WA WA - Assistant U.S. Attorney Thomas Wales, 49, murdered, Seattle, 11 Oct 2001

I just found out about this case while researching Makarov semi-auto pistols. In the mid 90's, some 5-7 years before this I had a chance to buy a used one for ~$125. (The problem was that the caliber was 9x18mm specific to Russian designed guns and the ammo was almost impossible to find in the US. The 9x18 is slightly smaller than the far more common 9mm Parabellum and just slightly larger than the 9mm Kurz or .380. For this reason several different makes of conversion kits became available to convert the gun to .380.) Apparently from the bullets and spent shell casings at the scene the FBI found out the murder weapon was a Makarov converted to .380 and even identified the conversion kit manufacturer. They still failed to solve the case.

A hit in 2001 by such a gun is not surprising. In the 90's due to their very low cost, they were referred to our area as "Woodrow Wilson Specials" - a derogatory reference to the Woodrow Wilson Bridge in DC IOW, purchased very cheap, used once and then thrown off a bridge into the water.

Finding this gun is probably impossible if it was a hit as it has long been disposed of. LE is going to need a tip to find this killer.
He had to have told some

I just found out about this case while researching Makarov semi-auto pistols. In the mid 90's, some 5-7 years before this I had a chance to buy a used one for ~$125. (The problem was that the caliber was 9x18mm specific to Russian designed guns and the ammo was almost impossible to find in the US. The 9x18 is slightly smaller than the far more common 9mm Parabellum and just slightly larger than the 9mm Kurz or .380. For this reason several different makes of conversion kits became available to convert the gun to .380.) Apparently from the bullets and spent shell casings at the scene the FBI found out the murder weapon was a Makarov converted to .380 and even identified the conversion kit manufacturer. They still failed to solve the case.

A hit in 2001 by such a gun is not surprising. In the 90's due to their very low cost, they were referred to our area as "Woodrow Wilson Specials" - a derogatory reference to the Woodrow Wilson Bridge in DC IOW, purchased very cheap, used once and then thrown off a bridge into the water.

Finding this gun is probably impossible if it was a hit as it has long been disposed of. LE is going to need a tip to find this killer.
I just finished Episode 7, Season 1 of "Somebody, Somewhere". There is an interesting view on the weapon. If the killer used a Makarov with the original 9x18mm barrel it would have been very unique as the Makarov was about the only handgun that used that round. But because of the difficulty in finding 9x18mm ammo many converted their Makarov's to .380 - a MUCH more common round. The podcasters realize that given the large number of guns that use the .380 it is possible the actual gun could have been any one of other .380 handguns using a .380 replacement barrel.

Apparently, the FBI zeroed in on a Makarov with a particular brand of replacement barrel and we don't know how they did it. I suppose I could other marks - firing pin, extractor, etc. - being particular to a Makarov but we don't know for sure.

I just finished Episode 7, Season 1 of "Somebody, Somewhere". There is an interesting view on the weapon. If the killer used a Makarov with the original 9x18mm barrel it would have been very unique as the Makarov was about the only handgun that used that round. But because of the difficulty in finding 9x18mm ammo many converted their Makarov's to .380 - a MUCH more common round. The podcasters realize that given the large number of guns that use the .380 it is possible the actual gun could have been any one of other .380 handguns using a .380 replacement barrel.

Apparently, the FBI zeroed in on a Makarov with a particular brand of replacement barrel and we don't know how they did it. I suppose I could other marks - firing pin, extractor, etc. - being particular to a Makarov but we don't know for sure.
It was more of a antique gun he used and was not known to be exactly the most efficient murder weapon of choice. This explains why he used a powder for the bullets to prevent gun jamming. I listened to the 911 call of the guy who walked in own the bridal shop and came face to face with him and said along with the Uzi gun, droopy half asleep eyes and that he was a White Man he mentioned that he also had a strange nervous tick as he kept itching his face while talking with him.Not in a fast way but slow and calmly as if he had anxiety socially awkward issues. Mentioned the dull Red or sandy blonde hair and he was dressed in a rather dapper suit.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back