WA WA - Esmeralda “Kit” Mora, 17, non-binary, Omak, Nov 2021

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
Esmeralda “Kit” Mora, 17, has been missing since April 15, according to the Washington State Patrol list released Monday. But according to the Finding Kit Facebook group, Kit hasn’t been seen since November 2021.

Missing Omak teen with ties to Yakima added to Washington State Patrol's list of active cases of missing Indigenous people
Born female, Kit is described on the Facebook page as a non-binary person whom a relative said lived in the Yakima area for years, attending East Valley schools before moving to Omak. The State Patrol missing person flyer has the Omak Police Department, 509-826-0383, as the contact for anyone with information concerning Kit’s whereabouts.

Gathered under a picnic shelter Saturday at Moxee Park, family and friends shared memories of Esmeralda “Kit” Mora, 17, an Indigenous teen who is missing from Omak.

“It didn’t matter what it was, Kit loved art and loved to draw,” said Charlotte Groo, Kit’s sister and an organizer of the weekend vigil.

Kit’s skill can be seen in a collection of detailed drawings of animals and fantasy creatures posted to the missing teen’s Facebook page.

Groo described Kit as artistic, creative, optimistic and quiet, “but Kit would say something when it needed to be said.”

Kit, who is nonbinary and Indigenous, is missing from Omak but lived in the Yakima area for years, attending East Valley schools before moving to Omak.

Friends Amythist McCarty and Kayla Shelton met Kit, who uses the pronoun they, at school in Yakima.

“They were my first friend when I moved to Yakima in fourth grade,” Shelton said at the vigil.

“They were my first friend, too,” McCarty chimed in, adding that the friends never argued. “That’s because they’re so sweet.”

Friends and family also described Kit as a strong student, helping others with homework and getting good grades.

“They liked (school), and they were good at it, too,” McCarty said.

After Kit moved to Omak, friends stayed in touch by sending messages and talking, sometimes for hours, over the phone.

“It’s surreal,” McCarty said. “It doesn’t feel like they’re a missing person, it feels like they’ll pick up the phone and call me any second.”

Kit was added to the State Patrol’s most recent list of active cases of missing Indigenous people, and has been missing since April 15, according to the list, but family says Kit hasn’t been seen since November 2021.

OMAK - $10,000 is now on the table for anyone with the tip that leads authorities to the whereabouts of a missing Omak teen.

Gone since November 2021, Esmerelda "Kit" Mora was 16 when she vanished.

Kit's sister, Charlotte Elizabeth Groo has been relentless in her pursuit of her sibling in hopes of returning her to a safe environment with her adoptive parents.

Groo says Kit disappeared when she decided she wanted to try living with her troubled mother who has a history of drug abuse and crime. At that time, Groo says Kit thought her mother was reformed, but believes that wasn't the case. Groo says she's convinced that Kit's biological mother had something to do with her sister's disappearance.

Groo believes her sister is still alive, which is why Groo's father, who is Kit's adoptive father, has put up a reward of $10,000 to anyone with information that leads them to Kit's whereabouts. The money offer is good to anyone with info that results in the finding of Kit's body or her safe return.

If you have information, please contact Detective Bowling with Omak Police at 509-557-5405 or Omak Police at 509-826-0383. The reward will be issued to one person once all information is verified and leads to the discovery of Kit.

Kit is now 18 years old, is 5'2" to 5'5", weighs 140 lbs., has brown hair and brown eyes; has a small scar under left eye and has moles on her face.

1686668867453.png

1707916508990.jpeg
No one was looking for Kit Nelson-Mora, despite warning signs, until a friend contacted police over a year after their disappearance in Omak
She then went to the Omak Police Department and spotted some officers chatting outside the pale brick building. McCart asked if they’d heard anything about Kit. They said they’d check.
1707916646147.jpeg
Kit Nelson-Mora sells furniture at their mom’s thrift store, The Storehouse Merchantile, in Omak, Wash. in the summer of 2021.

“She says that Kit has been missing since April,” McCart recalls the officer saying.

McCart froze. She’d speculated that Kit had been depressed, maybe suicidal — but missing? How could Kit be missing for five whole months, without any of their friends or other relatives knowing? Was there a missing persons report? Was anyone looking for them?

Last edited:
Came here to post that article, I'm so glad it's already been posted. As a queer person this one hits so hard for me, how even Kit's non-abusive family members still won't use the right pronoun, how their friends weren't able to get anyone to really look for them because the friends are 'just' teenage girls. The pictures in the dress with the pigtails. Something is so wrong here. I so hope Kit just decided to up and move somewhere more accepting....

IMG_8855.jpeg

this has some more information of the circumstances, Kit was a friend of a friend, and growing up LGBT in that area was very difficult.

I hope this case is resolved, Kit’s sibling runs the facebook page “Finding Kit” and it provides any updates possible on the case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MambeuX
Back