WA WA - Janice Hannigan, 15, Wapato, 24 Dec 1971

Janice Hannigan is my aunt. Trudi Lee-Clark (one of Janice's sisters) was my mother she passed away on December 23rd, 2018. My mom talked to me about Janice's case. I've picked up where she left off. I'm not sure how this works but I contacted Namus and asked to be the one on updates for my aunt Janice. I appreciate the info that has been given. I'm going to look into it. In my spare time I look through Namus I've only started looking in Washington.

Janice Hannigan is my aunt. Trudi Lee-Clark (one of Janice's sisters) was my mother she passed away on December 23rd, 2018. My mom talked to me about Janice's case. I've picked up where she left off. I'm not sure how this works but I contacted Namus and asked to be the one on updates for my aunt Janice. I appreciate the info that has been given. I'm going to look into it. In my spare time I look through Namus I've only started looking in Washington.

I'm sorry for both your losses.

Let's Find Janice Hannigan and Bring Her Home
It seems her niece may have picked up the search after her sister died. What doesn't make sense to me is it states that she was in the hospital for 3 days Dec 21-24

Janice went to the hospital on Dec. 21, 1971, where she was treated for numerous bruises on her chest and head.
“The patient was admitted to the hospital with multiple contusions around the head. Has shown no evidence of any headache or loss in the level of consciousness,” Dr. H.D. Buckley wrote in his discharge summary, which doesn’t identify the hospital or say anything about the cause of Janice’s injuries. “The contused areas show the swelling to be receding.”
I don't understand, did nobody know she was in the hospital for three days? Where did this discharge summary come from that nobody knows what hospital it came from? How many hospitals are in the area that LE couldn't track the doctors name to a hospital? Before the sister passed away she said he did not believe her father had anything to do with it. I guess my question is what did the father have to say? If he didn't know she was in the hospital, when did he last see her because the dates are confusing from different sources. Namus says last contact March 1st 1971. Her sister says she participated in a Veterans Day event in Nov 1971 and of course was in an unknown hospital for 3 days. I feel like the hospital/doctor info could have easily been tracked and maybe the doctor would have had more details about her.

I wonder - could she have been in hospital to give birth? Perhaps the reason the hospital name wasn't mentioned on the paperwork was because it was only half or a portion of the notes.

I think hospital stays were longer in the past, but three days seems quite long for bruises. It seems about right for giving birth.

I wonder - could she have been in hospital to give birth? Perhaps the reason the hospital name wasn't mentioned on the paperwork was because it was only half or a portion of the notes.

I think hospital stays were longer in the past, but three days seems quite long for bruises. It seems about right for giving birth.

I suppose it depends on the cause of the bruises; the doctor wrote that she didn't lose her consciousness... May she have suffer a fall or a traffic accident? In that case, I understand she may have stayed there under observation just to be sure she hadn't suffered a serious brain injury.

I would like to know why the investigators thought her father knew something; maybe because of the previous disappearance: "According to a Bureau of Indian Affairs missing-person report from 1975, Janice had gone with her father to a basketball game in Lewiston, Idaho, and went missing from there. It says that happened in February 1971; perhaps Janice was gone for a little while and returned."
47 years, zero answers: 16-year-old Toppenish girl disappeared after Christmas Eve 1971. Her sister refuses to give up the search.

Did Janice have an argument with her father then and investigators thought it may have happened again?

One thing that I find odd is that, apparently, no one went to drive her home from the hospital; she had to stay there for three days and it was Christmas Eve... And I don't want to point fingers, but the only evidence that we have about her leaving the hospital is a document written by a doctor who did not even mention the hospital or the cause of her injuries. Did someone, a nurse, other doctor, see her leaving the hospital? How many hospitals were there in the area?

Again, I'm not blaming anyone, but... the lack of information is frustrating.

I suppose it depends on the cause of the bruises; the doctor wrote that she didn't lose her consciousness... May she have suffer a fall or a traffic accident? In that case, I understand she may have stayed there under observation just to be sure she hadn't suffered a serious brain injury.

I would like to know why the investigators thought her father knew something; maybe because of the previous disappearance: "According to a Bureau of Indian Affairs missing-person report from 1975, Janice had gone with her father to a basketball game in Lewiston, Idaho, and went missing from there. It says that happened in February 1971; perhaps Janice was gone for a little while and returned."
47 years, zero answers: 16-year-old Toppenish girl disappeared after Christmas Eve 1971. Her sister refuses to give up the search.

Did Janice have an argument with her father then and investigators thought it may have happened again?

One thing that I find odd is that, apparently, no one went to drive her home from the hospital; she had to stay there for three days and it was Christmas Eve... And I don't want to point fingers, but the only evidence that we have about her leaving the hospital is a document written by a doctor who did not even mention the hospital or the cause of her injuries. Did someone, a nurse, other doctor, see her leaving the hospital? How many hospitals were there in the area?

Good point. You would think someone would have collected her from hospital.

@tashina.thomas well done on taking up your family's search.

I notice that Janice's Charley Project file was updated on 7 January 2022 to add two photos.

Still the same 4 ruleouts in Namus including one case from WA UP10799 which is either a case that is not publicly visible in Namus or has been solved/removed.

@tashina.thomas well done on taking up your family's search.

I notice that Janice's Charley Project file was updated on 7 January 2022 to add two photos.

Still the same 4 ruleouts in Namus including one case from WA UP10799 which is either a case that is not publicly visible in Namus or has been solved/removed.

UP10799 was Fly Creek Jane Doe, who has been identified as Sandy Morden.
Identified! - WA - Clark Co., Fem Skeletal Remains, near Fly Creek, Feb'80 - Sandy Morden

@tashina.thomas ❤️
Tashina Thomas usually checks social media as she winds down her day. Sometimes she browses the web for information about her aunt, Janice Marie Hannigan, who disappeared without a trace in late December 1971.

That could include online message boards, YouTube videos centered on missing and murdered Indigenous people or Facebook posts. Recently, someone shared a 1971 White Swan High School yearbook photo of Janice on the Websleuths site, which has dozens of forums on crime and missing persons. @YaYa_521 @MadMcGoo @JerseyGirl
61d49b8d2ebe1.image.jpg

A photo of Janice Hannigan appeared in the Wapato Independent and Toppenish Review-Mirror on Oct. 20, 1971, accompanying a story about the queen candidates for the Intertribal Veterans Day Ceremonial. Janice Hannigan disappeared in December 1971 after being treated at the hospital.

In her portrait with the story, Janice wears traditional regalia, her hair in two braids. Her jewelry includes earrings and what looks like the same bone choker she wore in her 1971 yearbook photo.

Tashina cross-posted the photos on the Facebook page dedicated to her aunt, Let’s Find Janice Hannigan and Bring Her Home. Tashina is a co-administrator with Michelle Joe, who created the page in early 2018 for Trudi Lee Clark — Janice’s sister and Tashina’s mother. Trudi died in December 2018, and Tashina is continuing her mother’s efforts to find Janice.

“I haven’t seen this picture of Janice before,” Tashina commented with the black-and-white photos. They’re a little blurry, but there is her aunt as a teen. Janice is wearing a traditional bone choker and a dark blouse, her long hair framing her face and spilling over her shoulders as she looks directly at the camera.

A Yakama Nation citizen and sophomore at White Swan, Janice was 16 years old when she disappeared after being discharged from the hospital on Christmas Eve 1971. Tashina, who is 30, never met her. But she knows more than most about Janice because her mom first started telling Tashina about Janice when Tashina was a young teen.

“She told me that she always thought (Janice) was really beautiful ... a good person,” Tashina said.

Janice is among dozens of Indigenous people who have gone missing, have been murdered and have died mysteriously within and around the 1.3-million-acre Yakama Reservation over decades. She would be 66 today. Hers is the oldest on the Washington State Patrol’s latest list of active missing Indigenous persons cases.
*Please read more:
Niece of Yakama woman who disappeared 50 years ago continues search for answers

*eta:
The flyer says Janice went missing from Wapato on March 1, 1971. The Yakama Agency lists her as deceased that same day, Trudi said in her October 2018 interview. Both are incorrect, considering that Janice was in the hospital in December 1971 and had competed in the Veterans Day event the month before.

Last edited:
The doctor who treated her was Dr Harold Douglas Buckley, who is shown in records on Ancestry as living at 311 Southpark Drive, Wapato and with another address at 2300 North River Road, Yakima. The record date is 1981 but there are also some death records for a man of the same name in 1979 so, whilst the addresses would be right, they may be those of a deceased by 1981. Nevertheless, it should be possible to confirm which hospital he was at. If I was guessing I would start with the Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital. I doubt records have been kept, but who knows.

Janice Marie Hannigan, 16, disappeared after she was discharged from the hospital on Christmas Eve 1971 for treatment of numerous bruises on her head and chest. She was a sophomore at White Swan High School. See her case at The Charley Project here.
1677663154196.jpeg

The doctor who treated her was Dr Harold Douglas Buckley, who is shown in records on Ancestry as living at 311 Southpark Drive, Wapato and with another address at 2300 North River Road, Yakima. The record date is 1981 but there are also some death records for a man of the same name in 1979 so, whilst the addresses would be right, they may be those of a deceased by 1981. Nevertheless, it should be possible to confirm which hospital he was at. If I was guessing I would start with the Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital. I doubt records have been kept, but who knows.
Thats a good find. Here I was wondering if it was a hospital in Buckley, Washington. I wonder if the yakima memorial hospital would have any records of her.

I feel that Janice's missing date is confusing as well, along with her discharge date from the hospital . When I had spoken to my mom about my aunt Janice. She told me Janice and their dad went to a basketball game in Lewiston Idaho. Janice had told her dad that she was going out to the car for something, but after that he didn't see her again. My mom said she was unaware about Janice being in the hospital in December. Also it seems like my family didn't see Janice or hear from her then when she was a candidate during the Veterans Day powwow. And the discharge paper was new evidence to my mom before she had passed. I also have the discharge paper and it really doesn't give much detail sadly.

Last edited:
I've never met my Grandfather Martin Hannigan. Because he passed before I was born. And I've seen the suggestion that he was a possibility of Janice's disappearance. But my mom spoke highly of him. And said their is no way he could've had anything to do with her disappearance. The way she described him was he was basically a gentle soul. So I don't think he had anything to do with it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back