Very Strange Story/Note from 1985 Found in Butt of Gun

One observation I made from one of the newspaper articles was that his wife called the police department to ask them to check the Shamrock station where he worked because he hadn't made it home yet. That seems odd to me but maybe she lived far away or didn't have a vehicle. Why would she think he would still be at the station because it would seem more likely he had an accident on the way home.

I'm sure it means nothing, it's just something that struck me as odd. IMO

One observation I made from one of the newspaper articles was that his wife called the police department to ask them to check the Shamrock station where he worked because he hadn't made it home yet. That seems odd to me but maybe she lived far away or didn't have a vehicle. Why would she think he would still be at the station because it would seem more likely he had an accident on the way home.

I'm sure it means nothing, it's just something that struck me as odd. IMO

I do not trust his 2nd wife, but what was passed down to me on the night he was murdered was that he was in the house. When he heard stuff going on outside, he told his wife to turn off all the lights, and to wait inside. He grabbed the pistol and went outside to investigate. When she heard a shot, she turned on the lights, opened the front door and ran out to see someone (presumably the murderer) run away, get into a car and drive off.

For her to call the police and have the Shamrock station checked, is either a mixup in story, a lapse in memory, or an outright lie to buy time? I don't know.

Good catch though. You saw this in an article that this is what she did did the night he was murdered?

acs

I do not trust his 2nd wife, but what was passed down to me on the night he was murdered was that he was in the house. When he heard stuff going on outside, he told his wife to turn off all the lights, and to wait inside. He grabbed the pistol and went outside to investigate. When she heard a shot, she turned on the lights, opened the front door and ran out to see someone (presumably the murderer) run away, get into a car and drive off.

For her to call the police and have the Shamrock station checked, is either a mixup in story, a lapse in memory, or an outright lie to buy time? I don't know.

Good catch though. You saw this in an article that this is what she did did the night he was murdered?

acs

Oh no, I'm sorry for the confusion, my post wasn't very clear. I was referring to the night of the stabbing at the Shamrock station. For some reason I keep thinking the two incidents are related some how or just a big coincidence.

Another thing I found strange about the Shamrock robbery was that the "robbers" didn't take the money in the cash register. According to the article.

Another thing I found strange about the Shamrock robbery was that the "robbers" didn't take the money in the cash register. According to the article.

They took a 20 out of his hands... so again.. one of two things:

1. they were there to just scare/hurt/kill him.
2. He was deranged enough to stab himself???

I've been up ... it I about 4AM here in Seattle. I'm going through all of Farmington times papers online. My eyes are so tired!

Something is missing. Like I said, I went with Occam's razor.. "suicide" but I'm not SURE!

acs

Thanks for all your posts, sorry about your dad. Indeed a very strange story... what I find weird is that your dad lived in a very quiet place, doing his thing so to say, and suddenly there is a lot of going on, a robbery, an accident, threatening phone calls and finally a murder by an unknown persons according to the second wife...why would she say that, being a witness, hearing a shot outside. What made that LE ruled murder out and saying it was a suicide....(had to laugh about your dukes of hazard thing on Reddit) how can the gun not be near his body after he killed himself. And if he was murdered by someone from the "outside" what could be the motive/a motive? Who gained by his dead? Do you have thoughts about that? Not to mention the strange note in a gun which was not used at the scene....hmmm :thinking: I have to read everything again....

Try living with it - trust me - it is real. I've ½ written two books from different points of view. I have a steel trap memory that nobody else in the family seems to have - no the other "family" with whom my father lost his life for some reason.

acs
I'm sorry if I seemed flippant or disbelieving. The bad behavior of uncaring humans seems to constantly find new lows and it still has the power to shock me. It must be hell to live with something like that. I'm sorry you lost your father and I'm sorry you had to spend so much of your life dealing with this.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your posts, sorry about your dad. Indeed a very strange story... what I find weird is that your dad lived in a very quiet place, doing his thing so to say, and suddenly there is a lot of going on, a robbery, an accident, threatening phone calls and finally a murder by an unknown persons according to the second wife...why would she say that, being a witness, hearing a shot outside. What made that LE ruled murder out and saying it was a suicide....(had to laugh about your dukes of hazard thing on Reddit) how can the gun not be near his body after he killed himself. And if he was murdered by someone from the "outside" what could be the motive/a motive? Who gained by his dead? Do you have thoughts about that? Not to mention the strange note in a gun which was not used at the scene....hmmm :thinking: I have to read everything again....

Okay, the following stuff that I'm going to throw out here is all hearsay. Meaning they are things I've heard from people that lived down there who were part of the family. I'm not sure if they cling to this because it could've been profitable had it been true or if it is true. But here goes:

As for the gun not being near his body after he killed himself, this is one of those things the the family believes proves he couldn't couldn't have shot himself and then flung the pistol 30 to 40 feet away from his body. Granted, that does sound unlikely no matter how well you planned it. It does sound more like the first person to the body may have kicked it that far OR the would be murderer after pulling the trigger for the kill shot, put the deceased Harley's finger in the gun, shot another bullet off, reloaded an extra back into the chamber of the revolver. This will explain the powder burns and use a revolver. Easier to police the brass.. But if one were trying to make it look like a suicide, why fling the gun 30 to 40 feet away?

There's another bit of information/hearsay that I've heard was that State, that county, that city city had a strong drug running system coming up from Mexico into the states. Ostensibly, I could understand if my father was trying to help the disabled veterans get over the war, and if they were addicted to drugs and they were easy to come by, going to the authorities to try to get some kind of task force or extra work going on that. If he asked for help from the wrong bad Apple police officer, perhaps they'd think,"well, here's a guy we don't need around."

On the flipside(even though I know he did not drink or do drugs) perhaps he was part of the would be drug running operation. If This is the case, maybe a partner profits with him, and again, POOF!

Again, knowing in researching his past with this whole Vietnam experience as well is a childhood witnessing some nasty things, occam's razor tends to lean towards a suicide. There's just enough of the shadow of doubt for this to still driven me nuts. You mean out of been a good man, he may have been arrogant and a liar… but from the people that knew him firsthand they all said he was determined. Not that type to take one's own life. He was told he would not walk again after his spinal injuries in Vietnam. Yet he told all the doctors he would and by God, he did.

I didn't know him, but it just seems like a lot of work in a lot of pain to get back walking from something like that only the off one's self 15 years later. That note was written by a traumatized kid. I know most people, and when I was 19 I didn't consider myself a kid. But now, at age 44, I consider a 20 year old a kid. :

Also, the note itself is hearsay. It is clearly information written down from what his mother told him. That note being found 32 years later is amazing, it's quite astounding, and for someone like me who appreciates synchronicity it's a little romantic in a way. But it doesn't change the fact that he's just quoting his moms telling of the story. The only thing new is the allegations that the police/sheriffs department had something to do with it. And if that's the case, down there in Hazard County, it seems as though that is something they could do pretty easily. I think when I manage to get someone to request the police records for me (so that my name Smith isn't on it) and they turn out "lost" or destroyed… that will really raise both my eyebrows.

End of "Thoughts"…:) you can see why this keeps me up at night when it gets back into my brain. Just enough stuff to want to track it all down but quite a bit of work for one guy who's not a investigator!

acs

No worries at all. I didn't think you were being flippant, I've often thought, because I'm a good writer and pretty creative, that it would make an interesting screenplay or a book. But from whose point of view? Mine? The second wife? His point of view? The police Point of view?

As for spending 32 years of my life trying to find breadcrumbs, one of the only things he left me was a nice late 1960s Samsonite briefcase. When you open it up you can smell the old paperwork. It's kind of funny, but that is now burned into my mind how much effort and thought I put into it. That briefcase full of documents, Notes, letters.

Welcome to WebSleuths, allfalldown. Sorry about your dad. I think you'll find this forum to be a good place to discuss this tragedy. We're a victim-friendly forum, with great moderators to keep us on track if we forget the rules.

I agree with Bit of Hope in that it seems strange that Sam should suddenly have all these problems such as a robbery, an accident, etc. before his death, but can also see where you might lean toward suicide, since it would be the simplest answer. It does bother me that his own wife said she believes murder. (Can someone please post a mainstream source for that? -- I can't see the articles.)

I agree with allfalldown that the letter seems to have been written by a kid who believed what his mother believed (and there's nothing wrong with that). However, I am looking forward to seeing the police reports because there are too many reasons why Sam's death looks suspicious.

I can see why this has been driving you crazy all these years. Don't worry, the universe found this note and put it out there for a reason. I have no doubt you'll get your answers in time.

Welcome to WebSleuths, allfalldown. Sorry about your dad. I think you'll find this forum to be a good place to discuss this tragedy. We're a victim-friendly forum, with great moderators to keep us on track if we forget the rules.

I agree with Bit of Hope in that it seems strange that Sam should suddenly have all these problems such as a robbery, an accident, etc. before his death, but can also see where you might lean toward suicide, since it would be the simplest answer. It does bother me that his own wife said she believes murder. (Can someone please post a mainstream source for that? -- I can't see the articles.)

I agree with allfalldown that the letter seems to have been written by a kid who believed what his mother believed (and there's nothing wrong with that). However, I am looking forward to seeing the police reports because there are too many reasons why Sam's death looks suspicious.

I can see why this has been driving you crazy all these years. Don't worry, the universe found this note and put it out there for a reason. I have no doubt you'll get your answers in time.

Hello! I'm Adam Smith (allfalldown). Thank you for your kind words and thoughtfulness. I will dig through my newspaper articles for the ones where she is quoted as stating being a witness to the murder.

I hadn't talked to her all my life and was hoping I would never have to, but I did write a nice short hand written note last week and mailed it to her. She replied with a very long-winded email stating the same thing. That the police did not do their due diligence in investigating, and that she witnessed someone shoot him, run off and drive away.

Now, I don't know what she would have had to gain from lying about it. Perhaps there was life insurance. But I don't know. After he died she did not mention to anyone down there that he had two sons. To first born son, not stepsons. In most states firstborn son's, even when divorced get part of their dad's inheritance (usually 50% from what I read.. the 2nd wife gets the other 2nd ½). This makes me think that she was moneygrubbing and selfish. Not because of the money. I knew about some family heirlooms I was to inherit, they probably weren't worth very much monetarily but would've been nice to have.

If anything, I suppose if I don't find out exactly what happened, I would at least like to let her know that I am not a child anymore. She knew me when I was six. But now, in my mid 40s, I would find great satisfaction in just letting her know that I know that her poor ethics in not allowing his first born sons to receive their rightful familial items was spiteful, hurtful & the wrong thing to do.

But before that letter is written, I would much rather have the truth. If I could have the truth I would sleep better. And somehow, if the truth were that he were murdered, I'd be more at peace and somehow find a ray of light through the darkness rather than this man who struggled through his life reaching the point where he just could not take it anymore and his only way out was to cease to exist.

Sorry if I rambled on past let you wanted to know! :)

acs

Puzzled again...there was another gun (or guns), at least the one with the note in it, in the house and they where stolen a few days after Smith died. Why borrow a revolver from your mother-in-law to shoot yourself with?

The bullet went according to the Sheriff in on the right site of the head, the gun was placed directly to the head.... the bullet was not found...then there would be an entrance and exit wound other wise the bullet was still in the head. But he was still alive for at least 15 minutes (the moment deputies arrived)....I'm not an expert, but that seems almost impossible.....how convenient that the bullet was not found...nothing to compare with...

The gun was not near the body....could be moved by persons who assist him according to the sheriff...at what time where they called in.. when did they arrive at the scene? You would think before the police came, otherwise they would have secured the place and possible evidence....

Regular patrol was in the neighborhood 5 minutes before the incident and didn't see a vehicle in the area...Deputies came after 15 minutes at the scene/responded after 15 minutes. They were called in by the mother-in-law. Where was the patrol car?

Beside the second wife, other people spotted a vehicle (witnesses are famous for not recalling the facts right) but nobody could give a good prescription...but I think at least there was a vehicle, why making that up? The patrol didn't see a vehicle but was in the area 5 minutes before the incident.

The shooting took place outside the property fence....Smith fell down in the street and was found on the Ruin Road. Also wondering...would you go out in the street to shoot yourself?

The Sheriff mentioned something about a motive for suicide...'he was going through psychological changes' How could they know that? According to LE there were several motives for suicide, but they didn't want to discuss that. But no indications for marital problems, about financial problems they didn't know at that moment (but why make plans to build a mall, if you have serious financial problems) and also LE said they were not sure if somebody could collect insurance money if it was a suicide. Why stating that and not look further into that? ....Maybe somebody didn't want them or him building a mall or wanted to have the building land for other purposes?

The second wife went with him to the hospital, so they didn't took tests for checking if she could be the shooter. I'm not an expert but how long afterwards could this still be tested. No follow up. Was she cleared?

What about the robbery at the service station? Was there any money taken? He was grabbed from behind, handcuffed and stabbed. There had to be at least two persons, because LE says "a third person, a woman with short red hair" but leaving out a description of the other two...

I just have read the first newspaper article and some comments on Facebook, so many questions are rising....

I have ½ the screenplay written because it is my life. I've been on and off trying to figure this out - my feeling is that he committed suicide but I was a 12 year old in Seattle when it happened. He was a Purple Heart Vietnam veteran and had pain both body and soul. I get the distinct feeling he was troubled but that does not rule out murder. It has been driving me ½ insane for my whole life. It used to be something I had buried and only shared with people I trust. Now that this note is out, all of a sudden the world knows and it has really spun me out to lose that control. But I'm embracing it and hoping to find out if there were dirty cops, or family, or if he just did what many Vietnam Veterans (and modern veterans do) and just couldn't take it and killed himself.

acs
Hi Adam,

My motto in life is "Everything happens for a reason". There a reason this note has come to light many years after your dad died. I'm glad that fresh eyes may help bring closure to what must be very traumatic for you. This really smells like small town politics. I made a post earlier, not really grasping the facts, but wondering if maybe his wife in New Mexico had been trying to off him with all of his bad luck leading up to his death. But then, why pursue the murder theory? Unless it was to access a policy that would be unavailable to her if he suicided? Things that make me go hmmm.

You have brought your case to a really great forum. There are people here that are amazing. I have subscribed to this thread. I wish you luck. And lastly, Welcome. We are very victim friendly here. You will find compassion and dignity for your Vietnam hero dad.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

acs
Boy, I sure am getting all kinds of hinky readings on this wife.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thank you Adam. I feel for you....It's hard to dig everything up....I will totally respect it if you 'back down' but at the same time I don't see you do that because it was with you for so long. The least I can do is support you.

Allfalldown, please check your inbox under notifications at the top, if you don't mind. Thanks!

Sorry to read here about what you have gone through and continue to go through Allfalldown!
Forgive if asked before, but what was the value of his estate? Was there a will?

The gun-butt note; really strange..... who found it? What's the history of that gun's ownership? Trying to think as a gun owner if I would ever hide a note in that way... I wouldn't, thinking the use of cleaning fluids would make the note illegible.

Occam's razor - while suicide fits on the one-hand; might not all the events that happened in the weeks before his death fit a razor saying the simplest explanation is that they are all related....

No worries at all. I didn't think you were being flippant, I've often thought, because I'm a good writer and pretty creative, that it would make an interesting screenplay or a book. But from whose point of view? Mine? The second wife? His point of view? The police Point of view?

As for spending 32 years of my life trying to find breadcrumbs, one of the only things he left me was a nice late 1960s Samsonite briefcase. When you open it up you can smell the old paperwork. It's kind of funny, but that is now burned into my mind how much effort and thought I put into it. That briefcase full of documents, Notes, letters.

That is a very cool memento to have.

Do you think it might work to write it as a series of shorter stories, one from each point of view? I'm not very good at writing my personal experience directly, so if it had happened to me, I'd probably write it as a mystery. It's usually easier when I filter it through a couple of layers of fiction.

That is a very cool memento to have.

Do you think it might work to write it as a series of shorter stories, one from each point of view? I'm not very good at writing my personal experience directly, so if it had happened to me, I'd probably write it as a mystery. It's usually easier when I filter it through a couple of layers of fiction.

Yes. It is a mystery. I have "new" old documents and comments rolling in daily since I revived this chapter in my life for scrutiny. Apparently he may have been an informant to some criminal activity in the city. I have only recently heard this. I will be uploading a drop box link to some pretty interesting documents including newspapers, autopsy reports and letters from just people in the area at the time. Stay tuned to the thread and when they're presentable and mostly legible I shall share the link.

Thanks for your kind interest. It is much appreciated.

acs

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back