WA - Aeries Sherer, 6, found dead in home, Black Diamond, 22 August 2015

The articles refer to "a regional major crimes task force" which seems kind of vague.

The Black Diamond Police Department and a regional Major Crimes Task Force are now investigating the incident. Police are also interviewing family members.

The "King County Major Crimes Unit" (linked below) doesn't seem to fit that broad description IMO. But maybe because it works with other agencies, it could be called a "task force." Does anyone local know? In any case, it sounds very serious!

The unit works closely with federal, state and local agencies to resolve cases as quickly as possible.

http://www.kingcounty.gov/safety/sheriff/Enforcement/Investigations/MajorCrime.aspx

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...-Police-investigating-322606482.html?mobile=y

It's interesting that firefighters responded. The quote below makes it sound like it was firefighters + paramedics that responded, and then LE got involved later. I am just speculating: Is the story that she was playing with a match, and it went horribly wrong? Could she have started a fire in her room that took her life? The article says a sibling "wasn't involved in the"incident"...which seems like a weird phrase to use...like if Aeries drowned, would they say that?...the COD taking weeks could be because LE thinks the fire was just a coverup for something else, and now they have to examine a burn victim? And of course, LE would want to keep that really close to the vest if she did die in a such a horrific manner.

Firefighters from King County Fire District 44 and King County paramedics responded to the call Saturday afternoon in the 25100 block of Roberts Drive. Crews were unable to revive the young girl, said Police.

The Black Diamond Police Department and a regional Major Crimes Task Force are now investigating the incident. Police are also interviewing family members.

ETA: Okay...apparently firefighters can respond to medical calls, so maybe there wasn't a fire.

I'm not sure why the article says that about a positive ID taking time when another article gives her name and there is a in her name. I wonder if that was just the initial report. All the articles we've linked, including the one with her name are from 8/22, the day she died.

It could be just reporter confusion? Maybe the police said something like, "we can't identify her right now", meaning that they don't want to release her name yet, and went on saying that it takes time to get the test results, meaning the tox, etc. .

Looking around at the Black Diamond community, it seems very pretty and prosperous, has a lake and people are very close and supportive of one another. I also get the distinct impression many are aware of what the 'incident' was.

With the present weather and the homes looking big enough to house a pool, my guess would be that little Aeries drowned. Firefighters often attend drownings. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that drownings are reported straight away in many other states, often before the victim's name is even announced. But maybe it's different in WA.

Looking around at the Black Diamond community, it seems very pretty and prosperous, has a lake and people are very close and supportive of one another. I also get the distinct impression many are aware of what the 'incident' was.

With the present weather and the homes looking big enough to house a pool, my guess would be that little Aeries drowned. Firefighters often attend drownings. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that drownings are reported straight away in many other states, often before the victim's name is even announced. But maybe it's different in WA.

Early articles said that Aeries was found dead in her bedroom. That wouldn't preclude drowning, since there is the possibility of "dry" or secondary drowning later.

But "dry" and "secondary" drowning can happen hours after he's toweled off and moved on to other things.....These types of drowning can happen when your child breathes water into his lungs. Sometimes that happens when he's struggling while swimming. But it can be a result of something as simple as getting water in his mouth or getting dunked.

http://www.webmd.com/children/features/secondary-drowning-dry-drowning

Firefighters are usually first responders in any medical emergency and often bring more than enough equipment. Where I live, both a fire truck and a large medical van show up if there is any possibility of a heart problem, for example. (I'm not saying that was the case here.)

Oh gosh, yes. I forgot about the bedroom info.

Secondary drowning would be unlikely.Most parents would take their child to the hospital after a near-drowning, I'd hope?

Oh gosh, yes. I forgot about the bedroom info.

Secondary drowning would be unlikely.Most parents would take their child to the hospital after a near-drowning, I'd hope?

I think secondary drowning is unlikely too, but some parents might not be aware that it can happen after something less dramatic than a near-drowning. I hadn't heard of it until a couple of years ago.

Assuming for now that Aeries' death was an accident, I googled the things parents need to think about to prevent death or serious injury. Some are common sense, but a tragedy can happen if a child is out of sight, and at six they can certainly play in their room unsupervised...I guess.

Kids can choke on small toys or food, strangle with cords on clothing or windows, fall off a bunk bed wrong, climb a bureau that tips over on them, suffocate inside a toy chest...it's a wonder anyone survives!

http://www.parentguidenews.com/Articles/DeadlyAccidents

I can't imagine how devastating it would be for your child to die in a tragic accident, and then for LE to call in the "Major Crimes Unit" and start investigating your family. I think there has to be something about how Aeries died or the possible crime scene for LE to think something was hinky. I don't think they are just going to start a crusade for no reason.

Another thing is...If you search for Aeries Sherer on FB and on , no one is saying what the accident was. It makes me wonder if the family is keeping it extremely private, because it would raise people's hinky meters? Like it's not your ordinary domestic tragic accident?

I see the unmentionable site has a comment about how her little sister will need counselling for "what she saw", combined with the ID delay thing I guess this wasn't something where the poor kid would look as if she were sleeping :(

I see the unmentionable site has a comment about how her little sister will need counselling for "what she saw", combined with the ID delay thing I guess this wasn't something where the poor kid would look as if she were sleeping :(

It sounds to me like the child may have died as a result of an accidental strangulation or was in some way trapped by a bed or object such as a tilted dresser or television. Truly a parent's worst nightmare.

Possible accidental strangulation? Playing with an unsecured firearm? Asphyxiated in a small space while playing hide and seek? Maybe the poor girl was dead much longer than was reported missing? None of that would be pretty.

It's also possible something illegal was found when LE discovered the body. Maybe the parents or previous owners has drugs or CP or illegal weapons in the home. Not placing blame, just thinking aloud. Prayers to that family and community.

All MOO

Possible accidental strangulation? Playing with an unsecured firearm? Asphyxiated in a small space while playing hide and seek? Maybe the poor girl was dead much longer than was reported missing? None of that would be pretty.

It's also possible something illegal was found when LE discovered the body. Maybe the parents or previous owners has drugs or CP or illegal weapons in the home. Not placing blame, just thinking aloud. Prayers to that family and community.

All MOO

BBM

Oh dear! I never thought of an unsecured firearm, but that makes the most sense...The original article stating that a positive ID could take weeks, that the other child was not involved (and would need counseling), and that a regional major crimes task force was called in. I think that may be it. If so...well, I'd better just sit on my hands. :(

All MOO
Yes, I thought of all this but there's just no way to know at this point. Fire also seemed possible (matches or still burning cigarette) or poisoning, possibly with a household chemical or pharmaceutical.

ETA: I should add my thanks. I couldn't bring myself to type this until I read your comments.

I really don't think this case is being handled like your normal accident. I have seen many cases where a child gets access to a gun and shoots themselves. It's in the media the next day, and there is no secrecy over the COD. I feel like LE is not releasing the COD because:

-They don't know what it is yet/not positive
-They don't want the media getting involved
-LE has a feeling that the "visible" COD is just a coverup for the real COD

Major Crimes Unit

The King County Sheriff’s Office Major Crimes Unit is responsible for investigating crimes such as homicide, robbery, and felony assault. They also are responsible for investigating tips regarding “cold” homicide and missing persons cases.
The KCSO does not have a dedicated “CSI” unit. Instead, our Major Crimes Unit will process the crime scene with assistance from our AFIS unit and other KCSO units.

Detectives in the unit are nationally recognized in fields of homicide investigation and outdoor crime scene processing.

The unit includes 2 sergeants, 12 detectives, a polygraphist, and administrative support. MCU detectives are on call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to assist patrol officers, other detective units, and outside agencies with investigations. The unit works closely with federal, state and local agencies to resolve cases as quickly as possible.

:stop:

I know the lack of further information about this case is frustrating. But the discussion of grandparent SM and specifically her FB posts should stop now.

Not AllowedSocial media pages that fall in the following categories are OFF LIMITS.

Family members of either a victim or a suspect
Friends of either a victim or a suspect
Most any other individual

Don't link to these pages, nor make reference to information you find on them. Any exception must first be approved by an administrator or a moderator.

thank you.

:stop:

I know the lack of further information about this case is frustrating. But the discussion of grandparent SM and specifically her FB posts should stop now.

thank you.
Sorry tlcya!

no worries, we are all flusterated by this lack of closure. ;)

I still could find no update of cause of death or any statement by LE in this case.

Bumping for Aeries.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back