GUILTY WA - Nathaniel Rosa, 31, fatally shot by homeowner, Belfair, 1 April 2017

I am always of the mindset that the intruder has the option NOT to enter someone else's property.
If I'm on the jury, and it's not proven that they did previously know each other, I'm going to let him off.
The man that waited in the basement and killed the 2 teens should not have been charged in my opinion. He was retired and had been broken into several times. He deserved to be safe in his own home. He had lost his peace of mind.
I know that my opinion is not popular, but it is how I really feel. Criminals have to take responsibility for their actions. If you get yourself into a mess and you end up dying, well, you made a bad choice.
MOO

While I agree with you that the intruder has the option not to enter someone else's property, Bryon David Smith went beyond defending his property. He set up an ambush for them. He moved his truck so it looked like he wasn't home and then waited to execute them. This quote isn't describing self-defense:

Then, after he’d delivered the final, fatal shot at close-range under her chin, he whispers to himself, appearing to practice statements he would give the authorities when they came:

“I refuse to live in fear. I am not a bleeding-heart liberal. I felt like I was cleaning up a mess . . .I was doing my civic duty . . . I don’t see them as human. I see them as vermin.”

http://crimefeed.com/2016/11/a-mans-home-is-his-castle-byron-david-smiths-thanksgiving-day-murders/

While I agree with you that the intruder has the option not to enter someone else's property, Bryon David Smith went beyond defending his property. He set up an ambush for them. He moved his truck so it looked like he wasn't home and then waited to execute them. This quote isn't describing self-defense:

Then, after he’d delivered the final, fatal shot at close-range under her chin, he whispers to himself, appearing to practice statements he would give the authorities when they came:

“I refuse to live in fear. I am not a bleeding-heart liberal. I felt like I was cleaning up a mess . . .I was doing my civic duty . . . I don’t see them as human. I see them as vermin.”

http://crimefeed.com/2016/11/a-mans-home-is-his-castle-byron-david-smiths-thanksgiving-day-murders/
I agree he seemed off his rocker on the recordings, but I feel like they drove him to that. They had broken into his house before. They took the bait again when he moved his truck which shows they had no intentions of leaving him alone. I dont know if you have ever had your house broken into, but coming from someone who has, it makes you feel unsafe in the place you are supposed to feel safe at. My husband and I were at work when it happened, and I slept with all the lights in the house on for weeks.

As for this case though, completely different. I agree, the owner should be charged with murder. He had safely left the premise, and came back with the gun. I wonder if something is being left out from the story.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The two exchanged words, and Fanning told authorities that Rosa appeared to have been drunk. : http://ktla.com/2017/04/04/washingt...ranger-who-was-in-his-shower-sheriffs-office/

This quotation about Fanning telling LE he thought Rosa was drunk strikes me as a serious point of concern. A drunk, naked man in a shower doesn't seem life-threatening--no matter how aggressively the drunk, naked man is yelling. I do not perceive Fanning's (the homeowner's) life as being threatened in this scenario. Fanning was able to leave, and--from all published accounts--Rosa remained in the shower and did not pursue Fanning. Clearly Fanning's life was not at risk at this point.

With this in mind, my suspicions lead me to believe that there is a much different story at the heart of this crime. Give the LE some more time to interrogate Fanning, and I bet a whole different version of what occurred will appear. This is all only my guess.

nope that's what he said. last time I checked tho, the penalty for B and E was not death.

Just to be clear, you understand the homeowner left and then came back to kill this guy, right? Like, was safe but then chose to go back into the unsafe environment and give a death sentence to a guy who was not an imminent danger. And you're saying you'd be fine with the homeowner facing no consequences? Did I misunderstand?

Just to be clear, you understand the homeowner left and then came back to kill this guy, right? Like, was safe but then chose to go back into the unsafe environment and give a death sentence to a guy who was not an imminent danger. And you're saying you'd be fine with the homeowner facing no consequences? Did I misunderstand?

Exactly. He was not in extreme danger. The right thing to do would've been to call 911/the cops and exit the property. He left and went back to the property.

I don't really know what to make of this one. I strongly support the right to defend yourself and your home but the circumstances here are just odd - intruder was caught showering, words were exchanged and the homeowner left (to his car presumably?) got a gun and killed the intruder, who was still in the shower.

At first glance it kind of reminds me of that woman if Florida (can't remember her name, I'm sure someone does) who had some sort of verbal altercation with her husband. She left the room, returned with a gun and fired a warning shot and subsequently went to jail for it.

It's amazing how leaving the scene to get a gun makes all the difference in the eyes of the law here. Had the homeowner had a gun inside the house, would that have made any difference? I'm not familiar with WA state law, so it's hard to say.

An intruder who's naked and taking a shower is likely not an immediate threat. I will say this is a pretty built guy so I doubt most people would have stuck around to allow them time to get their clothes on but...quite honestly, if the guy had a weapon in his car he likely should have waited there and called 911.

I'm curious to see how this plays out or what sort of verbal exchange transpired but again, not an immediate threat, certainly not the same as being in bed at 3 am and having your door kicked in.

The homeowner lived in another building nearby--the place of the murder was another building which was his office space. So not only did he come back from safety with his gun to murder the intruder, he left the safety of his own home to do so. What a blankety blank tool.

Once when I was younger my BF had similar happen to her. She lived at an apt complex and a woman just walked into her apt while she was there with 2 kids under age 2. This woman was def on drugs and proceeded to take a shower at her house. My friend picked up her kids, walked out and called the police. However she was very scared and upset as would be expected. She didnt have a weapon. After that she locked her door at all times. I dont get the taking a shower at some one elses house just weird.

A man walked into my apartment one afternoon when I had fallen asleep on the couch. He was visting his daughter two doors down and misjudged the patio furniture. I did not harm him. But I do lock my door before napping now...

Doesn't there have to be an immediate threat to the homeowner? Seriously, what if a mentally disabled or confused senior enters by mistake? You kill them?? And claim "stand your ground"? Or whatever it's called.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bruce-f...rder-after-shooting-nathaniel-rosa-in-shower/

Detectives say Fanning went back to his home, got a gun and returned to the other house. CBS affiliate KIRO reports that authorities say the homeowner returned and shot Nathaniel Rosa through shower curtains four times. The homeowner never talked to Rosa.*

BBM. If this article is correct, it may change some views on this incident. When this story first broke, I wondered why Rosa was still in the shower after having words with the homeowner, but it makes more sense now.

I'm all for defending yourself and your family in your home. If someone breaks into my home, it's a "shoot first, ask questions later" situation to me. I'd feel awful knowing it was just someone that had the wrong house, but I don't have time to worry about someone else's mistake when it comes to protecting my family. Given that I always lock my doors, the likelihood of some confused elderly person just wandering into my house is slim. I have my 4 year old little girl here, you better believe that if I hear one of my doors being kicked in, somebody is getting shot.

However, in this case, I can't get behind this man. Rosa wasn't in his actual residence at the time, and not only did the homeowner not bother to call police after he saw him, he left to get a gun, then came back and shot him four times through the shower curtain.

I realize when you're scared, you likely won't think things through, but you can't just go shooting people that aren't an immediate threat to you. Had the homeowner walked into his own residence and shot him, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Had the homeowner actually had words with Rosa, I could maybe even see a reason why he felt threatened enough to shoot him. I mean, we don't know what those words could've been, and what kind of crazy person would just continue taking a shower after that?! That apparently didn't happen, though.

This whole thing might actually fly here in Texas, I'm not really sure, but I'd still disagree with it.

This case seems a little unusual and probably not an ideal example of how to handle an intruder but I think many times were might confuse morality and legality with incidents like this. I'm not saying what he did was morally correct, but in many states the degree of punishment he'd face would range from nothing to murder. The laws vary that much.

Unfortunately, his dilemma is basically due to him feeling the need to "stand his ground" in a state where that clearly isn't legal.

BBM. If this article is correct, it may change some views on this incident. When this story first broke, I wondered why Rosa was still in the shower after having words with the homeowner, but it makes more sense now.

I'm all for defending yourself and your family in your home. If someone breaks into my home, it's a "shoot first, ask questions later" situation to me. I'd feel awful knowing it was just someone that had the wrong house, but I don't have time to worry about someone else's mistake when it comes to protecting my family. Given that I always lock my doors, the likelihood of some confused elderly person just wandering into my house is slim. I have my 4 year old little girl here, you better believe that if I hear one of my doors being kicked in, somebody is getting shot.

However, in this case, I can't get behind this man. Rosa wasn't in his actual residence at the time, and not only did the homeowner not bother to call police after he saw him, he left to get a gun, then came back and shot him four times through the shower curtain.

I realize when you're scared, you likely won't think things through, but you can't just go shooting people that aren't an immediate threat to you. Had the homeowner walked into his own residence and shot him, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Had the homeowner actually had words with Rosa, I could maybe even see a reason why he felt threatened enough to shoot him. I mean, we don't know what those words could've been, and what kind of crazy person would just continue taking a shower after that?! That apparently didn't happen, though.

This whole thing might actually fly here in Texas, I'm not really sure, but I'd still disagree with it.

I am confused when you said it made more sense now what were you referring to?

Anyone have exact address - I want to see if houses look alike in that area?

[FONT=&quot]There are four homes in a row in the area where the shooting occurred

[/FONT]
Mason County Sheriff @MasonCoSheriff

Lots of reactions to the arrest. There is more to the story that can not be released yet. You may reserve your judgement until facts are out
[video=twitter;848316088890793984]https://twitter.com/MasonCoSheriff/status/848316088890793984[/video]

[FONT=&quot]with special needs students

[FONT=&quot]He previously worked as an occupational community access aid at Work Opportunities in Lynwood,

fb

[/FONT]
17498793_10155191230187533_92319282075947352_n.jpg

15079053_10154725017632533_7912589482925212011_n.j  pg

14947516_10154693214537533_1312930950073162983_n.j  pg

he owns

.blowgunswholesale

[FONT=&quot]it’s kind of the wild west out here, in a way.”
[/FONT]
http://heavy.com/news/2017/04/bruce-fanning-nathaniel-rosa-belfair-mason-washington-homeowner-shooting-intruder-murder-photos/[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

http://www.blowgunswholesale.com/contact.htm

[/FONT]

Appears to have been a laid back person

13627198_10154375596262533_5830573948123108991_n.jpg

13178833_10154187463632533_8164897652177140435_n.jpg

12523999_10154115928657533_6486331525016966501_n.jpg

How far are the two houses? He was in the shower that long? I take long showers but that seems super long. Wouldn't he realize he wasn't in his own home once in the shower even if he thought he was in his home?
Not blaming victim at all. This is so sad and seems so senseless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't there have to be an immediate threat to the homeowner? Seriously, what if a mentally disabled or confused senior enters by mistake? You kill them?? And claim "stand your ground"? Or whatever it's called.

Not in FL. You can harass ppl walking down the street and get off

Exactly. He was not in extreme danger. The right thing to do would've been to call 911/the cops and exit the property. He left and went back to the property.

Right. With what we know now, I can't imagine defending his actions. He left the building, went to his house, got a gun, went BACK into the building, and shot a naked, defenseless man in cold blood. Why on earth he thought killing someone was a more appropriate action than calling 911, I don't know, but he needs to face the consequence of that choice.

How far are the two houses? He was in the shower that long? I take long showers but that seems super long. Wouldn't he realize he wasn't in his own home once in the shower even if he thought he was in his home?
Not blaming victim at all. This is so sad and seems so senseless.

I see what your saying and neither persons actions make sense at all, we have reports they two made contact but now that may not be true. So from what it sounds like the deceased may have not realized the homeowner showed up...or maybe he did, and simply opened the door saw the guy showering and immediately took off. Whether that alerted him in the shower, we don't know but he continued to bathe regardless.

Odd circumstances, and other than intoxication I don't know why he'd be there showering. But on a totally unrelated note, the shooting victim here looks a lot like the singer from System Of A Down.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back