WA WA - Delmar Wayne Sample, 52, Centralia, 4 Mar 2005

Originally posted by Lucky1:
Same thing happened to me when I called about Dennis Kunkel. Acted totally surprised that someone was calling about it, didn't know what to do with it, and it didn't go anywhere even though I called every number of every person I could find on his case.

Makes you wonder how they ever solve old missing persons cases.

The husband dislikes how much time I spend "on a serial killer". Thinks I could be spending my time in a more positive, productive manner
Received a call from an officer from Lewis County Sheriff's office....he wasn't at all familiar with the case. When I explained my suspicions he said, wasn't IK further north than here?
I explained that IK traveled around and that is exactly why the FBI released their timeline, and that I would be surprised, although not certain, if they hadn't already identified Delmar as a potential victim at least worth looking at.

The officer asked me if I would be available tomorrow to speak with the detective involved with Delmar's case so I could pass long my information.

I asked if it would make sense for me to simply email them with my observations as I had no special personal information, but he said it would be best for me to speak to the detective.

(O.K. so now my family is calling me Deputy Dawg, as I had to tell them to expect a call from the sheriff's office. Sheesh, this gives them a whole new pile of ammunition to tease me!!)

To be continued....

Lucky1 & Snoopster, hope y'all know that the first order of business of many rural LEAs is to run background checks on folks that show unusual interest in missing person's investigations. Guess, they've been watching too many Criminal Minds episodes, huh?

While backtracking & researching a GA/multi state serial killer back in 2008. I had called in tips to my local & state LEAs. One morning I went to run some errands & unexpectedly received a call from my spouse who was kinda frantic, LOL. Seems, 3 carloads of of Good Ole Boys/welcome wagon, were sitting in the driveway of my home.. I reported to the Sheriff's office where two detectives interrogated me using the good cop, bad cop routine. Just smiled at them..
Had to get my attorney involved... :truce:

I was the one talking about cemeteries. I should have phrased it better, but I didn't mean he specifically mentioned stalking in that particular cemetery. Sorry to scare you mookmook. I only meant that he liked cemeteries, and that appeared to be a big one, near the interstate, and close to the gas stations at I-5 and Harrison Ave where IIRC Delmar was supposed to have gotten gas. Thanks for the info that you cannot see the gas stations from the cemetery, mookmook. I suspected that but wasn't sure. I just looked at the map of potential gas stations Delmar could have used and noticed the cemetery. IK liked cemeteries, mentioned using them as hunting grounds:

http://www.fbi.gov/portland/press-r...istance-in-case-of-serial-killer-israel-keyes

Investigators believe Keyes did not know any of his victims prior to their abductions. He described several remote locations that he frequented to look for victims—parks, campgrounds, trailheads, cemeteries

He even mentioned a cemetery in his suicide note:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9801089&postcount=2

Back in your ride, the night is still young, streetlights push back the black I neat rows. Off to the right a graveyard appears, lines of stones, bodies molder below.

He also admitted to spending time at the Post Oak Cemetery in Texas:
http://www.fbi.gov/houston/press-releases/2013/serial-killer-spent-time-in-texas

Keyes is also suspected of visiting the Post Oak Cemetery in the Glen Rose, Texas area between February 12 and 16, 2012.

Cemeteries have become a hallmark I look for when searching missing cases in regard to IK.

Originally Posted by mookmook:
If he met a stranger somewhere while traveling or hiking, he would not be at all suspicious of them. If someone were to flag him down by a roadside, he would stop and help. If someone asked him for a ride somewhere, he would have given it.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid this is how Delmar would have met IK. This is how he tried to intercept us on a hiking trail. Stopped us and tried to start a conversation.....

Lucky1 & Snoopster, hope y'all know that the first order of business of many rural LEAs is to run background checks on folks that show unusual interest in missing person's investigations. Guess, they've been watching too many Criminal Minds episodes, huh?

While backtracking & researching a GA/multi state serial killer back in 2008. I had called in tips to my local & state LEAs. One morning I went to run some errands & unexpectedly received a call from my spouse who was kinda frantic, LOL. Seems, 3 carloads of of Good Ole Boys/welcome wagon, were sitting in the driveway of my home.. I reported to the Sheriff's office where two detectives interrogated me using the good cop, bad cop routine. Just smiled at them..
Had to get my attorney involved... :truce:

O/T, but -- Gosh, thanks a lot, Foxfire, for confirming my fears and probably setting my sleuthing career waa-aay back. LOL, just kidding, but -- I do worry about this!!

I was the one talking about cemeteries. I should have phrased it better, but I didn't mean he specifically mentioned stalking in that particular cemetery. Sorry to scare you mookmook. I only meant that he liked cemeteries, and that appeared to be a big one, near the interstate, and close to the gas stations at I-5 and Harrison Ave where IIRC Delmar was supposed to have gotten gas. Thanks for the info that you cannot see the gas stations from the cemetery, mookmook. I suspected that but wasn't sure. I just looked at the map of potential gas stations Delmar could have used and noticed the cemetery. IK liked cemeteries, mentioned using them as hunting grounds:

http://www.fbi.gov/portland/press-r...istance-in-case-of-serial-killer-israel-keyes

He even mentioned a cemetery in his suicide note:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9801089&postcount=2

He also admitted to spending time at the Post Oak Cemetery in Texas:
http://www.fbi.gov/houston/press-releases/2013/serial-killer-spent-time-in-texas

Cemeteries have become a hallmark I look for when searching missing cases in regard to IK.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid this is how Delmar would have met IK. This is how he tried to intercept us on a hiking trail. Stopped us and tried to start a conversation.....

Lucky 1, just before I ran across this post of yours, I had just posted in the IK general discussion thread that maybe we ought to be looking at persons who went missing from or around cemeteries. So glad to see you are already on that and have been for a while!

I was a coworker of Del's when he went missing. Let me tell you, it is a horrible feeling for someone to disappear and leave so many unanswered questions. The thing about Del was he was very reliable. When he didn't show up for work on Monday, I think it was, I was immediately suspicious that something bad had happened. I felt this way within 15 minutes of him not showing up. The police, of course, would not let us file a missing persons report for 24 hours. He had the weekend before this off so he could have gone missing any time during that weekend.

Also, Del was a very kind person, who would give anything to anyone that needed it. He once told me that he would give me his house if he felt like I needed it more than he did, and I truly believe that he would have done so. If he met a stranger somewhere while traveling or hiking, he would not be at all suspicious of them. If someone were to flag him down by a roadside, he would stop and help. If someone asked him for a ride somewhere, he would have given it.

I recently read about Israel Keyes online in the news. After reading about his whereabouts and particularly, being located in the Olympic Peninsula, I feel like we may have found the answer. Del's truck was found by Lake Quinalt which is at the southwestern corner of the Olympic National Forest. No evidence was ever found near his vehicle. However, he had told us he was going to Tillamook, which is south ... in Oregon. He was single though and there was no reason that he couldn't just change his mind and go elsewhere. I am not sure why he would drive from his home in Onalaska, WA all the way to Centralia, WA to get gas. Not because it's cheaper, he was a pharmacist, they make good money. So he either changed his mind and decided to go north, or he had some errand to run in the Centralia area before heading out.

I am extremely curious to know where the information about IK staking about Mtn View Cemetery in Centralia is coming from. The reason is, I live right next to this cemetery and have since 1998 and since that time have always taken walks through this cemetery with my family or on my own. Now obviously, this serial killer is no longer staking out the place, but wow this makes me feel really weird. I would like to state that the cemetery is about 2 blocks from the gas station, with several buildings in between and you cannot see people at the gas station when you are in the cemetery. Many of the residential streets near the cemetery have no sidewalks, so many people walk through the cemetery as a method of commuting, particularly children going to the middle school behind Safeway.

Unfortunately, since IK managed to do himself in, we will probably never have an answer. The Olympic Peninsula is an enormous place with many lakes and rivers. It sounds like he had a method of disposing bodies into bodies of water and pretty much making them disappear over time.

Great post mookmook. Welcome.

There is so little information on Delmar so it's great you were able to give us some more information about him, he really sounds like a great guy and that he has a kind spirit and I sure hope he did not come across IK and that he just wanted a fresh start or something and took off.

It's strange that his car was left in the opposite direction of where he was supposedly headed, and that his bike was missing.

Is anyone still searching for Delmar, family, friends? Does he have any relatives or friends out of state he may have traveled to visit?

He just vanished, or was vanished by someone. Why? :(

Bumping Delmar's thread! Snoopster, have you heard back at all from LE who was working his case?

Great post mookmook. Welcome.

There is so little information on Delmar so it's great you were able to give us some more information about him, he really sounds like a great guy and that he has a kind spirit and I sure hope he did not come across IK and that he just wanted a fresh start or something and took off.

It's strange that his car was left in the opposite direction of where he was supposedly headed, and that his bike was missing.

Is anyone still searching for Delmar, family, friends? Does he have any relatives or friends out of state he may have traveled to visit?

He just vanished, or was vanished by someone. Why? :(

Bumping Delmar's thread! Snoopster, have you heard back at all from LE who was working his case?

No, never heard back. That's not totally surprising though, as I basically told them I didn't have much in the way of specifics, but rather just saying they should look at a possible connection due to the circumstances.

I did connect with someone via email that knew and loved Delmar though. This person hadn't been in close contact with Delmar in the several years leading up to his disappearance though.

My contact said he was loved and they think about him everyday....hoping that the case will one day be solved. They hadn't really been aware of the possible IK connection, but once they read up on it after our first email exchange, they agreed that it was a distinct possibility. Delmar's parents both passed away subsequent to his disappearance, never knowing what happened to him.

My contact said they will likely check out Delmar's thread here on WS, and were thrilled that the people on here cared about finding out what happened to him, but I'm not sure if they will post anything.

I hadn't checked for new info about Delmar in the past while...and just found this info, belatedly....

an article from Dec 31, 2014:

Keyes had told investigators in Alaska that he killed four people in Washington, including a couple in the state, between 2001 and 2005.

None of Keyes’ victims appears to have lived in Clallam or Jefferson counties, Clallam County Undersheriff Ron Peregrin and Jefferson County Sheriff’s Detective Brett Anglin said Tuesday.

Anglin said the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a report of a missing person, Delmar Sample, 53, of Onalaska, who was last seen in the Lake Quinault area in March 2005.

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20140101/news/301019987/fbi-gets-about-100-phone-calls-on-serial-murderer-no-ties-to

but...then there was this article from April 6, 2014:

The FBI has crossed Delmar Sample off its list of potential victims of serial killer Israel Keyes, who lived in Neah Bay on the Makah reservation from 2001 to 2007.

“It was cleared, initially,” Riordan said. “The Seattle [FBI] office wanted to make sure they ran everything down,” he said.

“They believe they've got this end tied up. They're saying he couldn't have done it.

“Nothing is ever 100 percent, but we definitely believe it's close to 99.9 percent.”

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20140406/NEWS/304069990/fbi-no-link-between-missing-man-serial-killer-israel-keyes

I'm glad that the FBI took this possible link so seriously. They must have an idea of where IK was during the period when Delmar went missing.

Where are you Delmar??

I hadn't checked for new info about Delmar in the past while...and just found this info, belatedly....

an article from Dec 31, 2014:

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20140101/news/301019987/fbi-gets-about-100-phone-calls-on-serial-murderer-no-ties-to

but...then there was this article from April 6, 2014:

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20140406/NEWS/304069990/fbi-no-link-between-missing-man-serial-killer-israel-keyes

I'm glad that the FBI took this possible link so seriously. They must have an idea of where IK was during the period when Delmar went missing.

Where are you Delmar??

Too late for me to edit my post....but of course the first article was from Dec 31 2013, not 2014!
:blushing:

First of all I want to thank everyone here for all the information you gathered. It was far more detailed than the bare bones Missing's Persons report I found online.

So where to start, first of all I knew Dell for a brief period of time while younger(probably 12-14) and I am now 26 almost 27. My connection to Dell was brought about by my mom almost dating him. We would go and visit his house on occasions, and he even was nice enough to take us on hikes once or twice. I even remember having a birthday party at his house where I got the Chrome Kawasaki BMX bike I asked my mom for. He was normally really nice person, I only got on his nerves so bad once that he firmly grabbed me by the arm and gave me a stern talking to. Which I probably needed, cause at this point in my life I believe my father was still alive but my mother had the majority of custody.

So anyways around the time of Dells mysterious disappearance a new dude came into my mothers life. This guy I can't remember every seeing him before this point in my life. And the strange thing was he even took me and my mom to Lake Quinault Resort to help look for him. We walked around the town a little bit and even walked the trails near where they found his truck. Don or my mother mentioned that they said he didn't bring his GPS like he normally would when on a hike.

So Don was an interesting character, very conservative and from what I could tell spent a lot of his free time alone. He once told me he did a stint in a mental hospital after smoking some laced Marijuana. Don't know many more details besides that, think it was in his childhood. So why do I think it could of been Donald Haerling, towards the end of his marriage to my mother they were at the beach. And when my mom came home she told me he threw a log at her from up on the rocks while she was down at the beach front. The location I didn't ask, she simply said she had a big bruise on her leg from the incident. And of course my immediate reaction was this sick ****er tried to kill my mom at the beach. We didn't really talk about it after this point in time.

Don came into my mothers life in a flash. Think they got married after knowing each other for about 3 months time. Despite the protest of each of my siblings and I. Even the church pastor refused to marry them due to their history of divorce.

Could my mother have been involved? Recently when asking her for details she said he went missing near Staircase, but her memory isn't as good as mine. However that is the opposite side of Olympic National Forest.

Anyways I am probably forgetting something, and plan on calling the detective shortly. But don't have my phone handy presently.
I hope this can give others closure on the matter.

On the lighter side, I once crawled inside Dells hide-a-bed couch and was able to hide there with the pull out bed retracted. We may have scared my mom a few times by hiding in the strangest of places. And I distinctly remember using the bird seed he had and the garage door to his house to trap a couple birds. He was a fan of bird watching and had an awesome clock that chirped different bird noises at the top of each hour. The blue Jay I caught was smart enough to hide from me in the rafters. Maybe it was his coin collection that got me interested in the hobby myself? I really enjoyed the hammock he had at his house, and even got to shoot a crossbow for the first time there. But I think one of us broke it eventually :(

I never got to use it but this stud had an indoor floor level Jacuzzi tub, think it was always dry when I was there.
*Me riding Dell's lawnmower at his house in Onalaska*
attachment.php

Attachments

• MeAtDells.jpg
    MeAtDells.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 26
First of all I want to thank everyone here for all the information you gathered. It was far more detailed than the bare bones Missing's Persons report I found online.

So where to start, first of all I knew Dell for a brief period of time while younger(probably 12-14) and I am now 26 almost 27. My connection to Dell was brought about by my mom almost dating him. We would go and visit his house on occasions, and he even was nice enough to take us on hikes once or twice. I even remember having a birthday party at his house where I got the Chrome Kawasaki BMX bike I asked my mom for. He was normally really nice person, I only got on his nerves so bad once that he firmly grabbed me by the arm and gave me a stern talking to. Which I probably needed, cause at this point in my life I believe my father was still alive but my mother had the majority of custody.

So anyways around the time of Dells mysterious disappearance a new dude came into my mothers life. This guy I can't remember every seeing him before this point in my life. And the strange thing was he even took me and my mom to Lake Quinault Resort to help look for him. We walked around the town a little bit and even walked the trails near where they found his truck. Don or my mother mentioned that they said he didn't bring his GPS like he normally would when on a hike.

So Don was an interesting character, very conservative and from what I could tell spent a lot of his free time alone. He once told me he did a stint in a mental hospital after smoking some laced Marijuana. Don't know many more details besides that, think it was in his childhood. So why do I think it could of been Donald Haerling, towards the end of his marriage to my mother they were at the beach. And when my mom came home she told me he threw a log at her from up on the rocks while she was down at the beach front. The location I didn't ask, she simply said she had a big bruise on her leg from the incident. And of course my immediate reaction was this sick ****er tried to kill my mom at the beach. We didn't really talk about it after this point in time.

Don came into my mothers life in a flash. Think they got married after knowing each other for about 3 months time. Despite the protest of each of my siblings and I. Even the church pastor refused to marry them due to their history of divorce.

Could my mother have been involved? Recently when asking her for details she said he went missing near Staircase, but her memory isn't as good as mine. However that is the opposite side of Olympic National Forest.

Anyways I am probably forgetting something, and plan on calling the detective shortly. But don't have my phone handy presently.

On the lighter side, I once crawled inside Dells hide-a-bed couch and was able to hide there with the pull out bed retracted. We may have scared my mom a few times by hiding in the strangest of places. And I distinctly remember using the bird seed he had and the garage door to his house to trap a couple birds. He was a fan of bird watching and had an awesome clock that chirped different bird noises at the top of each hour. The blue Jay I caught was smart enough to hide from me in the rafters. Maybe it was his coin collection that got me interested in the hobby myself? I really enjoyed the hammock he had at his house, and even got to shoot a crossbow for the first time there. But I think one of us broke it eventually :(

I never got to use it but this stud had an indoor floor level Jacuzzi tub, think it was always dry when I was there.
*Me riding Dell's lawnmower at his house in Onalaska*
attachment.php

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time following your post. Are you saying that "Don" and your mom may have had something to do with Delmar's disappearance?

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time following your post. Are you saying that "Don" and your mom may have had something to do with Delmar's disappearance?
It's been a year and a half since N8dogg's post, but I sure wish he'd return to WS & respond to your inquiry, BethAnn777. His recollection made me wonder if his mom's husband was in the picture "in a flash" because he made Del disappear. The "Don" he mentioned is still living in the same Lewis County area and remarried according to social media.

There are so many missing people, but I've got a soft spot for Delmar. S ounded like a straight up, everyday guy. Because he didn't have an immediate family he disappeared, yet didn't have that many people searching for him. His ex cared. Bless her.

Snoopster, I share your soft spot for Del. Wish I'd known him better.

I see that you've joined just recently "Penny". Welcome to Websleuths!

And thanks for looking out for the missing folks in Washington State. I'm a long way from there, but there is nothing more effective than getting locals involved.

[QUOTE="n8dogg So why do I think it could of been Donald Haerling, towards the end of his marriage to my mother they were at the beach. And when my mom came home she told me he threw a log at her from up on the rocks while she was down at the beach front. The location I didn't ask, she simply said she had a big bruise on her leg from the incident. And of course my immediate reaction was this sick ****er tried to kill my mom at the beach. We didn't really talk about it after this point in time.

[/QUOTE]
RSBM

** @n8dogg did you make that call? come back and fill us in! **
Bumping for THIS GUY -----> upload_2019-1-9_18-37-52.jpeg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members