Verdict in NYC Sean Bell Shooting by NYPD

Cyber... As usual, your posts are super and right on target! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Where did I ever say it was justification for the officers shooting at him? :confused:

I didn't mean to imply that you said it was a justification. This discussion all stems from your comment that Sean Bell was no choirboy. I think that his strip club attendance and drinking/drug use should have no bearing on the trial. I certainly think that his threats of having a gun should.

Cyber, I was only speaking of the hypothetical character of a hypothetical victim. For instance, I believe that a the murderer of a drug-addicted prostitute should receive the same sentence as the murderer of a church-attending virgin animal shelter volunteer.

I heard on TruTv today from someone attending the trial, that there were witnesses that testified that Sean Bell did in fact say "Yo, get my gun". That, along with the fact of ramming the LE with a vehicle justifies the officers actions.

My son is in LE. He said you only use your weapon for "deadly force"...not to slow someone down. You must feel your life is in danger. When you use your weapon for "deadly force", you are instructed to shoot to kill...otherwise, you better not be using your weapon at all.

It is a sad case though.

I didn't mean to imply that you said it was a justification. This discussion all stems from your comment that Sean Bell was no choirboy. I think that his strip club attendance and drinking/drug use should have no bearing on the trial. I certainly think that his threats of having a gun should.

My original choirboy statement had to do with how his family and friends have portrayed him in the media. How can you not discuss his attendance at the strip club that night? The street in front of the club was the scene of the shooting. :confused: Additionally, whether or not he was impaired is also relevant. He had been drinking extremely strong drinks in addition to smoking pot, and then had a confrontation with another patron IMMEDIATELY prior to the shooting. I really don't understand why you can't see the relevance. The police believed they had a drunk and angry man going to his car to retrieve his gun.

Cyber, I was only speaking of the hypothetical character of a hypothetical victim. For instance, I believe that a the murderer of a drug-addicted prostitute should receive the same sentence as the murderer of a church-attending virgin animal shelter volunteer.

I think most of us here also believe that.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid
Back