VT VT - Lynne Kathryn Schulze, 18, Middlebury, 10 Dec 1971

I wonder what the description of her at the bus station was like...just one person or a group of people that saw someone resembling her. If she did have $30 in cash on her when she went to the exam I wonder what it was for? That is a lot of money to carry in '71 just to be going to take an exam where you don't need any money.

Lynne Kathryn Schulze
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/schulze_lynne.html

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: December 10, 1971 from Middlebury, Vermont
Classification: Endangered Missing
Height and Weight: 5'3, 115 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Light brown hair, blue eyes. Schulze had severe acne at the time of her disappearance.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: Blue jeans, a maroon pullover sweater, and a brown ski parka.
Medical Conditions: Schulze may have been mildly depressed at the time of her disappearance.

Details of Disappearance

Schulze was last seen leaving her dormitory on the Middlebury College campus in Middlebury, Vermont on December 10, 1971, the first day of final exams before Christmas break started. She was on her way to take a final exam with her friends when she said she had forgotten her favorite pen and was going to go back to get it. Schulze never arrived at the exam and has never been heard from again. She left her identification, checkbook and all her personal belongings behind when she vanished. She may have been carrying $30 in cash with her. Campus security was alerted to Schulze's disappearance two days after she was last seen, but her parents were not notified for a week.

Schulze had mentioned the idea of faking her own death and starting life anew prior to her disappearance, but her friends did not take her seriously. In her letters to family and friends back home she admitted she felt homesick and was considering withdrawing from school in the future, but she never indicated she was planning on dropping out of sight or leaving college before the term was over, and she did register for the next semester's classes prior to her disappearance.
There were several possible sightings of Schulze after her disappearance, but none of them were confirmed. Several people made confessions of involvement in her case, but all of their statements turned out to be false. Little evidence is available as to her fate, but Schulze's disappearance is considered suspicious. She was a freshman at Middlebury in 1971, and lived in Simsbury, Connecticut when she was not at college. Her case is unsolved.

Some agencies give the date of Schulze's disappearance as December 11, 1971.

I wonder if her favorite pen was located back at her dorm room or is it missing? If it's missing she must have made it back there and then went missing on her way back to the exam.

Lynne Kathryn Schulze

schulze_lynne.jpg
schulze_lynne2.jpg
schulze_lynne3.jpg

Above Images: Schulze, circa 1971
bar.jpg

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: December 10, 1971 from Middlebury, Vermont
Height and Weight: 5'3, 115 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Light brown hair, blue eyes. Schulze had severe acne at the time of her disappearance.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: Blue jeans, a maroon pullover sweater, and a brown ski parka.
Medical Conditions: Schulze may have been mildly depressed at the time of her disappearance.

Two students-- both missing-- both from the same college-- and neither with an obvious motive to disappear. The difference-- 19-year-old Nick Garza went missing several weeks ago. Lynne Schulze hasn't been seen or heard from since 1971, when she left a group of friends because she had forgotten her pen.

"So she said, 'I'm going to go get it. Go ahead without me.' So she went back to her dorm room to get her pen and never showed up," said Lynne Schulze's sister Anne Schulze.
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=7948616

This disappearance has always intrigued me because she was exactly my age. Every time I see her photo it seems like she was right out of my high school yearbook. This article has today's date on the front page but I think the article is actually from about 2-3 years ago. Interesting nonetheless.

Missing woman mystery continues ...

JOYCE PRESCOTT PERSING, left, Michelle Factor, Mary Jane Oresik and Susan Randall look through the Addison Independent archives from 1971 in search of stories about the mysterious disappearance of Middlebury College student Lynne Schulze. The women, three of whom were childhood friends of Schulze, were in Middlebury last week to look for clues in the unsolved case.

more at link..

http://www.addisonindependent.com/?q=node/194

Lynne Kathryn Schulze
Missing since December 10, 1971 from Middlebury, Addison County, Vermont

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: 1953
Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5’3”; 115 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Light brown hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: Severe acne on face at time of disappearance.
Clothing: Blue jeans, brown ski parka and maroon pullover sweater.
Dentals: Available
DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Schulze was last seen at Middlebury College in Middlebury, Vermont on December 10, 1971.

She headed across campus to take an exam when, friends said, she turned around and went back to retrieve a pencil from her dorm room. She didn’t show up for the exam. Later, her friends went back to her room. All her clothes was there, but she was gone. Her wallet was still in the room. Other than a report that she allegedly was spotted walking along U.S. 7 south of Middlebury later that day, she was never seen again.

Lynne Schulze entered Middlebury College as a freshman in September 1971. While authorities believe she may have been a little depressed and self-conscious — due in part to an acne condition — she appeared to be well-adjusted. According to authorities, she was a typical, wholesome, all-American kid off at college.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Middlebury Police Department
Officer Vegar Boe
802-388-3191

Email : vboe@police.middlebury.vt.us

Agency Case #: 92-1939

Source Information:

Vermont State Police
Motorcyclist Online
Burlington Free Press
The Addison Independent
The Doe Network: Case File 1582DFVT

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1582dfvt.html

Bump

Now that we have a missing forum for those missing from the 1970's perhaps this thread would get more attention there? TIA.

While I barely remember Lynne as she was my older sister's friend, I do know that no one who knew her, friends or family believe that she would ever have hurt her family in that way. The relationship she shared with her parents and siblings was not one where she would need to "disappear", it was open and loving. As for the photo - this looks nothing like Lynne did as a teenager, nor does it bear resemblance to her siblings who are now of a similar age.

I still wonder if she could have been a Bundy victim. In Ann Rule's book she mentions that in going back over her notes she realized that it was the fall of 1971 when he visited Vermont, not 1969 as she had previously thought. It just sounds so much like something Bundy would do, stalk a girl on a college campus & lure her to his car in the few second when nobody was looking, never to be seen again. Ann Rule also mentions a young woman who was killed in Vermont in the fall of 1971 in the manner that Bundy killed the Florida sorority victims, strangling them in bed as they slept, sexually assaulting them & beating them severely in the head. This murder was never solved.
Also, I can't seem to find in any article anywhere whether Lynne's pen was in her room after she disappeared or not. It might not help much to know this, but at least we'd know if she made it to her room or not.
As for the Alcala photo, I do see some similarity. I have a feeling that several of our missing ladies were his victims. There are many more photos which haven't even been made public, apparently due to the sexual nature of them.

Lynne Kathryn Schulze
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: December 10, 1971
Location Last Seen: Middlebury, Addison County, Vermont

Physical Description** Listed information is from the time of disappearance.

Date of Birth: 1953
Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
Race: Caucasian
Height at Time of Disappearance: 5’3
Weight at Time of Disappearance: 115 lbs
Hair Color: Light brown
Eye Color: Blue
Alias(s) / Nickname(s): Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Severe acne on face at time of disappearance.
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not available
DNA: Not available Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Blue jeans, brown ski parka and maroon pullover sweater.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance

Schulze was last seen at Middlebury College in Middlebury, Vermont on December 10, 1971. She headed across campus to take an exam when, friends said, she turned around and went back to retrieve a pencil from her dorm room.

She didn’t show up for the exam.

Later, her friends went back to her room. All her clothes was there, but she was gone. Her wallet was still in the room.

Other than a report that she allegedly was spotted walking along U.S. 7 south of Middlebury later that day, she was never seen again.

Lynne Schulze entered Middlebury College as a freshman in September 1971. While authorities believe she may have been a little depressed and self-conscious — due in part to an acne condition — she appeared to be well-adjusted. According to authorities, she was a typical, wholesome, all-American kid off at college.

Investigating Agency(s)

If you have any information about this case please contact;

Agency Name: Middlebury Police Department
Agency Contact Person: Officer Vegar Boe
Agency Phone Number: 802-388-3191

E-Mail : vboe@middleburypolice.org

Agency Case Number: 92-1939

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Information Source(s)
Vermont State Police
Motorcyclist Online
Burlington Free Press
The Addison Independent
The Doe Network: Lynne Kathryn Schulze - 1582DFVT

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1582dfvt.html

Here are some links to recent articles and web postings on Lynne:

www.motorcyclistonline.com/escape/favoriterides/122_0205_home/
Lynne Kathryn Schulze. June 1971. Looking For Lynne Schulze .... Lynne Kathryn Schulze was last seen in Middlebury, Vermont, on December 11, 1971.

www.addisonindependent.com/?q=node/194
Anne Rozmovits, one of Lynne Schulze's four siblings, said she recently re-read the roughly three-dozen letters Lynne had exchanged with her family and ...

unsolveditn.blogspot.com/2012_01_01_archive.html
Jan 1, 2012 ... Forty years ago Saturday, Middlebury College freshman Lynne Kathryn Schulze was walking to a final exam with fellow students when she ...

projectjason.org/forums/index.php?topic=9114.0
Jul 13, 2010 ... Lynne Katherine Schulze was just about to complete her first semester at Middlebury College in 1971. Her first time away from home was not ...

amc-alertmissingchild.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=126252703
May 18, 2011 ... Lynne was last seen at Middlebury College in Middlebury, Vermont on December 10, 1971. Eyes-Blue, Hair-Lt Brown, White Female. She was ...

Family Hopes For Break In Long-Missing Vt Student

Woman Disappears After Returning To Dorm

(December 2011 Article)

Lynne Kathryn Schulze's family and friends are still hoping for a break that could solve the mystery of what led to the Vermont college student's disappearance 40 years ago.

Lynne's younger sister, Anne, who lives in New Hampshire, tells the Burlington Free Press that the family hopes Lynne's remains will be found or at least it gets some confirmation about her death. But her family and friends don't believe that Lynne is alive and suspect she was killed or accidentally died soon after she disappeared.

As a freshman at Middlebury College, Lynne Kathryn Schulze was walking to a final exam with fellow students when she said she had to get something from her dorm room. She left them to head back, and then vanished. She's still missing....

LINK:

http://www.wptz.com/Family-Hopes-Fo...5717654/-/14cqdciz/-/index.html#ixzz29eqVyQp4

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saky
Back