WA WA - Larry Riegel, 58, Yakima, 25 Dec 2009

http://www.kapptv.com/article/2013/jan/07/new-billboards-missing-yakima-man/

By Eugene Buenaventura. Published Monday, January 7th, 2013

RIEGEL_top_story.bmp

'Seeing him, talking to him, that's what I miss most'

Riegel's family just wants closure and they have spent thousands of dollars to keep the case in the public eye.

[snip]

Susan told KIMA the family currently has a 10-thousand dollar reward for any information that will lead to the recovery of Larry's body. This is being funded through a variety of ways, including the "FindLarryRiegel.com" bracelet.

"You just want to cry, and you miss him, and you wish our family wasn't going through this, and it feels like a story that happens to other people, you never really think its going to come home and happen to your own family," said Susan.

The family is hopeful Thursday's home searches will lead them to the answers they've been waiting for.

Yakima police tell us they did find evidence inside Ladena Mann's home that will help with the investigation.

http://www.kimatv.com/news/local/Larry-Riegels-family--215192171.html?tab=video&c=y

Year-Long Search Continues for Missing Yakima Man

[snip]

On Thursday, Yakima Police carefully searched two houses, one in Yakima and another in Moxee. They're both connected to Larry's ex-girlfriend.

[snip]

"Of course I was celebrating," said Cecelia Downey, Larry's mother. "I've told everybody that I know hey guess what her house is being searched today, finally."

[snip]

"It's been a very active investigation for the last several months and from that investigation we've been able to establish enough probable cause to obtain a signed search warrant from a judge," said Captain Rod Light with the Yakima Police Department.

[snip]

Police said they'll take any evidence they find to a crime lab for further testing.

http://www.kndo.com/story/22821241/...=default&clipId=9083802#.UeA_VnmDUBo.facebook

Search for Larry Riegel Continues, Family Hopes 2014 Brings Answers

[snip]

2014. The year Susan Riegel Vaughan is determined to find her missing brother. Larry was last heard from Christmas Day four years ago.

[snip]

First, police said there's now multiple persons of interest including Larry's ex-girlfriend Ladena Mann. The others aren't being named.

[snip]

Three new billboards picturing Larry's face went up around Yakima Tuesday with the hope that someone will come forward with information. The family is still offering a $10,000 reward for the recovery of Larry's body.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/53960895/#.UsT1lbQmTOA

Cold Case Spotlight

What Happened to Larry Riegel?

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/cold-case-spotlight/what-happened-larry-riegel-n480336

Where was Larry? It's still a question to which his family will simply not give up hunting for answers.

"My poor mother. She's 86 and doesn't know what's happened to her only son," Sally Green, another of Larry's four sisters, told Dateline. "We're going to do whatever we have to in order to get those answers."

Years soon ticked on, but answers never came. A private investigator was hired, funded by the family, and a cadaver dog was brought in during the summer of 2010 to sniff around an area they thought Larry could have been buried. Nothing, however, was uncovered.

To make matters more troubling, family members say Larry had undergone neck surgery to address some neurological and pain issues in his upper back just a few weeks prior to his disappearance.

Lt. Nolan Wentz of the Yakima Police Department has been running down leads in Larry's case for nearly three years. Wentz was doing internal investigations at the time when the department's captain recommended he take a look at the case.

"Usually when people hand me a missing person's case, it's a homicide. And I believe this is the case here too," Wentz told Dateline.

Countless hours have been spent tracking each person who may play a role in the puzzle of the case. But perhaps the people who may hold the best possible key have not yet been identified.

Seven years later, search for missing Yakima man continues

http://kimatv.com/news/local/seven-years-later-search-for-missing-yakima-man-continues

It's been nearly seven years since Susan Riegel Vaughn has spoken with her brother Larry, described as a beloved hunter, pilot, and family man.

He was supposed to come to a family gathering the day after Christmas in 2009, but never showed.

"I felt instinctively that something was wrong," Susan said.

His family sent him countless texts and phone calls in the following weeks.

But weeks went by with no response. Weeks turned into months, then years.

What began as a missing person's case, is now a homicide investigation.

"We want to know what happened, we want to know the circumstances," Susan said.

A few leads have come up in the investigation, but nothing strong enough to prosecute. The case is even more difficult without a body and little physical evidence.

"I do have a fair idea, based on what information I do have, what probably did take place, but until someone is able to come forward and confirm that, it's just speculation," Lt. Wentz said.

Yakima County Prosecutor Joe Brusic is now taking on the investigation.

"I believe that there are people out in our community that know exactly what happened to Larry Riegel. And I want to talk with those people and I want to find out what they know," Brusic said.

Lawrence Jay Riegel
  • lawrence_jay_riegel_1.jpg
  • lawrence_jay_riegel_2.jpg
  • lawrence_jay_riegel_3.jpg
  • lawrence_jay_riegel_4.jpg
  • lawrence_jay_riegel_7.jpg
Riegel, circa 2009; Ladena Mann

• Missing Since 12/25/2009
  • Missing From Yakima, Washington
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 12/15/1952 (66)
  • Age 57 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'2, 200 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A custom-made opal ring.
  • Medical Conditions Riegel was disabled at the time of his disappearance due to a neck injury.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Gray hair, hazel eyes. Riegel has a mustache. He has surgical scars on his left knee and a prominent vertical scar on his neck from recent surgery to fix four broken vertebrae. He way wear eyeglasses. Riegel's nickname is Larry. He limps on his left leg.
Details of Disappearance
Riegel was last seen in Yakima, Washington on December 25, 2009. He saw his mother that day and spoke to several friends and relatives on the phone. He promised to attend a family gathering the next day, but never showed up.

His girlfriend, Ladena Mann, stated they argued and he became upset and left their shared home in the 1500 block of south 12th Avenue. He has never been heard from again.

Riegel formerly worked as a contract pilot for Cubcrafters, but his pilot's license had been suspended due to his recent neck surgery and he was unemployed at the time of his disappearance. He had lived in Yakima his whole life and frequented several area bars, including Max's, Boomer's, the Old Town Pump and the James Gang Tavern.

Prior to his disappearance, Riegel was in almost daily contact with his family and friends; none of them have heard from him since Christmas 2009. He also hasn't accessed his bank accounts or used his phone.

Mann is considered a person of interest in Riegel's disappearance. In May 2013, she was charged with first-degree theft by welfare fraud, second-degree perjury and false verification for public assistance, all of which are felonies.

Mann allegedly used Riegel's electronic benefits transfer (EBT) card several times in the weeks after he vanished, spending over $1,500 in public assistance money. She also filled out an EBT card eligibility form stating Riegel still lived with her, although by then he'd been missing for two months.

In a media interview after her arrest, Mann stated Riegel had a drinking problem and claimed he assaulted her on the night he disappeared and she had sworn out a warrant against him for domestic violence.

She claimed Riegel contacted several people, including his boss, in the months after his disappearance and she believes he's alive and his family is aware of his whereabouts. She speculated he is in Idaho or Montana. A photo of Mann is posted with this case summary.

Foul play is suspected in Riegel's disappearance, as it's out of character for him to leave without warning. His case remains unsolved.

Lawrence Jay Riegel – The Charley Project

Larry was last seen by his mother at his home on Christmas day. He made contact by phone with several family members and friends that day as well and promised to see them the next day at a family gathering. He never showed up. He has not been seen or heard from since then.

His girlfriend, Ladena Mann, stated they argued and he became upset and left their shared home in the 1500 block of south 12th Avenue. He has never been heard from again. Mann is considered a person of interest in Riegel's disappearance. Mann allegedly used Riegel's electronic benefits transfer (EBT) card several times in the weeks after he vanished, spending over $1,500 in public assistance money. She also filled out an EBT card eligibility form stating Riegel still lived with her, although by then he'd been missing for two months. She claimed Riegel contacted several people, including his boss, in the months after his disappearance and she believes he's alive and his family is aware of his whereabouts.

lawrence_jay_riegel_1.jpg
lawrence_jay_riegel_2.jpg

NamUs #MP4753 - The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Lawrence Jay Riegel – The Charley Project

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/20091225Riegel_Lawrence.pdf

What Happened to Larry Riegel?

Riegel’s 67th birthday was Dec. 15. A few days later, a new billboard went up near the Eakin Fruit Co. in Union Gap. Alongside a big photo of a smiling Riegel are these words: “Remember Me? 10 years and the search continues.” The billboard includes a new $25,000 reward for tips that lead to the recovery of Riegel’s remains and urges those with information to call the Yakima Police Department.

Family of man missing for 10 years increases reward for information

Riegel’s 67th birthday was Dec. 15. A few days later, a new billboard went up near the Eakin Fruit Co. in Union Gap. Alongside a big photo of a smiling Riegel are these words: “Remember Me? 10 years and the search continues.” The billboard includes a new $25,000 reward for tips that lead to the recovery of Riegel’s remains and urges those with information to call the Yakima Police Department.

Family of man missing for 10 years increases reward for information

Yay @iulia! I came here immediately when this news story popped up - I'm hoping HARD that FAT reward makes ppl spill what they know!
Washington family rents billboards for man missing over a decade

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back