WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why I think the car was actually in a driveway. IF (big IF) that is the case, then the homeowner would be upset because they couldn't park or access their garage and would call LE right away. BUT... if someone was just dumping Mackenzie's car - why would they park in a driveway where they were bound to frustrate someone? It means the car would be reported sooner. BUT if they told Mackenzie it was their house, just park your car here and get in my car...... If that were the case, I would think there are calls on her cell phone?

"Yeah, yeah - that's my house, just pull in the driveway and jump in. We will be back before my parents get home, no problem....." Trying to make it seem more realistic to Mackenzie that they actually lived there?

Also, I would think that whoever lured Mackenzie there, knew the area. Must live close by? or have a friend that lives close by? or maybe in that very house?

Salem

Computer, phone search warrants in hunt for girl

A Chelan County sheriff's spokesman says the search for a missing 17-year-old girl is expanding to social networking and phone contacts that Mackenzie Cowell may have had.

Sheriff's spokesman Jerry Moore says search warrants were faxed Friday for information from MySpace, Facebook and Verizon.

He says the FBI has also brought in a rapid response team that deals with child abductions.

Moore says those searching for Cowell hope information gleaned from computer and cell phone records "sends us in a direction."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011061291_apwamissingwenatcheeteen2ndld.html

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/10/deputies-search-pitcher-canyon-area-for-missing/

Read comments.
Some have more info than have been in the news article:
'snippets'

On the other end of the technology spectrum, how about requesting a scan (or whatever you'd call it) by an EA6-B from Whidbey NAS.

about her clothing, she wears a different set of clothes to her regular highschool classes then she does to beauty school. They require the girls at the salon to wear all black outfits every day. Apparently, she never changed back into her street clothes.

Please call the Hot Ti......p line at 509-667-6848 with any information

I had to search her name in the search box which amazingly enough only brought up her name on the HS good grades.
I drove up pitcher canyon today. I had previously said I knew the 2300 block was far up there, but I didn't realize it's all the way up at the top where the road splits and turns to dirt.

She didn't have her car that long and I'm not sure if we have a picture of it, but it's a red, Pontiac sedan.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/11/separate-searches-go-airborne-rescuers-comb/
'snippets'
The helicopter crew is also looking for 17-year-old Mackenzie Cowell whose car was found abandoned Tuesday night in Pitcher Canyon, in the Squilchuck area. Canyon residents found Cowell’s car parked in a driveway about 10 p.m. Tuesday.
Moore said seven detectives are working on the case: three from Chelan County, two from Douglas County and two from the Wenatchee Police Department. He said Cowell was last seen about 3:30 p.m. Tuesday when she left the hair academy for what colleagues said was a normal drive to get coffee at Aut-To Mocha at Fifth and Chelan streets.

.more at link.

The "single set of footprints" is what gets to me. Where do the footprints go? Where do they end? If they end on the roadway, I think it's possible that someone could have been following her in another car and she just got out of her car and into theirs?

I've heard two different things about the car. That it was in someone's driveway, and that it was "near" a driveway. It looks like it is a very unusual area to leave a car. Doesn't look like it gets a lot of traffic. That may have prompted them to call LE. But I agree with you, Salem. I think I probably would have waited a while, too.

Hi Idaho.. Was wondering about the statement of the single footprints. Meaning there was no other footprints. I too am wondering where those steps took her.. could there have been a car waiting.

It kind of reminds me of a case of a missing girl from NH and her car was found on I-95 in Maine. She had pulled her car to the side of the interstate got out of the car and wandered off. I was wondering was there anything stressing going on with this girl. The girl in NH had some psyche issues and they believe that might have been part of reason for her getting out of the car. Sure is pretty strange either way.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/11/separate-searches-go-airborne-rescuers-comb/
'snippets'
The helicopter crew is also looking for 17-year-old Mackenzie Cowell whose car was found abandoned Tuesday night in Pitcher Canyon, in the Squilchuck area. Canyon residents found Cowell’s car parked in a driveway about 10 p.m. Tuesday.
Moore said seven detectives are working on the case: three from Chelan County, two from Douglas County and two from the Wenatchee Police Department. He said Cowell was last seen about 3:30 p.m. Tuesday when she left the hair academy for what colleagues said was a normal drive to get coffee at Aut-To Mocha at Fifth and Chelan streets.

.more at link.

BBM. Speaking of Squilchuck...there is a Level 2 sex offender (communication w/ minor for immoral purposes) on Squilchuck road. Just over 3 miles from where Mackenzie's car was found.

After reading the news articles,
I can only say that it does not look good.

4:15pm last heard from by text she sent.
10pm car found, 40 miles away, rural area, parked in a driveway.
Only thing missing, debit card.
One set of footprints leading from car.
No sign of her found in four days.

One scenario:
She knows someone in that area.
She parks her car 'in the driveway', but is off to the side, just speculation on my part. She leaves with someone else.
An old friend, a new friend?

Another scenario:
She is taken to this area by someone who abducted her car and her.
Her debit card is missing. Should atm's be checked from Wenatchee along the path to where the car was found?
Maybe she was forced to take money out. Forced to give out her pin number.
She could have been hurt seriously and left somewhere between last heard from and car found.
The abductor could have parked the car there. If so, he/she must live nearby.
Any sign the car seat was moved back? Any foreign dna?

I only hope she is found soon.

Hi Idaho.. Was wondering about the statement of the single footprints. Meaning there was no other footprints. I too am wondering where those steps took her.. could there have been a car waiting.

It kind of reminds me of a case of a missing girl from NH and her car was found on I-95 in Maine. She had pulled her car to the side of the interstate got out of the car and wandered off. I was wondering was there anything stressing going on with this girl. The girl in NH had some psyche issues and they believe that might have been part of reason for her getting out of the car. Sure is pretty strange either way.

Very odd. From what I've read in the articles, it seems like Mackenzie was a very well adjusted teenager, getting good grades, and involved in a lot of activities. It's possible, of course, that something may have been going on. As we all know, teenagers are great at hiding things from friends and family.

http://www.kxly.com/news/22540490/detail.html
Video has pic of her car, 2000 red Pontiac Gran Prix 4 door sedan.

Five FBI agents expected to join the case.

This video states that the car was locked and her cell phone and debit cards where missing. That her purse was still in car with clothes. I would think they would be able to ping off the cell phone to get an idea where she might be located.

One scenario:
She parks her car 'in the driveway', but is off to the side, just speculation on my part. She leaves with someone else.

Another scenario:
Her debit card is missing. Should atm's be checked from Wenatchee along the path to where the car was found?
She could have been hurt seriously and left somewhere between last heard from and car found.

Wasn't there some mention of some unknown finger prints on the outside of the car in one of the articles. I wonder if the car didn't have some problems and that is the reason she pulled over the car into the driveway. Wonder where those foot prints went to. Wonder if they went towards the house or on the road.

This video states that the car was locked and her cell phone and debit cards where missing. That her purse was still in car with clothes. I would think they would be able to ping off the cell phone to get an idea where she might be located.

I can see her debit card missing - if she was on her way to get coffee, she could have pulled her debit card out of her purse, so she had it handy when she reached the drive up window (it sounds like a drive through coffee house). BUT - it was reported she never made it to get the coffee. Why? Something happened on the way to get coffee... What? Someone jumped in her car, had a gun, told her to keep driving. She put the debit card in a pocket?

Or...she saw someone she knew, they said "hey follow me, let's have some fun" and she put the card in her pocket, followed them, parked her car at their "house", grabbed her phone and got in their car....

This is really very strange. But aren't all of these cases very strange? How did her car get to the driveway? AND why IN the driveway? It does not make any logical sense to park in the driveway of an unknown house - not for Mackenzie on her own or for a perp. It just doesn't make sense unless Mackenzie thought someone lived there.....

Salem

One scenario:

Another scenario:

Wenatchee resident here, just wanted to sign up and hopefully clear up a few details.

That area of Pitcher canyon is extremely rural. The road becomes dirt and very primitive before the 2300 block (though it can't be rightly called a block). There are only a few houses in the area where the car was left, spread very far apart. The road splits and becomes dirt (mud right now), there are several large areas a car could be parked and these areas are amongst outbuildings, farm equipment, old cars, animal enclosures and rubbish. I don't know for certain, but my impression from what others are saying and knowing the area myself is that the car was not left in someone's driveway proper (not what any of us would think of when we think of a driveway), but rather someones muddy right-of-way parking area filled with random stuff.

One set of footprints means they belong to Mackenzie or whoever dumped her car. The police are staying tight lipped on this detail.

Of course forensics have not been lab analyzed but according to local LE there is nothing immediately suspicious found in or on the car.

As mentioned, debit card is said to be missing, I think it is probably on her. Someone on the newspaper forum (I believe a friend or relative) states that her cell is turned off.

I hate to say it but putting together the train of facts and events I do not believe Mackenzie is with us any longer. I also tend to believe that whoever has done this was a trusted person in her life, not a stranger abduction or anything like that. I hope I'm wrong.

Ummm, let's see, I'm trying to address everything I can think of.

Pitcher canyon is a canyon within a canyon, if that makes any sense. The main road is called Squilchuck and it eventually terminates at a popular skiing resort called Mission ridge. Pitcher Canyon is one of the canyons that branches off the Squilchuck canyon road. My thought? Mackenzie went for a ride with someone she knew and trusted, up Squilchuck. Maybe up to the Ridge, maybe up to Beehive (another recreational road branching off from Squilchuck), maybe up to the Heights (Yet another area accessible from Squilchuck). All of these areas contain popular teen make-out sites. For some reason this trip went terribly wrong and after it went wrong her companion panicked and decided to ditch the car up Pitcher. Pitcher canyon is the last turn off before entering Wenatchee proper and perhaps they were afraid to be seen driving her car back into town or captured on any kind of surveilance. Whoever it was probably lives within a few miles and after ditching the car walked back to town. This is just my theory. I cannot think of any circumstances whatsoever that this girl would park her car up there and walk away. The road goes nowhere. The car had to have been left there intentionally. There is nothing to indicate any distress in her life that would make her act out.

If she met with foul play in any of these areas I believe she WILL be found. This area is highly recreated all year long, and the access would have been limited to the perp in her sedan due to primitive roads, snow and mud. If she is up there alone she should not be far off a road well traveled.

I'll reread all comments and try and address anything I see that I can answer.

So tragic, the whole community is just stunned and baffled.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011061291_apwamissingwenatcheeteen2ndld.html
WENATCHEE, Wash. —
A Chelan County sheriff's spokesman says the search for a missing 17-year-old girl is expanding to social networking and phone contacts that Mackenzie Cowell may have had.

Sheriff's spokesman Jerry Moore says search warrants were faxed Friday for information from MySpace, Facebook and Verizon.

He says the FBI has also brought in a rapid response team that deals with child abductions.
~snipped~

girlfawkes - thanks for that local input. I don't have facebook, so won't be able to see the info - but didn't one of the articles say that the boyfriend was with the mom when they reported Mackenzie missing? Also, didn't the boyfriend receive a text shortly after MacKenzie went to get coffee?

I know the info about parking in a driveway is misleading, but I really think the car was parked in such a place/position that it was inconvenient for the homeowner. Why else would the homeowner call LE right away? Yes, the car might have been out of place, so to speak, but if it did not cause the homeowner a problem, then it seems reasonable to think they would have waited a day or so before calling LE to report the car? Do you think the homeowner would have called right away for some reason?

Did I say WELCOME yet? If not, Welcome to Websleuth, we are happy to have you and appreciate your willingness to share what you know with us.

Salem

Depends on the homeowner Salem.

Some elder people do have a "get off my lawn" attitude. If something is amiss near their property I can see them calling police.

I might call police if I noticed a strange car parked and empty near my house/driveway.

Hello Girlfawkes....

Welcome and thank you for joining us here. As you can tell, I am a not-so-close neighbor, state-wise! The closest I have been to your area is driving close by on I90 when I head over to Seattle. I have heard of the locations you mentioned many times.

Thanks for the local perspective you gave us....that helps so much. I sure hope Mackenzie is alright but I have to agree that this does not look good at all. So sad because she sounds like she really has it together.

Prayers that she is home safe very soon.

Thank you for joining us here at Websleuths, girlfawkes!!! We really appreciate all of your input. And, of course, it's always nice to get the perspective of a local.

Thanks for sharing more details about the canyon area. Are you aware of which direction her car was facing? Headed away from or into town? Or "sideways" in the driveway-ish area?

I'm at work right now, but when I get home this afternoon I'll definately take a look and see what I can find about her boyfriend. And read your post more in-depth. Thanks again for sharing!

Girlfawkes- welcome to Websleuths! It's always good to have a locals perspective. Thanks for your post :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500