WA WA - Heather Higgins, 39, Spokane, 20-Sep-2010

Updated FEB 10, 2020
KHQ Investigates: Spokane serial killer in the making? | News | khq.com
One woman is missing, another was found dismembered, and a third was sexually assaulted and left for dead. New documents reveal detectives believe the same man was connected to each case. ...

[...]

A name quickly surfaced from witnesses. They said Heather got a ride from him the day she disappeared.

Police records obtained by KHQ's Hayley Guenthner show the man's name came up repeatedly as detectives investigated Heather's case. Police records show a passerby found a large knife and an ID of Heather's just a few blocks from where the man was living. Records also show a witness told detectives the man told her he "did something really bad." The witness said the man also said he didn't kill Heather, but "disposed of (her) body by putting her in a sleeping bag." He allegedly dumped her body near a ski resort "up north," according to the witness.

[...]

Kala's dismembered body was found stuffed in trash bags and a sleeping bag shortly after she disappeared in 2012. Police records show the same man they believe was involved in Heather's case, was detective's top suspect in Kala's.

[...]

Documents show a detective pushed to the get the man charged for Kala's death. He wrote a charging request complete with an affidavit of facts for prosecutors to review, claiming DNA tied the man to items found with her remains. The case still had a huge hurdle.

"She was murdered," family said of Kala. "Brutally murdered."

At least one expert doesn't appear to agree. One of Spokane County's Medical Examiner's, Dr. John Howard, lists Kala's death as undetermined.

[...]

KHQ reached out to SPD and the prosecutor's office. Both refused to comment as this is a very active case. Prosecutors said they continue to review the file.

FEB 10, 2020
"How can dumping a murdered body be a misdemeanor?": Spokane families work to change state law | News | khq.com
It's a crime that can leave those left behind haunted for the remainder of the lives but is nothing more than a 'slap on the wrist' for whoever is responsible. Right now in Washington state, the improper disposal of human remains is a misdemeanor. That means if someone is found dumping a body, they may not serve any jail time.

[...]

"We at least know this, why can't he at least be charged with dumping her body? And [the official] said, 'it's just a misdemeanor,'" Jackie said. "I can't believe it. Dumping a murdered body is just a misdemeanor. That has to be fixed."

Because of an attorney named Cheryl Mitchel, maybe it will be.

"I was really surprised (when I heard disposing of human remains was just a misdemeanor,) and I thought I had to look this up," she said.

Cheryl has been an attorney for 35 years and a friend of Jackie's family for nearly as long. She says she was shocked to see the law is what it is, and so was a man who can help fix it.

"Senator [Mike] Padden introduced a bill to make it a felony," she said.

[...]

JUN 28, 2022
[...]

A charging request was formally submitted after Spokane County's new medical examiner amended Kala's manner of death from what the previous ME had found, 'undetermined,' to now reflect 'homicide.'

Jackie Forney, Heather Higgins's mother, has closely followed Kala's case for years and remained very close with her loved ones.

[...]

It's been nearly 12 years since anyone has seen Heather. Despite her remains never being located, she was legally declared dead in July of 2021. Her official death certificate states she was the victim of 'probable homicidal violence.'

[...]

... In a police document, SPD recalls questioning Robert Davis about claims he was with Heather the day she disappeared. They state he admitted to 'giving her a ride' but later dropping her off 'standing on the curb.' Docs state he told investigators that was the last time he ever saw Heather Higgins.

His mother told a different story. She, according to the document, told SPD Davis confessed that he had 'done something bad,' and while he claimed he didn't murder Heather, he admitted to disposing of her body 'by putting her in a sleeping bag.' His mother said he went on to say he 'drove up north on the way to a ski resort and pushed her off the side of the road into a very steep valley.' Despite searches at the hands of Heather's family and loved ones, she has never been recovered.

"He, this man, told his mother that he dumped my daughter's (body,)" Jackie said. "He knows where she is. He was the last one seen with her."

And that's not all of it. The record also states a witness found 'a large butcher's knife' and Heather's college ID about three and a half blocks from Davis' address at the time of Heather's disappearance.

[...]

Prosecutors told KHQ Tuesday they are still reviewing the charging request for Kala William's murder. They couldn't give a timeline on when a determination will be made. At last check, SPD states Heather's case remains active and the urge anyone with information to come forward.

As for Jackie, she just hopes the new movement on Kala's case will go somewhere. And perhaps bring justice for both families.
"It's an absolute travesty that nothing has been done to get justice for our girls," she said. "But it could now. I hope."

FEB 13, 2023
[...]

Davis is currently serving a 15 year sentence in an Idaho Prison for attacking another woman in 2014. That victim survived the attack and was able to testify against him.

Kala’s family attended a previous parole hearing for Davis. His next parole hearing is set for 2024.

[...]

Davis’ name has been tied to the case of a third victim, Heather Higgins. She vanished in 2010. Her body has never been found. Police documents allege personal items of Heather’s along with a knife were found a few blocks from where Davis was living at the time. A witness also reported seeing Heather Higgins with Davis on the final day she was seen. Davis has never been charged in connection to Heather’s disappearance.

If you have any information at all about Kala Williams or Heather Higgins, SPD urges you to call crime check at 509.456.2233.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back