WA - Lindsey Baum, 10, McCleary, 26 June 2009 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if this has been posted or not.

Friend's mother replays the night as a small town reels

http://www.thedailyworld.com/articles/2009/07/03/local_news/doc4a4e415cdb51d302573546.txt

KK's version of the brother going home is somewhat different than what we've heard.

" They walked together with Josh Baum, 13, to the Kampen house. But halfway there, Michaela said they teased Josh, getting under his skin enough so he turned around and couldn’t walk back with Lindsey. That’s something he now regrets deeply, Kampen said.

KK's version of the brother going home is somewhat different than what we've heard.

" They walked together with Josh Baum, 13, to the Kampen house. But halfway there, Michaela said they teased Josh, getting under his skin enough so he turned around and couldn’t walk back with Lindsey. That’s something he now regrets deeply, Kampen said.

I'm wondering if the reporter reported it wrong or if she is changing her stories. She said over on SM (and I believe it's been in the media also) that a family friend/neighbor sent him home because they were fighting over a bike. Now she's saying he went home on his own because the girls were teasing him.
Maybe they were teasing him about the bike for whatever reason and he got mad and was being a typical boy and bullying his sister and K so the neighbor stepped in.

I don't get it.

"You can't imagine the guilt"
Friend's mother replays the night as a small town reels
Friday, July 3, 2009 11:12 AM PDT
<snipped>
McCLEARY &#8212; Kara Kampen said she thought nothing of it when Lindsey Baum walked out of her house at about 9:15 p.m. last Friday. Little McCleary was such a homey place, such a safe place, that the idea that anything could happen to her was completely ridiculous.

Kampen moved to town in January from Arizona, and practically from the moment her daughter Michaela met Lindsey, they were fast friends. Brassy, sassy girls with big senses of humor, the two were practically &#8220;attached at the hip,&#8221; Kampen said.

In Arizona, no one let their kids outdoors, Kampen said. There was too much bad news. It was one of the reasons she moved to McCleary, for its wholesome atmosphere. It was a place where kids could be kids, she said.

&#8220;You just don&#8217;t see kids out here anymore, when it&#8217;s still bright,&#8221; Kampen said. &#8220;You see some of the older ones, or a few on bikes, but it&#8217;s not at all like it used to be.

Kuhn said he hadn&#8217;t seen such a change in the town since the Bassett murders. In August of 1995, Brian Bassett was convicted of murdering his mother, father and little brother and sentenced to three life terms. He was 16 at the time of the murders. A then-17-year-old friend who participated in the killings, Nicholaus McDonald, was convicted on two murder counts.

Those murders shook the community, Kuhn said, but did not rob it of its sense of neighborliness in nearly the same way.

Finding Baum has been complicated by a complete lack of physical evidence, Scott said.

&#8220;It&#8217;s like she vanished into thin air,&#8221; he said. &#8220;Gone without a trace.&#8221;

Article:
http://www.thedailyworld.com/articles/2009/07/03/local_news/doc4a4e415cdb51d302573546.txt

:angel:

Missed this earlier.

I'll see what I can find.

I couldn't find it on YouTube, but I didn't see all the news bits, so there is likely footage clips within those.

At least some good crowd stills would be good, to keep an eye on who's showing up to these things.

I don't get it either. It does explain why Lindsey didn't pick up the phone and call to ask if she could spend the night tho. They had to walk K home anyway and to ask in person usually works better for girls of that age so they can beg.

Who is the mystery person who sent J home and why are they not revealing his/her identity? Did it even happen? Obviously something happened and he left.

I think it was a nice gesture to sell cupcakes and it gave K something to do to help her friend. I know it must be so devastating for this young girl after a day of such fun to lose her best friend and feel somehow responsible (she is not). Bless her heart.

It makes me even more curious about the visit to the video store with a "group" of kids and when this took place. When did they actually leave Lindsey's house? Did they go to the video store before going to Lindsey's or afterwards? Who was in the "group"? What time did they leave the swimming pool? Who was at the swimming pool?

And was this white car noticed by several other people? IF there is such a vehicle, why haven't police asked others to come forward about seeing it in town?

They were at the video store (according to reports) at around 8:15 pm.

The mystery person that sent J home was the same person that seen Lindsey on her way home. No clue why they aren't releasing her name. They have said she's a county worker for a neighboring county (this would be either Mason or Thurston Counties). She was on her way to work when she seen Lindsey somewhere between 5th and 6th Streets.

The pool had to have been at a friends house because, as far as I know, there is no public swimming pool in McCleary. A lot of people have those large pools that they set up this time of the year.

The white car thing was posted on a news website by someone who has thrown around a lot of (supposedly) false allegations. I don't know if there was ever an official statement made about a white car being looked for.
So I don't know how seriously they are taking that info. Or maybe they have a lead with it and they don't want the person getting rid of the car before they can find them.

im going to be gone for the day...and night...so im not sure if i will be on later....

i just wanted to say...THANK YOU! to everyone working so hard.....and.......

I think its time LINDSEY get her own forum :) please....please....with sugar on top :)

there is so many players now, address, wonderful photos, maps, myspaces, and news links.....im gettting confused...frustrated....and dont have a lot of time to go back and forth to look up stuff.......good info is getting lost....

please....we need to find her!!

hey all, i am in mccleary, brought laptop this time. made an odd discovery behind the beerbower park, screw driver stuck in a tree 7ft up, reported it. (probly still there..) it's hot. there's still searching going on w/some dogs & etc, still handing out papers on the road too. bout to start taking the st pics also i noticed a small bridge behind the PD near the park ^ took a couple pics, it might be off mommsen but i'm not sure yet taking plenty of pics will check back later

hey all, i am in mccleary, brought laptop this time. made an odd discovery behind the beerbower park, screw driver stuck in a tree 7ft up, reported it. (probly still there..) it's hot. there's still searching going on w/some dogs & etc, still handing out papers on the road too. bout to start taking the st pics also i noticed a small bridge behind the PD near the park ^ took a couple pics, it might be off mommsen but i'm not sure yet taking plenty of pics will check back later

I was going to see about meeting you but I have my grand daughter and forgot to grab the car seat from her mom before she left for work.

Keep us posted and try to stay cool. It's supposed to be a hot one today.

what a gift you are to this case!!! thank you so much! i wish i could be out there with you :blowkiss: it is very hot today....stay cool :) maybe you could visit the video store?....and the place they were swimming?

I'm considering returning to McCleary

Might focus a little more on the Video store & Mommsen.

Where else?

I'd like to see pictures of the creek around the Mullins property. Does anyone know where that is?

Just coming into this story, I heard a couple days ago that the dogs were not picking up Lindsey's scent. I saw some of the pics of various routes (possible routes that may have been used by Lindsey). It was dark... why in the HECK does a mother let their minor child walk home? These parents need to get a grip. Anyways, someone posted the property of an older man, which could be a likely scenario. Have the dogs covered all roads from point A to point B.?

Hey everyone. I posted this to my profile just in case.

As many here know I am a week and half from a 600 mile PCS move...and had really procrastinated getting ready LOL!

Well my computer bit the dust this afternoon and I can't put it as a priority right now to repair it...so I grabbed my Husband's laptop just to come and let you know that I will not be able to work on Lindsey's case now...and that I will not be back online (might be able to check in..hit or miss) until the end of July beginning of AUG.

I'm :praying: that Lindsey is found and brought back to her Mother soon. Her family deserves that, and I will be :praying: that you all keep up the fantastic work and can uncover some vital information that may assist LE.

Take care!

~Kat~

JenniferO wrote:
The mystery person that sent J home was the same person that seen Lindsey on her way home. No clue why they aren't releasing her name. They have said she's a county worker for a neighboring county (this would be either Mason or Thurston Counties). She was on her way to work when she seen Lindsey somewhere between 5th and 6th Streets.

Hi all,
Am I reading this correctly? This person was the last (?) person to see Lindsey and the same person that sent the brother home?

I don't post much but I am here as often as possible. I live in Washington State and the first I heard about this was here at WS. That in itself bothers me simply because our town is right on I-5 and it always bothers me when nothing is done to let us know that there is a child missing. If someone is missing and was taken by someone that is in a vehicle - it's possible that if they leave the area, at some point the will have to stop for fuel, to use a restroom, food, etc. Sorry to vent, I'm really worried about this little girl. I have a little girl that is 9 and this just breaks my heart.
Praying for her safe return.

Just coming into this story, I heard a couple days ago that the dogs were not picking up Lindsey's scent. I saw some of the pics of various routes (possible routes that may have been used by Lindsey). It was dark... why in the HECK does a mother let their minor child walk home? These parents need to get a grip. Anyways, someone posted the property of an older man, which could be a likely scenario. Have the dogs covered all roads from point A to point B.?

I'm not sure what areas the dogs have checked. It's been reported that they checked her route and a park and some places the kids congregate.
BTW -- It wasn't dark. One of our posters went to McCleary and took pictures at about the same time of night and it was very light out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500