WA WA - Matthew Garnes, 16, Tacoma, 26 Dec 1984

Um i think he might just be 1986 Montgomery county Texas John Doe the problem is with the John Doe

Circumstances of Recovery
Found in Crater Lake. Wearing brown short-sleeved button shirt with double, open-type pockets and a square tail--(label inside collar had "M-SS 8-0178-25, Wilson" written on it. "Levi's" brand blue jeans, 30 x 31, and white athletic socks. Tattoos include poor quality of name "Baby Dawn" on upper right arm; poor quality of name "Liz" on upper left arm; small devil with painted tail on left forearm.

Hair Color
Brown
Head Hair Description
Brown
Body Hair Description
--
Facial Hair Description
--
Left Eye Color
Unknown
Right Eye Color
Unknown
Eye Description
Unknown

ClothingEarring. Wearing brown short-sleeved button shirt with double, open-type pockets and a square tail--(label inside collar had "M-SS 8-0178-25, Wilson" written on it. White athletic socks. Wearing brown short-sleeved button shirt with double, open-type pockets and a square tail--(label inside collar had "M-SS 8-0178-25, Wilson" written on it. "Levi's" brand blue jeans, 30 x 31, and white athletic socks.On the Body

I submitted it just in case to me a lot of features add up.

Attachments

• F944F56F-6DAE-4BEB-B508-4707D252AC02.jpeg
    F944F56F-6DAE-4BEB-B508-4707D252AC02.jpeg
    25.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 5574C389-F08D-4ADB-9884-6C9B7D20CAC7.jpeg
    5574C389-F08D-4ADB-9884-6C9B7D20CAC7.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 4
P
Um i think he might just be 1986 Montgomery county Texas John Doe the problem is with the John Doe

Found in Crater Lake. Wearing brown short-sleeved button shirt with double, open-type pockets and a square tail--(label inside collar had "M-SS 8-0178-25, Wilson" written on it. "Levi's" brand blue jeans, 30 x 31, and white athletic socks. Tattoos include poor quality of name "Baby Dawn" on upper right arm; poor quality of name "Liz" on upper left arm; small devil with painted tail on left forearm.

Hair Color
Brown
Head Hair Description
Brown
Body Hair Description
--
Facial Hair Description
--
Left Eye Color
Unknown
Right Eye Color
Unknown
Eye Description
Unknown

ClothingEarring. Wearing brown short-sleeved button shirt with double, open-type pockets and a square tail--(label inside collar had "M-SS 8-0178-25, Wilson" written on it. White athletic socks. Wearing brown short-sleeved button shirt with double, open-type pockets and a square tail--(label inside collar had "M-SS 8-0178-25, Wilson" written on it. "Levi's" brand blue jeans, 30 x 31, and white athletic socks.On the Body

I know someone submitted Matthew as the Madison chimney John Doe from 1989 last year but I don’t know what the outcome was of that.

Hair Color
Brown
Head Hair Description
Brown
Body Hair Description
--
Facial Hair Description
--
Left Eye Color
Unknown
Right Eye Color
Unknown
Eye Description
Unknown

Ws thread..
TX - TX - Conroe, WhtMale UP4239, 20-30, in Crater Lake, Aug'86

Case Photo

MISSING
Date of Last Contact

December 26, 1984
Missing From
Tacoma, Washington
Missing Age
16 Years
Current Age
53 Years

Case Numbers​

NCMEC Number

Demographics​

Missing Age
16 Years
Current Age
53 Years

First Name
Matthew
Middle Name
Paul
Last Name
Garnes
Nickname/Alias
Matt
Sex
Male
Race / Ethnicity
White / Caucasian
Height
5'-7" - (67 - inches)
Weight
135 - lbs

Circumstances​

Date of Last Contact
December 26, 1984
NamUs Case Created
April 15, 2010

Last Known Location (Map)
County
Pierce County

Missing From Tribal Land
--
Primary Residence on Tribal Land
--
Circumstances of Disappearance
Matthew left home on December 26, 1984. He told his parents that he was going to Portland, OR. He has not been heard from since.

Physical Description​

Hair Color
Brown
Head Hair Description
--
Body Hair Description
--
Facial Hair Description
--
Left Eye Color
Hazel
Right Eye Color
Hazel
Eye Description
--

Distinctive Physical Features
Item
Description

Other distinctive physical characteristic
Matthew had freckles

Scar/mark
3 inch scar on right cheek area

Clothing and Accessories​

Item
Description

Accessories
Black/maroon/gray scarf

Clothing
Black leather jacket (Wilsons house leather), sleeveless black t-shirt (Iron Maiden), jeans (waist size-30), black/maroon/gray scarf

Footwear
Nike tennis shoes size 9 1/2

Jewelry
Silver chain necklace

Additional Case Info​

Vehicle
1974 Plymouth Duster
Style
Sedan

Vehicle
1974 Plymouth Duster
Style
Sedan
Color
Gold
State
Washington
Lic. Plate
BUX-160
Exp. Year

Last edited:
I didn't know Matt but I was friends with his younger brother in high school. I recall the brother telling me that Matt and his dad got into a bad argument/fight that day and Matt took off. I don't remember what the fight was about (it may have been about Matt going to Portland) but it was something typical of teens and parents. I imagine he was pretty angry/upset when he left.

By the time I met his brother just a few years later his dad had died. They were a good family with no unusual issues. I always hoped they would find out what happened to get some closure.

Interesting @allgirlusa its good to have a bit of insight on the circumstances surrounding his leaving.
can we definitely confirm he was heading to Portland rather than somewhere else?

The car is interesting, I understand it has never been located. In the vast majority of these cases that would suggest he's crashed into the water or in a densely wooded ravine where people never go. Did LE ever conduct any kind of detailed search anywhere?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back