WA - Noah Petersen, 4 mos, found dead, Lake Stevens, 18 June 2007

It doesn't sound bitchy - I just saw her do it to him a couple of times before she put him down and he got all lovey, snuggly and gurgly. So I guess that was the reason I felt like he loved it. And he slept really well when it was done and not so well when it wasn't.

She didn't do it tight - just snug enough to keep his legs secure. Soon enough, he was kicking out of the ace bandage. Today, he's almost 7 (we're going to his birthday Saturday) and I almost can't remember when he was that tiny!

Actually wrapping legs with ace bandages (maybe not wrapping them TOGETHER) is a treatment used in physical therapy for sensory issues. If the baby liked it, one would know because the baby would be calm.

---

I can relate to this mother's frustrations because I can still hear that popping sound from when I had babies. But the last thing she should have done was that. How do you even think of doing something like that? I know she's young, but still....:slap:

Sleep deprivation really messes with your decision making skills, your intelligence, the whole bit. I can understand how she might have made the mistake. My daughter was happy with the pacifier in her mouth, but had a little tounge thrust that tended to spit it out, and she'd get angry (cry) when it went out, get happy when it was offered back to her. Pacifier made her happy and let her sleep - but she didn't know how to keep it in, couldn't put it in herself. She also loved to be swaddled - all but her left arm. Most young babies do love it - the tighter the better (so long as they can breathe and all that) - reminds them of being back in the tight quarters of the womb as I understand it - they feel secure.

It was a mistake, a horrible one, but I can see how it could have happened to many people. Enough nights of no sleep will do wierd things to you. I've got my stories as well, and I was no youngster.

Actually wrapping legs with ace bandages (maybe not wrapping them TOGETHER) is a treatment used in physical therapy for sensory issues. If the baby liked it, one would know because the baby would be calm.

---

I can relate to this mother's frustrations because I can still hear that popping sound from when I had babies. But the last thing she should have done was that. How do you even think of doing something like that? I know she's young, but still....:slap:

She knew this was wrong or she would not have tried to hide it from LE

She knew this was wrong or she would not have tried to hide it from LE
She knew it had gone wrong when she called LE. Before that - maybe, maybe not. Or, maybe sleep deprivation.

Did she try to hide it? She removed it - maybe to see if the baby was breathing, maybe to try CPR - but from all I've read, she didn't try to hide it at all. No matter what my baby looked like, I'd try to start her breathing again - because if it were possible and you didn't try, how could you forgive yourself?

She knew it had gone wrong when she called LE. Before that - maybe, maybe not. Or, maybe sleep deprivation.

Did she try to hide it? She removed it - maybe to see if the baby was breathing, maybe to try CPR - but from all I've read, she didn't try to hide it at all. No matter what my baby looked like, I'd try to start her breathing again - because if it were possible and you didn't try, how could you forgive yourself?
would you call you husband before you called 911?
She told police and medics that a half-hour earlier she found the infant dead and ripped the pacifier from his face, then called her fiance before notifying authorities, according to documents filed by prosecutors.
if she removed it because no matter what she had to try to save the baby then wouldnt she try 911 first to save the child?

would you call you husband before you called 911? if she removed it because no matter what she had to try to save the baby then wouldnt she try 911 first to save the child?
I'd first try to save her - 911 can't do anything for the next few minutes no matter what, and those minutes might be critical. She's cold, unresponsive, I'd take the pacifier out, see if she's breathing, maybe try CPR in that initial panic - I'd be in complete denial no matter how obviously dead. Then, I'd call 911 (probably while attempting CPR), then my husband. If I realize she's dead (first minute to first 10), the priority changes - husband first then 911 (no way he hears that from anyone but me). So - how soon I realize it makes the order of calls (I don't know what it was - didn't read that in the article I read) for me. I still call 911 no matter what - again, if there's any hope, any at all, I can't not take it.

I can see a lot of variations, but in every single one, the pacifier comes out first thing to see if she's breathing. If she wanted to hide it, it would have been hidden, not visible to the police.

I know children have drowned, been dead (ice water hibernation), and been brought back - so I'd not stop hoping - even knowing it's denial, for a fair while.

would you call you husband before you called 911? if she removed it because no matter what she had to try to save the baby then wouldnt she try 911 first to save the child?

Did she call her hubby BEFORE calling 911? I should go read the link, LOL, I'm being lazy.

If she called her husband FIRST, well that adds an even more creepy feature to this story. Puts a not-so-innocent spin on this story... even more that it initially had. When faced with a not-breathing baby, why in the world would anyone delay a call to the paramedics by placing a call to their spouse???

I can see a lot of variations, but in every single one, the pacifier comes out first thing to see if she's breathing. If she wanted to hide it, it would have been hidden, not visible to the police.
thats just it. the police did not see it. she told them after she overheard them talking about sids.
Prosecutors wrote that after the mother overheard detectives talking about sudden infant death syndrome, she indicated the pacifier had been taped to the child's mouth to keep the device from falling out.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/320393_baby20.html maybe she was tired when she decided to tie him up and tape the pacifier in his mouth but she had plenty of sleep when she woke to find him dead and still called the boyfriend first.
According to a timeline the woman gave police, she last saw her baby alive between 2 a.m. and 3 a.m. Monday, when she awoke to feed him and returned to sleep. When she woke again around 11 a.m., she said, she found the child unconscious, tore the taped pacifier from his face, phoned her fiance for advice and called 911.
Police say the mother called at 11:28 a.m. to report that her infant was unconscious.

thats just it. the police did not see it. she told them after she overheard them talking about sids.
So they were talking about something that would not be her fault at all, and she told them about the pacifier.

Doesn't sound to me like she was trying to hide from LE.

So they were talking about something that would not be her fault at all, and she told them about the pacifier.

Doesn't sound to me like she was trying to hide from LE.
but we have no way of knowing what was said. "it dont look like sids to me" would still fit the details givin. a pacifier with tape on it in the room with the dead baby would have givin them a clue and they would not have even spoken of sids.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/320393_baby20.html maybe she was tired when she decided to tie him up and tape the pacifier in his mouth but she had plenty of sleep when she woke to find him dead and still called the boyfriend first.
I'm sleep deprived, trying to put baby down, but he won't sleep without the pacifier in his mouth. I keep putting it in, in a haze, he keeps almost sleeping then it falls out and he wakes again. I use tape (sleep deprived poor reasoning or whatever). Baby and me fall asleep. I wake up, and see baby looking wrong - color, can't see that he's breathing. I tear the pacifier off to see - he's not breathing, he's cold, I can't get him to breathe - I have to realize he's dead. I call my fiancee - he says to call 911 - maybe he's hoping, maybe I'm hoping somehow I'm wrong.

That's my scenario anyway.

Just a little after my daughter was born, she was a few weeks old. It's morning, I'm exhausted, she's woken up. I pick her up and put her on my chest (she sleeps better there), prop myself up so I'll stay awake while my husband has his shower, after which he'll take her so I can have a few hours of sleep. In an instant, I'm asleep, she's rolled to my side, between my arm and side - perfect smothering location - not a bad spot to get dropped off the tall bedside either. Hubby comes out of his relaxing shower, and asks me - more than a little spooked - where's baby! Wakes me up, I'm panicing in an instant - and she's fine, had enough space to breathe. I had convinced myself (sleep deprivation) that I wouldn't go to sleep in that position, not with my daughter in that position, that I could close my eyes to relieve the burning and not go to sleep - all kinds of stupid things I'd never think when properly awake.

Yeah, a bad mistake, and she could have ended up dead. And if that had happened, I'd be miserable, but I don't think I'd deserve to be condemned so far, nor to be criminally charged.

I'm sleep deprived, trying to put baby down, but he won't sleep without the pacifier in his mouth. I keep putting it in, in a haze, he keeps almost sleeping then it falls out and he wakes again. I use tape (sleep deprived poor reasoning or whatever). Baby and me fall asleep. I wake up, and see baby looking wrong - color, can't see that he's breathing. I tear the pacifier off to see - he's not breathing, he's cold, I can't get him to breathe - I have to realize he's dead. I call my fiancee - he says to call 911 - maybe he's hoping, maybe I'm hoping somehow I'm wrong.

That's my scenario anyway.

Just a little after my daughter was born, she was a few weeks old. It's morning, I'm exhausted, she's woken up. I pick her up and put her on my chest (she sleeps better there), prop myself up so I'll stay awake while my husband has his shower, after which he'll take her so I can have a few hours of sleep. In an instant, I'm asleep, she's rolled to my side, between my arm and side - perfect smothering location - not a bad spot to get dropped off the tall bedside either. Hubby comes out of his relaxing shower, and asks me - more than a little spooked - where's baby! Wakes me up, I'm panicing in an instant - and she's fine, had enough space to breathe. I had convinced myself (sleep deprivation) that I wouldn't go to sleep in that position, not with my daughter in that position, that I could close my eyes to relieve the burning and not go to sleep - all kinds of stupid things I'd never think when properly awake.

Yeah, a bad mistake, and she could have ended up dead. And if that had happened, I'd be miserable, but I don't think I'd deserve to be condemned so far, nor to be criminally charged.
the big diff here.... you did not think let me shove her down here cuz she will finaly let me get some sleep. i have been there. so sleepy i cried when the baby did and actually begged a baby to please sleep. did the baby understand a word i was saying? not at all. i still begged. so tired i was scarred i would not wake if the baby cried and i was on the other side of the room. i actually slept in the floor under her bassinet so i was sure to hear her. omg what if i had rolled over and knocked it over. i just wanted to sleep. a careless mistake because you are so sleepy your brain dont work i get. making the choice to tie your childs arms then tape a pacifier in its mouth i just dont get. will lack of sleep make you more careless? yes. will it make you more likely to abuse? yes. to me this mom stepped over the line. unless she is shown to have a real low IQ i just cant get past the details.

When our oldest was born , he was in NICU for six weeks. 10 days after he was born, he had to be transferred to Sick Kids Hospital because the "regular" hospital discovered he had air in his bowel which is a life threatening condition and they did not have the staff nor expertise to operate on a new born in case something happened.

Well to make a long story short, our son was on three different anitbiotics and could not have anything by mouth. Sick kids developed a a nutrition solution(like soft butter)years ago that provides complete nutrition for a baby. He was fed this by IV. They did tape a pacifier to his mouth, but he was on a 24 hour watch by one nurse. A 10 days old baby natural reaction is to suck, and he could not suck a bottle or breast feed. Or have any food orally.

After a week, he went back to the other hospital, and finally after six weeks he came home.

But I guess the difference was: A nurse watched him 24/7, he was never left alone and they taped the pacifier to "soothe" him. They did take it out and it was not left in place 24/7, just when they felt he needed to be soothed.

I'd first try to save her - 911 can't do anything for the next few minutes no matter what, and those minutes might be critical. She's cold, unresponsive, I'd take the pacifier out, see if she's breathing, maybe try CPR in that initial panic - I'd be in complete denial no matter how obviously dead. Then, I'd call 911 (probably while attempting CPR), then my husband. If I realize she's dead (first minute to first 10), the priority changes - husband first then 911 (no way he hears that from anyone but me). So - how soon I realize it makes the order of calls (I don't know what it was - didn't read that in the article I read) for me. I still call 911 no matter what - again, if there's any hope, any at all, I can't not take it.

I know children have drowned, been dead (ice water hibernation), and been brought back - so I'd not stop hoping - even knowing it's denial, for a fair while.

The 911 call indicates someone else calling and the mother supposedly doing CPR. The 911 person says she can't be doing it right with all that screaming she is doing. The caller tries to take over doing CPR...but the mother won't let them!

That's what gets me.

I agree. She had also tied the baby's arms to his sides with pajamas because she couldn't locate his swaddling blanket. Did she know nothing at all about child care or safety? Did she care about anything but keeping this baby quiet? She's nineteen, not five.

I'm 53, and I've got a little sleep suit that I wore when I was an infant----it has little snaps to keep the baby's hands down by the sides, presumably so the baby wouldn't scratch herself or something. Mom is horrified when she sees that little suit now, but back then I guess it was widely accepted.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatHappenedToJAB
Back