Deceased/Not Found VT - Iris Brown, 27, Burlington, 15 March 1976 *W. Posey guilty*

These photo's which resemble Iris Brown were found by police in convicted serial killer Rodney Alcala's storage unit. If they are her then how is William Posey responsible for her murder?

One of the articles said the woman in the leather-and-wool coat is still alive and has identified herself to LE.

One of the articles said the woman in the leather-and-wool coat is still alive and has identified herself to LE.

Can you post a copy or link to that? Is there evidence of this?

If that's so then I'll just leave these comparison photo's for the viewers to decide for them selves.

Attachments

• Iris Brown Comparison b.bmp
    189.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Iris Brown Comparison a.bmp
    197.3 KB · Views: 24
Well, I think that Posey did this, and I'm glad that her family has that much 'closure,' but there are problems with Posey's confession. First, if you're going from Burlington to Connecticut, you don't go very near the Shelburne Museum. You can hook up to I-89 South in Burlington near the University, or from the spur in South Burlington. He admits telling her the lie about her boyfriend's early release to get her in his car, but the story about his flipping out and strangling her when she refused to sell cocaine for him isn't very plausible. Then there's blood in his car, which would be more consistent with a stabbing than strangulation. If he really did kill her near the Museum (or the more secluded, attached Shelburne Farms area), he could have driven north on 7 to the spur to the interstate, or he could have driven from Shelburne to Williston and picked up the interstate there. Between Shelburne/Williston and Barre, which is a little beyond Montpelier, there are plenty of bridges over rivers. The state does a pretty good job of maintaining the roadsides, so it seems to me more likely that she was pitched into the water, as the ground would normally still be pretty well frozen in mid March. If he really did travel past Waterbury to Barre, where he reportedly was sighted later that day, then chances are he dumped her somewhere between Waterbury and Barre. I don't know what the snows were like in the winter of 1975-76, but she could have been pushed a considerable distance downstream in the spring runoff. I don't think that at the time there were many state roadside facilities, so it seems unlikely that between people stopping to relieve themselves and tow trucks stopping for disabled vehicles and wrecks she could just have been in a gulley without being discovered. This guy's thought to have murdered other women whose remains weren't found, so it seems he took a modicum of care, generally, and in this case perhaps more than the usual amount, since she'd notified friends where she was going and with whom.

Hi, first post on WebSleuths. I'm doing a deep dive on Posey to look at his connection to other crimes, and I was wondering if anyone knew more information about the woman he murdered in Illinois in 1980? I've seen in mentioned in news articles & court documents but I've been unable to find a name. Thank you.

Iris Leslie Brown
iris_leslie_brown_1.jpg
iris_leslie_brown_2.jpg
iris_leslie_brown_3.jpg
iris_leslie_brown_4.jpg
iris_leslie_brown_5.jpg

Brown, circa 1976; William Posey

• Missing Since 03/15/1976
  • Missing From Burlington, Vermont
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 05/26/1948 (72)
  • Age 27 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'4, 127 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A long green wool coat and blue jeans.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Dark brown hair, hazel eyes. Brown's ears are pierced.
Details of Disappearance

Brown was last seen leaving her Burlington, Vermont apartment on March 15, 1976. She was accompanied by William John Posey Jr. at the time. Posey was supposed to drive her to Connecticut to visit her boyfriend, Martin Gold. He was incarcerated on drug charges and Posey told Brown he was about to be released early.

Brown never arrived to see Gold and has never been heard from again. When questioned about her disappearance, Posey initially said he had driven Brown partway to Connecticut, but he left her in Springfield, Massachusetts after they found out Gold was not going to be released from prison after all.

Authorities believed Brown had been murdered, and Posey has always been the prime suspect in her disappearance and presumed death. A photo of him is posted with this case summary. Blood matching Brown's type was found on the seat and floor of his car. He was convicted of kidnapping in her case in 1981 and sentenced to life in prison, but was not charged with murder, as her body has never been located.

Posey pleaded guilty to the abduction and murder of an Illinois woman in 1980 and is currently incarcerated in a North Carolina prison. He was considered a possible suspect in the 1978 disappearance of Judy Martins from Kent, Ohio. Posey lived in Kent at the time Martins disappeared. He was using the name John T. Scorpione at the time. She has never been located and her case remains unsolved.

In 2008, Posey confessed to causing Brown's death after investigators promised him he would not face charges in connection with it. He said he never intended to take Brown to her boyfriend and only promised he would as a way of luring her into his car. He stated they never got much farther than Barre, Vermont.

Posey tried to convince Brown to help him sell cocaine and when she refused, they got into an argument and he strangled her near the Shelburne Museum. He stated he dropped her body over a guardrail on Interstate 89 in Vermont, but couldn't remember exactly where. Brown's family accepted Posey's story and said they would hold a memorial service for her.

Brown grew up in Enosberg Falls, Vermont. She graduated from Enosburg Falls High School and the University of Vermont. Investigators plan to renew the search for her remains.

Investigating Agency
  • Burlington Police Department 802-658-2704
Source Information

This year marks 46 years since Iris went missing...

iris_leslie_brown_4.jpg

Iris Leslie Brown, age 27
Missing since 15 March 1976

Bump for Iris

11 Unidentified Person Exclusions

1688786620010.jpeg
1688786641649.jpeg

Hi, first post on WebSleuths. I'm doing a deep dive on Posey to look at his connection to other crimes, and I was wondering if anyone knew more information about the woman he murdered in Illinois in 1980? I've seen in mentioned in news articles & court documents but I've been unable to find a name. Thank you.
I’m very much curious regarding the Illinois case. I have him on my radar in the disappearance of Margaret Ann Hayes on March 10, 1977 around 11 pm in Bloomington, In. Very similar to Martins disappearance at Kent St and around the same time period. Wondering if the victim is Illinois was in a college town. Bloomington is currently 5 hours from Kent St, but since Indiana is between Ohio and Illinois….

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back