Victim: Alicia Showalter Reynolds and the Route 29 Stalker, 2 March 1996

What do you think about the later police sketch versus the first one in the three person sketch?

news-poster.jpg

Did they publicize the stops in Stafford and Fredericksburg, or is this something that was only talked about locally?
They announced the guy was attempting to pull women over locally ,in Fredericksburg and Stafford and on RT 3

What do you think about the later police sketch versus the first one in the three person sketch?

news-poster.jpg

Did they publicize the stops in Stafford and Fredericksburg, or is this something that was only talked about locally?[/QUO

Speaking of the first sketch... Does anyone else think the first sketch looks at all like a younger LLW Jr.? He abducted and killed the Lyon sisters in 1976, eventually transporting them from Maryland to Virginia. He lived in Prince William County, VA. He was at large until he was arrested in 2016 iirc. Who knows what else he did in the 30 years between the Lyon sisters and he plead guilty for killing the Lyon sisters.

There is a photo of a young LLW Jr. if you scroll down a bit in this link: Lyon sisters case: Man pleads guilty to 1975 murders of 2 Maryland girls

It wasn't just the Lyon sisters he harmed: Lloyd Welch pleads guilty in two child sex assaults

Speaking of the first sketch... Does anyone else think the first sketch looks at all like LLW Jr.? He abducted and killed the Lyon sisters in 1976, eventually transporting them from Maryland to Virginia. He lived in Prince William County, VA in 1996. He was convicted of assaulting two girls there in 1996. Would be interesting to know what all he was up to in the 40 years between abducting the Lyon sisters in 1975 and 2016 when he plead guilty for killing the Lyon sisters.

There is a photo of a very young (18 yr old)LLW Jr. if you scroll down a bit in this link: Lyon sisters case: Man pleads guilty to 1975 murders of 2 Maryland girls

The route 29 stalker sketches were drawn when LLW Jr. was approx. 38 yrs old. The sketch, to me shows a receding hairline starting.

This article explains a bit about the various states that he committed crimes in and a bit about his timeline.
It wasn't just the Lyon sisters he harmed: Lloyd Welch pleads guilty in two child sex assaults

Last edited:
Personally I don't think he looks that much like the sketch. Here's a mug shot from Montgomery Co. Plus pedophiles usually do not sexually assault adults. His known victims were 6, 10, 10 and 12. I remember the searches on Taylors Mountain - one of my good friends lives less than 5 miles from it.

Welch_Jr_Lloyd_Lee_.jpg

Speaking of the first sketch... Does anyone else think the first sketch looks at all like LLW Jr.? He abducted and killed the Lyon sisters in 1976, eventually transporting them from Maryland to Virginia. He lived in Prince William County, VA in 1996. He was convicted of assaulting two girls there in 1996. Would be interesting to know what all he was up to in the 40 years between abducting the Lyon sisters in 1975 and 2016 when he plead guilty for killing the Lyon sisters.

There is a photo of a very young (18 yr old)LLW Jr. if you scroll down a bit in this link: Lyon sisters case: Man pleads guilty to 1975 murders of 2 Maryland girls

The route 29 stalker sketches were drawn when LLW Jr. was approx. 38 yrs old. The sketch, to me shows a receding hairline starting.

This article explains a bit about the various states that he committed crimes in and a bit about his timeline.

I agree with you the composite sketch of Lloyd Welch looks similar. Sorry to continue a theme but am I certain the Route 29 Stalker was Ralph Jackson. People in Virginia thought it might be him at the time and it does not help in my opinion the FBI have cleared him in some of his crimes yet as of today have still not identified him as the Serial Killer he was still almost nine years after his arrest in 2010. If you notice he did not want to plead guilty so do not be mislead into thinking he had any remorse about his 2010 as he did not as it was not his only one. Good work with the Welch composite sketch.

I agree with you the composite sketch of Lloyd Welch looks similar. Sorry to continue a theme but am I certain the Route 29 Stalker was Ralph Jackson. People in Virginia thought it might be him at the time and it does not help in my opinion the FBI have cleared him in some of his crimes yet as of today have still not identified him as the Serial Killer he was still almost nine years after his arrest in 2010. If you notice he did not want to plead guilty so do not be mislead into thinking he had any remorse about his 2010 as he did not as it was not his only one. Good work with the Welch composite sketch.

Good work with that Welch composite sketch because I thought it looked a little bit like my suspect Jackson but of course it was not. Interesting to read posts and theories in the case but of course I only have one suspect. Here is a link to the Spingola Files from April 2010 when people in Virginia thought Jackson might be linked to more crimes there including the Route 29 Stalker case. I have also seen comments below articles where people thought he resembled the Route 29 Stalker Sketch:

» 2010 » April

Personally I don't think he looks that much like the sketch. Here's a mug shot from Montgomery Co. Plus pedophiles usually do not sexually assault adults. His known victims were 6, 10, 10 and 12. I remember the searches on Taylors Mountain - one of my good friends lives less than 5 miles from it.

Welch_Jr_Lloyd_Lee_.jpg

Good post but I think there a number of examples of Serial Killers attacking children and adults and Ted Bundy is just one example.

Good post but I think there a number of examples of Serial Killers attacking children and adults and Ted Bundy is just one example.

Bundy's last victim was 12 and I think that happened out of desperation and fear. He himself was ashamed of it, he refused to talk about her in interviews. His first victim may have been an 8 year old, but he was only 15 at the time.

Good work with that Welch composite sketch because I thought it looked a little bit like my suspect Jackson but of course it was not. Interesting to read posts and theories in the case but of course I only have one suspect. Here is a link to the Spingola Files from April 2010 when people in Virginia thought Jackson might be linked to more crimes there including the Route 29 Stalker case. I have also seen comments below articles where people thought he resembled the Route 29 Stalker Sketch:

» 2010 » April

I agree that Jackson does look similar to the first sketch. Darrell Rice looks like the third sketch. I personally know someone who looks exactly like the bottom, later sketch.

Bundy's last victim was 12 and I think that happened out of desperation and fear. He himself was ashamed of it, he refused to talk about her in interviews. His first victim may have been an 8 year old, but he was only 15 at the time.

Interesting post. I personally do not think that many Serial Killers have a moral compass that distinguish between children and adults. The relatively recently arrested Golden State Killer attacked at least one child victim I know of and I would bet on there being more. Here is a Serial Killer who killed both adults, children, men and women:

Paul John Knowles - Wikipedia

Just my opinion but I do not believe Ted Bundy cared about the child victim or else he would not have killed them. To me is a Serial Killer became weaker they might start peaking on 'weaker' targets. Of course you others may be right with your suspects but I am pretty sure Jackson was Route 29 Stalker. He was left handed and the Route 29 Stalker swiped his hair from his face with his left hand and the Route 29 Stalker was reported as being softly spoken. Also Jackson was a part time mechanic when he was arrested and the Route 29 Stalker was acting out a fantasy of pretending to fix victims cars. He is also the right age and would have been about forty two or forty three years old at the time of the crime. I wish you the best of luck with your research into your suspect though as if any case deserves to be solved this one does.

I totally agree this case needs to be solved. It amazes me that with all the information that is out and knowing the police have DNA that it’s not solved. One thing that makes me think it’s not a known suspect.

I totally agree this case needs to be solved. It amazes me that with all the information that is out and knowing the police have DNA that it’s not solved. One thing that makes me think it’s not a known suspect.

I hope it is solved to like you. I am not sure how good the DNA is in the Route 29 Stalker case because if I remember right Daryll Rice was also charged in the Shenandoah National Park murders and I think he was cleared or case dropped because his DNA was not consistent with the DNA found at that crime scene. Other posters might know more about the DNA in the Route 29 Stalker case. I will not keep saying it because I have said it before but I am sure the Route 29 Stalker was Ralph Jackson and the reason he has not been identified as of today is he was a very prolific Serial Killer. I of course think it would have been better if he had never existed especially for the young male victim in the 2010 Blue Ridgeway Shooting and any other victims. I still hold out hope he might be identified for all of the victims in his crimes.

I hope it is solved to like you. I am not sure how good the DNA is in the Route 29 Stalker case because if I remember right Daryll Rice was also charged in the Shenandoah National Park murders and I think he was cleared or case dropped because his DNA was not consistent with the DNA found at that crime scene. Other posters might know more about the DNA in the Route 29 Stalker case. I will not keep saying it because I have said it before but I am sure the Route 29 Stalker was Ralph Jackson and the reason he has not been identified as of today is he was a very prolific Serial Killer. I of course think it would have been better if he had never existed especially for the young male victim in the 2010 Blue Ridgeway Shooting and any other victims. I still hold out hope he might be identified for all of the victims in his crimes.

Rice was excluded by DNA for Williams and Winans murders - they found DNA from two unknown males in that case. Nuclear DNA and fingerprints were found in Reynolds case according to a 2013 article.

There is a new book on the Colonial Parkway Murders, 'A Special Kind of Evil: The Colonial Parkway Serial Killings' by true crime authors Blaine Pardoe and Victoria Hester out now. Well worth reading. The book includes coverage of the Route 29 Stalker case and the death of Alicia Showalter Reynolds.

https://www.amazon.com/Special-Kind.../ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathy Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

Thank you for posting this book, I will definitely read it. I am sorry for your loss and hope one day the person will be found.

Rice was excluded by DNA for Williams and Winans murders - they found DNA from two unknown males in that case. Nuclear DNA and fingerprints were found in Reynolds case according to a 2013 article.

Thanks for that information about the fingerprints I did not realise that

Thanks for that information about the fingerprints I did not realise that

Yeah, why I am convinced it's an unsub (unknown subject) - any person already in the criminal justice system would have been matched to this case by now.

Evidence in ‘29 Stalker’ to get new look

A 2007 investigative report by The Free Lance–Star noted that nuclear DNA found with Reynolds’ remains was a candidate for updated analysis.

Paul Ferrara, who was then the director of Virginia’s labs, recommended that testing be done.

In addition, forensic scientists now frequently have success in finding what’s referred to as “touch DNA” in cold cases.

Touch DNA, as the term suggests, is DNA left behind after someone grabs something.

When DNA analysis was in its infancy, scientists needed a large sample of biological material—at least the size of a silver dollar—to produce a DNA profile. Today, a profile can be produced from as little as a few hundred cells—or what would fit on the head of a pin.

It’s even possible to lift it from a fingerprint, experts say.

Detectives obtained fingerprints from evidence in the case, including Reynolds’ car and items from her wallet, located before her body was found.

With respect to sketches in general the thing is the features are characteristic of the perp, even if the sketch is off, the features should be consistent with the real perp. Therefore, I notice RLJ has a fairly nice sized upper lip. However all of the sketches have a thin upper lip. Also, he resided on the other side of the Blue Ridge from where the 29 activity (at least the northern stretch) took place. I would expect the area of focus Orange, Madison, Culpeper, Warrenton, and out towards Dumfries, Lorton, Manassas, etc. to be the stalker's home turf. That is one of the reasons I doubt RLJ for the majority of the 29 stops.

I am not sold on it being LLW Jr. but in 1996 he was living in close proximity. From the majority of the four sketches it appears the stalker is either light brown, blond or strawberry blond with a pale complexion. That coincides with the description that one of the posters here described from a first hand view point earlier in this thread. LLW Jr appears to have been a dark blond or brunette during those years. His nose is rather wide. Only one of the four sketches had a wide nose (#2). I am rather confused by sketch #3, I think he doesn't match the others, eye color is brown and very thin long nose. The #1 & #2 sketch are strikingly similar, I am forgetting the background on that. I am curious to hear you guys' take on the sketches. #4 sketch has a lot of the features that RAT has. I am not sure if he owned a vehicle, but maybe someone local could chime in.

Last edited:
Yeah, why I am convinced it's an unsub (unknown subject) - any person already in the criminal justice system would have been matched to this case by now.

Evidence in ‘29 Stalker’ to get new look

A 2007 investigative report by The Free Lance–Star noted that nuclear DNA found with Reynolds’ remains was a candidate for updated analysis.

Paul Ferrara, who was then the director of Virginia’s labs, recommended that testing be done.

In addition, forensic scientists now frequently have success in finding what’s referred to as “touch DNA” in cold cases.

Touch DNA, as the term suggests, is DNA left behind after someone grabs something.

When DNA analysis was in its infancy, scientists needed a large sample of biological material—at least the size of a silver dollar—to produce a DNA profile. Today, a profile can be produced from as little as a few hundred cells—or what would fit on the head of a pin.

It’s even possible to lift it from a fingerprint, experts say.

Detectives obtained fingerprints from evidence in the case, including Reynolds’ car and items from her wallet, located before her body was found.

Good information. I need to make this important point one more time for you Americans though. The FBI know Ralph Jackson is a Serial Killer likely the Route 29 Stalker but have still not identified him. I hope I am wrong but these Virginian cases will never be solved until people understand this. There are many DNA hits that's why as an institution they have never wanted to admit he exists. I believe innocent people are in prison for his crimes and they still have not admitted he existed. He has been cleared likely dead but others suffer for his crimes. Thanks for the information and good luck with your suspect.

Good information. I need to make this important point one more time for you Americans though. The FBI know Ralph Jackson is a Serial Killer likely the Route 29 Stalker but have still not identified him. I hope I am wrong but these Virginian cases will never be solved until people understand this. There are many DNA hits that's why as an institution they have never wanted to admit he exists. I believe innocent people are in prison for his crimes and they still have not admitted he existed. He has been cleared likely dead but others suffer for his crimes. Thanks for the information and good luck with your suspect.

Where is the proof of these DNA hits? Where are you getting this information?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back