WA - Candice “Candy” Rogers, 9, Spokane, 6 March 1959 *suspect died*

BBM
"It is reported that police were planning to submit the gum for DNA testing."

Did they submit the gum for DNA, if not why not?

Nice find. Is there any more info about Morse online?
I wonder what a FBI profiler would say about Morse attempting to molest the two young girls, if that is a sign he might later have been capable of murdering them so they could not ID him. Do they know for sure it was him? How do they know for sure? Could that be a mistake? Not all murdered are child molesters/child killers, kwim?

More info about the attempt on the two girls might help.

Still, a very good find! IMO. :)

No Morse was not a match to Candy. I believe the man suspected of killing Maria is the man who killed Candy 2 yrs later. Because Maria's body was not found until months later, there was no DNA to fit to the man they believed killed Maria. But since there IS DNA on Candy, they could at least get him on Candy if he did rape and murder her.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/man-acquitted-50-year-rape-case/story?id=16124382

Illinois Man Acquitted In 50 Year Old Rape Case, Faces Murder Charge

Video at link (you have to watch a short video it will reload and then show the second one---at least it did for me).

LE is working to see if the following cases are connected:
1. Andre'Anna Jackson
2. Kimberly DeLange
3. Misty Copesy
4. Teekah Lewis
5. Michella Welch
6. Jennifer Bastian
7. Anna Lee Chebetnoy (body located)
8. Shannon Pease (body located)

(Please excuse any misspellings of the above girls names, I was transcribing from video)

Here are threads I found for girls listed above:

1. Andre'Anna Jackson

2. None found for Kimberly DeLange (sometimes tags aren't on threads so it might be here and I just can't find it)

3. Misty Copesy

4. Teekah Lewis

5. Michella Welch---didn't find one, doesn't mean it is not here.

6. Jennifer Bastian
mentioned here in this thread.

7. Anna Lee Chebetnoy (dont' see an individual thread for her)

8. Shannon Pease (don't see an individual thread for her)

These posts were on the thread for Maria-I dont see Candy listed. It may be worth asking about. The above was from recent media after JM was acquitted of the rape of his half sister. I would think that his DNA is in the system now-it would be interesting to see if they still have the gum and can still get a sample.

Right After Maria, he was stationed in Seattle, a 6 hr drive from Spokane. I dont think that is too far a stretch. I sent this idea into LE here in Spokane since it is still their case.

Right After Maria, he was stationed in Seattle, a 6 hr drive from Spokane. I dont think that is too far a stretch. I sent this idea into LE here in Spokane since it is still their case.

I hope you're right.

I wonder if this case can be linked to that of a little girl killed in PA in the 50s. I forget the killer 's name, but he is currently doing time for her murder. This guy was a drifter, worked at carnivals and that is where he murdered the little girl in Pa.

I wonder if this case can be linked to that of a little girl killed in PA in the 50s. I forget the killer 's name, but he is currently doing time for her murder. This guy was a drifter, worked at carnivals and that is where he murdered the little girl in Pa.

The guy, you mean is probably William "Freight Train" Guatney. Different signature though. He beat and stomped his victims to death.

I am currently a little busy with a number of other cases, but just some thoughts to maybe restart this case:

1.) It is not that unusual that SKs cross paths, often without knowing it. Kathy Devine was counted on Bundy till they found out by DNA, it was Cosden.
However, not always those SKs are really unaware of each other. Alcala for example lived in the same area as the Hillside Stranglers and he had a very clear picture of what was going on. He staged one of his own victims around the same foothill as kind of a apply to join the club (Jill Barcombe). So, if you have two in an area and they are aware of each other, the dynamic can be pretty nasty.

2.) Forget Morse for the murder of Candy. Makes no sense, whatsoever. Morse had a wide spread age bracket in the victimology, that disqualifies him as preferential pedophile. DNA cleared him anyway. However, that doesn't exclude another offender, who was aware of Morse's murders. his presence in the area, and knew about the chewing gum.

3.) I would prefer an approach of profiling. Lets look at the crime, lets gather, what we know about the victim and profile from there without blocking our brains with suspects who became mostly suspects because of rumors and without too much evidence. When we have a profile, we can still look, who fits the bill.
So, what hard facts do we have? As I said, I lack time, so I can't gather all of it from the scratch. Also, who is in the area and knows the surroundings?

4.) To get this case bumped up, maybe someone can ask Tricia to make it the next Hot Cold Case?

Peter

No. I saw it on a website I didn't bother to bookmark. I do know this guy was the suspect in the killing of another little girl in detroit

I've been trying to find this case with just the first name, Candy, in Spokane but could never find it. I was one year old in Spokane when this murder happened. It was the first time I knew that terrible things could happen. I heard about it growing up, and this is the case that sparked my lifelong obsession with deviant psychology and finally my love and support for crime victims and their friends and family. I was so afraid to go door-to-door selling Girl Scout cookies because of this case, that I just sat on a curb somewhere and went home and said I didn't sell any. Probably a smart move on my part, considering. This thread is the first photograph of Candy, I've ever seen, and I'm so glad to see it.

When my first daughter was one year old, we had the horrific murder of Nanette Martin. I was researching that tonight when I saw the references to Candy Rogers and learned there was a thread here!

I'm saddened there has still been no resolution to Candy's case but excited to know a usable DNA sample was collected. I'm sorry it didn't match the suspect they had hoped for, but, still, there IS hope. I've wanted to see justice for her my entire life.

After Nanette Martin, it was the South Hill rapist and Kevin Coe. I lived on the South Hill during his time, and I was terrified. Once driving up the hill as I rounded a curve, a chalked outline of a person was drawn right in the road reading, "Woman raped by South Hill rapist here." I almost wrecked the car. His mother was in my father's Interior Design class after she tried to have her son's Prosecutor murdered. My dad said she was nice, the dingbat. It was nothing to read in the paper that another prostitute had been murdered on Sprague street.

I left Spokane not long after, and God forgive me, but Spokane will always remind me of rape and murder. I will never live my life without caution. It's sad, but that's a good thing.

I hope I live to see justice for Candy Rogers, and with the DNA, that might just happen!!

Wondering if anybody knows more about the murder of Krisann Baxter in Spokane 1978. From what I can find it looks like it was put on Henry Lee Lucas. But that guy was a huge liar & it seems every dept in the country was trying to pin every unsolved murder on him. She was dumped right by my house so the case really intrigues me.

" I would never have been surprised to find out Jim would have done something real bad. In March of 1959 nine year old Candy Rogers was kidnaped, molested and strangled. We were convinced Jim had something to do with it. In 2001 they were able to get some DNA from the evidence found at the scene. The Spokane Police were looking for anyone that might have information. I called with no response. Kathy who was Jim’s biological daughter called and was just shrugged off. Kathy had some very good information for them and had Jim’s DNA. I will never understand why they wouldn’t listen to her. My mother also believed Jim was guilty but was thankful they didn’t want to talk to Kathy. She was worried it would be a media circus and didn’t want to face it. To this day I truly believe Jim Gobin killed Candy Rogers.*

found this in the comments below an article about the case. Here is the link

http://kidnappingmurderandmayhem.blogspot.com/2012/05/who-murdered-camp-fire-girl.html

Candy Rogers, 9, murdered 6 March 1959

candy-rogers-jpg.798

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pechi_eupa