VA VA - Veronica Hepworth, 20, Fairfax Co, 25 Feb 1982

Okay. I need to make some adjustments and corrections to this portion of the timeline.

5:00 AM
[According to a local resident I spoke with who drove Route 50 East to work daily, they had not seen anything by 5:00am on Feb 25, and only found out that a body had been discovered upon their return home later that day. This individual also noted that traffic would typically begin to build up between 5:15 am and 5:30 am. This is, of course, hearsay, however as there is such little media coverage, I am going to include it in my timeline. The road was very dark at this time of day, however IMO Veronica’s body was likely left in the driveway before 5:00 am. I will elaborate upon this point further in my next post.]

6:42 AM - SUNRISE

7:00 AM - Route 50 / 40049 John Mosby Hwy - 26F (NOAA)
As daylight broke, two men headed to work spotted Veronica’s partially clothed body laying just meters off the side of the road. Her body was not hidden in anyway, and instead was left in a patch of earth between the short gravel driveway of a small farm and a barbed wire fence [appears to belong to the same farm property]. This farm is also described as “an Aldie couple’s home.” (LTM 03/04/82 & 03/11/82). The owners of the property told police they had not seen or heard anything suspicious in the hours before Veronica was found (LTM 03/04/82)

Veronica was dressed only in a bra and the blue chambray shirt she was seen wearing the night before. The rest of her clothing (her underwear, blue jeans, gray sweatshirt, and shoes) were found scattered across the lawn near her body. No other personal items were found. There is a photo of the crime scene from WJLA (02/25/16), as well as in the 03/04/82 Loudoun Times Mirror article on the case, both of which I have uploaded below.

Veronica was sexually assaulted and her cause of death was found to be strangulation. LE was unable to determine at this time whether she was killed at this location or somewhere else (LTM 03/04/82 & 03/11/82)

“Based on tips and witness information, a red pickup truck, possibly a late 1960s or 1970s model, was seen near the farm where Hepworth’s body was found, authorities said.” (LCSO 02/25/16, WAPO 12/18/13)
[It is unclear what time this vehicle was spotted]

I somehow overlooked the fact that I didn't include information from an entire article that belongs here. PDF of the article will be uploaded with this post. This info actually brings more questions for me than answers.

"Loudoun County sheriff seeks person of interest in 34-year-old slaying" Washington Post, 02/26/16
  • The description of the red pick up truck was provided to LE by a UPS driver who stated that, "while he was on his way to work the morning of Feb. 25, 1982, he saw a truck around 4 or 5 a.m. in a driveway along Route 50 with its lights shining out into the roadway. The driver said he noticed a man “bent down in the truck,” according to [VSP Senior Special Agent] Chris McClure."
  • This UPS driver came forward "after the news of the homicide was reported."
  • A truck that matched the description of the one described by said UPS driver was found abandoned near the farm where Veronica was found.
  • Agent McClure stated that Veronica had sustained some blunt force trauma to her body, and that there was likely an altercation at the scene.
  • DNA found on a piece of clothing "was submitted using new testing technologies that weren’t around at the time of the case."
  • "Officials said they did “an age progression sketch of the man who they say was Hepworth’s “last-known serious boyfriend.” The man’s name was not released." [Weird choice of words here. The wording suggests LE knows his name, but according to every other source they do not. Of course this is from WAPO, not LE, however I figured I would point it out]
Thoughts/questions will be in the next post...

Attachments

• WAPO 022616 LCSO Seeks Person of Interest in 34 Year Old Slaying.pdf
    89.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Was the red truck in the woods American or Japanese?
Hello, I went back to Shaw Rd. yesterday to check for the truck. The pick-up is still in the woods, but I couldn't find anything to specify the make or model. However, after comparing photos online it seems to be American. Perhaps a Dodge D-100 Sweptline. A parking sticker on the bumper shows an expiration date of 1973, so the year is pre-1973. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Attachments

• abandoned_red_truck_off_Shaw_Road_Sterling_VA.jpg
    abandoned_red_truck_off_Shaw_Road_Sterling_VA.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 14
  • tailgate_of_the_red_truck.jpg
    tailgate_of_the_red_truck.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Back_headlight_of_red_truck_off_Shaw_road.jpg
    Back_headlight_of_red_truck_off_Shaw_road.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Driver_side_of_red_truck_Sterling_VA.jpg
    Driver_side_of_red_truck_Sterling_VA.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Dulles_Sticker_on_red_truck_1973.jpg
    Dulles_Sticker_on_red_truck_1973.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 10
Okay. I need to make some adjustments and corrections to this portion of the timeline.

I somehow overlooked the fact that I didn't include information from an entire article that belongs here. PDF of the article will be uploaded with this post. This info actually brings more questions for me than answers.

"Loudoun County sheriff seeks person of interest in 34-year-old slaying" Washington Post, 02/26/16
  • The description of the red pick up truck was provided to LE by a UPS driver who stated that, "while he was on his way to work the morning of Feb. 25, 1982, he saw a truck around 4 or 5 a.m. in a driveway along Route 50 with its lights shining out into the roadway. The driver said he noticed a man “bent down in the truck,” according to [VSP Senior Special Agent] Chris McClure."
  • This UPS driver came forward "after the news of the homicide was reported."
  • A truck that matched the description of the one described by said UPS driver was found abandoned near the farm where Veronica was found.
  • Agent McClure stated that Veronica had sustained some blunt force trauma to her body, and that there was likely an altercation at the scene.
  • DNA found on a piece of clothing "was submitted using new testing technologies that weren’t around at the time of the case."
  • "Officials said they did “an age progression sketch of the man who they say was Hepworth’s “last-known serious boyfriend.” The man’s name was not released." [Weird choice of words here. The wording suggests LE knows his name, but according to every other source they do not. Of course this is from WAPO, not LE, however I figured I would point it out]

Lots of information. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if the 2016 tests of the clothing produced anything useful to the investigation.

So. I realize I have probably spent too much time thinking through this case, so I apologize for these convoluted posts. Hopefully they’re not SO all over the place that it’s hard to follow…

Here are some of the many questions I now have:
  • When did the UPS driver come forward with this witness account?
  • What time did the UPS driver arrive to work that day?
  • Was the UPS driver the only witness that morning (other than those at the Fancy Dancer and the two men who found Veronica’s body)?
  • When and where did they find the truck? Whose truck was it?
  • What did LE do with it? Was there evidence in the truck?
  • Were they able to determine if it was the correct truck and not just similar?
  • Where is it now? – I imagine they wouldn’t keep mentioning a red pick up truck if it wasn’t important, but since they have not released any further information as far as I can tell, was this THE truck?
  • Was the UPS driver telling the truth?
  • Was there a rape kit done? They say DNA was found on a piece of clothing, but do not mention any other sources of DNA found. If there were visible signs of an altercation, as well as a beating, sexual assault, and manual strangulation, was there DNA under Veronica’s fingernails?
  • What was the outcome of the DNA testing that they were able to perform?
  • Which tests were they able to perform?
  • What time did Veronica leave the Fancy Dancer? Where was she going? How long were they stopped in the driveway?
  • Why the focus on the unnamed ex-boyfriend? Clearly there is some connection to Louisiana as Houma Today surely would not publish an article saying that this man is believed to be from Terrebonne Parish, LA. The family has stated in multiple articles that they did not know who this man was. [As stated in a previous post, Veronica lived in Lafayette, LA for a period of time. Did they meet in Louisiana, and when she returned to Virginia, did he come as well? Houma Today (2015) states that Veronica was last known to be working as a cook on a shrimp boat... her death certificate states that she worked as an officer manager at a construction company. Did this boyfriend work on the shrimp boat with her? It's such an odd detail otherwise]
  • Why was he in the area? Was he in the area?
  • How long had the man and Veronica dated?
  • He is referred to as her “last serious boyfriend” in most reports. Were they still dating at the time of her murder?

Last edited:
Continuing on:

If we are to go on the assumption that traffic started to build up around 5 am (as was told to me by someone who was a local resident in 1982), and the approximate time of death on the death certificate says 4:30 am, is it safe to assume that the UPS driver saw the truck in the farm driveway between 4:00am and 4:30am?

Maybe 4:35, 4:45am at the latest, but it doesn't seem like whoever did this stuck around to clean up at all considering there were clothes strewn about/there were clear signs of a struggle. Maybe the perp left just after he realized he had been spotted by the UPS driver.​

[I’m curious why the article refers to the UPS driver's occupation/why it’s relevant since he wasn't actually at work yet, and therefore was probably not driving a UPS truck when he drove by. Maybe just to differentiate between all the other unnamed men?]

Veronica was last seen between 1:30am - 2:00am outside of the Fancy Dancer. Estimate an hour of non-stop travel time from Alexandria to Gilbert’s Corner, expect a 2:30am – 3:00am arrival time at the earliest. If the 4:00am - 5:00am sighting by the UPS driver is accurate, there is anywhere between 1 - 2 1/2 hours of time unaccounted for.​

What route did they take? Did they stop somewhere else (convenience store, diner, etc) along the way? Where did they plan to end up after leaving the Fancy Dancer?

IMO Veronica probably left the Fancy Dancer with at least two people (likely people she was familiar with), but the other group of friends she was with that night (the ones who were celebrating the birthday) probably didn’t know the guy(s) Veronica left with, or maybe had just left earlier in the night.

Fairfax Underground is a local message board that has a couple of threads that mention this case. Linked here and here, and attached to this post.

Some notable comments, please excuse the language:

All I know is I saw Roni leaving the bar that night with a couple of guys. I'd like to know what happened to her. Who the hell knows the guy driving the red pu?”

“All my up old Arcola redneck party hogs need to start talking unless your dead!”

I hung out at the Wild West sometimes. Roni was a friend and her killer needs to be caught and fried. Roni hung out with our Redneck crew. At least one bad boy,Wolfe,is dead and gone.”

All you old Arcola redneck hogs and bad mother *advertiser censored* need to show respect and drink one for Roni Hepworth (RIP 82'). She was at the Fancy Dancer titty bar to celebrate a friend's birthday and got killed after leaving the place. Some pussy *advertiser censored* in a red pu killed her off RT 50 near Gilbert's Corner.”
Arcola, Virginia is one place that seems to come up a lot in these truly lovely comments as well as on Facebook (not posting so I don’t get in trouble). It’s about 6 miles east of the crime scene on Route 50. Allegedly Veronica was friends with people who lived out there and hung out at the bars on Route 1. It was very rural out there at the time, and even now is still far less developed than a lot of the Northern Virginia area.
Of course there’s no way to know who made the comments or if they have any validity, but Arcola does keep popping up in discussions about the Fancy Dancer, and in reference to other bars in the area.. Hillbilly Haven/Heaven was one bar in particular that attracted a very similar crowd. Before I go on another tangent.. I’ll link some relevant articles that describe the scene around Route 1 in the 60s, 70s, and 80s at the end of this post.
[IMO it seems plausible that after leaving the Fancy Dancer, Veronica and the people she left were heading to Arcola. This could be to drop someone off, or because they intended to continue the night at someone’s house out there.]
The farm driveway in Gilbert’s Corner is about 50 miles away from the Fancy Dancer in Alexandria, 20-25 miles from Veronica’s home, but only 6 miles from Arcola. If there is any truth to these comments, and Veronica did have friends she hung out with in Arcola, this connection could explain why her body was found in such an otherwise random location.​

The medical examiner estimated time of death as 4:30am. Assuming the signs of a struggle (WAPO 02/26/16) indicate that Veronica was murdered in the farm driveway [this has neither been confirmed nor denied by LE that I have been able to find], is 30 minutes a reasonable amount of time to commit a sexual assault, beating, and strangulation? That could, of course, depend on how many people participated.​

Her body was found partially clothed, with the rest of her clothing strewn about the crime scene, so is it unreasonable to assume that this was where the crime took place? Unless it possibly happened inside the vehicle?
[This comes back to my questions about the red pick up truck from my previous post. Where was it when they found it. Whose was it. What was in it. Where is it now. ETC. ETC. ETC.]

If someone was familiar with the area, and knew when commuters would start to get on the roads on the morning of Feb 26, IMO they would likely know to be long gone by 5:00am. Where did they go between 2:00am and 4:30am (approximate time of death)?​

What are your all’s thoughts? This could be completely inaccurate. I'm sure there's more that I've missed.

It could also be a very different scenario, as there were multiple instances of other young women found murdered during the same time period.

Attachments

• 1984 Map W Arcola.jpg
    1984 Map W Arcola.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 4
  • FFX Underdround - Fancy Dancer Bar.pdf
    53.9 KB · Views: 4
  • FFX Underground - Fancy Dancer Bar Loudoun.pdf
    44.8 KB · Views: 9
  • _How Hillbilly Heaven Earned a Reputation of Violence – Our Redneck Past.pdf
    112.8 KB · Views: 5
  • _Site of Hillbilly Heaven in Lorton – Our Redneck Past.pdf
    271.1 KB · Views: 4
  • AT BELVOIR GRILL, TROUBLE IS A REGULAR - The Washington Post 050492.pdf
    87.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Lost Highway – Washington City Paper.pdf
    224.3 KB · Views: 6
Hello, I went back to Shaw Rd. yesterday to check for the truck. The pick-up is still in the woods, but I couldn't find anything to specify the make or model. However, after comparing photos online it seems to be American. Perhaps a Dodge D-100 Sweptline. A parking sticker on the bumper shows an expiration date of 1973, so the year is pre-1973. Let me know if you have any other questions.
That Dulles Airport sticker has me very intrigued. I might need to see this for myself.

That Dulles Airport sticker has me very intrigued. I might need to see this for myself.
Rhibread - Very thought-provoking. Having friends in Arcola reduces the "randomness" of the disposal site. I took a look at an old 1926 map, and proximity is crystal clear. What do you think of trying to get some attention on this case for the 40th anniversary? Have you been in touch with the cold case detectives from Loudoun? Let me know your thoughts.

Rhibread - Very thought-provoking. Having friends in Arcola reduces the "randomness" of the disposal site. I took a look at an old 1926 map, and proximity is crystal clear. What do you think of trying to get some attention on this case for the 40th anniversary? Have you been in touch with the cold case detectives from Loudoun? Let me know your thoughts.
I have not been. I've considered calling, but I don't know how to make that call or what I would even say. I am fully on board with contacting them though. I went through Arcola this past week and it was CRAZY to me how there are still remnants of what the area used to look like.. the abandoned barns and all of that reminds me of how it was in the late 90s (that's the earliest I can really remember).

I had another thought while I was out there. What if they weren't even actually going ANYWHERE? What if they were just driving around drinking on back roads or something like that, and then they pulled over...

That would explain the gap in time and I don't think it's out the question at all. Driving around near home and then something (clearly) went wrong...

One other thing... if you look at the usernames of the posters on Fairfax Underground.. one says OLD 666, another is Ole 606. To me, this sounds like it could mean 'Old 606' aka Old Ox Road which is 606... and takes you right to Arcola. Not a huge thing, but just could add legitimacy to the comments...

I have not been. I've considered calling, but I don't know how to make that call or what I would even say. I am fully on board with contacting them though. I went through Arcola this past week and it was CRAZY to me how there are still remnants of what the area used to look like.. the abandoned barns and all of that reminds me of how it was in the late 90s (that's the earliest I can really remember).

I had another thought while I was out there. What if they weren't even actually going ANYWHERE? What if they were just driving around drinking on back roads or something like that, and then they pulled over...

That would explain the gap in time and I don't think it's out the question at all. Driving around near home and then something (clearly) went wrong...

Back on this thread after year, respectfully recognizing (thanks to Rhi & LL) that in a couple weeks is the 40th anniversary of Roni's fateful night.

It appears safe to assume the UPS driver saw something in that 4:30AM range.. In that 2:30-3:00AM arrival time, the speculation between 2:30AM - 4:30AM can revolve around anything in that neck of the woods.

Here is the thing about Arcola (and Aldie, South Riding, Watson, South Loudoun, etc.) That entire area around what we call Arcole is upwards of 30K acres. Along Rt. 50 would have been a handful of gas stations/convenience stores dotted along the road leading up to Gum Spring Rd. and Gilberts Corner.

Those FFX Underground posts point out that there were plenty of rowdy individuals out that way. Considering it was a cold February night, it's possible "field parties" could be ruled out.

IMO, I'm with you Rhi, I think they were going to someone's house / party considering the old homes around Gum Spring Rd. were known for their "festive" atmosphere.. or, they were just drinking and driving around which was common in many parts of LC at the time..

What if the people Roni left the Fancy Dancer with were not necessarily 'friends,' or a 'boyfriend,' but instead just knew of similar people West of Rt. 1 and made the decision to head out to see familiar faces together?

Rhi I do not think you are far off at all. And @LadyLoudoun , that red truck is something I was looking for the past two years! What is wild about Shaw Rd. is.. even though it is considered Sterling, it isn't far from Rt. 50 W! Same color and year that the police had reported. Excellent find.

I think a problem that has come up in this case is that turnover in LCSO and VSP. So many different detectives have been on/off this case over the years. Somebody local who know about the roughly 1K people living in Arcola at the time would be extremely helpful.

Also, do we know why LCSO turned the case of to the Virginia State Police in 1984? I always wondered that and never found a good answer..

Thank you for all of your hard work. I hope to find something better to post soon that can be of better help.

Bumping this for Roni. Gone - but never forgotten. Keep fighting the good fight!

Back on this thread after year, respectfully recognizing (thanks to Rhi & LL) that in a couple weeks is the 40th anniversary of Roni's fateful night.

It appears safe to assume the UPS driver saw something in that 4:30AM range.. In that 2:30-3:00AM arrival time, the speculation between 2:30AM - 4:30AM can revolve around anything in that neck of the woods.

Here is the thing about Arcola (and Aldie, South Riding, Watson, South Loudoun, etc.) That entire area around what we call Arcole is upwards of 30K acres. Along Rt. 50 would have been a handful of gas stations/convenience stores dotted along the road leading up to Gum Spring Rd. and Gilberts Corner.

Those FFX Underground posts point out that there were plenty of rowdy individuals out that way. Considering it was a cold February night, it's possible "field parties" could be ruled out.

IMO, I'm with you Rhi, I think they were going to someone's house / party considering the old homes around Gum Spring Rd. were known for their "festive" atmosphere.. or, they were just drinking and driving around which was common in many parts of LC at the time..

What if the people Roni left the Fancy Dancer with were not necessarily 'friends,' or a 'boyfriend,' but instead just knew of similar people West of Rt. 1 and made the decision to head out to see familiar faces together?

Rhi I do not think you are far off at all. And @LadyLoudoun , that red truck is something I was looking for the past two years! What is wild about Shaw Rd. is.. even though it is considered Sterling, it isn't far from Rt. 50 W! Same color and year that the police had reported. Excellent find.

I think a problem that has come up in this case is that turnover in LCSO and VSP. So many different detectives have been on/off this case over the years. Somebody local who know about the roughly 1K people living in Arcola at the time would be extremely helpful.

Also, do we know why LCSO turned the case of to the Virginia State Police in 1984? I always wondered that and never found a good answer..

Thank you for all of your hard work. I hope to find something better to post soon that can be of better help.

Bumping this for Roni. Gone - but never forgotten. Keep fighting the good fight!

Are we sure that the truck found off Shaw Rd. is the same year that the police were looking for? I saw a report saying they found a similar truck but don't know if they are the same truck.

I may have missed it but, was it ever stated where exactly Veronica lived?

Are we sure that the truck found off Shaw Rd. is the same year that the police were looking for? I saw a report saying they found a similar truck but don't know if they are the same truck.

I may have missed it but, was it ever stated where exactly Veronica lived?
We don't know that it is the same truck, but it's just kind of weird that's it's still there (or was when LadyLoudoun posted it).

From everything I could find, she lived in Fairfax off Braddock Rd. I think I marked it in one of the maps I posted. That was her mom's address at least. Couldn't find another VA address, only one in Lafayette, LA.

Just popping in to say that with all of these old cases that are finally being solved (feels like every week there is another one!), it would be lovely if Veronica's could also find a resolution soon. In the meantime while I continue to wonder and mull it all over, I just wanted to give the thread a bump.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie
Back