Verdict is in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if anyone besides me thinks the stand your ground law should be changed? I think it needs to be amended and changed so the everyday lay person can understand it.

Earlier I mentioned that shooting someone in the arm or leg would be against the law because that would mean that you do not feel in imminent danger.

When in imminent danger you may only shoot to end the threat.

We cannot tolerate this idea of warning shots as that means rounds are being shot in the air and can hit a totally innocent person.

You ONLY shoot in total control at the target you intend to hit and subdue..

BBM-Can't you claim you are a lousy shot and were aming for the chest? I mean that right there is a problem with the law. If you try for non-lethal option you open yourself up to a lengthy sentence.

There is no guarantee that if you shoot someone in the chest or head it will not hit an innocent person. So your last point is not valid.

IMO

But if he never got out of his car there would be nothing .

I've never understood, did TM have no right to stand his ground? I mean he was a teenager, who was being stalked by an unknown individual in an unknown car in the middle of the night.

I don't believe his head was beaten on the concrete. It is possible that his head hit the pavement during a scuffle. Even then, I never thought his head looked like it had been bashed on the pavement.

"Bashed" to me doesn't describe his injuries. He certainly looked like he'd scrapped with someone but frankly my son looked 10x's worse when he fell off his bike but kept riding.

Do you believe O.J Simpson is innocent of the crimes he was accused of and tried for?

No I don't. But that is my personal opinion.. Not what was legal decided when he left that court room.

I am not at all upset that he is serving time though..

We don't give a jury an option to find someone innocent. Only guilty or not guilty. So what Geraldo said doesn't amount to a bag of beans.

I don't disagree with you. I only disagree with whomever asserts there was a finding of innocence. That post was directed to those individuals. You, apparently, aren't one of them.

Will agree, nothing Geraldo says amounts to a bag of beans though.

Are you describing Mark OM? I was a bit worried that he wasn't passionate and boisterous enough, but his calm demeanor in presenting the facts spoke volumes. IMO

Yes I was - sorry for not putting his name in there. I agree that there were times I wished he was a little more passionate, especially during his closing argument. But, thats when I came to the realization that his strength lies in presenting the facts and then letting people make their own decisions. He didn't need to shout the truth, the truth spoke for itself. Sometimes lawyers shout and bring out the dramatics and win cases, some are quieter and they lose cases. I think you can be passionate without screaming the house down ;)

I just gained a lot of respect for him as the trial went on. He managed to keep the peace as much as possible from every angle, including working with Mr. West who was bent on being dramatic. I saw an interview with M'OM on CNN and it gave me great insight to his character. And, his last statement to the press tonight should be plastered everywhere! He spoke with conviction and was able to put into words how a lot of people feel about the media. IMO

The jurors got to see all of the evidence. Including the pics of TM on his cell phone. The jurors followed the Law. I am proud. We all should be. JMO

I don't agree with the verdict. But I am proud of the way the system works and I am proud at the way in which the jury seems to have taken their responsibilities seriously. Just a situation where reasonable minds can disagree.

Goodnight all. Rarely get to post anymore. Bedtime. Thank you all for level heads, not being all the same, bringing your experiences, compassion and reason and opinions, FOR HAVING AN OPINION - at least ur using the noggin right? And thank you to the mods for a great job.

So, IMO, it seems Ms. Corey- the Florida State Attorney- is refusing to respect the verdict?
Continuing to argue specifics...

Which is not only an insult to the jurors, and the court, but also an insult to the prosecutors who worked so hard on this case. She is only undermining and demeaning them with her stupid, narcissistic attitude, imo.

George is absolved, but he is not at peace. Believe me. He killed someone, and he knows it. He is NOT OK...he won't BE ok. He will NEVER be ok. He will appear on talk shows, and he will talk to universities, but he will NEVER be Ok with any of this. Ever. He can't...and the only people that will ever really profit from this will be
his children, and TM's kids, because only THEY will 'hear' what happened that night...and if we don't believe the jury, we have to believe the children...right?
God help us all....and may God heal us.
Deb

I don't think Rick Scott had any choice in this. I think pressure was put on him and he to move forward by bringing in Angela Corey. MOO

Trust me, Reality Orlando, it takes two to tango. Governor Rick Scott knew every dance step choreographed by special prosecutor Angela Corey, in the George Zimmerman persecution, imo...

I don't agree with the verdict. But I am proud of the way the system works and I am proud at the way in which the jury seems to have taken their responsibilities seriously. Just a situation where reasonable minds can disagree.

I agree. I may disagree with the verdict but I understand why it was made and I support it. The jury did their job and well and and they worked very hard. They did good.

There is a robber in NC using SYG since he shot the guy he was robbing. Hey- it's the letter of the law- so GZ fans will be rallying around him next, right?

I find this kind of insulting.

I am not a GZ supporter. I am supporter of the law for all people. A fair trial and constitutional rights for anyone charged with a crime.

I don't disagree with you. I only disagree with whomever asserts there was a finding of innocence. That post was directed to those individuals. You, apparently, aren't one of them.

Will agree, nothing Geraldo says amounts to a bag of beans though.

Al Capone's vault notwithstanding...

I've never understood, did TM have no right to stand his ground? I mean he was a teenager, who was being stalked by an unknown individual in an unknown car in the middle of the night.

No. If he initiated a punch in GZ's face the answer is no. Both had a legal right to be there. A reasonable person might be afraid, but not afraid of imminent death or serious bodily injury. The language IMMINENT means just that. The fear of someone following you or even provoking you with words is not justification for use of physical force. Your kids need to know this!

It is not OK to punch someone and then continue to do physical battle. You could lose your life and under many self-defense laws in this country, the other guy walks.

http://ccwvslaw.org/item/848

I think it will be an embarrassment to everybody in Sanford if the Martin's sue GZ in civil court and they can't even win that. There was zero evidence in this trial, and there will be zero evidence in the civil trial. This was a case of self defense. I am truly sorry for the Martins, but I think even they now know their son was part of the reason he's no longer here. Getting out of your car is not a crime, and walking around in the rain is not a crime. If GZ had any intention of confronting TM he would have never called NE 911. He would have just done it. And if TM felt threatened by that "creepy A$$ cracker" he would have called 911. Sorry, but that's the facts.

BBM. Sorry, but that's your opinion. IMO.

MSNBC briefly mentioned that there is a peaceful march going on right now in San Francisco. I found a local news link from SF about it. There are/were about 200 people when the local news helicopter flew over: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...ize-Post-Zimmerman-Rally-in-SF-215405071.html

Their are peaceful marches all over the country right now- and the media will basically all ignore it. They are sending our youth the wrong message.
Pollitan is hoping to find someone jostle someone else in the crown. Sad attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500