WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, back to the topic....

In Alaska, there are many names with the vik spelling at the end which could mean that it is possible this is really his name. I read many documents while checking into tribes, language, and other things in Alaska which made me realize this. Perhaps the author of the book coincidentally came up with the name and it has no relation to Lyle.

I had not considered the fisherman theory. However, he doesn't look like the "rugged" type to me. If he had just returned from a working ship...I would think he would have bruises, marks, cuts, etc. from the type of work they do. They didn't mention any calloused hands or evidence he did manual labor.

There were 2 busses which arrived at the time Lyle did. The drivers didn't recall him being on either one. (Again, I think Lyle was very distinct in appearance and they would have noticed him.) If he didn't take a bus...how could he have gotten to this motel? He didn't have a car. He didn't have a bike. Someone could have dropped him off. Could the person have known Lyle or was Lyle hitchhiking? Either way, an argument could have happened and the person stranded him without his bag or possessions.

It's interesting. I was warned by several people here that people from this board had power and control issues. I decided to brush that off, because I didn't believe that people would get caught up in that behavior to the detriment of finding out who this person was. If you read my post, the flier was copied exactly off the page on the Doe Network and there are no detailed autopsy photos on the flier. The Doe Network page is PUBLIC DOMAIN. Anyone can see it at any time. We can sit here and discuss this case for 100 more pages or we can use the resources we have to get this information to people who may not normally see it. That's my take on this. This person is dead and there is nothing that can be done to bring him back. If his relatives don't know this, then they deserve to know. Yes, that's a painful thought. But it is more painful for someone NOT to know what happened to their loved one, IMO.

I think I am going to take a break from this thread. All the control issues, veiled insults, conspiracy theories and accusations about law enforcement being impersonated are rather disturbing to me.

To all the people who offered to buy stamps, THANK YOU. I will keep in touch with you via PM.

My post had nothing to do with power or control - I am in no way trying to forcibly stop you from the flier idea. I merely stated my opinion. Mail away and good luck. I hope you solve it as everyone here just wants to see this man ID'ed.

Seriously, I don't know much about the fishing industry, but from the Discovery Show or whatever, it looks like very physically demanding work and that they are out to sea for long periods of time? May well account for his weight loss? And, my crisp money fascination -maybe he had just cashed a paycheck??

Also, in regard to him not being on either of the buses, maybe someone did "dump" him out and he was waiting for that person to return for him (pacing by the road before his death), this person never showed back up, he's distraught and takes his life. I too have always felt that he was gay.

Seriously, I don't know much about the fishing industry, but from the Discovery Show or whatever, it looks like very physically demanding work and that they are out to sea for long periods of time? May well account for his weight loss? And, my crisp money fascination -maybe he had just cashed a paycheck??

Also, in regard to him not being on either of the buses, maybe someone did "dump" him out and he was waiting for that person to return for him (pacing by the road before his death), this person never showed back up, he's distraught and takes his life. I too have always felt that he was gay.
If someone did ditch him...maybe he/she gave him the crisp bills beforehand.

I hope you solve it as everyone here just wants to see this man ID'ed.

I think this is part of the problem here. I am not trying to get credit for "solving" this. I did not even put my name on the fliers. The readers of the fliers are directed to LE, just like they are on the Doe Network page. This is about putting the information OUT there for people to see, many of whom may be in remote areas and may not have access to this information. It's not about egos, conspiracy theories or earning brownie points. This is about a human being, IMO, who obviously felt alone enough in life that he ended things and concealed his identity. He did that for a reason, because he did not want people who KNEW HIM to find him. People who suffer from depression often feel afraid and isolated even when there are people around them that care deeply about them. This man has relatives or friends somewhere who don't know what happened to him, IMO.

Also, I apologize for my earlier post, it was not entirely directed at you, Lisa. I was just a bit floored by the negativity being thrown around-- not to mention the outrageous accusations by others in this thread.

This mailing of the Doe flier may not generate anything but it was worth a try, since it appears the idea has not already been tried.

Back to my cave now.
:cool:

We all want to solve this mystery! It doesn't matter how we go about it if the end result is finding out who this person was and where he came from!

Keep up the good work, everyone!

I'm back to my post of the crisp money. That had not been on him for any length of time or it would have been rumpled. I think LE needs to check local banks and such to see if he was in there either cashing a paycheck, exchanging currency or whatever - it may give some clues.

He could have gotten crisp money from an ATM. Wonder if there was one nearby.

I think the fliers are a very good idea. I also think it is very nice of rmf to do this. I don't care what it takes to find out who this man was if somebody wants to go out of their way to do something that might help identify this man then go for it!! I have felt all along that the money he left came from the ATM machine since it was so crisp. If he cashed a check at a bank he would of had to have an account there. I think they should check the withdrawals from the ATM's that day and the day before in the area. One more thing they should check is the video tape from the ATM machine if there was one or the bank cameras.

ccm stated long ago that at the time he checked with bank's near by and no one remembered seeing him.I have serious doubt's he was involved in fishing,he was not tanned like you would expect a fisherman to be,his fingernail's where well kept,neat and trim.Go for it with the flyer's,no on is stopping you.ccm was a great asset.don't blame his if he has read about people doubting his position for not wanting to come back.Previous message's have stated he is a busy man.cheer's to you ccm

The money could have come from a number of places. When businesses buy change for a working day, they often obtain new bills from the bank. When he purchased the newspaper or anything else...the bills could have been given to him as change.

I don't hold out hope on finding out where the crisp bills came from myself because there are too many avenues for us to go down to track them.

The newspaper, imo, is the best lead we have in that room besides Jock himself.

i wonder if the investigator's kept a record of the serial number's on the note's?Can't they trace a bank where the money came from that way?

I don't know I think the only way is to push his photo. We only have two genetic clues and they don't really help. Guessing his heritage isn't really all that useful because to many groups of people can have them. The backpack theroy isn't much help either unless someone tested throwing another in but then it would be a guess at location he chose to throw it in. There are always the woods as well and if it was there who is to say by now someone hadn't found it and disposed of it. Tracing serials might work depending how long they kept them. If you have ever heard of wheresgeorge.com you will see money travels and which place do you check first at any rate.The accent is a bit tricky because in some of the northern states they tend to sound Candian(like Wisconsin and there are a few more). I am going to research some of the Northern newspapers and see about sending some flyers to them.

if they had done a search with the money straight away they probably would have had some luck.not now it has been to long.unfortunately no one really know's if he had an accent at all.It is had for any one where i come from as we only have six state's across our whole country and an Australian accent is standard pretty much.

have been researching up on Washington,gray's harbor and,quinault and amanda park so i would have a better idea of the area this happened.I believe previously posted the address he gave the motel was another motel.1019 s.progress ave meridian idaho.i am curious as to weather or not they sent o photo of him to them or not,when this happened!:dance:

to my understanding they did and they didn't remember him it's really close to Boise though from what I could tell from the map with an air port and bus depot around the area I didn't check on trains though

he must have been familiar with Washington to have found both hotel's like that,and stay at one and use the other as a false address.I had no idea how big n&s America really was.Australia all over has a population of roughly 20million

well, he might have been a business person who travelled a lot which could explain his smooth hands. I am not certain of the hobbies up there but that could be how he knew where Amanda Park is and as far as the other hotel in Idaho he may have stayed there long before but I think it is one of those that give you the thick book with other locations and address in case you need them again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500