WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was there no other businesses that might have a pay phone in that area? Was it essentially a residential area? It's just another curious thing that she'd take a chance calling upon a stranger's house rather than keep looking for a pay phone.

There aren't many payphones anymore. Many phone companies are ripping them out.

Thankyou Bobcat for understanding. I thought- ABOVE- the high tide line made it clear. Yesterday there was a backpack(full of sand) shoes are common, tis the windy season, lots of debris. In a couple of days when the debris is dry and less yukky and dryed excess sand can be easily removed, i'll do a trash run.
I feel the need to defend myself, so thanks for the welcome.

In regardeds to knowing the tides, i understand the rythem but unless i'm fishing (need high tide fishing off a dock) i would not know where in the cycle we are -as in highest lowest. I don't think in the dark Shantina could of figured where the tide was, nor do i think she even took it into consideration. People losing their car or tent in warmer climates is not uncommon.
If i woke to water in car, i would first go to open door, but if there was pressure , i'd panic then hit the buttons to open side and back hatch. Did you guys figure out if they were push button open???
I will try to write with more clarity, i know i'm not good at it.

nao, I didn't know you had signed in and posted so you have probably already seen the past posts - I have changed mine to an apology also. I am sorry.

I think I envisioned someone throwing thrash out when the tide was going out - so the trash ended up being pulled out, "past the high tide line", if that even makes sense. Rather than you saying you toss it up onto the sand - above the high tide line - which does make perfect sense. :blushing:

You know, if LE finds out she was looking up tide info on her computer this could change, but you make a really good point. I grew up and lived almost my entire life on the ocean - I never paid any attention to tides and if I parked on the beach day or night I would not have a clue, if it was not posted where not to park. In the dark, unless she "knew what she was doing" SS could easily be the same.

We saw the van has the delay head lights - that comes with:

Dodge Caravan 2005:
Other Options
Keyless Entry w/Immobilizer
Includes integrated sentry key with remote keyless buttons and engine immobilizer on the fixed key head.
Illuminated Entry
Headlamp Off Time Delay

I can think of two really good possible reasons they only have 1 key:

Robb said his parents 'gave them the car to use for road trips' and spoke of how careful Kat was with the car. (She didn't even smoke in the car) It is possible the folks "gave it to them to use" while it "legally" still belongs to Robbs parents to use for the same purpose - so they could be in possession of the other key.

or (and this is the reason I only have 1 key to a pre-owned car)

I bought it used from the dealership - it only came with 1 key, it has the keyless entry and the above options - (it's not a dodge) To purchase another key is over $300.00 - I kind of figured only one person uses it at a time - I'll make do.

Mine does not have the option of making "just a key" without the electronic entry. I tried finding this info from Dodge on line but they only want to share if I share personal info with them.
:cow:

The one time when she really needed her cell, and she forgot it. With as much time as was spent being lost, I would have gave up and headed back home.

I recall in the timeline of events that SS, just prior to knocking on the door of the DW house, had pulled up the the Gull Harbor Mercantile, but its pay phone was out of order.

Was there no other businesses that might have a pay phone in that area? Was it essentially a residential area? It's just another curious thing that she'd take a chance calling upon a stranger's house rather than keep looking for a pay phone.

Come to think of it, though, I imagine that there are a lot less pay phones nowadays because most people have no need due to the proliferation of cell phones.

No idea, of course, but I wonder if when she drove up to the DW house she happened to see them through a window (in addition to the Christian car decal), and just got those indefinable feelings of trustworthiness by looking at them.

It's just that I find it sad what I read the aunt of AC had said about SS: "I think she was just being a silly, stupid woman who trusted the wrong people." I wonder if this aunt regrets the way her words came out--it made me wince a bit..

At any rate, I feel SS's instincts were right---I don't get any sense from DW family that they were anything but kind to her and her son. I'm glad AC had this last bit of kindness from this family; I'll bet he enjoyed that pizza, as all kids do! :(

The aunt of AC also said in another interview about her bad choice in men. Sorry no link right now -- too late to search for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500