GUILTY WA - Kimmie Daily, 16, South Hill, 17 Aug 2010

Thanks for starting this thread in the discussion area, darlin_gal. There were some things to discuss that couldn't be said in the support thread.

From your first link, and something you mentioned on the support page, the Pierce County Sheriff's Department originally "didn't know the level of her learning disability", so they just "treated this as a runaway".

First of all...WHY didn't someone MAKE them know about the level of her disability? How hard would that have been? Secondly...is this to say that if a teenager disappears and isn't disabled, they are automatically classified as a runaway? WHY?!? Not all teens run away. I hate the automatic dismissal of teens as "runaways". Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Okay, done with my rant. For now. I just hope that Kimmie is safe.

It frustrates me that none of the the local news stations are even carrying this on their front page.

Our developmentally disabled youth are so vulnerable as they are easily taken advantage of.

eyes, as far as I know her bike has NOT been found.

Is her bike missing also? Did I miss that fact? TIA

Sure hope LE find this lovely child.

I think the bicycle is also missing. I can't find anything saying that specifically, though. But most articles describe the bike, as if they are still looking for it, too. And nothing has said that they have found it.

The search continues today for a 16-year-old developmentally-delayed girl who was last seen Tuesday afternoon on her bike near the South Hill Mall.
Pierce County sheriff's detectives are back in Kimberly "Kimmie" Daily's neighborhood this morning, knocking on doors and asking residents if they've seen or heard from the girl. The department also send out 400 faxes to business along the Meridian Avenue corridor with Daily's information and asking that they search their property for any abandoned bicycles, sheriff's Sgt. Mike Blair said.

This map shows the approx. location of Kimmie's house in relation to the South Hills Mall. The red line extends 3/4 mile East from Kimmie's house.

picture.php

Most parents think when you go in and report your child missing...and say "she has the cognitive abilities of a 9 year old"...that they will treat it as a missing 9 year old.

That isn't always how it works.

Appallingly... when my friends have been in this situation... if there was not an obvious disability like Down syndrome... they have been required to provide medical records to prove the extent of the child's disability. Until they can do that, the child is classified as a runaway.

If no one told the father that she was classified as a runaway and he thought they were taking it seriously, it is entirely possible that this is where time was lost.

Though I agree. I would be in that police station until I KNEW they ALL understood and were treating it seriously. He just may have gotten the impression that they were.

Thanks for starting this thread in the discussion area, darlin_gal. There were some things to discuss that couldn't be said in the support thread.

From your first link, and something you mentioned on the support page, the Pierce County Sheriff's Department originally "didn't know the level of her learning disability", so they just "treated this as a runaway".

First of all...WHY didn't someone MAKE them know about the level of her disability? How hard would that have been? Secondly...is this to say that if a teenager disappears and isn't disabled, they are automatically classified as a runaway? WHY?!? Not all teens run away. I hate the automatic dismissal of teens as "runaways". Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Okay, done with my rant. For now. I just hope that Kimmie is safe.

No one has knocked on my door, which is odd to me since we're so close. Our neighbor told us that the cell is pinging in the area...it seems like they would be wanting to talk to everyone. We also haven't seen them checking out the water drainage areas...there is one right behind our house but there are SEVERAL in our neighborhood. They are fenced and have lots of water and huge weeds, like a marsh. I'm just surprised they haven't been checked yet.

Most parents think when you go in and report your child missing...and say "she has the cognitive abilities of a 9 year old"...that they will treat it as a missing 9 year old.

That isn't always how it works.

Appallingly... when my friends have been in this situation... if there was not an obvious disability like Down syndrome... they have been required to provide medical records to prove the extent of the child's disability. Until they can do that, the child is classified as a runaway.

If no one told the father that she was classified as a runaway and he thought they were taking it seriously, it is entirely possible that this is where time was lost.

Though I agree. I would be in that police station until I KNEW they ALL understood and were treating it seriously. He just may have gotten the impression that they were.

I agree with you. I wasn't trying to place any blame on the father at all. Hope it didn't come across that way. He is having a hard enough time with this. You're right, though. He probably thought that they were taking things seriously.

That is absolutely horrendous that a frantic parent of a missing child would have to find medical documentation of a child's disability in order for LE to take a case seriously. :banghead:

Oh I know you weren't and I didn't take it that way. :)

I just wanted to make sure it was clear because so many people just assume that this would be taken seriously. But oftentimes it isn't.

Fortunately, many parents with children with special needs have medical documentation with them. Not all parents are that proactive though and some do have to call the doctor to get it.

If the child has autism, or cognitive delays that do not come with obvious physical features...people overestimate the child's abilities. They don't believe it, because they cannot see it.

Then when it's a visible disability they underestimate them and don't believe they could have gotten far. So they don't look far enough, a bit like with all the toddlers lately. :innocent:

I have 2 children, 1 with a visible disability (Down syndrome) and 1 with a non visible disability (autistic spectrum, seizures, metabolic disorder) and really I don't know which one I prefer. It is dangerous when people overestimate the younger one. But very annoying when they underestimate the older one. :waitasec:

In this case, Kimmie was overestimated and it also proved dangerous.

(Does Nancy Grace know about this case? Since she is donating all the proceeds of her new book to a home for the cognitively disabled, I wouldn't be surprised if she covers it.)

I agree with you. I wasn't trying to place any blame on the father at all. Hope it didn't come across that way. He is having a hard enough time with this. You're right, though. He probably thought that they were taking things seriously.

That is absolutely horrendous that a frantic parent of a missing child would have to find medical documentation of a child's disability in order for LE to take a case seriously. :banghead:

No one has knocked on my door, which is odd to me since we're so close. Our neighbor told us that the cell is pinging in the area...it seems like they would be wanting to talk to everyone. We also haven't seen them checking out the water drainage areas...there is one right behind our house but there are SEVERAL in our neighborhood. They are fenced and have lots of water and huge weeds, like a marsh. I'm just surprised they haven't been checked yet.

They haven't knocked on mine either and I'm less than a mile from the house nor have I seen any flyers in the neighborhood. I did see the flyer at Safeway though.

Oh I know you weren't and I didn't take it that way. :)

I just wanted to make sure it was clear because so many people just assume that this would be taken seriously. But oftentimes it isn't.

Fortunately, many parents with children with special needs have medical documentation with them. Not all parents are that proactive though and some do have to call the doctor to get it.

If the child has autism, or cognitive delays that do not come with obvious physical features...people overestimate the child's abilities. They don't believe it, because they cannot see it.

Then when it's a visible disability they underestimate them and don't believe they could have gotten far. So they don't look far enough, a bit like with all the toddlers lately. :innocent:

I have 2 children, 1 with a visible disability (Down syndrome) and 1 with a non visible disability (autistic spectrum, seizures, metabolic disorder) and really I don't know which one I prefer. It is dangerous when people overestimate the younger one. But very annoying when they underestimate the older one. :waitasec:

In this case, Kimmie was overestimated and it also proved dangerous.

(Does Nancy Grace know about this case? Since she is donating all the proceeds of her new book to a home for the cognitively disabled, I wouldn't be surprised if she covers it.)

It's not been mentioned on her FB page. The local media isn't even really covering it. Just a few "news blogs".

Thanks, summer_breeze!

Any other locals notice that SAR have packed up the area...the helicopter and planes have stopped coming by as well. I can't find any new information, though. I wonder if they just moved to another area or if they found something?

I am still not seeing anything new since the last article 6 hours ago. With the search for Lindsey and everything else going on....she isn't high on the priority list.

It IS on the front page here, at least unless they pick up a couple other stories: http://www.kirotv.com

I am going to try and watch the news at some point tonight, see if there is anything new on there.

It's not been mentioned on her FB page. The local media isn't even really covering it. Just a few "news blogs".

I am a bit surprised she isn't using the opportunity for some good PR...

"As you know, all the proceeds for my new book are going to this house...so this next case hits particularly close to home...."

Then again, I'm not surprised because there's something going on in Putnam County.

They have tracked her phone, it is supposedly within 3/4 of a mile, east of the house, according to the Dad. They just can't narrow it down more than that, which probably just means it doesn't have exact GPS in it? He talks about it in this video: http://puyallup.komonews.com/content/search-continues-missing-girl-south-hill

About 3/4 of a mile east there is Subway, McDonalds, Holiday Inn, a salon. Closer than 3/4 of a mile it is mostly residential. There is a couple of large buildings and large parking lots. Lots of trees, of course.

I do not see any water though.

This is every parents worst fear when you have a child with special needs...especially if the child doesn't have a obvious and common diagnosis. The police don't understand, don't take it seriously, don't realize the extent of the child's delay. They treat it as a runaway and lose time. Almost 72 hours now. It doesn't even come up on the front page of the sites that do have it up. :(

Snipped

Actually there is a small lake to the east of South Hill Mall and north of Kimmie's house on the map. It is located in Bradley Lake Park behind the Walmart and Lowe's. There are walking/biking trails around the lake.

Actually there is a small lake to the east of South Hill Mall and north of Kimmie's house on the map. It is located in Bradley Lake Park behind the Walmart and Lowe's. There are walking/biking trails around the lake.

I am only referring to the 3/4 mile east of her house, as that is where her Dad says the cell phone was pinging.

This lake is north of her house, correct? So it wouldn't be within where her Dad said the cell phone was?

One of the comments at the link below is from a resident of the area. She said she is also concerned at the lack of local coverage and that all the search teams and helicopters have dried up so to speak.

This makes me angry and sad.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/24691833/detail.html

It makes me want to puke. Giving up...writing them off...not giving the same amount of care or attention.

I've seen it with the medical aspect...Pulling teeth instead of putting on braces, even though the child is perfectly capable of having braces.

My daughter and Kimmie are not eligible for organ transplants unless they come from a immediate family member. They can't be put on the donor list. A baby can, a 4 year old can, a 9 year old can, but not a 16 year old with the cognitive ability of a 9 year old.

With the school aspect...Just babysitting instead of teaching a perfectly capable child...

I see it with just about everything.

I fear they have done the same thing here. Just "assumed" that she couldn't be alive because they think she couldn't survive on her own. Or "assumed" something else that has caused them to stop looking. They still need to FIND her! :banghead:

There is a sweet comment on this article
from grammiepat: http://www.king5.com/news/local/kimmie-missing-teen-puyallup-101128549.html

Has someone informed Nancy of Kimmie now?? If not, can someone do that please? In case the coverage is still needed Monday.

KIROTV news at 11pm:

Kimmie has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (that helps explain the single Dad)

The Dad is concerned because she is friendly and trusting of nearly everyone.

The case is a missing person's investigation.

The neighbors have always felt safe until something like this happens.

That was it. It was about the 5th story in, followed by the clearing brush for Lindsey Baum searchers.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82
Back