VA VA - Norfolk, WhtMale 16-25, UP120189, Timex watch, wavy long hair, found floating in river near bridge, Mar'73

ProudSuggestion3528

Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
NamUs# UP120189
UID White/Caucasian Male
Norfolk, VA

Case Numbers​

ME/C Case NumberT1973-00001

Demographics​

Biological Sex: Male
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian
Estimated Age Group: Adult - Pre 30
Estimated Age Range (Years): 16-25
Estimated Year of Death: 1973
Estimated PMI: 3 Days
Height: 6' 0"(72 inches) , Measured
Weight: 190 lbs, Measured

Circumstances​

Type: Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found: March 25, 1973
NamUs Case Created: April 16, 2024

Location Found Map

County: Norfolk City
Found On Tribal Land: No
Circumstances of Recovery: An unidentified white male was found floating in the Lafayette River near the Hampton Blvd bridge; no evidence of injury, no identifying marks, no items in pockets that could be used to identify him.

Details of Recovery​

Inventory of Remains: All parts recovered
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction

Physical Description​

Hair Color: Blond/Strawberry
Head Hair Description: Blond hair, wavy and long
Eye Color: Brown

No Distinctive Physical Features Info Entered​

Clothing and Accessories​

ItemDescriptionLocation
AccessoriesTimex wristwatch on left wristOn the Body
ClothingT-shirt with the label "Stedman" and size Small 34-36 Jockey shorts "Stedman" brand in size 34 Blue short sleeve dress shirt with "Fleetline" on the label and "16" on the collar Medium red trousers with white pin stripes approx 1 in apart, label "Haggar" Light tan socks Olive drab fur-lined zipper jacket (Heavy)On the Body
ClothingItem found in the pocket of the coat: blue swimming trunks, "Sears" label with size "Medium 32-34"On the Body
FootwearBlack tennis shoes size 12-nonspecific blue ink marks on the white rubber toes (possibly Converse tennis shoes)On The Body
Media Coverage

UP120189.jpg
0 MP Exclusions/Rule Outs

There are indeed some common details between the two cases. There is only about a two week difference between the boy's disappearance and the body recovery. It seems odd, however, that a connection would not have been made in March 1973.

In reading just the Unidentified person information, I see some US Navy connections.

There are indeed some common details between the two cases. There is only about a two week difference between the boy's disappearance and the body recovery. It seems odd, however, that a connection would not have been made in March 1973.

In reading just the Unidentified person information, I see some US Navy connections.
I don’t think it’s odd. There are so many cases (Daisy Heath comes to mind) where the connection is not made until decades later.

It's pretty much a perfect match. But how on earth could LE (or the parents) have missed this at the time?

So he was fully clothed with swim trunks in his pocket?
Yeah, swimming trunks in March in VA seems odd, when he was only thought to have been dead 3 days. I'd assume they were for indoor swimming? Perhaps this Doe and the missing person mentioned above will turn out to be a match.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Core.B
Back