Found Deceased VA - Nicole Clardy Mittendorff, 31, Woodbridge, 13 April 2016 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mostly it has to do with certain lack of specifics. However, I just learned this was a presser from the fire department and not one called by the VSP which may be the reason why.
I do still have a feeling of foul play.

Other thoughts . .
Suicide? Possible, but not likely imho. Fitness and endorphins! Plus we've heard nothing to indicate trouble or dissatisfaction in personal/professional life.
Accident on trail? Unlikely, because I believe she would have be found.
Accident off trail? Possible, but hikers are more likely to go off-trail, not runners.

The above is only my personal opinions that weigh in as to why I lean more towards foul play.

She was recently separated from her husband. They were not living together. They have only been married for 3 years... I think that's something that would be cause for personal dissatisfaction.

I wouldn't totally dismiss the wildfire angle, but they certainly could be common now. With nice weather, plenty of hikers are out. I think the bubble of hikers on the Appalachian Trail are now in VA. There are probably quite a few thru hikers in the park right now. Often, fires will start when someone thinks they put it out while camping, but they didn't. I'm sure there is more green down there, but up here in PA, everything is dry and dead. They've even done some controlled burns recently in my local state park.

As for wildlife attacks, of course it is possible, but it is so rare. I can't find a single wild fatal bear attack ever in VA. In fact, the fatal one in the Smokeys a few years ago was the first known one in the south I believe. As far as rattlesnakes, they kill people from time to time, but that is rare too. I run in rattlesnake country all the time. Probably have done several thousand miles on trails like that and I've never seen a rattlesnake. I ran briefly on the AT with Scott Jurek last year (he set the fastest time on the trail last year). I asked him about rattlers and at that point he had not seen one and he'd traveled about 1200 miles at that point. He did eventually see one farther north. Also, snakes don't want to bite you. You almost have to step on one or pick it up to actually get bit.

A tree could've fallen on her of course, but assuming she's on trail, she'd probably be found then.

can someone shoot me a link from main stream media or law enforcement about bullying? I keep seeing references to it but haven't read it anywhere but here. Thanks
Someone mentioned previously that they found an unflattering post about her on another site, and reported it to the authorities. But it hasn't been mentioned in MSM, and I don't believe we can link to it.

I wouldn't totally dismiss the wildfire angle, but they certainly could be common now. With nice weather, plenty of hikers are out. I think the bubble of hikers on the Appalachian Trail are now in VA. There are probably quite a few thru hikers in the park right now. Often, fires will start when someone thinks they put it out while camping, but they didn't. I'm sure there is more green down there, but up here in PA, everything is dry and dead. They've even done some controlled burns recently in my local state park.

As for wildlife attacks, of course it is possible, but it is so rare. I can't find a single wild fatal bear attack ever in VA. In fact, the fatal one in the Smokeys a few years ago was the first known one in the south I believe. As far as rattlesnakes, they kill people from time to time, but that is rare too. I run in rattlesnake country all the time. Probably have done several thousand miles on trails like that and I've never seen a rattlesnake. I ran briefly on the AT with Scott Jurek last year (he set the fastest time on the trail last year). I asked him about rattlers and at that point he had not seen one and he'd traveled about 1200 miles at that point. He did eventually see one farther north. Also, snakes don't want to bite you. You almost have to step on one or pick it up to actually get bit.

A tree could've fallen on her of course, but assuming she's on trail, she'd probably be found then.

You are correct about black bears, usually not aggressive and the ones in Shenandoah are more used to people since the park can get very crowded.

Rattlesnakes most likely weren't very active with the temps the days she went missing.

Am I missing something? She was reported missing when she didn't show up for work on Friday but was last seen Thursday? Does her husband work out of town or something? Wouldn't he have noticed her missing Thursday night? There isn't much information available it seems.

You are exactly right. A woman did see her car on the the drive IN the park. And she totally noticed it because of the rarity of the car. It stuck out in her mind and she stared at it as it went by. I don't know the details of what she saw but she was told to contact the VSP and let them know. I believe it would cement that her car only arrived at the location they found it on the DAY that they found it. Means she may not have driven there on Wednesday which is what has been proffered by the VSP

Doesn't matter if it was true or not, the fact that her name was mentioned In a public forum by someone the way it was and that would show up on any Google search of her name would most likely have shaken her up or caused paranoia IMO.

How long ago did it start?

I never saw a snake on the trails, but they are there and plentiful. Most hikers I know have encountered a rattlesnake or copperhead at least once on those trails. Bears and snakes are not the only dangerous wildlife in the park. While they are more rare, I would be more afraid to come across a mountain lion than a bear. Any rabid animal presents a danger.

Mid December of 2015. So about 4 months ago.

That is very recent. If she didn't know who was behind it, then I suspect that it was tremendously upsetting, and that she felt at risk. Are the identities of the people behind the online bullying known?

That is very recent. If she didn't know who was behind it, then I suspect that it was tremendously upsetting, and that she felt at risk. Are the identities of the people behind the online bullying known?

Can't be verified but believed to be fellow people within the local firefighting community.

Anonymous user names, but some of the more prolific posters might reveal enough information for her to figure out who it is. The firefighter community in Fairfax seems to be tight knit.

Nope. There is one guy on that site who bullied the heck out of another guy and he's in jail now (unrelated I think). But that site is almost completely anonymous, which IMO, because it's so anonymous, anything written there is more than likely true.

Actually, there was a local attorney who tried bringing a suit against that website if I'm not mistaken. Someone took up on there and trashed her name. I'll have to look it up cos I can't remember what happened.

Does anyone know if any LE agency is involved in the investigation besides VSP?

The online message board discussion regarding NM is not in itself rumor. Things were said online about her. That's a fact. Regardless of the veracity of what was alleged on that message board, the impact of those accusations being made in a public forum must be considered as a possible reason for the current situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't be verified but believed to be fellow people within the local firefighting community.

That's vague. I think it should be investigated to rule out the possibility there was another, unknown party involved.

I never saw a snake on the trails, but they are there and plentiful. Most hikers I know have encountered a rattlesnake or copperhead at least once on those trails. Bears and snakes are not the only dangerous wildlife in the park. While they are more rare, I would be more afraid to come across a mountain lion than a bear. Any rabid animal presents a danger.

There has only been one fatal mountain lion attack in North America in the past decade. Black bear attacks are almost as rare. Honestly, bees and ticks are probably the most "dangerous" wildlife in SNP, but an animal attack is the least likely explanation for what has happened to Nicole, IMO.

The online message board discussion regarding NM is not in itself rumor. Things were said online about her. That's a fact. Regardless of the veracity of what was alleged on that message board, the impact of those accusations being made in a public forum must be considered as a possible reason for the current situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This makes me think someone she knows targeted her as a result of the bullying.

This makes me think someone she knows targeted her as a result of the bullying.
Are there any other examples of someone targeting someone based on one comment on an anonymous internet message board? Seems out there. IMO it would impact her more than anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member