WA Wa - Giovanna Katie Tyler, 29, Tacoma, 28 Mar 2004

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
Thumbnail

Missing Person / NamUs #MP4305
Giovanna Katie Tyler
Female, Native American / Alaskan Native
Date of Last Contact March 28, 2004
Missing From Tacoma, Washington
Missing Age 29 Years
Current Age 43 Years

Height 5' 9" - 5' 10" (69 - 70 Inches)
Weight 130 - 170 lbs

Brown Hair
Brow Eyes
Wears Glasses

Tattoo of a dragon on her left arm

Clothing
Gray hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans

Circumstances of Disappearance
Tyler was last seen at her home in the 2000 block of East Gregory Street in the City of Tacoma the last week of March, 2004.
Circumstance Notes
Cold Case Unit

Missing Person Case

Last edited:
I wonder if she is the Lake Tapps Doe that was found in a trailer and may be associated with Israel Keyes. Photos of the three rings that Doe had on have just been released - did Giovanna have any regular jewelry that she wore?

I wonder if she is the Lake Tapps Doe that was found in a trailer and may be associated with Israel Keyes. Photos of the three rings that Doe had on have just been released - did Giovanna have any regular jewelry that she wore?
Interesting. I'm currently trying to match Keyes' travels with people who went missing. Of course, he lived in WA at the time of Giovanna's disappearance. Weird coincidence, I saw that her husband (who she had a "stormy" relationship with) actually moved to Neah Bay, WA with their 4 kids, after she disappeared. Keyes lived in Neah Bay from 2001-2007, and from what I can tell they only had roughly 800 people living there at the 2010 census (so, likely even less in 2004). I see from the county that they got married in (Clallam) back in 1993, that they must have been from that area, originally. I'm not sure if the husband could have possibly known Keyes; I doubt someone as calculated as him would have conspired with anyone, but I wonder if he knew the couple. I imagine, if he didn't, he probably made a point to get close to the husband, knowing his fascination with missing people.

Interesting. I'm currently trying to match Keyes' travels with people who went missing. Of course, he lived in WA at the time of Giovanna's disappearance. Weird coincidence, I saw that her husband (who she had a "stormy" relationship with) actually moved to Neah Bay, WA with their 4 kids, after she disappeared. Keyes lived in Neah Bay from 2001-2007, and from what I can tell they only had roughly 800 people living there at the 2010 census (so, likely even less in 2004). I see from the county that they got married in (Clallam) back in 1993, that they must have been from that area, originally. I'm not sure if the husband could have possibly known Keyes; I doubt someone as calculated as him would have conspired with anyone, but I wonder if he knew the couple. I imagine, if he didn't, he probably made a point to get close to the husband, knowing his fascination with missing people.
There’s a much crazier, and confirmed, Keyes “coincidence” in this case.

Giovanna and/or her husband were connected to Neah Bay before she went missing too, and Keyes and Giovanna actually did overnighters in the Neah Bay jail the same night - I think, but am not 100%, that it was within a couple months of when she disappeared.

Keyes was in the drunk tank, Giovanna might have been too but I can’t remember for sure why she was there.

Source for this is the TCBS podcast, I’ll try to figure out exactly which episode. Maybe s3e5.

In any case, for what it’s worth I think it’s almost certain that the Lake Tapps doe is a Keyes victim, there’s a 50/50 chance that Giovanna is too, but Giovanna may or may not be the doe - they could be entirely separate victims.

Geographically and logistically, Giovanna makes perfect sense as the doe if Keyes is responsible, but timing-wise it’s iffy. According to the podcast it’s possible that the doe was dumped at Tapps Lake as early as 04, but the most likely timeframe is later than that. That’s in a different episode, I’ll try to find that too.

Update: I was right about the TCBS episode, it was s3e5.

I was a little off on the details, Keyes and Giovanna were both at the police station that night but neither were locked up, which makes it even more likely they were in the same room at the same time.

It was on 2/29/04, a month before she disappeared.

The episode also lays out how it is pretty likely that Keyes and Giovanna knew each other to some degree prior to that. Definitely worth checking out.

I’ll look for the Lake Tapps doe episode later.

Update: I was right about the TCBS episode, it was s3e5.

I was a little off on the details, Keyes and Giovanna were both at the police station that night but neither were locked up, which makes it even more likely they were in the same room at the same time.

It was on 2/29/04, a month before she disappeared.

The episode also lays out how it is pretty likely that Keyes and Giovanna knew each other to some degree prior to that. Definitely worth checking out.

I’ll look for the Lake Tapps doe episode later.
I'm going to have to relisten. I listened to it a couple years back, but forgot many of the details. Thanks for sharing!

I'm going to have to relisten. I listened to it a couple years back, but forgot many of the details. Thanks for sharing!
For sure. If you’re trying to match cases, if you haven’t already check out their updated timeline (as of 5/23).

They expanded their old one like five fold and included dates for potential victims, some of which have never been discussed on the podcast, it’s wild.

Israel Keyes Timeline

There’s also a thread on the timeline in the Keyes specific forum on here, probably best to slide the Keyes discussion over there so we don’t get too off topic in this thread.

The TCBS episode that discusses the Lake Tapps doe and the possibility it is Giovanna is s3e8.

The segment starts around 15min into it, but it’s worth listening to the few minutes before that if you want to hear about the process they used for their determinations.

Again I was a little off on the details above, Giovanna DID disappear during the window when they believe the doe was most likely dumped there, just at the very early end of it.

They also make a stronger case than I remembered for Giovanna actually being the doe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PRJ
Back