CANADA Vancouver, BC - BlkFem, 30-40, found floating, wearing backpack, kayak and lifejacket found nearby, Sept 2022

bombardier

Reaction score
On September 29, 2022, a tugboat crew discovered the body of a 30- to 40-year-old woman floating in the water at Spanish Banks in Vancouver, British Columbia. The woman is described as black and weighing between 174-201 pounds. She wore a backpack and had brown eyes and short black curly hair pulled back into a bun. A blue inflatable kayak and an orange life vest were discovered nearby.
Discovered on:September 29, 2022
Est. age: 30 to 40
Bio group: Black
Eye colour: Brown
Hair: Black, Curly
Weight: 79kg / 174lb to 91kg / 201lb
Build: Heavy
Complexion: Freckled
Scar: Abdomen
1668226699707.png

When asked why the discovery wasn't made public until now, Cst. Tania Vistin explains, "when officers find a body that they aren’t able to identify, several investigative avenues have to be done before publicly releasing information. One avenue is extracting DNA and sending it to the lab. These results take time to get back. In this case, investigators still were not able to get a match from the DNA sent to the lab, so we had a professional artist sketch a composite."

Last edited:
On September 29, 2022, a tugboat crew discovered the body of a 30- to 40-year-old woman floating in the water at Spanish Banks in Vancouver, British Columbia. The woman is described as black and weighing between 174-201 pounds. She wore a backpack and had brown eyes and short black curly hair pulled back into a bun. A blue inflatable kayak and an orange life vest were discovered nearby.
View attachment 379261

When asked why the discovery wasn't made public until now, Cst. Tania Vistin explains, "when officers find a body that they aren’t able to identify, several investigative avenues have to be done before publicly releasing information. One avenue is extracting DNA and sending it to the lab. These results take time to get back. In this case, investigators still were not able to get a match from the DNA sent to the lab, so we had a professional artist sketch a composite."

it's not really important but I don't understand what they've listed as her weight???

it's not really important but I don't understand what they've listed as her weight???

Just looks like a range, to me, like they're not certain what she would have weighed in life. They've given a window of 12kg. I'm guessing she wasn't found for a while. Decomposition sometimes means they can't be sure. They may be estimating more based on her clothing sizes, for example, rather than her remains.

View attachment 379261

I wonder if they could connect the kayak and the life vest to her. What could have happened if it was hers? Was she getting ready to go boating, ready to put the life vest on and had an accident or did she had a heart attack f.i.? What was the condition of the kayak. Was it leaking? If she was planning to take her own life why take a life vest with you in the first place? Did she have other injuries that pointed to foul play?

It would be interesting to know what kind of abdomen scar she had or something about her teeth. Did she gave birth? Clothes? Was she dressed for the outdoors, water activities, other?

Also, looking at the recon, it looks like she (has) had a broken nose.

It’s written oddly. 79 to 92 kg. And 174 to 201 lbs. They can’t be more precise because she was found in water and due to postmortem changes.

Vancouver police trying to identify woman found dead near Spanish Banks

<Snipped because of repetitive info>

"Paramedics and Vancouver Fire and Rescue Service attempted to revive the woman, but were unsuccessful," according to a media release sent Wednesday.

A composite sketch has been released "showing what she looked like at the time of death," the Vancouver Police Department's statement says.

This sounds like she wasn't in the water a very long time when they found her. You are not going to try to revive a deceased person that is starting to decompose?? Why a weight range and no height?

Vancouver police trying to identify woman found dead near Spanish Banks

<Snipped because of repetitive info>

"Paramedics and Vancouver Fire and Rescue Service attempted to revive the woman, but were unsuccessful," according to a media release sent Wednesday.

A composite sketch has been released "showing what she looked like at the time of death," the Vancouver Police Department's statement says.

This sounds like she wasn't in the water a very long time when they found her. Why a weight range and no height?
No idea, then. Strange.

Where she was found:
Spanish Banks Beach seems like a pretty popular local hangout, and the weather in BC this september was unseasonably warm (Sept 29 had a high of 21C). The photo that's seen on the thumbnail here was actually taken Sept 2022 so you can see what people were wearing and that people were still swimming/doing water sports.

I'm wondering if the inflatable kayak is a red herring and it was lost by another beach patron. Could she have entered the water elsewhere and floated to that area? Stanley Park (good number of homeless live there) and the Lions Gate Bridge are both relatively close.

I wonder if the kayak might be from one of those rent-a-kayak places I see on beaches here all the time. Never rented one from there so I'm not sure how many identifying tags (if any) there are on the actual kayak, but perhaps it would be worth a shot if LE asked some of those places.

I wonder if the kayak might be from one of those rent-a-kayak places I see on beaches here all the time. Never rented one from there so I'm not sure how many identifying tags (if any) there are on the actual kayak, but perhaps it would be worth a shot if LE asked some of those places.
It if was a rented kayak the name of the rental agency would be marked on it somewhere and that would have been one of the first investigative avenues that LE would have pursued. JMO.

I am also under the impression that the rental places tended to rent durable, hard-shelled kayaks. (I could be mistaken though. I am no expert in the matter.) Inflatables are popular with people who want to be able to fit a kayak in their car and want small storage requirements.

If she was found with/near the kayak it seems that the mishap couldn't have happened too, too far away. I wonder how far apart she was from the kayak when found.

This woman would have still needed a way to get her inflatable to the shore for launching so presumably there is an abandoned vehicle somewhere in the region?

The lack of info is frustrating but not out of the norm for UIDs out of Canada :rolleyes: I'd love to know height, measured weight, any clothing (I'm not believing she was naked except for a backpack!), and more about this inflatable kayak.
Yes, exactly and also possible content of the backpack.

Maybe Robyn Austin (32)? She went missing from the San Diego, CA area back in Aug'22. She was homeless at the time and suffering from mental illness. Her twin sister explains more regarding Robyn's mental breakdown which she says was caused by hazing and harassment during her time serving as a U.S. Marine. I screenshotted a couple of photos from the video at the link below. One of the pics shows Robyn wearing an orange life jacket. Her NamUs profile lists her height as 5' 6" and weight as 140 lbs. Her Black & Missing profile shows she weighed 135lbs and lists a few tattoos that weren't mentioned for Jane Doe. Robyn was given money by a member of a church where she was last seen. I suppose it's possible she used the money to travel north toward Canada and to buy an inflatable kayak. It would be interesting to find out whether Robyn had the orange life vest in her possession when she was last seen. MOO

*Video at link*

*Note: The profile shows her age as 31. Her age is listed as 32 on both the cbs8 article and Black & Missing's profile.

SBM
Identifying Marks or Characteristics: Tiger tattoo across her entire collarbone. Venom tattoo on her right shoulder facing out. Tattoo of the words, "Jimmy," tattooed on the top of her left shoulder. Front 3 teeth have a jagged line where the bottom half were knocked out. Walks with a slight limp. Walks with one hand pulled in and bent close to her side, this varies depending on the day.

Robyn Austin.jpgRobyn Austin2.jpgRobyn w orange life vest.jpg
Original
632a58b3b9735_blob-preview.jpg

I think she's good facially but the lack of tattoos is usually a deal breaker for me. Canada's Missing is always sparse on details but in my experience if they've indicated a scar, they would also list any visible tattoos, and I believe this UID was not decomposed when found.

I think she's good facially but the lack of tattoos is usually a deal breaker for me. Canada's Missing is always sparse on details but in my experience if they've indicated a scar, they would also list any visible tattoos, and I believe this UID was not decomposed when found.
Sorry @YaYa_521 I feel the same about the tattoos.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abcdowpp1
Back