WA - Joshua Delacruz, 1, dies in hot car, Lynnwood, 6 April 2009

the one factor in all of these cases is "something was different in the routine that morning."

Has there been clarification on whether she knew she was leaving the baby in the car? Because the first article made it sound as though she knew. Did she think he'd be fine? I can't fathom that.

Hyperthermia Deaths of Children in Vehicles
by Jan Null, CCM
Adjunct Professor of Meteorology, SFSU
Updated April 8, 2009

http://ggweather.com/heat/

ETA Interesting statistic.

Airbags vs. Hyperthermia Deaths

In the three-year period of 1990-1992, before airbags became popular, there were only 11 known deaths of children from hyperthermia.
In the most recent three-year period of 2004-2006, when almost all young children are now placed in back seats instead of front seats, there have been at least 110 known fatalities from hyperthermia...a ten-fold increase from the rate of the early 1990s. (graphic) [Important note: This in no way implies that it is advocated that children be placed in the front seat or that airbags be disabled.]

From what the cousin said...the mother thought someone..a relative...was taking the baby home with them because the baby had a fever and a daycare won't take babies with a fever. If this is true...someone else could have thought they were helping the mother as she was running late and so they put the baby in the mother's car not knowing other arrangements had been made and probably not knowing the baby couldn't go to daycare that day.

The relative would have thought that the mother changed her mind and was taking the baby somewhere else and didn't give it another thought. If the baby was asleep when he was put in the car and he slept from Everett to Lynnwood she probably wouldn't have known he was in the car as she wasn't expecting him to be there. As she was running late she probably parked her car...grabbed her purse, etc, and ran for the building. She wouldn't have checked on the baby in the car because she didn't know he was there.

When she left work someone had already called 911 and that is when she discovered the baby was in the car.

That would make sense to me if that is what happened. I really doubt that she took him to work with her and then forgot he was in the car. If that were the case she would have gone out and opened the windows of the car, changed him and fed him.

It sounds like a horrible accident. It could happen to any of us no matter how careful we are. The unthinkable could happen. It has to be a terrible thing to live with for the rest of a person's life.

I wish someone would invent a bell like the seatbelts have when they aren't on a person only this bell would alert a person if the adult unbuckles their seatbelt but the baby is still in the carseat. That could save a lot of little lives.

Very sad all around. If somebody did put the baby in the car, I wonder why they didn't tell the mother or that the baby's whereabouts weren't made clear when she left the daycare.

I like the idea of putting your purse or briefcase near the carseat so you can't forget it or the child, but one caveat: I once placed my purse between the rear carseats and my toddler had quietly emptied it and tried to open my makeup, hand lotion and everything else inside. Many of us carry coins (choking hazard) and aspirin (poison hazard) so if you put the purse near the carseat make sure it's out of baby's reach.

From what the cousin said...the mother thought someone..a relative...was taking the baby home with them because the baby had a fever and a daycare won't take babies with a fever. If this is true...someone else could have thought they were helping the mother as she was running late and so they put the baby in the mother's car not knowing other arrangements had been made and probably not knowing the baby couldn't go to daycare that day.

The relative would have thought that the mother changed her mind and was taking the baby somewhere else and didn't give it another thought. If the baby was asleep when he was put in the car and he slept from Everett to Lynnwood she probably wouldn't have known he was in the car as she wasn't expecting him to be there. As she was running late she probably parked her car...grabbed her purse, etc, and ran for the building. She wouldn't have checked on the baby in the car because she didn't know he was there.

When she left work someone had already called 911 and that is when she discovered the baby was in the car.

That would make sense to me if that is what happened. I really doubt that she took him to work with her and then forgot he was in the car. If that were the case she would have gone out and opened the windows of the car, changed him and fed him.

It sounds like a horrible accident. It could happen to any of us no matter how careful we are. The unthinkable could happen. It has to be a terrible thing to live with for the rest of a person's life.

I wish someone would invent a bell like the seatbelts have when they aren't on a person only this bell would alert a person if the adult unbuckles their seatbelt but the baby is still in the carseat. That could save a lot of little lives.

That makes so much sense. I hope that is the case.

I feel so sorry for the whole family... they must be in such agony.

I keep thinking about that mother... How horrible that she will have to live with this the rest of her life. I really feel sorry for her.

Well she signed into myspace yesterday. I have no comment at this time about the death of this baby, because nothing that I could possibly say would be nice.

Well I got something to say..."This crap just pi$$es me off!"
Sorry...that wasn't very nice...

About there being something invented to help something like this never happen. Some years ago there was an employee at Nasa who somehow forgot their baby was in the car and the baby died. Workers there at Nasa did invent something to give an alarm. They could not get a company to take it on and offer it for sale because they could be found liable if it ever malfunctioned and a child did then die.
Spring is here and the high temps will increase, sadly we will be hearing of more happening :(

I have thought long and hard on how these can be prevented, nothing will be 100% but there are some steps a parent can take, if they are ever willing to admit that there is the slightest chance they could ever mess up and make a horrible mistake. imo to many parents believe it could never happen to them, it's only the parents who are not good parents it happens to, that is not the case.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/carbaby.asp

This link shows some of the terrible deaths including the one at Nasa

VB

I'll be the first to admit it. I once accidentally nearly left my daughter in the car when I went to work. I dropped my son off at school which I never did and drove on to work. If it hadn't been for always setting my purse on the floor beneath the carseat I would have left her there in the sun all day because I never went out to my car for lunch. The thought that that could have been me makes my heart hurt.

So I second the above hint to leave always put your purse or briefcase in the back seat area behind you. You have to set it down to load the baby in the seat anyway. And leaving it there makes it harder for someone to reach into the window or open your car door and snatch your purse which has been known to happen.

Of course this is null and void if she left the baby there on purpose while she worked because daycare wouldn't take him. That would have been infinately stupid.

I hated to read this. We had a mom leave her 2 year old in her car last year, and go on in to work at Lowes all day. The baby died too. I am just so haunted by the idea of the baby crying for her mommy to come get her. She had parked her car at the far end of the parking lot, where no other cars are parked. We heard she was one of Lowe's best employees.

I'll be the first to admit it. I once accidentally nearly left my daughter in the car when I went to work. I dropped my son off at school which I never did and drove on to work. If it hadn't been for always setting my purse on the floor beneath the carseat I would have left her there in the sun all day because I never went out to my car for lunch. The thought that that could have been me makes my heart hurt.

So I second the above hint to leave always put your purse or briefcase in the back seat area behind you. You have to set it down to load the baby in the seat anyway. And leaving it there makes it harder for someone to reach into the window or open your car door and snatch your purse which has been known to happen.

Of course this is null and void if she left the baby there on purpose while she worked because daycare wouldn't take him. That would have been infinately stupid.

I can't express enough how much I appreciate you sharing your story. I consider myself a great mother, as I'm sure you do, but, I honestly can not say that this could NEVER happen to me. I have read about it happening to so many regardless of sex, age, race, social status, etc.

Well still not letting this Mom off. If your child was sick with fever and a family member was caring for him wouldn't you check on him?

OMG! I just noticed I put in the wrong link on this thread!!

I meant to put in a link to the newspaper article about this.

I acccidently put in the picture my daughter sent me from tokyo showing the beer fridge at the store empty because of the local concert. Just as a "isn't that so funny".

Sorry!! (obviously my first thread huh!?!)

Don't be hard on yourself, I appreciate you bringing the story here.:blowkiss:

groovygrl, I want to thank you for sharing your experience and advice about leaving a purse or something in the backseat with the baby so people don't forget the baby. (Thank you also to the poster who mentioned this advice earlier in the thread.) :blowkiss: There are many times in parenting when I've had those "Thank God moments" and I'm sure that many other parents can relate.

Thank's Boyz Mum, after reading that, I wonder if someone was suppose to come to her work and pick him up?

Not making excuses, of course, because he shouldn't have been alone in that car for even a second, just trying to understand.

In the article it said something about her not seeing the people associated with child care (or something to that effect) and that the police report wasn't very clear.

It sounded like someone was expected to pick him up out of the car and maybe check in with her? I feel very badly that she couldn't just call into work. If the arrangement was for someone to pick him up, this is a terrible way to learn that is not a good arrangement.

It doesn't sound like the mom did this on purpose but I suppose we don't know anything for sure until the case is investigated.

Well still not letting this Mom off. If your child was sick with fever and a family member was caring for him wouldn't you check on him?

Yes, I would call and check on my baby but then we aren't all alike and if this mom knew that the relative would take good care of her baby and if mom was really busy she might have figured that the baby was fine and if it wasn't the relative would call her...I don't know.

If a mom leaves her child in a car all day on purpose that is one thing but if she wasn't aware the baby was in the car it is a different thing altogether. We don't have enough info to know which it was. If it was an accident then by all means the mother shouldn't be charged. She will live a long sentence for the rest of her life without going to jail for an accident.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaBN1
Back