ok, I've held off on this post for about a week now, lol.. but I have to 'vent' about the friends.... I've really, really tried to think about this from their point of view...

I GET that they may have been told by law enforcement not to talk about the case (for whatever reason...I'll give them that)

What I do not GET, and have no sympathy for, is the fact that they seem to be doing NOTHING in terms of keeping Morgan's dissapearance in the news.... I know I would pretty much have ditched my school term to do ANYTHING I could to help my missing friend. Anything. Especially if I was WITH her the night she went missing.

I would be posting on "Help find Morgan Harrington" (or anywhere else Morgan's parents also posted and felt was legitimate) at the very least... even if I had to say "I'm sorry, I wish I could answer more, but but LA has requested I not discuss that." I would be CLARIFYING some basic things (ex: who drove Morgan's car, etc) You can't tell me that they aren't "allowed" to do that.

What are her friends doing to help? And yes, they SHOULD be doing something. If they are concerned about compromising the investiagation, they could always run their comments by LA before posting. Even if it were one post just to set the record straight. If anyone knows something the friends are doing that I might have missed, please post because right now I can't imagine having "friends" like these....

Ok! Rant over. Sorry, I really needed to get that off my chest! I'm sure the friends feel bad but seriously people.... Morgan needs you!

First of all, they probably aren't friends; they are just acquaintances. Secondly, anything they say can and will be used against them in a civil suit (something along the lines of "depraved indifference" or "reckless endangerment.") Possibly they can be charged with criminal offenses, too. We don't know yet.

I started from MBLover's excellent recap at the end of thread #7, my additions are in red:

1) Tickets for Metallica purchased approx 6 months in advance - purchased by DH for MH and friends (some have said there were 9 tickets others have said there were 4 or 6 - but we know there were at least 4 tickets - one for MH, one for Amy, one for Sarah and one for mystery bf of friend guy).
I know this has been discussed, but can we get a link that says her mom/dad bought the tickets? I can only find repeated over and over how she was so excited she had the tickets on the fridge for 6 months. IMO this comment could even go as far as a slip with the plural of tickets. how do we know she and a group of friends didnt buy tickets together and have hers on the fridge? I guess not that big of a deal but everyone seems to think it so just wanted to add that.

2) Shopping trip for clothes for concert (was there a shopping trip or merely &#8220;trying on session&#8221;?) - Choice of 3 different ones - she and Mom decide on outfit. Pantera t-shirt/top with mini skirt, black tights, at knee or above knee mid heel boots. Also carrying purse that can be carried as a backpack.
I believe just a tryon session. It is stated her boots were not over the knee. sightings have noted above the knee. She stayed the night at the parents on Friday, as well as Wed. that week. Left at noon. Dad did not see her that day.

<<<<<3) Sometime Sat. MH & roommate (however she got to the Harrington's) leaves for Harrisonburg to pick up other friend for concert. MH arrives safely per phone conversation with her Dad.

4) Sometime Sat. MH, roommate & friend (were there others?) leave JMU & pick up mystery guy somewhere around/between JMU & C'ville. Friend was driving MH&#8217;s car.>>>>>
After leaving Roanoke at 12 she and the roommate from Blacksburg go to Harrisonburg to pick up friend and a friends boyfriend. The friends address states Crozet. Calls dad at 2.

hi wanttohelp, your additions are in green, i think :crazy: unless that isnt you??

but yes, i agree about the tickets. i remember the first time that came up in the first thread and it was because it sounded like her mother said tickets plural...but i have never heard for certain if there were multiple and for a fact who bought them. and her mother only said of the boots that they were tall black motorcycle boots...im not sure really what that means but over the knee womens boot are something entirely different, moo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname