GUILTY VA - Shana Hight, 24, brutally murdered, Virginia Beach, 13 Sept 2010

Probably not a gun due to noise. Knife or baseball bat type of weapons.

I wonder if LE was given some type of tip that made them search the water. I would assume they were looking for a weapon of some type. They still haven't said how this young lady was murdered have they?

No they have not said much except that she was bound and bloody.

I'm so glad they have an arrest here. Way to go LE!

Salem

My thoughts and prayers go to Shana's husband and family.....

THis is about 50 miles from me. I'm north in Gloucester

So glad they've got a suspect in custody. I can only imagine the fear that the women in that area have been feeling!

I don't understand why they're still not revealing the cause of death, even after the arrest. I'm sure there's a reason, but that is unusual.

What a low life creep! I am glad they caught this ,you can not trust anyone anymore.How sad such a beautiful young life was taken.Prays to her loved ones.

I find it strange that he would have knocked on her door when he first moved in asking if her husband could help him move his sofa into the apartment. Who helped him get the sofa loaded up before he got to the apartments? Of course, we have no way of knowing if he is telling the truth about how he met her. My son is stationed in Virginia Beach and when ever he has had to move, he has always had other Navy buddies to help him out.

I noticed in one of the other articles that her family said that they thought that she died on the 10th, which was her birthday, because she did not answer her phone or respond to any of their Facebook messages. I would be willing to bet that he came on to her and she rejected him which sent him into his murdering frenzy. I feel badly for her family. RIP Shanna!

Robert Lee Sadler III, who was a gunner's mate assigned to Maritime Expeditionary Security Squadron 6, was indicted on a first-degree murder charge in January. A grand jury this month returned the new, more serious charges: capital murder in the commission of an abduction and capital murder in the commission of a sexual assault, said Macie Pridgen, a spokeswoman for Commonwealth's Attorney Harvey Bryant.
http://www.military.com/news/articl...navy-wifes-murder.html?wh=news&ESRC=navy-a.nl

Robert Sadler was convicted of the murder of Shana Hight, unfortunately her husband Scott Dunn did not live to see the conviction. Read the stories below for more information.

Sailor gets life sentence for Va. murder

By William H. McMichael - Staff writer
Posted : Tuesday Aug 23, 2011 22:06:42 EDT

A 22-year-old sailor, Gunner’s Mate Seaman Robert Lee Sadler III, was sentenced to life in prison without parole Tuesday after pleading guilty to capital murder in the September death of Shana R. Hight, the wife of a deployed sailor.

Virginia Beach Circuit Court Judge Patricia L. West accepted the plea agreement and meted out the sentence, according to court spokeswoman Macie Pridgen.

If he hadn’t entered a guilty plea, Sadler would have gone to trial in early 2012 on one count of first-degree murder, one count of capital murder in the commission of abduction with intent to defile, and capital murder in the commission of a sexual assault, and would have faced the death penalty.

Sadler pleaded guilty to the second count.

Hight’s husband of two years was not there to hear the verdict and sentence. Electrician’s Mate 3rd Class Scott Michael Dunn killed himself with a gunshot July 31.

Dunn, 23, had been living in the same Virginia Beach apartment complex where he’d lived with Hight, who was killed on Sept. 13, 2010, while Dunn was deployed aboard the carrier Harry S. Truman. Dunn had since moved to a different apartment.

If the matter had gone to trial, Pridgen said prosecutors would have proved that on Sept. 10, 2010, Sadler went to Hight’s apartment to ask her to help him move a couch. At first she refused but when he returned to ask again, she agreed. She walked away from the opened door to get her shoes and returned to the door. Sadler, Pridgen said, stabbed her near her shoulder and neck and began choking her, then overpowered her and bound her feet and hands with zip ties. He then taped her mouth shut and, using a kitchen knife, cut off her clothes. Sadler left the apartment and came back several times over the weekend to clean up, Pridgen said.

Hight was found dead on the bathroom floor three days later after her mother called apartment managers after having not recently heard from her daughter.

Sadler lived in an apartment upstairs with his wife.

On Nov. 3, 2010, Sadler was caught in a women’s shower room at Norfolk Naval Shipyard in Portsmouth, Va., while a female officer was showering. Later the same day, the Navy turned Sadler over to Virginia Beach Police Detective Janine Hall. Sadler told her he’d abducted and murdered Hight, saying that he wanted to see her naked. He admitted following another woman “with similar intentions,” but lost her in traffic, Pridgen said.

Virginia Beach Commonwealth’s Attorney Harvey Bryant said the plea agreement “was approved and recommended by members of Shana Hight’s immediate family. Their desire was to have a relatively speedy and certain resolution, rather than face the uncertainty of a prolonged trial and appeal process.

“Shana’s family has suffered a great deal as a result of this murder,” Bryant said. “This conclusion of the matter so early in a process that otherwise takes years relieves some of the fears and concerns they had.”

Sadler will be imprisoned in a maximum security prison, spending 23 hours a day in a cell by himself, Pridgen said. The Navy confirmed Sadler will be separated as the result of his civilian conviction.

Snipped from:
http://www.navytimes.com/news/2011/...ets-life-sentence-for-virginia-murder-082311/

Virginia Beach sailor’s death ruled a suicide

By William H. McMichael - Staff writer
Posted : Thursday Aug 4, 2011 18:45:54 EDT

The sailor found dead Sunday in his Virginia Beach apartment killed himself with a gunshot, the state medical examiner has ruled.

The finding confirms the preliminary assessment by police.

Electrician’s Mate 3rd Class Scott Michael Dunn, 23, was found after police responded to an emergency call late Sunday night. The call was made by a friend who was with Dunn at the time, Virginia Beach Police spokesman Jimmy Barnes said.

Dunn took his life in the same apartment complex where he had lived with his wife, Shana Hight, who was killed on Sept. 13, 2010, while Dunn was deployed aboard the carrier Harry S. Truman. Dunn had since moved to a different apartment within the same complex, located in the Shipps Corner neighborhood just off the southwest corner of Naval Air Station Oceana.

Hight and Dunn had been married two years when she was killed.

Hight’s accused killer has yet to stand trial and probably won’t until early 2012, according to courts spokeswoman Macie Pridgen. Gunner’s Mate Seaman Robert Lee Sadler, 22, is charged with one count of first-degree murder, one count of capital murder in the commission of abduction, and capital murder in the commission of a sexual assault. If convicted on either of the capital murder charges, Sadler would face the death penalty.

Dunn, whose home of record is listed as Springfield, Mo., enlisted in July 2006, according to Navy Personnel Command. He was on orders to transfer from Naval Air Force Atlantic to the carrier Theodore Roosevelt at the time of his death. AIRLANT spokesman Mike Maus said the command is making plans for a memorial service to be held early next week.

Sadler is assigned to Maritime Expeditionary Security Squadron 6, according to Navy Personnel Command, but remains incarcerated in the Virginia Beach City Jail.

Snipped from:
http://www.navytimes.com/news/2011/08/navy-virginia-sailor-suicide-080411w/

I grew up with Shana in republic MO. We actually dated when we were kids. She was such a sweet girl and beautiful. I'm sick to hear about this. My heart goes out to her family and husband. She didn't deserve that and it breaks my heart that her husband took his life. I can only imagine how he felt. I hope that P.O.S gets tortured in prison every single day for the rest of his life. I know Shana is in heaven bc she earned her spot. I'll pray for u shana and your husband. I'm sure you found your way back together... R.I.P

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back