WA WA - Leah Roberts, 23, Whatcom Co, 13 Mar 2000

What did you mean by "Leah was turned in"?

As a possible match for the UID.
I really don't think they are the same person though as the resource seemed to indicate they were different people and the UID had been ID'd through another way.

Hi everyone, so I'm not sure if this question has been asked in this thread or not, but I was wondering about the jewelry that Leah would have had on her at the time of her disappearance, since it was never recovered at the scene.
From NAMUS, the description reads as follows:
14 karat white gold diamond ring with .45 carat emerald cut diamond, two .07 carat baguettes on sides; pair of 14 carat gold earrings with .3 carat ruby in each.
I don't know a lot about jewelry, personally, but I find myself wondering if these items could be tracked down somehow, assuming they're still out there in the world. There's a possibility that if somebody did Leah harm, they could have taken the jewelry off of her before disposing of her remains.
Any jewelry people out there? How distinctive do these items sound? Anyone think they could dredge up photos of something similar?

As a possible match for the UID.
I really don't think they are the same person though as the resource seemed to indicate they were different people and the UID had been ID'd through another way.
Gotcha just got confused.

Hi everyone, so I'm not sure if this question has been asked in this thread or not, but I was wondering about the jewelry that Leah would have had on her at the time of her disappearance, since it was never recovered at the scene.
14 karat white gold diamond ring with .45 carat emerald cut diamond, two .07 carat baguettes on sides; pair of 14 carat gold earrings with .3 carat ruby in each.
I don't know a lot about jewelry, personally, but I find myself wondering if these items could be tracked down somehow, assuming they're still out there in the world. There's a possibility that if somebody did Leah harm, they could have taken the jewelry off of her before disposing of her remains.
Any jewelry people out there? How distinctive do these items sound? Anyone think they could dredge up photos of something similar?
Wasn't the diamond ring her mother's wedding ring that "she wore all the time" found under the car mat? Or, is this ring on NAMUS another diamond ring?

If the ring found under the car mat is her mother's ring that she wore all the time, isn't it odd that it was under the car mat? Did she put it there when she knew she was in trouble? Was it a sign? Was she hiding the diamond from someone? Did someone else put it there after taking it from her?

Wasn't the diamond ring her mother's wedding ring that "she wore all the time" found under the car mat? Or, is this ring on NAMUS another diamond ring?

If the ring found under the car mat is her mother's ring that she wore all the time, isn't it odd that it was under the car mat? Did she put it there when she knew she was in trouble? Was it a sign? Was she hiding the diamond from someone? Did someone else put it there after taking it from her?
Oh it's absolutely odd, but I find it just as odd that the FOUND ring would be listed in NAMUS when describing Leah's belongings. Aren't the things that are catalogued like that typically on the individual at the time that they vanished?
I have a small theory, stick with me here.

So what if Leah was experiencing car problems by the time she arrived in Bellingham? Maybe she took a scenic drive after seeing American Beauty, somebody could have followed her out, trailed her, then offered to help, and she put the ring there for safekeeping while this person "showed her" what was wrong with her car in case she needed to get her hands dirty. Then that person could have harmed her in some way, when she was out of the vehicle, and rigged the vehicle to crash.

Just a theory. But I mean.... theories are really all we have to go on unless more information is released.

Oh it's absolutely odd, but I find it just as odd that the FOUND ring would be listed in NAMUS when describing Leah's belongings. Aren't the things that are catalogued like that typically on the individual at the time that they vanished?
I have a small theory, stick with me here.

So what if Leah was experiencing car problems by the time she arrived in Bellingham? Maybe she took a scenic drive after seeing American Beauty, somebody could have followed her out, trailed her, then offered to help, and she put the ring there for safekeeping while this person "showed her" what was wrong with her car in case she needed to get her hands dirty. Then that person could have harmed her in some way, when she was out of the vehicle, and rigged the vehicle to crash.

Just a theory. But I mean.... theories are really all we have to go on unless more information is released.
There’s no mention of Leah putting gas in the Jeep in Bellingham. From where she was last known to have bought gas in Brooks, OR to the theater in Bellingham is right at 300 miles. I calculated the range on her Jeep at less than 360 miles. I think her Jeep was found approximately 35 miles from the theater.

There’s 2 places that I think Leah would have gone in Bellingham before going East on the Mt Baker Hwy. 1. The gas station. 2. Book store for local information about her destination. According to her debit card charges and what we know about who LE was talking to in Bellingham…. It doesn’t appear she went anywhere other than the mall. Think about it. The trip was about to take on a massively new look. Going from traveling the I-5 corridor to heading into increasingly rural and mountainous route. Bellingham is the last stop on her journey that offers an abundance of services…and at this last opportunity to outfit her trip all she does is go to a movie and restaurant?

I think either her Jeep limped into the mall parking lot with some sort of car problems or someone saw her as a target of opportunity when she left the Jeep for the theater. Young female, apparently traveling alone. The wire that was cut, while it was stated that it could have been cut to allow the vehicle to somehow accelerate over the embankment, that circuit does exactly what the name implies. Disabling that switch and the starter gets no current and the vehicle will not start. Restore the connection or easier yet, bypass it with a screwdriver and everything works just fine again.

By far the least elaborate, easiest, and safest way for a person to launch an unmanned vehicle over an embankment is to weight the accelerator pedal with the floor mat. Someone would experiment with the positioning until they reached an RPM level that would make it possible to reach in, put it from neutral to drive, and get clear of it without injuring themselves. I think that’s how the ring got under the floor mat.

Why was the ring in the Jeep? Same reason everything else was still in the Jeep, including her pants with all her cash. Those pants were probably what she was wearing the last time she was alive. I think there’s a not so secretive or public crime scene. If any of Leah’s stuff were found at that location it would trace back to a short list of suspects. Whoever brought harm to her, put everything in the Jeep and got it away from where she was last with this person. I tend to think that was not far from the mall in Bellingham. It gets rural rather quickly going East of Bellingham. A lot of the small acreage homes that exist now weren’t even built yet when Leah disappeared. There was lots and lots of farm fields and wooded area just east of town.

I don’t think where the Jeep came to rest is an arbitrary dumping location. I think whoever put it there was familiar with the road. If you lived, once lived, or had some ties to one of those little towns out there you’d be familiar with the road. Then you have to think about this: if only one person is involved in Leah’s disappearance and that person dumped the Jeep…what was their next move? Seems like they’d have to have somewhere to walk to or someone to call without raising suspicion. Some people are pretty good bull****ers and some people are easily hoodwinked. The former often gravitates to the latter and vice versa. My theory is that the person had ties to the area and walked to the closest gas station or store or tavern or even a residence and came up with a story of how he ended up there.

I actually think her abductor actually is/was at the time married. My profile would be he’s probably got a criminal record. Mostly relatively minor. A lot of family members around him, especially kids have criminal records. Wouldn’t be surprised if the wife is the breadwinner. Probably less attractive than him and super gullible. Completely overlooks that he doesn’t really have a “career” and is oblivious to him acting mostly like he’s single. I wouldn’t automatically assume he was an auto mechanic. He may have worked around cars to know tamper with the starter relay, but if you own a bunch of jalopies yourself you learn stuff like that. What would make me think that he has been in the auto repair world is that if he disabled her Jeep in the mall parking lot, I don’t think he forced her to go with him. Not in such a public place and during the daytime. I think he conned her with a fictional path to restoring her Jeep to working order. It’s daytime, a weekday, and obviously located within a reasonable distance to a number of auto repair shops. What makes me think that he has spent time in a shop I’m theorizing that his plan required a bit of a sales pitch. Maybe his friend or family or wife’s family owned some kind of repair shop. I think he’s “Barry” and that if he’s ever arrested that he’ll be (in retrospect) a decent match to the composite. He’s probably been on dating sites. LE should sort through them for matches to the composite sketch. The fact that only one of the bar patrons saw Barry doesn’t automatically make me suspicious of them. If someone walked into the bar to indicate to her that he was there, that person would be avoiding being seen by anyone but Leah. I think he has ties to Glacier or Maple Falls. I think he has ties to Everett and made the red herring call from the gas station. Unfortunately, I think he’s tied to at least one other disappearance in Wathcom County. A woman from Maple Falls who lived in fairly close proximity to where Leah’s Jeep was found went missing about 10 years after Leah. She went missing not from Maple Falls, but from Bellingham. Once again I sense a crime where it wasn’t a forceful abduction, but a case where she was lured. Those cases being 10 years apart makes me think he naturally hides in plain sight. I’ll bet he’s got plenty of previous addresses in the county, some being jails, but not super tethered there either.

Wow, I'm glad to see this blowing up! I think about Leah every year I go to her intended destination. (Not because of her but I live close and it is beautiful country). I literally just posted on my FB group about her two days ago. "I'm veering but, I've always felt for this girl and her poor family! Because I was just up at Leah Roberts destination, and I think of her every time I am. I have to wonder what her intentions were? That hike is hard as hell in the summer, and the highway/mountain pass is still gated off in march when she planned her excursion. Did she really plan on hiking through the snowy pass and up a steep mountain with a kitten and no gear? She drove all the way up here from South Carolina. In a note she left, Leah indicated that she wanted to visit a fire lookout that famed beatknick author Jack Kerouac,had stayed in. This is a still occupied fire watch tower, visitors are welcome (ish), but not to stay. I always felt like she needed an alone adventure and didn’t realize the conditions. She was last seen in the western town of Bellingham. Her car was discovered crashed . Drives me nuts! She was a smart and travel wise girl. Hard core through hikers have told me how tough a trail this is in the summer (although the 70yo fire lookout can do it one way in 3+hours...in summer....and he's an old school mountain goat!) It's about a 10 mile round trip (if you have a boat) 4-5000 thousand foot elevation gain and sits at over 6,000ft. But the pass is closed, usually through May. I wonder if A) She was just so unaware of the magnitude of her undertaking or B) that was never her intention. She certainly didn't have the gear, and brought a kitten!? I wonder if her emails were checked, if she might have met someone online?....

i saved the photo and put it in reverse image search and it brought me to a body found in TN back in 1981.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Dang, one of those did look close. But Leahs family has provided DNA, and been waiting. Fortunately, by the time Leah was found, certain agencies had stopped "disposing" of unidentified remains in land fills. And yes, that was what happened for awhile.

"There’s no mention of Leah putting gas in the Jeep in Bellingham. From where she was last known to have bought gas in Brooks, OR to the theater in Bellingham is right at 300 miles. I calculated the range on her Jeep at less than 360 miles. I think her Jeep was found approximately 35 miles from the theater." Very true, as far as we know. But, Leah had a lot of cash on her. In Wa state there are different gas prices, cash and credit. Credit/Debit costs more. AND in Oregon, it is still to this day illegal to pump your own gas. (One of only 2 states I believe). It's very confusing to me still getting gas down in OR, like do I have to tip the guy pumping my gas?

If I can recall correctly from the Unsolved Mysteries episode of Leah's disappearance, it was mentioned that they found her diamond ring under the floor mat. So if that was the case then it must of been placed under the mat after the crash and not before. Because the Jeep did roll over a cliff and everything in the vehicle was jostled around including the floor mats. So she must of placed it herself under the mat, but their is not enough detail about this. Was the floor mat still intact to the floor of the car, where was the floor mat found?

23 years missing...

leah_toby_roberts_4.jpg

Leah Toby Roberts, age 23
Went missing 13 March 2000

LINK:

You would think there would be more unidentified persons ruled out for Leah. Maybe there are more and just not listed or visible.

4 Unidentified Person Exclusions

1680012422979.jpeg

Could Leah's disappearance be related to the murder of Keri Lynne Sherlock?

Keri Lynne Sherlock

Keri Lynne Sherlock, age 20​

Murdered 3 October 1998 in Washington State​

BIRTH 17 Mar 1978
DEATH 3 Oct 1998 Whatcom County, Washington, USA
BURIAL
Blue Hill Cemetery
Braintree, Norfolk County, Massachusetts, USA

LINK:

Keri was murdered by James Allen Kinney, a serial killer who is currently incarcerated in a Washington state prison.

kinney.jpg

James Allen Kinney

LINK:

Could Leah's disappearance be related to the murder of Keri Lynne Sherlock?

Keri Lynne Sherlock

Keri Lynne Sherlock, age 20​

Murdered 3 October 1998 in Washington State​

BIRTH 17 Mar 1978
DEATH 3 Oct 1998 Whatcom County, Washington, USA
BURIAL
Blue Hill Cemetery
Braintree, Norfolk County, Massachusetts, USA

LINK:

Keri was murdered by James Allen Kinney, a serial killer who is currently incarcerated in a Washington state prison.

kinney.jpg

James Allen Kinney

LINK:

If you scroll back in this thread, there was some discussion earlier about Kinney.

If you scroll back in this thread, there was some discussion earlier about Kinney.
Yes, I posted it there. It is still an open question in my mind. The two girls were of similar age and size, and both were far from home. Kerri was killed and her body hidden not far geographically from where Leah was last known to be some five months later.

Investigators have the opportunity to question Kinney in a prison in their own state. It isn't like he will be going anywhere soon and I am sure that he might find some time to chat with them. He is a talker - a liar to be sure - but he would talk with them at length. Perhaps they have already met with him regarding Leah's disappearance, but it might be worth while keeping it up if they have.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
holliryann
Back