Verdict: GUILTY for both Millard and Smich of 1st degree murder #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, andreww. There was an initial feeling of satisfaction for me which faded away to uncover a deep emptiness and sadness. Now that the trial is over and justice has been served, we're left to face all the holes that were created -- not just for the Bosmas but for the family and friends of the convicted and the entire community that was shaken by these tragic events. Those "crooked trees", rather than being straightened, essentially had to be uprooted. It is incredibly sad in so many ways, and while difficult, I think it is important to recognize and embrace these feelings in order to move on and regrow.

ETA: Allowing anger, fear, and hatred to consume us is a great way to ensure that more saplings in our community grow up to be crooked and stunted. That's not the way to move forward, IMO.

While I see your points and feeling, I am still very satisfidied knowing other innocent lives are spared by their long term incarceration, and that many of the minions are attempting a go at a normal life. May not be normal within their families, but normal toward folks that didn't ask to be touched by this gang.

I feel the same towards the peripheral folks as I do for the families of terrorists. Of course the Bosma family have touched us all, and they will always be both victims and heroes IMO.

MOO

It would not surprise me at all to learn that prosecutors were playing Halo when the game was first released. Playing killing video games is not an indication of deviant behaviour. Neither is dropping out of school in Grade 10. If Mark Smich dropped out of school in Grade 10 and wanted to move to Calgary, perhaps he (and so many others like him) wanted to get into the well paying construction trade - which required no education during the construction boom (that recently ended with drop in the price of oil).

He never held a real job, and he only lasted half a day with JV. IMO, he had no intention of starting over. Alberta did have an influx of drug dealers because the money was there. Not so much at the moment.

MOO

Gun trafficking to the murderer(s)?
Think it's the first time it's happened? Or first time he was caught? I wonder how one gains experience in making a "dirty girl clean again"?

I wouldn't trust Isho to clean his room, wash a dish, let alone clean a gun. Maybe his stint in the big house will provide some rehabilitation and he can mend his ways. Keep his cell clean, obey the rules, and respect. His new friends might be able to help him with this. They can be his mentors. It is likely he has not had a lot of opportunities until now.

IMO, there wasn't a corner of Ontario where you could hide from this story.

It sure seems like that. But I've met people from all over Ontario that really don't know much of anything about the case. Which might be a really good argument for the change of venue being approved.

I think the problem some sluethers having with MS, is because he was cleaning up his act, he was getting an education. We wanted to believe there could only be one DM out there. We developed a bit of pity, for a young guy who got caught up in DM s world. We want to believe there is good in him. But that was not who he was three years ago. Evidence shows that. He might have been well instructed by his lawyer what he needed to do to present a more innocent persona in court. Clearly it worked on a few. My mind changed on him, when he was on the stand, and his quick retorts to DMs lawyer disrespectful,mouthy at times. Showed his true colours. He was just a lot street smarter, to cover his tracks, lose the SIM cards. No fingerprints. Burn any evidence. Remember for his testimony to be true. Seven witnesses would have had to lie. And the phone pings had to be wrong. There is just too much evidence of his fore knowledge not to be 1st degree. The sad part is that he seemed clever, he could have made something of his life. He had a supportive family. Bad company, bad choices, and alcohol and drugs turned him into a criminal, and a convicted murderer. Waste of life. We all know he is up for charges in LB s murder. Wrong place wrong time again? Sad.

Absolutely Dutchman. I'm am in total agreement with your comment. These two are nothing but scum and all the evidence proves that and they both got exactly what they deserved. MS and his lawyer made sure his testimony fit with the evidence and vise versa for DM. I highly doubt we will ever get the truth and I believe the Crown's theory is as close to what happened that night. They planned and acted together and regardless of who the shooter/murderer was, IMO they both were aware one of them was packing a gun, there was a great possibly Tim was going to end up being murdered and incinerated. TL pointed out, how was MS able to identify it was a gun DM was putting into his murse as he exited TB's truck...or at least MS "thought"? It was dark, the gun was dark coloured. As stated over and over, there was no need to take a loaded gun on a "scoping mission" OR a test drive. According to our Canadian law, whether one knew and the other didn't that there was a gun, they are both guilty. The fact they worked together destroying and disposing evidence shows one is just as corrupt and disturbed as the other. As TL said, "You don't follow a lunatic to an isolated location where he can shoot you too." Come on, we've all seen through MS's testimony he's no dummy...and his lawyer is brilliant. They made his story fit in his favour but the jurors were no dummies and saw right through it. Once DM was arrested, MS had the opportunity to go to LE to clear himself and he didn't...if he was such a terrified, innocent dupe. Nor did he speak with LE over the three years while awaiting trial. His and TD's rationale: "Let's see what the evidence shows and weave a story from it in your favour." They both got exactly what they deserve...first degree murder. Wait until we get the evidence on LB's case and hear evidence during CN's trial. I'm sure we will get a much clearer picture of how evil these two psychos really are. Much relieved justice was served for Tim and may the guilty RIH. ALL MOO.

Turning then to Smich, Leitch told jurors to pay attention to the conditional language he used in many of his answers on the stand – saying that he “would have” done things, rather than saying what he did outright – as evidence that he was attempting to evade the law.
“He was vague and weaving things because he didn’t want to get pinned down,” Leitch said.

As for Smich’s telling of the night of May 6, 2013, Leitch said there was “not one shred of evidence” to support his claim that he was in a separate vehicle and considered Millard a “lunatic”, but felt the safest course of action was to follow him around Waterloo Region.
“You don’t follow a lunatic to an isolated location where you can shoot you, too,” Leitch said.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/no-evid...d-and-smich-s-theories-crown-argues-1.2928058

Mr. Smich also said he thought he saw Mr. Millard put a gun into a satchel he had draped over his shoulder as he got out of Mr. Bosma’s truck.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...tim-bosma-testifies-at-trial/article29974335/

When Millard stepped out of Bosma’s truck, Smich said he saw him place a gun in a satchel. Smich said he was unaware that Millard was packing a firearm that night.

He never held a real job, and he only lasted half a day with JV. IMO, he had no intention of starting over. Alberta did have an influx of drug dealers because the money was there. Not so much at the moment.

MOO

Thank you! Now I get it. He wanted to move to Calgary to become a drug dealer to clients with a lot of disposable income.

You must be joking. How many murders got committed from the guns he was pedaling? But you are correct...he isn't big and he isn't scary.....but he is a criminal.....and he did the crime and he gonna do the time. End of story for me. One less wannabee rappa off the street

Totally agree. I hope he gets the maximum sentence (10 years?) if found guilty. I'd prefer if he were able to receive a life sentence to match DM and MS in that case.

Thank you! Now I get it. He wanted to move to Calgary to become a drug dealer to clients with a lot of disposable income.

Actually, I believe it was a real job that his sister had set up for him

Actually, I believe it was a real job that his sister had set up for him

I can imagine Smich a few years ago with a fork in his road. On the right, he moves to Calgary and takes a $40-60/hour job working construction, and, on the left, he and Millard visit their darkest secrets together. Perhaps, regardless of the choices they made at the time, they may have both independently become so fascinated with killing that their path was destiny. Either way, I'm sure they will live life with nothing but regrets - not for their victims, but for the lives they lost.

Post 510 regarding response to my comment on whether interrogation videos will be released of MS, DM.
Or at least the bit played in court when MS under cross from Sachat.
-- I sent a email to Adam Carter. It bounced back. He is away until July 4.
So I have sent it to Susan Clairmont and will post any answer.
I also asked about witness statements. Most unlikely due to privacy issues.
I will post any response I receive.

Totally agree. I hope he gets the maximum sentence (10 years?) if found guilty. I'd prefer if he were able to receive a life sentence to match DM and MS in that case.

I posted earlier that I thought the gun evidence text messages between MWJ & Millard which were not shown to the jury showed Aiding & Abetting. He acknowledges selling the gun to DM who in turn showing intent and premeditation replies that the gun will be returned dirty. MWJ says no problem I'll change the print. I believe Aiding & Abetting carries a much longer sentence. MOO

Well at least we know what the Padawan braid was all about now. It was a signal to Obiwan Rubikinks.

You know, the texts from DM to MS about being on a mission in woodbridge one night are concerning in retrospect. He says he's trying to find out what the guy drives. So he's just following some guy around, not even knowing what he's going to steal.

Mmmm, not sure, however I know his intent to move to Calgary to pursue a career selling drugs to clients with a lot of disposable income definitely wasn't.
Highly doubt he wanted to go to Calgary to begin with but if he did I doubt it was to sell drugs. You need a source to get drugs so unless DM or MWJ were going to risk shipping stuff to him, I don't he had a source in Calgary. And you also need to know people to sell them drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Findhim