GUILTY VT - Nicholas Desnoyers-Langlois, 8, drowned, Isle LaMotte, 15 Aug 2006

Heaven has another angel. :( What a precious little boy.

D_S, how do you think the insanity defense will go over with a jury there?

Heaven has another angel. :( What a precious little boy.

D_S, how do you think the insanity defense will go over with a jury there?
To my dearest Taximom,:blowkiss:
People here will not forget and they are still outraged over her taking her own son's life. Nicholas did not die a quick death. He knew that his own mother was killing him.
She drove from Canada to Vermont with her son. She lead Nicholas to the water without a stuggle, he trusted her. She took his life because she was upset over a common law relationship that was ending.
She left an entrail of hurt by murdering her own son.
For so many, this case is still fresh in the minds of so many here in Vermont.
I do not forsee that defense going very far here on that case. I will keep you informed

All of my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

this part of the above link does not make sense to me.
But an independent psychiatrist for Desnoyers said she was insane at the time of the murder
either you are independent or you work for the defence not both. when a judge randomly picks a expert i trust them more than when a attorney does it.

this part of the above link does not make sense to me. either you are independent or you work for the defence not both. when a judge randomly picks a expert i trust them more than when a attorney does it.
To my very dearest Sherri,:blowkiss:
Thank-you so much for your post and I agree with you.

She drove from Canada to Vermont with no traffic stops. She knew enough to look at the speedometer and clearly know the difference in the way the speedometer reads for Canada and the way to read it in the states.
She clearly stated that she did not want him to go through the pain of the breakup. So it is obvious that she had a plan prior to coming here to Vermont. There is enough for a murder charge because intent can be shown. She knew that she did wrong when she murdered her son and she "attempted" to take her own life more than once after she murdered her son. She knew the differance between right and wrong.

She did not come here to start a new life and shelter her son from a breakup. She came here with death to her son on her mind.
No one should ever put a relationship above there own child.

This is only my opinion.

All of my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

New article...

Next week's trial of a Montreal woman accused of drowning her son in August 2006 in Lake Champlain was postponed indefinitely Friday amid an abandoned plea deal, a judge's wish for secrecy and, chiefly, concerns about the suspect's mental health.

Louise Desnoyers, 50, clutching a wad of tissues in her shackled hands and staring at the defense table, wept throughout a hastily arranged afternoon hearing in Vermont District Court in North Hero.

Lawyers and a psychiatrist huddled privately with Judge Ben Joseph. After a delay of nearly three hours they agreed to postpone the trial because Desnoyers, previously determined to be fit for trial, no longer was mentally competent.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080126/NEWS02/801260318/1007

She should sit there and cry...I hope that she is riddled with guilt and remorse. If she wanted to kill herself bad enough she would find a way to do it even in jail. It has been done many times before.

I think she killed that little darling boy to get back at the man she had lived with for all of those years. She wanted to take something from him that would hurt him as badly as she was hurt. That is my opinion anyway.

How do you lead a 8 yr old to water and then hold him down until he is dead? He must have fought her when he realized what was happening. What a horrible thing to do to your own little boy.

She is probably really putting it on now so she won't have to go to trial. She might as well such it up cause she is going to be tried whether it be now or later. I hope they throw the book at her.

Just thinking how an 8 year old thinks and he probably complied like BA said but then tried to fight back. Anyone would. How terrible and postponed indefinitely? What constitutes that you are mentally unfit?

She should sit there and cry...I hope that she is riddled with guilt and remorse. If she wanted to kill herself bad enough she would find a way to do it even in jail. It has been done many times before.

I think she killed that little darling boy to get back at the man she had lived with for all of those years. She wanted to take something from him that would hurt him as badly as she was hurt. That is my opinion anyway.

How do you lead a 8 yr old to water and then hold him down until he is dead? He must have fought her when he realized what was happening. What a horrible thing to do to your own little boy.

She is probably really putting it on now so she won't have to go to trial. She might as well such it up cause she is going to be tried whether it be now or later. I hope they throw the book at her.

ITA, I too believe she wanted to get back at common law husband.. I had a hard time thinking about when she held him under water, had the same hard time with Andrea Yates & her drowning her 7 year old. I think in both cases an 8 & 7 yr. old would indeed try to fight to save their lives, it's just instinct. Poor little guy.

spacer.gif

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]My Frined John is one of the Vt state Police officers who took him from the water, it Caused him alot of problems. It really hurt him and now has to talk to a counselor about it. [/FONT]
http://www.wcax.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=2135616&h1=Colchester%20Police%20Officer%20Fired&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=167667&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&playerVersion=1&hostPageUrl=http%3A//www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp%3FS%3D7778990&rnd=44090100

Very interesting case, I'll need to read up before I comment further.

My3girls/Bakerprune64

Trial date set in Desnoyers case

Published: Saturday, February 23, 2008
By Adam Silverman
Free Press Staff Writer

The murder trial of Louise Desnoyers, the Montreal woman accused of drowning her son in August 2006 in Isle La Motte, has been rescheduled for April after questions about the woman's mental stability postponed January proceedings.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008802230305

Psychiatrist: Mother Accused of Drowning Son Incompetent

Burlington, Vermont - April 4, 2008
A Montreal woman accused of killing her own son may never be tried for murder. Doctors say Louise Desnoyers is not mentally fit to defend herself.

8117992_BG1.jpg

Louise Desnoyers

8117992_BG2.jpg

Judge Ben Joseph

8117992_BG3.jpg

Judge Michael Kupersmith

here is a link for the article.
http://www.wcax.com/global/story.asp?s=8117992

Mother May Never be Tried for Murder

Burlington, Vermont - April 4, 2008
A Montreal woman accused of killing her own son may never be tried for murder. Doctors say Louise Desnoyers is not mentally fit to defend herself.
At trial this spring, Desnoyers planned to convince the jury she was innocent because she was insane when she killed her son. But her current mental health condition will probably postpone the murder trial-- possibly forever.

8117992_BG5.jpg

8117992_BG4.jpg

http://www.wcax.com/global/story.asp?s=8117992

Man what an epic case that is. If I understand what the judge said Desnoyers is currently not mentally fit to stand trial so he's sending her to a state hospital where treatment may or may not "restore" her competency to stand trial at a later date, where she will in all likeliness plead insanity, which will likley work because even the prosecution agrees that she is nuts. IMHO she'll be in that hospital for a very long time and may never stand trial. Not a bad deal for her considering that Burlington is about a 90-minute drive from Montreal so her folks can visit her every day if they feel like it.

Personally I have no opinion if this situation is satisfactory from a punishment point of view but I trust that the Vermont justice system worked as it should, after all maybe Desnoyers is a total lunatic. As for why she chose that spot (Isle La Motte) I can think of a few possibilities. A friend of mine who was originally from St. Albans, VT, often mentioned that many people from Montreal owned summer homes in Vermont because it's close to the city yet very pastoral, so big city folks are attracted to the area. He also says that many people from Quebec and Vermont are related so visiting family is another reason that draws Montrealers to Vermont. Maybe Desnoyers was familiar with Isle La Motte or some nearby town and chose that spot on purpose.

Another reason why she went there may simply be because Isle La Motte is, literally, the end of the road. Looking at a detailed map of the area I noticed that many small roads, including a few that lead to the island, run across the border with Canada. I myself being from a border state I know that some of these rural roads have no border checkpoints, only signs warning motorists that they are entering the US (or Canada) and that failure to report to a checkpoint will result in prosecution (implied: if you get caught by a patrol). But the border with Canada is not heavily patrolled (it's a world of difference with the Mexican border) so some people pay no attention to the warning and just keep on driving. Maybe that's what she did until she ran out of road at Isle La Motte. God only knows what was going through her head.

Montreal police officer suspended for mishandling Desnoyers missing persons case
Mother drowned her son after crossing to U.S.

The Quebec police ethics committee has ruled that Constable Josée Deslongchamps should have registered the names of Desnoyers and her 8-year-old son, along with the car's licence plate number, in a police database after she became aware that Desnoyers’s husband, Réal Langlois, had gone to his local police station to say they were missing.

Langlois went to Station 27 about 10:40 p.m. on Aug. 14, 2006, more than two hours after his wife left the house with their son.

A police officer told him to return home and to call 911, so officers could come to his home to take a report.

The ethics committee ruled that Deslongchamps, who was the acting sergeant that night, had enough information to treat the case as a “disappearance” and should have registered the names of Desnoyers and her son in the Centre de renseignements policiers du Québec (CRPQ), a database that includes licence plate numbers, addresses and criminal records.

Deslongchamps and Sgt. Jocelyn Angers, her supervisor that night, briefly discussed issuing an Amber Alert, but decided against it. Deslongchamps said she believed Langlois was mad at his wife and that the couple were bickering because they had planned to separate.

In 2009, a Vermont judge sentenced Desnoyers to 15 years in prison for drowning her son.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/opin...handling+Desnoyers+missing/7018634/story.html

2009:

A Montreal woman who drowned her 8-year-old son in Lake Champlain three years ago was sentenced to 15 years in prison on Wednesday after a judge rejected calls for leniency from dozens of her supporters...

Desnoyers' attorneys had considered trying to use an insanity defense, but agreed earlier this year to the plea agreement. The defense had asked for a 10-year-prison sentence.

After she is released from prison, Desnoyers will remain on probation for the rest of her life, but she will then be allowed to return to Canada.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/article/20090702/NEWS03/907020344/1004/NEWS03

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back