Identified! VA - Stafford Co, WhtMale 15-18, UP2229, peg-shaped lateral incisor, Sep'90 - Timothy Alan Mangum

This case had stuck in my head, so during my free time yesterday I cranked up this colored version based on the FBI clay recon.
Eye color, hair color, and clothing were pure assumptions.

Attachments

• stafford2.png
    stafford2.png
    388.8 KB · Views: 26
This case had stuck in my head, so during my free time yesterday I cranked up this colored version based on the FBI clay recon.
Eye color, hair color, and clothing were pure assumptions.
Revised the enhancement of the bust a bit. The first one felt quite cartoonish, and the colors might mislead people.

Attachments

• UP2229.png
    UP2229.png
    166 KB · Views: 30
As an amateur dentist, with help of a persons with a dental degree, the age is greater than or equal to 21.

I had mine removed at age 19. Perhaps I'm a freak of nature.

That said I’d say he’s older

IDENTIFIED! rbbm.
Stafford John Doe (1990) is Now Identified (dnasolves.com)
"In November 2021, Stafford County Detective Dave Wood and the National Center of Missing and Exploited Children teamed up with Othram to use advanced DNA testing to attempt to generate new investigative leads that might point to the man’s identity. Othram scientists used Forensic-Grade Genome Sequencing® to build a comprehensive DNA profile for the unknown man. Once built, the Othram genealogy team used the profile to perform a genealogical search and then returned investigative leads to Stafford County Sheriff's Office investigators so they could continue their work.

Othram was able to provide the names of the unknown man's possible father and brother. Detective Wood contacted family members and they were able to provide him with the name Timothy Alan Mangum. DNA samples from the father and brother were sent to the Virginia Department of Forensic Science and follow up confirmation DNA testing confirmed that the unknown man was Timothy Alan Mangum.

Othram is grateful to Justin Woo for sponsoring the costs associated with the work that Othram did to help identify Mangum.

Investigators believe that Timothy Mangum was last seen alive around 1983-1984, not much is known about the circumstances of his death. Investigators are asking anyone with information to contact Detective Wood at the Stafford County Sheriff’s Office at 540-658-4727 or email at dwood@staffordcountyva.gov.''

Remains of Virginia Teen Identified After Grim Discovery in 1990 – NBC4 Washington (nbcwashington.com)
rbbm.
''More than 30 years after a teenager’s skull was found near a road in Stafford County, Virginia, officials say the late teen has been identified through DNA analysis and genealogical research.

Human remains found in 1990 are those of Timothy Alan Mangum, the Stafford County Sheriff’s Office said Friday.

Mangum attended schools in Chesapeake and Norfolk in the early ‘80s and had not had contact with his family for several years prior to 1990, the sheriff’s office said.

Many questions are still unanswered, including why Mangum would have been in Stafford County, hours from where he had lived in the Norfolk area.

“At this time detectives believe that Timothy Mangum was last alive in 1983-1984, but not much more information is known about his disappearance or the circumstances surrounding his death,” the sheriff’s office said in a statement. ''

Rest in peace, Timothy.
2467UMVA4.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 5.36.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 5.36.47 PM.png
    408.4 KB · Views: 6
It's sad there was no photo of him released. I'm guessing the family may not have had any left.

Surely there's something, even a school photo. It'd be super sad if there wasn't though. Timothy has been stuck in my head since I heard about the news.
I wonder what happened to this poor guy, why he was so far from Chesapeake and Norfolk? Was he reported missing? Hoping his family gets answers.

It's sad there was no photo of him released. I'm guessing the family may not have had any left.
It could be a situation where the family isn't ready to release a photo. Like they are still processing finding out what happened to him.

It could be a situation where the family isn't ready to release a photo. Like they are still processing finding out what happened to him.
We only release photos or information when permitted. At this time, we were not provided with a better photo but we will of course update the story, if we are given more information.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back