Found Deceased VA - Nicole Clardy Mittendorff, 31, Woodbridge, 13 April 2016 - #2

Odd that an urban county with no mountains would have such resources.
Mostly federally funded I believe. Which is why they had to get federal permission to use them. They work with FEMA on the US and USAID for overseas support.

Yes, special teams rappelling down into the canyon, it's rough out there, not like Central Park.

Which article? I can't find one that says the dogs hit on something and I'd like to read that!

Also, to anyone, I keep reading here that she actually visited a gym. Is that verified or just a guess since she was assumed to be in the area of her gym? I'd think that her gym would likely be able to verify through a sign-in sheet or swipe card if she was there and when.
I just haven't seen it verified but admittedly I may have missed that in an article.

I've scrolled through everything from the gym on SM- Crossfit Warrenton. There is a comment from a person asking if she was at the gym Wednesday and it has gone unanswered. They also have removed pictures of Nicole from their webpage which had comments from her husband.

The "Find Nicole" page is being cryptic about her last whereabouts. Anytime someone asks a question- they give a pocketed "Thanks for your prayers and support. Law enforcement is using all available resources" Answer.

I've looked every where and can't find anything from MSM on when someone saw her last.

I am still trying to find anything that says when she was last seen? It isn't explicitly stated anywhere on MSM when someone last had eyes on her.

There have been SM comments about her being at her workout class Monday night- but we have figured out she was on B shift- which means she was scheduled to work- and no one has mentioned her not being at work Monday.

There have also been comments that she was at a workout class in Warrenton Wednesday- which as far as I can find hasn't been report anywhere. It has been widely reported that the last hit on her cell phone was from a Warrenton cell tower @ 10:50 Wednesday morning.

Can anyone find anything to dispute the above?

I've done searches on the internet and looked through the Facebook account and I can't find anything on when and where she was last seen. A few of us on here are baffled by that point.

If the terrain is so rough, is it possible that she is 'just' lost?

Interesting read in the link below, particularly the comments about "eighty per cent of adults who go missing have mental health issues. And myriad factors such as alcoholism, domestic abuse, debt, medical problems and relationship problems can play a part."

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19360824

That being said, the longer she is missing the greater the likelihood that she is no longer with us. I saw where someone posted the weather in a previous thread and that area had lows of 34 degrees. Thats almost freezing and if she were hurt and in shock, whos knows if that wasnt enough to push her past her endurance.

I think whatever is on her phone might give them some clues.

BBM - uh, no, I never said that. It makes sense to me, with my perspective on suicide.

Also I'm not seeing anyone on that VA misper list who is described as being a risk to themselves. All the psychological issues described refer to things like "needs medication", or issues that people are prepared to accept/understand - self harm is not one of those issues, and unfortunately people are more likely to shrug and turn away if they think someone is missing by their own choice.

I also completely reject the concept of "dismissing" this - or any case - just because I believe there is more pointing to it likely being suicide rather than foul play. I also object strongly to the implication that I "assume the worst about her" because of that feeling. I most certainly don't. Unlike many I am not judgemental when it comes to people choosing to end their own lives.

Nicole is still missing. I hope she's ok but I at this point it seems unlikely. And I would rather she left her life on her own terms than in terror at the hands of another.

This is an excellent post and the point you made about the missing persons list is exactly right. Any one I have seen that references a missing person where any sort of sensitive medical info is released is bc of a medication they need that they may be without or bc they suffer from something that would make it hard for them to find their way to safety.

I also agree and find it unfair to Nicole to say that because she may have been depressed or going through a difficult time in life, it is assuming the worst about her. I think if anything people have been compassionate towards her and are saddened at the thought of her possibly being in emotional pain.

I did a quick check with White Pages app on my iPhone and see her husband's address is in Woodbridge and I find a Nikki Clardy shown as residing in Herndon, VA. I believe that may be her.

That's possible, but I never take it for granted that White Pages (or other internet addresses services) are up to date.

I did a quick check with White Pages app on my iPhone and see her husband's address is in Woodbridge and I find a Nikki Clardy shown as residing in Herndon, VA. I believe that may be her.
Hmm, could be old. I assume she has lived in this area for awhile since she went to GMU. I wouldn't count on it being updated with new address and name within a few months.

I was out there early this week helping, and there are many reasons not to have untrained volunteers helping out there. The trails and immediately surrounding areas were obviously covered first. What's left is backcountry. Fairly steep terrain, rocks, holes, brush. Wouldn't want to complicate a high-profile search by having to search for or extract a lost or injured volunteer. The kind of searching involved here is not trail hiking, it's pushing through deadfall/blowdown and rhododendron, circumnavigating (and searching) huge boulders, not to mention searching the kind of areas where bears might make their dens.

They do have plenty of searchers gearing up for the weekend, though. Between that and consolidating all the info they've been able to gather this week, I suspect and hope they make a find this weekend.

But keep in mind, SAR isn't just finding out where someone is, sometimes it's confirming where a person is NOT. That's where any foul play scenarios may come into play.

It was deleted I think. But the Nikki Clardy of Herndon, VA is not the Nicole Clardy Mittendorff we are searching for. Different full name, no known associations, and not the same age.

BBM - uh, no, I never said that. It makes sense to me, with my perspective on suicide.

Also I'm not seeing anyone on that VA misper list who is described as being a risk to themselves. All the psychological issues described refer to things like "needs medication", or issues that people are prepared to accept/understand - self harm is not one of those issues, and unfortunately people are more likely to shrug and turn away if they think someone is missing by their own choice.

I also completely reject the concept of "dismissing" this - or any case - just because I believe there is more pointing to it likely being suicide rather than foul play. I also object strongly to the implication that I "assume the worst about her" because of that feeling. I most certainly don't. Unlike many I am not judgemental when it comes to people choosing to end their own lives.

Nicole is still missing. I hope she's ok but I at this point it seems unlikely. And I would rather she left her life on her own terms than in terror at the hands of another.

I definitely think that avoiding dismissal in the case of a potential suicidal missing person's case is essential. There is a huge chance of public dismissal of a case that includes mental illness, just simply because of the stigma attached. Even more so if the police are inclined to think that she left of her own volition. I tend to agree with Wolf Dreamer.

Somewhat on a related topic, the human brain is a crazy, complex thing. Especially when a person is, or potentially is, suicidal. For a lot of people, it's an ebb-and-flow type decision-making process. Everyone person is different and people who are under different pressures, have different experiences, or have a different pattern of thought than myself may behave differently. When it comes to specifics (eg, "A suicidal person would not call out of work sick"), it's very hard to rule out suicide based on tiny actions that a person in distress may have made. Thus, based on the evidence presented to the public so far, it seems to be impossible to me to rule out any of the different scenarios.

On that note, too, it seems to me that the main concern from the police is finding her, physically, and that they may have an inkling of what happened.

I hope she is found, safely. I honestly hope that the police know enough more than they are telling the public that they are able to find her with great speed.

I've done searches on the internet and looked through the Facebook account and I can't find anything on when and where she was last seen. A few of us on here are baffled by that point.

I was surprised about that but at this point I can only think that the investigators have a very good reason for not publicizing that detail. What that reason is will likely remain a mystery until NM is found or something in the investigation changes. Clearly there are many details that are purposefully not being made public at this point and this is what those leading the investigation feel is best. As others have said, if her family felt the investigators were not doing everything they could to find Nicole they could easily make their feelings public.

Hopefully today brings good news for her family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W4R_DR1V3R
Back