WA - Joseph Lehman for raping 2-month-old baby, Kent, 2002

Not to fan the flames, but when I googled him a number of Joseph Lehman Jr's came up on facebook.....I looked at each of them wondering if this man could be that bold....what a thought.

1 Secretary Lehman's son pleaded guilty to rape of a child in the first degree,
and there was an ensuing national media outcry about the prosecution's sentencing
recommendation of only probation, which a judge of the superior court rejected. In
December 2003, Joseph Lehman Jr. was sentenced to four years in prison, to be served
outside the Washington DOC. CP 623-776, Ex. 4

This came from a very, very interesting unfair DOC dismissal, sort of indirectly related to the Lehman case. Still looking for more info. on this case.

http://www.courts.wa.gov/content/Briefs/A02/359197 respondent.pdf

JUDICIAL SENTENCING PRACTICES:

SELECTED FELONIES

snip

· Special Sex Offender Sentencing Alternative (SSOSA). Certain first-time sex offenders, not convicted of Rape 1 or 2, can receive a SSOSA sentence if the court finds that they can be treated in a community setting. The court must consider the victim’s opinion whether the offender should receive this sentence. A SSOSA sentence is a standard-range sentence to jail or prison, suspended on condition that the offender receive inpatient or outpatient treatment and meet other requirements. Up to six months in jail may be required.

http://www.sgc.wa.gov/PUBS/JudgesReport/1999_Judges_Report_Narrative.doc

I'm quite sure this is what they were trying to sentence him under, however it doesn't fly because he was convicted of Rape of a Child 1. Based on this report, which was authored in part by Lehman's father, standard sentencing for Rape of a Child should be 9 years - 23 years and 3 months. Clearly, even the 4 years Lehman ended up getting is far short of normal sentencing patterns. Under Appendix B: List of Offenses Covered in this Report, Rape of a Child 1 is Class A and a Seriousness Level XII. Under Table 1: Sentencing Grid, Seriousness Level XII requires a minimum sentence of 9 years and a maximum of 23 years 3 months. I have serious questions about how this case was adjudicated and I also have to question whether the father still has a job and if so, why. Further, it seems, Lehman would have been given a suspended 6 month sentence (as recommended by the prosecutor?) had it not been for public outcry. Public outcry should not be needed in order to ensure an adequate sentence, of which they still failed to give in this case.

This case is really disturbing me. There has to be some kind of rules and regulations regarding family of DOC that are charged with crimes. Clearly the father has had a hand in protecting his son from serious sentences. I mean 1 day for robbery? There is no way that he didn't intervene. There has to be somewhere to take this issue. Obviously anybody in the justice system in Washington is going to know this guy and is going to cover his rear end. Any thoughts out there?

This case is really disturbing me. There has to be some kind of rules and regulations regarding family of DOC that are charged with crimes. Clearly the father has had a hand in protecting his son from serious sentences. I mean 1 day for robbery? There is no way that he didn't intervene. There has to be somewhere to take this issue. Obviously anybody in the justice system in Washington is going to know this guy and is going to cover his rear end. Any thoughts out there?

I never understand that family behaviour at all. all I can say is if it were my son I'd be the first one in the mob with the noose. I raised mine better than that though, perhaps that's the difference. I agree with the PP. dont support the DP typically but when it comes to raping an infant, you arent worth air anymore. IMO.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid
Back