GUILTY WA - Bethany Storro charged in acid attack hoax, Vancouver, 2010

That's interesting that a witness confirms that Bethany's shirt was burned. The photos I've seen don't show any burning on her neck or chest. Maybe another area covered by a T-shirt? The only photo we've really seen of the injuries are of Bethany's face and neck. Possibly there are some burns to her shoulders.

The burning clothes were reported by both of the other victims.

I need to correct a detail in my post above. Derri Velarde of Mesa, AZ was attacked in the middle of the day in her carport. I stated that it was early morning. My apologies.

There have been three attacks. We have threads on each. The first occurred in Puyallup, WA on July 30th a little before 5 am and was well covered by the press in that area. FWIW, Bethany's brother lives not too far from Puyallup. The Puyallup attack occurred in a parking lot of an apt. complex when a black man approached a 23 year old woman (her race has not been reported as far as I know) and asked her for water for his car, as he was locked out of his home. She went to her apt. for the water and when she returned to the man, was attacked. She attempted to shoot him with a taser she was carrying but it failed to make contact. She was severely burned on her face and eyes.

Bethany's attack occurred on August 30th in the early evening, a short time after buying sunglasses. I believe that I posted upthread a comment about her feeling a divine calling from God to purchase the glasses for a week. When she received her first paycheck (presumably from the Washougal, WA Safeway), she purchased them in downtown Vancouver, WA. Less than an hour later, after walking in the area, she reached into her car, and was called to by the attacker, described as a "pretty black woman". It's never been made clear what Bethany was doing just prior to the attack.

The third attack occurred in Mesa, AZ on September 2nd, before 5 am. Once again, it occurred near a car. A woman pulled into her carport, exited her car, and was attacked. This attack was by a 20s-30s Hispanic woman. Police have said that the attack was not random, even though the victim did not recognize the attacker. The 911 call and an interview with that victim, Derri Velarde, has just been released and I will post that on the thread.

As far as I know, these are the only three attacks and the dates and details are as reported.

I find that claim that Jesus saved her eyes by making her to buy sunglasses a little peculiar. Wouldn't it be easier for Jesus to just prevent her from going to Starbucks at that particular time of day rather than somehow making her buy sunglasses and then have her wear them? If this was a random attack then her not showing up at 7 pm near the Starbucks (wearing glasses or not) would have prevented the injury alltogether.

jjenny--Contrary to a commonly held belief, I doubt any of us can know exactly what Jesus would have or could have done. I do agree, that it is either a miracle or extremely peculiar.

Vancouver PD ews conference live on Headline News now.

Police saying that they determined the burns were self-inflicted due to the splash pattern and that Ms. Storro has confirmed she did injure herself.

Homeless people in the area reported that they saw her get out of the car and she was not wearing sunglasses nor was she approached by anyone.

The big question now is WHY? What was so wrong in this woman's life for her to do something like this?

I am so mad about this I could scream! I live in Vancouver and have followed this from day one. It makes me so mad to think that I defended her, saying there is no way she did this to herself. Not to mention it put many people in our area, including myself on high alert thinking this could happen to one of us. What a joke this woman is!

Police saying that they determined the burns were self-inflicted due to the splash pattern and that Ms. Storro has confirmed she did injure herself.

Homeless people in the area reported that they saw her get out of the car and she was not wearing sunglasses nor was she approached by anyone.

Well I am not at all surprised. Jesus had somehow directed her buy sunglasses? How believable is that?

Well I am not at all surprised. Jesus had somehow directed her buy sunglasses? How believable is that?

It's quite believable, if you believe (i.e. consider yourself a Christian). While I find this woman's actions odd, I don't find it odd at all, that people would give Jesus, or God, the credit for actions that have saved them from harm. Not necessarily in this case, given the new information, but as a whole.

I'm sure if we took a poll here, there would be many people who feel they've received divine intervention, assistance, or guidance. I know I have.

OT: I saw an interesting bumper sticker yesterday: "God doesn't believe in athiests." Had to chuckle at that one.

I ws feeling like a cynic as I never bought her story but did not dare post...stories like this are why I am a bit cynical...

I hate that she brought race into it by blaming an African American, just what this country needs...I hope she faces charges and hospital bills and does not get free plastic surgery out of this...

It's quite believable, if you believe (i.e. consider yourself a Christian). While I find this woman's actions odd, I don't find it odd at all, that people would give Jesus, or God, the credit for actions that have saved them from harm.

I'm sure if we took a poll here, you'd find many people who feel they've received divine intervention, assistance, or guidance.

OT: I saw an interesting bumper sticker yesterday: "God doesn't believe in athiests." Had to chuckle at that one.

Well a lot of media talking heads certainly appeared so impressed with the Jesus story and how quickly she was able to "forgive her attacker." I guess it's pretty easy to forgive someone who doesn't exist.

Well a lot of media talking heads certainly appeared so impressed with the Jesus story and how quickly she was able to "forgive her attacker." I guess it's pretty easy to forgive someone who doesn't exist.

Without a doubt, this woman has some serious issues to deal with. I think we can all agree on that!

....and here I felt so guilty about posting my doubts here!

It never made sense.
Blaming a black person was so "Susan Smith" -- and that picture of the perp looked like Barack Obama. (Take a look -- that's the detail that made me doubt her, but I didn't mention it because I didn't want to come right out and call her a racist).

She's a racist piece of slime (and I'm being nice).

She wanted to "inspire" people? She'd better get her butt on national television and apologize to all of the "black people" who were hauled in by the Vancouver Police Department.

Grrrrrrrr:furious:

ETA:

I just read that the Vancouver Police Department is going to consider her "fragile state" in determining charges.
I'm sorry, she should NOT get away with this.
She put herself on national television, incited online racism (take a look!) and is now going to get off easy.

Thank you!

"I just got acid thrown in my face and now I want to inspire people and tell them about unicorns!" (See how silly that sounds?)

The big question now is WHY? What was so wrong in this woman's life for her to do something like this?

Why?

The same thing I speculated about last week: she saw herself as a Christian motivation speaker. Her mother leads a church, and who better to be a spokeswoman, than a poor little deaf "pretty girl" who had acid splashed in her face?

Think of all the money people spend, to hear "motivational speakers".

Why?

The same thing I speculated about last week: she saw herself as a Christian motivation speaker. Her mother leads a church, and who better to be a spokeswoman, than a poor little deaf "pretty girl" who had acid splashed in her face?

Think of all the money people spend, to hear "motivational speakers".

She also got a lot of media attention, was invited to be on Oprah, and I am pretty sure people were donating money on her behalf.

She got a lot of media attention, was invited to be on Oprah, and I am pretty sure people were donating money on her behalf.

Yes, they were.
Her mother helped publicize the fundraiser held near the "attack" site.
I don't know how much was raised, but it should be given back.

Ms Storro can go to work doing *anything*, to pay her own medical bills.
And she'd better apologize quickly to all who were harmed by her accusation, because real women were investigated by the police.

If anyone here doubts the impact of what she stirred up, read this:
Nicholas Stix.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curiouscanadian