Identified! WA - Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #6 *name withheld*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I just ask a question? I’m not trying to start anything or anything but why are we still discussing this case? It was suicide, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People have cared so much about this case for such a long time. It's only been five days since it was solved, too...there will be a lot less discussion now, but people still have things to say.

People have cared so much about this case for such a long time. It's only been five days since it was solved, too...there will be a lot less discussion now, but people still have things to say.

I just feel awful for his family. Those pictures are terrible! A quick google search brings up the most morbid ones in the motel room. Whatever we censor or don’t censor here isn’t going to matter IMO.

I just feel awful for his family. Those pictures are terrible! A quick google search brings up the most morbid ones in the motel room. Whatever we censor or don’t censor here isn’t going to matter IMO.

That's what we've been discussing...they really are upsetting, and however we feel looking at them, his loved ones must feel the same way on an astronomical scale.

<modsnipped not victim friendly>

Side note- legally they have no right to scrub his images off of the Internet. Just a sad fact of modern life.

Last edited by a moderator:
“Porsche girl”

Her family didn’t want her gruesome photos online and I guess they have given up trying to get them off.

His family will never been able to scrub them off the internet. It is a sad fact of modern life.

<modsnipped not victim friendly>

Side note- legally they have no right to scrub his images off of the Internet. Just a sad fact of modern life.

Dead man found in Washington state, who had ties to N.M., ID’d through DNA

From the link:

The revelation wasn’t necessarily a joyous one.

According to the news release, the man’s family had believed he was still alive, but that he didn’t want to associate with them.

ETA:

Man Who Committed 2001 Suicide in Amanda Park Under False Name, Lyle Stevik Identified | Newstalk KBKW

From the link:

As a matter of practice, the Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Office does not provide the names of individuals who have committed suicide. And the family of “Lyle” has also requested that his name not be released.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago we scrubbed morgue photos of Tawny Mazzone formerly Maricopa Jane Doe or MJD. Despite numerous requests from the family other sites never removed the photos. Sadly, there will likely always be photos out there, but at least they won't be tied to his name since his family chose to not make the name public.

His family owes us nothing. He is home and that is our goal as sleuths. I am glad another case I didn't think was solvable was solved. Sleep peacefully young man, keeping your loved ones in our prayers.

The pictures are forever out there on the Internet. It is a sign of the times.

IMO, there is most likely a reason "Lyle's" family believed he didn't want to associate with them. And, possibly, whatever it was is the same reason he chose to end his life. We don't and may never know.

My sorrow is for the lovely 25-year-old man who, for whatever reason, felt it was time for him to leave this earth. My own kids are in their 20's and it breaks my heart to think they would ever believe suicide is the answer.

The scene photos had nothing to do with Lyle being picked at DNA Doe Project. The 2 mods at Reddit contacted Colleen after Lori Ruff was ID'd by Colleen. UNT wouldn't release the needed strand of DNA to a non-government agency so Colleen did research on how to do this; she had also met with the forensic gal from BG's case; DNA Doe Project was born.

DNA Doe Project is one if the best things I have seen recently to get these cold cases solved. Just to think of how many cases without missing persons reports could be solved. I hope LE takes advantage of this service. NamUs is fantastic, but limited to persons reported missing. What an amazing service Colleen and others like her are providing.

Is it weird I just want to a picture of him alive?

I feel like everyone does... like Marcia, seeing her beautiful face full of happiness and the way she should be remembered made me so happy and brought me peace. I think about her a lot, I think about how she and my mother were the same age and could have been friends... she could have been someone's mother. I understand the family does not want a name released and I 100% respect and understand that, but I also very much so would like to see Lyle in life, there's always a chance maybe there aren't many photos of him, but I'm hoping there's a senior photo or graduation picture somewhere out there. I wonder if any of his high school friends have heard the news and recognize him. (Unless he didn't go to high school of course) Either way, I agree with you, I'd love to see a photo of Lyle smiling in life, but either way I am glad he has found his way back home at least :heartbeat:

Is it weird I just want to a picture of him alive?

Not at all, lots of people have said the same. It would be lovely to see a photo of him in life, alive and smiling, replace all of the photos of him in death that the world has come to recognise him by.

I understand and respect his family's decision to not release his name. There are people who will be unkind and insensitive to his family based solely on their own preconceived notions. In my opinion, the fact that they are accepting letters from people and have passed on how thankful they are for everyone's efforts tells us that they are sweet people who simply wish to grieve in private.

When it comes to so many things about this case, we just don't know, and we do not have the right to know. Lyle's final resting place will not be an unmarked grave far from his home and his family now know what happened to him. That's all that matters.

Not at all, lots of people have said the same. It would be lovely to see a photo of him in life, alive and smiling, replace all of the photos of him in death that the world has come to recognise him by.

I understand and respect his family's decision to not release his name. There are people who will be unkind and insensitive to his family based solely on their own preconceived notions. In my opinion, the fact that they are accepting letters from people and have passed on how thankful they are for everyone's efforts tells us that they are sweet people who simply wish to grieve in private.

When it comes to so many things about this case, we just don't know, and we do not have the right to know. Lyle's final resting place will not be an unmarked grave far from his home and his family now know what happened to him. That's all that matters.

Do we know if they are going to relocate his body? I know that they turned down the offer from Reddit to take care of that...

Do we know if they are going to relocate his body? I know that they turned down the offer from Reddit to take care of that...

I'm not sure. I don't live far away from where he is buried, I would like to pay my respects to him before they relocate him (if they do) :rose:

:)offtopic: where Lyle is buried is 0.7 miles away from Kurt Cobain's childhood home)

I was wondering if his body will be relocated as well, and if it isn't I wonder if they will put up some sort of marker/headstone.

<modsnip>There are more than enough people online adding their theories to these cases, as far as I can see. Nothing I did added a thing to how this case was eventually resolved and it's shown me that for all the searching and theorizing I have done, with some unidentified people it's more often than not that they simply were never reported missing in the first place.

I don't think that is something there will be public updates about.

DNA Doe Project is one if the best things I have seen recently to get these cold cases solved. Just to think of how many cases without missing persons reports could be solved. I hope LE takes advantage of this service. NamUs is fantastic, but limited to persons reported missing. What an amazing service Colleen and others like her are providing.

The one thing I can see happening is that serial killers who left their DNA behind from long ago may be on the run now instead of sitting comfortably in plain sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500