Vaccine case draws new attention to autism debate

I suppose for the person wanting to know one person whose child has autism and did not get vacinations would have to be John Travolta's son. His son has autism and I don't believe Scientologists believe in drs and such things as vacinations.

The son did not have his shots? First I've heard of that, but his parents more than likely did recieve theirs......

1 in 4 U.S. Toddlers Improperly Vaccinated

TUESDAY, April 29 (HealthDay News) -- New numbers show that more than a quarter of American toddlers may be under-vaccinated.
The study of children aged 19 months to 35 months found that missed doses account for about two-thirds of non-compliance to official recommendations. However, miss-timed doses are also an issue, according to a study conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and published in the June issue of theAmerican Journal of Preventive Medicine.
Immunization delays put children at risk for a variety of vaccine-preventable diseases such as measles, mumps and chicken pox. On the other hand, immunization rates in the United States are decent, experts reasoned.
"Part of it depends on how you are slicing and dicing this," said Dr. Robert Frenck, professor of pediatrics at Cincinnati Children's Hospital and a committee member of the American Academy of Pediatrics' committee on infectious diseases. "If you look at children going into kindergarten [four to six years old], our immunization rates are as high or higher than they've ever been."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/29/AR2008042900743.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article5683671.ece

THE doctor who sparked the scare over the safety of the MMR vaccine for children changed and misreported results in his research, creating the appearance of a possible link with autism, a Sunday Times investigation has found.

Confidential medical documents and interviews with witnesses have established that Andrew Wakefield manipulated patients’ data, which triggered fears that the MMR triple vaccine to protect against measles, mumps and rubella was linked to the condition.

more at link

There was once again a recent study that yet again proves that there is ZERO, NADA, ZIP, correlation between any shots and autism.

There has been so many studies that I am still surprised that some people still think that it is safer not to get shots then to get them.

Actually mumps is making a "comeback" in my City, so people are urged to get their shots if they are between a certain age.

But again, please prevent your children from diseases get them their shots.

Holy Batman Cyber Law ! you and I agreeing in a thread LOL

Seriously this is one of the hottest and biggest debates on any parenting forum.

The really sad thing is that people are like sheep. This is a fact They will follow (in the main) what everyone else is doing.

In 1998, British gastroenterologist Dr. Andrew Wakefield published a paper suggesting a possible association between childhood MMR (Mumps/Measles/Rubella) immunization, bowel disease and autism. Wakefield proposed the idea that Interaction between viruses could (1) have a negative impact on a child’s immune system; (2) lead to persistent infection in the gastrointestinal tract and (3) lead, in the long run, to possible brain damage and autism.

Wakefield’s study was published by the Lancet, one of the world’s top medical journals. Later, however, they called the study “fatally flawed.” Among the flaws: Wakefield, a gastroenterologist, was studying children who had originally presented with gastrointestinal problems -- hardly a random sample. In addition, the group studied was very small -- and no conclusive proof was offered that the measles virus found in autistic childrens’ guts was causally connected to their autism.

Wakefield was asked to leave his position in Britain, and retracted some of the study outcomes. Today, he is the head of a Texas-based research group called “Thoughtful House.” There, he and his colleagues continue their research. Meanwhile, various large-scale studies in the US and Denmark seem to refute Wakefield’s initial findings. The official perspective of the CDC is that there is no proven connection between live-virus vaccines and autism.

Snipped from http://autism.about.com/od/causesofautism/a/MMRVaccine.htm

It was conceded that Thimersol (mecury) was not a good component and the companies manufactured the vaccines without. However I believe that SOME surgeries/hospitals rather than throwing these out continued to give these.

always ask your dr whether this is the vaccine without.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/thimerosal.htm
Since 2001, with the exception of some influenza (flu) vaccines, thimerosal is not used as a preservative in routinely recommended childhood vaccines.

I honestly believe that its like Cancer, you have the gene and its triggered by something.

We are a preservative free Household

I personally believe that the food we buy off our shelves contribute far more to our childrens health or rather demise of it than Vaccines do.

The horrific stuff that is in packaged foods, the preservatives, colors, additives and genetically modified foods is doing our children far more harm than good.

People who are refusing to vaccinate their children are allowing the diseases that we once had eradicated to come back into our lives. The really sad thing is that because people have not lived through the times before vaccines were invented , and disease wiped out entire towns they have no concept of how horrific major scale disease can be.

So they think ah well I won't take the chance of my child getting autism - I'll skip the needles , he''l/she'll be safe then.....sadly this is a misnomer there are other things that can trigger all sorts of health issues with out children , but what they can guarantee is that they are adding another person into the mix to spread these deadly diseases.

My anger at this man who caused this wide spread panic is very intense.

I believe he acted irresponsibly and did not have concrete proof or any basis to make this statement about Autism and Vaccines. And sadly he had put many people in jeopardy

This is of course just my opinion

People who are refusing to vaccinate their children are allowing the diseases that we once had eradicated to come back into our lives. The really sad thing is that because people have not lived through the times before vaccines were invented , and disease wiped out entire towns they have no concept of how horrific major scale disease can be.

You put this so well, Jane! :clap: My thoughts exactly.

Great article with additional info about Wakefield's hoax, etc.: http://www.badscience.net/2008/08/the-medias-mmr-hoax/

The article also discuss how vaccine 'panics' happen every few years, noting that:
"What the diversity of these anti-vaccination panics helps to illustrate is the way in which they reflect local political and social concerns more than a genuine appraisal of the risk data, because if the vaccine for hepatitis B, or MMR, is dangerous in one country, it should be equally dangerous everywhere; and if those concerns were genuinely grounded in the evidence, especially in an age of the rapid propagation of information, you would expect the concerns to be expressed by journalists everywhere. They’re not.
"

Some additional quotes:

"The media are fingering the wrong man, and they know who should really take the blame: in MMR, journalists and editors have constructed their greatest hoax to date, and finally demonstrated that they can pose a serious risk to public health. But there are also many unexpected twists to learn from: the health journalists themselves were not at fault, the scale of the bias in the coverage was greater than anybody realised at the time, Leo Blair was a bigger player than Wakefield, and it all happened much later than you think."

From the Times (regarding Britain's immunization problems and Wakefield):

"Despite involving just a dozen children, the 1998 paper’s impact was extraordinary. After its publication, rates of inoculation fell from 92% to below 80%. Populations acquire “herd immunity” from measles when more than 95% of people have been vaccinated.

Last week official figures showed that 1,348 confirmed cases of measles in England and Wales were reported last year, compared with 56 in 1998. Two children have died of the disease."

Wakefield has blood on his hands....

from the BBC.

Young people in Devon and Cornwall have been urged to check they have been vaccinated against mumps following a 40% increase in cases over six months.

This "mirrors" what is happening in my province. People between the ages of 19 and 29 are urged to go to their GP and get a shot for Mumps.

"Court says vaccine not to blame for autism"

"In a big blow to parents who believe vaccines caused their children's autism, a special court ruled Thursday that the shots are not to blame.

The judges in the cases said the evidence was overwhelmingly contrary to the parents' claims — and backed years of science that found no risk.

"It was abundantly clear that petitioners' theories of causation were speculative and unpersuasive," the court concluded in one of a trio of cases ruled on Thursday."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29160138/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back