WA WA - Seattle, WhtFem 30-50, 159UFWA, alias 'Mary Anderson', copper IUD, breast surgery scars, Oct'96

I am not familiar with Seattle in the fall, it is generally cold enough to be wearing gloves? If not, then she had to have come from a place where it was cold enough to wear gloves, as they were found with her.

I used to go to Seattle every fall for my job. I found it to be mild, not glove weather. According to Seattletravel.com the average high temperature in October is 60 degrees. Cityrating.com says 52. However if she came from the mountainous region just to the east of Seattle it could be much colder.

hmg, ha, thanks. I guess I dreamed up 2005. Maybe I was looking at an article about her printed in 05. Duh, some days ya feel like a nut...

Hahaha, I make the same types of mistakes all the time going through these cases. :crazy:

I just noticed the gloves were from Nordstrom. Nordstrom is based in Seattle and had a limited presence outside of the west coast/ Alaska at the time. A catalog division began in 1993 so it's possible the gloves were ordered from there. However, given Nordstrom's strong presence in Seattle I think it's a good bet the gloves were purchased there. It's a huge tourist attraction though so it's possible she was not a local and bought the gloves while shopping in the city.

Rpipergirl, some of her belongings do seem odd, especially the bowl and iron that you mentioned. Bringing the iron may have been an old habit as she seemed like she'd been well-groomed throughout her life, but her outfits were velour and does that fabric even require ironing? Unless the iron was for the black top and leggings she died wearing...

The bowl is strange. I wonder if it had sentimental value or was especially valuable and she knew her belongings back at home would eventually be discarded when she failed to return, so she brought it with her. You think she'd give it to a close friend if she truly had no family rather than let it sit in a police evidence room, though.
Tatertot, I agree it could have ment something to her but why wouldn't she have had it out of her luggage. Also I wonder if she was murdered. Maybe she did not know the cyinide was in her Metamucil or Crystal Light. I agree that she would not have brought so many clothes if she was just going to kill herself. You are right about the valuer ,who the heck would iron it.

How about this missing lady, when I saw her photo, I almost fell over!!
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/488dfny.html
Sandra Ann Sollie
Missing since May 23, 1994 from Macedon, New York.
Classification: Endangered Missing
Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: December 10, 1955
Age at Time of Disappearance: 38 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5"; 130-140 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown eyes; dark brown hair.
Marks, Scars: Birthmark on abdomen. Scar on upper lip. Pierced ears.
Medical Conditions: Sollie was about seven months pregnant.
AKA: Sandy, Sandra Cervone

Ms. Sollie was also 7 months pregnant when she went missing!! What if Ms. Sollie travelled somewhere to give birth to her child (which would've been around July or August 1994) and hand the baby over for adoption, went to Seattle perhaps, then suffered from depression, checked into a hospital or something for awhile, tried to get her life in order and then.......

Here's the side by sides-Jane is in the middle!!

Attachments

• Copy of SandraAnnSollie missing 5-23-94 NY.jpg
    Copy of SandraAnnSollie missing 5-23-94 NY.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 398
Actually, there were Nordstrom stores in Alaska and Southern CA by the late 1970's, and had 26 stores in CA by the early 1990's. They also opened a store in Virginia in 1988, one in Illinois by 1991, and Dallas by 1996. According to Wiki, Nordstroms had opened 46 stores across the country by 1995. (I used to work for a travel agency in New York in the early 1990's, and Nordstroms was one of our corporate accounts. Travelers went all over the country.) Perhaps she bought them in Seattle, but if she had luggage etc, then most likely she brought them with her.

I just noticed the gloves were from Nordstrom. Nordstrom is based in Seattle and had a limited presence outside of the west coast/ Alaska at the time. A catalog division began in 1993 so it's possible the gloves were ordered from there. However, given Nordstrom's strong presence in Seattle I think it's a good bet the gloves were purchased there. It's a huge tourist attraction though so it's possible she was not a local and bought the gloves while shopping in the city.

Actually, there were Nordstrom stores in Alaska and Southern CA by the late 1970's, and had 26 stores in CA by the early 1990's. They also opened a store in Virginia in 1988, one in Illinois by 1991, and Dallas by 1996. According to Wiki, Nordstroms had opened 46 stores across the country by 1995. (I used to work for a travel agency in New York in the early 1990's, and Nordstroms was one of our corporate accounts. Travelers went all over the country.) Perhaps she bought them in Seattle, but if she had luggage etc, then most likely she brought them with her.

I misspoke in saying the gloves were probably from Seattle. My point really was that Nordstom had a very limited presence outside of the west coast/ Alaska except for catalog shipping and a few stores until very recently. Coupled with the fact that her glasses may be from Bon Marche, another Seattle based retailer with a limited presence outside of the west, it may be a valuable point to consider.

Then again she could have ordered her gloves from Nordstrom and gone to JC Penny for the glasses. It's too bad we can't find out exactly which chain she bought the glasses at.

From what we know about this woman, I would say she was methodical, meticulous, and cared very much about her appearance, but not to the extent that she would give up wearing comfortable clothing.

Velour was quite popular in the plus size shops, and most often used in casual sporting wear for a dressier than gym clothing look, but with the comfort of sweats. It can be made from cotton or polyester according to Wikipedia. Neither of those fabrics lend themselves to keeping a person warm in cold weather.

The iron suggests two things to me. Either she was traveling or she was obsessive compulsive about wrinkles in her clothing, and likely obsessive about other things.

I would expect to find her working in accounting or some other very detail oriented job, but not in a front office capacity in say, the financial district in New York. Her clothing does not speak to front office apparel or to working in a place where a company is trying to impress its clients.

Had she been from NY wouldn't her accent have been noticed in Seattle? No mention was made of an accent if IIRC.

If this woman had no close relatives or friends, was single, had lost her job, she might not have been missed by anyone, sadly.

On the subject of suicide, I have some experience since that's how my late husband died. People who commit suicide in the home usually have some resentment or grudge against the marriage partner or person they were living with. OTOH those who leave home to die, do so wanting to spare the person they lived with in the twisted thinking of a suicidal person. My husband left home.

This leads me to consider that she did leave someone who cared behind or else she was such a hermit, she was afraid no one would find her for a long time if she died in her own home so she chose a hotel, knowing when she didn't check out in the usual manner, she would be discovered quickly. Even in death, she was concerned about her appearance. The fact that she left a note stating that
"it's no one's fault," tells me there was an important someone or important others in her life.

Not all people who commit suicide are depressed. Sometimes it's an easy way out of a life situation they simply just don't want to face. It's the 9th. leading cause of death in the US.

I wanted to add another possibility that Ms. Sollie could be this Jane, regarding the kitchen bowl, Ms. Sollies little dog (a poodle) went missing with her, maybe that was the point for having kept a bowl in the room. Jane may have needed a bowl for food and water for a pet! If the pet had just died, that could be a reason for depression and feeling hopeless! I know, I had a beloved pet pass away, just last March, and I still get teary eyed and miss him dearly! I have wonderful children and the sweetest grands, though, to keep me busy and laughing....:blowkiss:
So, even if Ms. Sollie is ruled out, the bowl being for a pet, should still be considered.
I am going to go ahead and email this info to Ms. Sollies investigator, it couldn't hurt, right? It may also help in getting both cases back in the light!

Madea, this Jane Doe had never given birth. She was also 5'8" tall, and weighed 240lbs.

I've taken the only photo we have, and have done a little touch up work. Hey, I ain't no ar-Tiest" so if you think it should go back into file 13 alrighty. I've done this before with one or two others, but feel a bit more confident to display this one. It's by no means perfect. All I try to do is to give the person a smile, and make them look a little lively. I was surprised as she suddenly looked years younger after removing the dark circles under her eyes. She kind of looks like Hillary Clinton. I made tiny alterations to the lower corners of her eyes removing a bit of that sagging eye look.

Attachments

• 159UFWA2.jpg
    159UFWA2.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 273
  • 159UFWA2.jpg2.jpg
    159UFWA2.jpg2.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 232
I think I've worn out my photo manipulation software, it's stopped working.
So, I can't post a side by side here but found Diane Marie Kennedy interesting. There are discrepencies (like height being off by several inches) but I see a resemblence in the face.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/kennedy_diane.html

Madea, this Jane Doe had never given birth. She was also 5'8" tall, and weighed 240lbs.
:eek: I apologize, I haven't seen that info in my searches, could you, please,please give me a better link to peruse? TIA!!:waitasec:

Re: Differences in Janes weight, Ms. Sollie could've gained alot of weight during pregnancy also and was not able to lose it. IDK, just a theory! Re: Janes height, Ms. Sollie is listed as 5'5", not a great discrepancy, IMO!!

I was mainly looking at their facial similarities!

I think I've worn out my photo manipulation software, it's stopped working.
So, I can't post a side by side here but found Diane Marie Kennedy interesting. There are discrepencies (like height being off by several inches) but I see a resemblence in the face.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/kennedy_diane.html

I wonder how accurate Ms. Kennedys missing date is? Jane was found on 10-11-1996, Ms. Kennedys reported last seen date is 12-31-96??? I wonder where she would be traveling on New Years Eve????

Justthinkin: Is the above link where you read? About no birth?

She was about 5 foot 7 and approximately 240 pounds. She had short, brownish hair and brown eyes. She was likely between age 33 and 45. She had never borne children.

Ms. Sollie could've lost the child (another reason for depression)before she disappeared or shortly after or if baby was premature, could produce no signs of having give birth!!

BTW!! Thanks defender123!! I clicked on the link at doenetwork, but couldn't get it to come up!!
I am going to go peruse some newspaper archives now!!

I wonder how accurate Ms. Kennedys missing date is? Jane was found on 10-11-1996, Ms. Kennedys reported last seen date is 12-31-96??? I wonder where she would be traveling on New Years Eve????

I know there can be inaccuracies and mistakes in the information provided so despite the inconsistencies I thought I'd post her, just in case.

I've since found sites that state Ms. Kennedy's eyes are blue, not brown as stated in my previous link. That's one more strike against her being this particular Jane Doe.

Ok, got my photo software working and was able to do a side by side with Diane Marie Kennedy, so you can get a better idea of why I suggested her despite the inconsistencies.

wamadmk.jpg

I do not think this is Sandra Sollie, but that is JMO, and I will tell you why:

She lived in the town right next to the one I grew up in, and I in fact lived there when she went missing. I know several people who either knew her or knew of her. She actually went missing within a few days of a little girl from Rochester who also went missing; the little girls father used to work with Sandra Sollie. There was "talk" that Sandra may have been involved in Kayleighs disappearance. Later, it was found that Sandra was not involved; a sex offender neighbor had taken the little girl (Kayleigh Ann Poultin) and killed her, but they did not find her body for two yrs.

I do not believe it says so on Doe, but the local news at the time Sandra went missing, felt that there was foul play with her disappearance, and perhaps even the father of the baby was involved, who, if I remember correctly, was married to someone else at that time. The Mary Anderson Doe seems older than Sandra, and one of the articles states that it appeared that she had not given birth--Dr's would know if she had been at all pregnant, and Sandra was 8-9 monthes at the time of her disappearance (her family had just had a baby shower for her). Sandra was quite a bit thinner than Mary Anderson too. Lastly, the town Sandra lived in was not an affluent place, and the house she lived was even in a lower class area. I do not think she had the money to afford the expensive clothes, gloves etc. that Mary Anderson had--she just did not have that kind of money, she lived a meager life, from what I understand. Again, this is JMO, but I really do not think this is Sandra.
How about this missing lady, when I saw her photo, I almost fell over!!
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/488dfny.html

Ms. Sollie was also 7 months pregnant when she went missing!! What if Ms. Sollie travelled somewhere to give birth to her child (which would've been around July or August 1994) and hand the baby over for adoption, went to Seattle perhaps, then suffered from depression, checked into a hospital or something for awhile, tried to get her life in order and then.......

Here's the side by sides-Jane is in the middle!!

Ms. Kennedy weighed considerably less than Mary Anderson, and went missing after Mary Anderson was found. JMO

I know there can be inaccuracies and mistakes in the information provided so despite the inconsistencies I thought I'd post her, just in case.

I've since found sites that state Ms. Kennedy's eyes are blue, not brown as stated in my previous link. That's one more strike against her being this particular Jane Doe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back