VA VA - Rockbridge Co, WhtMal 20-40, 149UMVA, hitchhiker 'Chris', clothes, VA glasses, crucifix, May'87

149UMVA.jpg
149UMVA2.jpg
149UMVA3.jpg
149UMVA4.jpg
149UMVA5.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim

Date of Discovery: May 27, 1987
Location of Discovery: Rockbridge County, Virginia
Estimated Date of Death: Weeks prior.
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Cause of Death: Homicide by gunshot wound to the head and abdomen.

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 21-40 years old
Race: White
Sex: Male
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 150 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Wedge shape narrow mouth. Near sighted. Wore black plastic frame glasses. Eyeglasses are for a nearsighted person and were similar to the type issued by the Veterans Administration to Vets. Prescription for nearsightedness. The prescription is as follows: "Right O.D. -2.25 Spherical 5ph Cylindrical, Left OS -2.25 Spherical 5ph Cylindrical, Distance pd = 61mm BC 4.25 OV, Single vision clear glass." No surgical scars & no tattoos.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. Lower 6 year molars removed around age 10; upper eye teeth removed around age 13; may have needed braces.
Fingerprints: Available.
DNA: Unknown

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Spec. 4 military shirt (short- sleeved) and a heavy brown winter coat with wool/fur interior. Blue jeans with brown belt (belt contains flaking white paint) and has a square belt buckle with a Longhorn Steer. White sweatsocks with green/yellow ankle stripes. Brown slipover shoes.
Jewelry: Metal Crucifix with chain attached.
Additional Personal Items: Switch blade knife, cigarette lighter, cassette tape, eye glasses, pocket size memo pad and $10.12 in cash.

Circumstances of Discovery
On May 27, 1987, highway workers discovered a partially decomposed body along the southbound shoulder of I-81 South, Mile Post 183. The victim died as a result of a gunshot wound to the right side of the head and right side of the body. Handwritten notes in the victims pocket referred to a truck and trailer number and the trucking firm of J.B. Hunt Trucking Company out of Lowell, Arkansas. A check of this company revealed that John Swartz was operating a tractor-trailer through Virginia at this time.

John Swartz, who was convicted in this homicide, left Little Rock, Arkansas on May 16, 1987 with a load of toys to be delivered to Edison, New Jersey. Along the way he picked up "Chris" at the Petro Truck stop in Wytheville, Virginia, four to five hours away from this destination. At the truck stop, Chris told John he had been stuck at the truck stop for two days without food. Chris stated he was trying to get to an uncertain location to go camping. John made an offer to pay Chris for unloading his truck. They arrived in New Jersey on the 18th of May and he paid Chris fifty dollars for unload help. Chris bought food and a small folding knife with this money. An argument ensued over money with Chris demanding $100 and several of Swartz's personal items in the truck. Chris threatened to turn in John for having an unauthorized rider, and at some point put John's name and truck company in his pocket. The next day they got another load, and started back toward Arkansas. While at a truck stop in Raphine, Virginia, Swartz said that Chris pulled out his knife, and made threats of harm if he did not get more money or Swartz's personal items. Around 4.00 a.m., several miles down Interstate 81, Swartz pulled over to the shoulder, and told Chris that he had to relieve himself. Chris got out and at this time, was shot and killed. The next morning Swartz discarded Chris' possessions and continued on to Arkansas. Swartz died in prison.

The accuracy of the sketch is unknown; it was compiled with the aide of the killer. The victim was gathering camping supplies for a hike on a trail (believed to be the Appalachian Trail). Victim misspelled simple words.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Virginia State Police - BCI
Agency Contact Person: First Sergeant George Gibbs
Agency Phone Number: 540-375-9546
Agency E-Mail: Unknown
Agency Case Number: W1987-45587

Agency Name: Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
Agency Contact Person: Investigator William Everett
Agency Phone Number: Unknown
Agency E-Mail: Unknown
Agency Case Number: W1987-45587

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: UP6248

Information Source(s)
NamUs
ID Wanted Organization
149UMVA

There is mention of a cassette tape. Was it a music recording or something else? Carrying a cassette around without a player seems odd. Did he maybe have a Walkman or something that was left in Swartz's truck? It shouldn't have been hard for LE to find a cassette player in 1987 to see what was on it.

Is there a court transcript somewhere that describes what other possessions were from "Chris" that Swartz later discarded?

What an interesting case. I don't believe a word his murderer said.

There was justice but yet, not really, because the real story remains unknown. I hope he will at least be identified.

His exclusions list is apparently no longer visible. These are the names I collected from various posts upthread:

Victor Abrego 1958 California
Richard Bayne 1953 New York
Michael Bearup 1954 Michigan
Bruce Boughton 1951 California
Stephen Bovard 1962 Louisiana
Randall Brosius 1954 Pennsylvania
Steven Bunch 1959 Kentucky
William Cordes 1968 California
Clarence Dellis 1940 Louisiana
William Downey 1974 Washington
Edward DuBarry 1947 New Jersey
Stuart Garbowitz 1956 California
Eloy Garcia 1950 California
Angelo Gatti 1952 California
Harry Gibson 1952 Arizona
Lloyd Gilsdorf 1952 Florida
Gregg Haskell 1965 Florida
Kipling Hess III 1966 Florida
Raymond Hunley 1963 Indiana
Michael Hunter 1955 Colorado
Reeves Johnson 1951 Maine
Mark Kommel 1948 New York
John Martin 1951 New York
Phillip Montoya 1959 California
William Newman, Jr. 1955 Louisiana
Richard Rhyne 1953 Texas
Robert Sanfelice 1951 New York
Thomas Scott 1956 Texas
Claude Shelton 1934 Kentucky
Bobby Stephens 1953 Michigan
Virgil Tackett 1968 Alaska
Robert Thrasher 1952 Washington
John Troha 1963 Michigan
Amadeo Vigil 1955 Colorado
Paul Vogen 1953 Arizona
JAMES WELTER 1951 Mississippi
George Bugher
Ross Crane
Thomas Gordinier
Steven Hedgers
Louis Hogan Jr.
Stephen Lund
Thomas Maxwell
Harold Melching
Jan Mlot
Jimmy Robinson
Richard Viglizzo
Kenneth Welch
Duane Winger

Name:
Robert A Biela
Birth Date:12 May 1950
Address:813 E Taylor St
Residence Place:Harlingen, Texas, USA
Zip Code:78550-7267

I thought it was interesting that this event happened so close to his birthday,

I'd like to know the nature of his disability.

There's also a picture of a watch in the NAMUS file. It would be of interest to know the manufacturer; the name isn't clear even when I zoom in. The manufacturer can be a clue as to where the victim shopped or lived. It's an analog and LCD combo, not really expensive, but often made for retailers under several names.

I emailed the contact for Robert's case to see what the nature of his disability was.

More photos of his possessions were added to NAMUS today.
Thanks. These are Interesting additions. The note shown in NamUs seems to give directions in PA north of Philadelphia toward NJ: I-95 to Woodhaven/Hwy 63, then US1 N toward Morrisville. I'm not sure what the significance of thsee directions are. But if written by the victim, they seem at odds with the statement "Victim misspelled simple words"
(149UMVA).

The "g" has an unusual shape. There's a couple of words I can't make out, but the rest seem pretty clear and are spelled correctly.

Attachments

• ChrisVA.jpg
    ChrisVA.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 17
Thanks. These are Interesting additions. The note shown in NamUs seems to give directions in PA north of Philadelphia toward NJ: I-95 to Woodhaven/Hwy 63, then US1 N toward Morrisville. I'm not sure what the significance of thsee directions are. But if written by the victim, they seem at odds with the statement "Victim misspelled simple words"
(149UMVA).

The "g" has an unusual shape. There's a couple of words I can't make out, but the rest seem pretty clear and are spelled correctly.
I looked at the note also. I am not sure that the note was written by the victim. Particularly the "swing wide" note would seem like direction the driver would write indicating a need to swing the truck wide in order to make the turn with the trailer. These seem to be directions to get to 276 westbound. I wonder if the notebook actually belonged to Swartz and the victim at some point pocketed it. Maybe directions to a different run that he made in the truck. Although it would seem that this information would be known to LE at this point.

I looked at the note also. I am not sure that the note was written by the victim. Particularly the "swing wide" note would seem like direction the driver would write indicating a need to swing the truck wide in order to make the turn with the trailer. These seem to be directions to get to 276 westbound. I wonder if the notebook actually belonged to Swartz and the victim at some point pocketed it. Maybe directions to a different run that he made in the truck. Although it would seem that this information would be known to LE at this point.
Yes, I noticed the "swing wide" might apply to truck directions. It's possible "Chris" took notes to help the trucker out at some point. It could have been on the way to Edison, NJ, maybe with a slight detour due to traffic or construction. Maybe the driver couldn't interpret the odd "g", hence the comment about misspelled words. I don't know where else anyone could have observed Chris' handwriting. It's not clear if the note found in his pocket with the trucking co. info was detached from the notebook and had similar writing. But I could go 50/50 on whose handwriting it is, Chris or the trucker. All we have to go on now is Swartz's account, which doesn't seem very reliable. MOO

Yes, I noticed the "swing wide" might apply to truck directions. It's possible "Chris" took notes to help the trucker out at some point. It could have been on the way to Edison, NJ, maybe with a slight detour due to traffic or construction. Maybe the driver couldn't interpret the odd "g", hence the comment about misspelled words. I don't know where else anyone could have observed Chris' handwriting. It's not clear if the note found in his pocket with the trucking co. info was detached from the notebook and had similar writing. But I could go 50/50 on whose handwriting it is, Chris or the trucker. All we have to go on now is Swartz's account, which doesn't seem very reliable. MOO
The whole route 95 / 295 thing is confusing it kinda splits and 95 runs through Philly yet NJ turnpike (commonly referred to a 95 for its entire length) turns into 95 closer to NY. So someone may have taken the 95 split thinking they were headed to Edison and actually been headed to Philly 276 turns back into 95 it seems and heads right to Edison area. Maybe they took the wrong road and stopped for directions which the driver wrote and "Chris " was reading off?

There's also a picture of a watch in the NAMUS file. It would be of interest to know the manufacturer; the name isn't clear even when I zoom in. The manufacturer can be a clue as to where the victim shopped or lived. It's an analog and LCD combo, not really expensive, but often made for retailers under several names.

I think it also says QUARTZ at the top and "Water 50M" at the bottom. I can't make out the last word but it's probably "resistant." It doesn't look like a really expensive watch, but it's not cheap either.

The watch overall is very similar to one I owned in the 80s, which was a Bulova. But that doesn't look like what the name says.

@Caring1 Hey could you post the current list of NamUs exclusions for this John Doe? I would greatly appreciate it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back