WA WA - Nancy Moyer, 36, Tenino, 6 March 2009

This is the first I'm really learning about the case and read through the last 35 pages. So I'm definitely playing catch up, but just a couple thoughts:
-Someone upthread also mentioned if anything became of the fingerprints on the other glass near her wine glass. My thought had been it may have just been another glass of Nancy's. I frequently have two drinks at once. Even right now, I have a cup of coffee and a glass of water. It could be she was sipping on wine and water, or something else.

-I know this Eric has recanted his confession, but even his confession--I am having a hard time seeing it happen that way. Why would she go over to his house to have sex while leaving her lights and TV on and her door partially open? If she was in fact wanting to go and meet up with him at his house, I would imagine she would shut off the lights and the TV, and at the very least make sure her door was shut and locked. Makes me wonder if he saw her out smoking on her porch and actually forced her to come with him to his house. I remember reading a neighbor had heard someone say something about "get in the car." Perhaps he had been out somewhere and actually drove up to her house as opposed to walking (was his house walking distance to hers?) and seeing her out on the porch either just forcefully took her right away or propositioned her to come with him, she said no, he got angry and so he took her by force.

Whatever happened, I just hope justice is served for Nancy and her family and I hope Nancy can be found and returned to her family.

Human remains found by timber workers in Winlock

Lewis County Sheriff’s detectives are investigating the discovery of human remains after they were found on remote timber property near Winlock Tuesday morning.

“I hope that it could be my mom, or if it’s not her then some other family’s getting answers,” said Samantha Moyer, whose mother Nancy Moyer has been missing since March 2009.

Moyer was last seen around her Tenino home, which is about 25 miles away from where the remains were found.

Lewis County Sheriff’s detectives are investigating the discovery of human remains after they were found on remote timber property near Winlock Tuesday morning.

“I hope that it could be my mom, or if it’s not her then some other family’s getting answers,” said Samantha Moyer, whose mother Nancy Moyer has been missing since March 2009.

Moyer was last seen around her Tenino home, which is about 25 miles away from where the remains were found.
Thank you for posting this article, it would be wonderful if the Moyer family could finally lay Nancy to rest.
Short on time tonight - the recanted confession from Eric. Is he mentally unstable and it was a false story?

I haven't been following this case but came across the article while searching for something else so thought I'd see if it had been posted here.
Usually someone has.

I did have a read of the thread and I hope someone finally gets their loved one back.

I wish people would just own up to what they did. I can't imagine letting families and friends continue to go through hell.

Thank you for posting this article, it would be wonderful if the Moyer family could finally lay Nancy to rest.

APR 16, 2021
Event to Bring Awareness to Local Unsolved Cases Set for Saturday | The Daily Chronicle (chronline.com)
Friends and family of three victims of local unsolved missing or murdered persons cases are inviting the community to join them for a “honk and wave” in Grand Mound Saturday evening to bring awareness to their loved ones’ cases.

Attendees will gather in the park-and-ride on Southwest Tenino Grand Mound Road and hold signs and fliers with information on three unsolved missing or murdered victims: Matthew Anfeldt, Logan Schiendelman and Karen Bodine.

[...]

A similar event was held at Tenino High School last month to raise awareness for Bodine’s case and the unsolved case of Nancy Moyer, a Tenino woman who was last seen in 2009.

The daughters of Moyer and Bodine — Karlee Bodine and Sam Moyer — worked together to spread awareness at the event in Tenino.

[...]

Has anyone thought outside the box and considered the cop watching her house a possible suspect? Who better to get away with a crime like this? Something is amiss. Occam's razor says Howell who basically murdered a woman in the same town a year later, and sold van meat to Nancy in the past. The ex husband is odd, I never like POI's who start a conversation with "but I passed the polygraph!"

I know not much is spoken of it either but the comment above nailed it for me. I watched the crime video on this and the entire time something just didnt sit right with me about the cop running the radar by her house and being the last one to see her.

I don't know what it is but something about that cop situation. They briefly mention and rather quickly on the documentary that the officer took a polygraph and passed. So therefore he was cleared from their suspicions I suppose.

Just something about it. I wish they looked into him more. And he would have known the area exceptionally well enough to dispose of a body where someone probably wouldnt find...

I don't know. Its only a hunch and it just doesn't sit well with me for some reason. They don't even mention the cops name either...

Just for thought.

I searched but was unable to find any updates to these remains being identified. I think had they been Nancy we would have heard by now.

I searched but was unable to find any updates to these remains being identified. I think had they been Nancy we would have heard by now.
This article is paywalled but the Google summary seems to confirm (although based on a preliminary report) that the remains aren't related to Nancy.

Lewis County coroner asks for help identifying human remains
https://www.theolympian.com › local › article255111917

Oct 19, 2021 — Human remains were found in March in Winlock and in May in Centralia. Preliminary reports suggest both are men.

March 6 is a bitter anniversary for the friends and family of Nancy Moyer, as it marks the day her family suspects she went missing in 2009.

Nancy was last seen purchasing items from a Tenino market at 6:45 p.m. on March 6, 2009.

Two days later, Nancy’s husband went to drop off the couple’s two children at Nancy’s Tenino home to find it was empty. The door was ajar, the TV was on, a glass of red wine sat on a table and Moyer’s credit cards, purse and identification were all still inside — but Nancy herself was gone.

More at Missing Since 2009: Nancy Moyer’s Case Remains Unsolved After 13 Years: Family of Missing Thurston County Woman Are Still Hoping for Answers

Recently saw the Disappeared episode featuring the NM case. Sad & unusual case.

It definitely looks like NM left her home very quickly for some reason. I.e., she left her purse, wallet, etc. behind & the door was left partially open. Most people would make sure to lock the door when you leave the house, even for a short period of time (unless you completely forget). Most people would also make sure to take their wallet, etc. with them whenever they leave the house. Since the car was also left behind, it sounds like she left with someone that came to the home.

I'm puzzled by the "confession" by NM's former co-worker. It didn't sound like the authorities found any evidence that he was involved in her disappearance - or else something would have come out by now. But, if he wasn't involved - why confess to a crime you didn't do?! Strange.

FEB 17, 2023
Matthew Anfeldt, Karen Bodine, Nancy Moyer and Logan Schiendelman are familiar names to many South Thurston County residents for the mystery still surrounding their cases.

[...]

In an effort to raise awareness for unsolved cases in Thurston County and to show victims and their families that they have not been forgotten, Boheme started the Facebook page Thurston County Cold Cases, also known as Southwest Washington Cold Cases, in December 2022. The page, which is not affiliated with any law enforcement agency, features publicly-available information related to cold cases and active missing persons cases across Southwest Washington.

“To be completely honest, the goal of the page is simply to show the victim respect and to honor them as they deserve,” Boheme said.

The secondary goal of the page is to keep the victims’ cold cases in the public eye, which could encourage someone with possible information that could help advance the case to come forward.

[...]

Boheme also wants to showcase her field, forensic genetic genealogy, as a tool that can be used in the investigation of cold cases.

[...]

Boheme has expressed interest in speaking to Thurston County Sheriff Derek Sanders about the possibility of using forensic genetic genealogy and DNA testing to help solve cold cases, but the continuance of those investigations depends on the sheriff’s office having a detective to pursue them.

[...]

To help solve that issue, Sanders said he plans to ask for a full-time missing persons/cold cases investigator position to be added to the department’s budget.

[...]

Reactions: KAE
MAR 28, 2023
The Thurston County Sheriff’s Office seeks the public’s help in the unsolved disappearance of a Washington woman in 2009, decades after an arrest and confession were made.

[...]

In July 2019, Moyer’s neighbor and coworker Eric Lee Roberts called 911 and claimed responsibility for Moyer’s death, Holland explained. Roberts stated he accidentally strangled her with a scarf during a sexual encounter.

[...]

... Roberts then recanted his confession and charges were dropped.

Holland says Roberts is still being held for weapons charges while the state waits for more evidence to try him for Moyer’s murder.

[...]

Anyone with information about Moyer or Roberts is asked to contact Detective Hamilton with the Thurston County Sheriff’s office at 360-786-5500.

I followed this case along with Lindsey Baum, I thought they arrested this guy and it was solved. Did he really do it or false confession? Is he mentally I’ll?

Nancy Moyer was last seen at 6:45 p.m. March 6, 2009, at a Tenino, Washington Thriftway, according to “Murder in the Rain” podcast co-host Alisha Holland.

When Moyer’s children, who were staying with their father that weekend, were brought home March 8, Moyer wasn’t there, Holland said — noting Moyer’s purse, ID and keys were still in the house and her car was in the driveway. The podcast host added the front door of Moyer’s home was open with living room lights, a bedroom lamp and a TV left on.

In July 2019, Moyer’s neighbor and coworker Eric Lee Roberts called 911 and claimed responsibility for Moyer’s death, Holland explained. Roberts stated he accidentally strangled her with a scarf during a sexual encounter.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crybaby6
Back