WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Charley project is updating their layout and there will be some bugs to deal with. Meaghan is working through these kinks.

Thank you, for this information about the Charley project, aThousandYearsWide and carbuff, for being so inspiring in 2018!

Sorry folks ... some posts have been removed. Information from a social media site such as Reddit is not to be linked to or discussed and relied upon here. Reddit is not a WS approved site to source information from as they do not have the same controls that exist here. Stick to official documentation (i.e. LE, MSM, NAMUS, etc) for the facts.

:wave:

Sorry folks ... some posts have been removed. Information from a social media site such as Reddit is not to be linked to or discussed and relied upon here. Reddit is not a WS approved site to source information from as they do not have the same controls that exist here. Stick to official documentation (i.e. LE, MSM, NAMUS, etc) for the facts.

:wave:

As I recall right we were discussing a spreadsheet from another site. No professional rule out, bias. If we want to discuss a possible match to Lyle this site is in the way, because no matter who is behind it, and I'm sure they have the best intentions, there is no LE or scientific evidence to do so. Just my opinion: It irritates me that a certain kind of group decides it's a rule out or not. It's not right and people should be aware of this.

Colleen Fitzpatrick has taken on the case!!!! Yayyy, it's the first of her DoeFundMe project. She is sending his DNA for sequencing super soon.

Colleen Fitzpatrick has taken on the case!!!! Yayyy, it's the first of her DoeFundMe project. She is sending his DNA for sequencing super soon.

They are going to start taking donations this weekend and it's not on eBay...

How do you know that Colleen has taken on the case? If so, that is so, so exciting!

Also, is there a link to Doe Fund Me project? The link sent earlier appears to be a link to ebay.

Hi folks, Someone told me about these recent posts so I registered in order to make some corrections. Colleen Fitzpatrick and I have recently started DNA Doe Project – our website (under construction) is dnadoeproject.org. Our purpose is to tackle unidentified John and Jane Does by raising funds for specialized lab testing of their DNA, then attempting to locate their families as we do when we help adoptees looking for theirs. We are working on three cases at the moment and just agreed to take on Lyle Stevik as our fourth. The ME is making arrangements to get the sample to the lab to test its quality and concentration. We have been providing details to the Reddit group and Facebook group “Can You Identify Lyle Stevik” today and people are already pledging donations to cover the expensive sequencing needed in cases like these. (He can’t spit in a vial and do and Ancestry DNA test.) We are accepting donations toward existing and future cases (by check, until paypal is set up – see our website dnadoeproject.org) but are telling people to hold off on donations earmarked specifically for Lyle, until we know the DNA is good enough to proceed. That will NOT be this weekend – more likely a couple of weeks. We’ll update all the forums and our website when we have those results. The good news is, if the DNA is sufficient, we’ve nearly reached our funding goal in the few hours since our involvement was posted.

We do want everyone to understand that the odds of successful identification are not huge – there are many challenges with these sorts of cases. So each is a gamble. We’ve put in our own funds as well. The cause is so worth it, and even a slim chance of success where CODIS and tips and all else have failed, would be phenomenal.

Thank you for your interest,

Margaret Press, PhD
Cofounder DNA Doe Project.

(trying to make a correction to someone's earlier post but unable to do so. All the corrections are in my post above.)

Hi folks, Someone told me about these recent posts so I registered in order to make some corrections. Colleen Fitzpatrick and I have recently started DNA Doe Project – our website (under construction) is dnadoeproject.org. Our purpose is to tackle unidentified John and Jane Does by raising funds for specialized lab testing of their DNA, then attempting to locate their families as we do when we help adoptees looking for theirs. We are working on three cases at the moment and just agreed to take on Lyle Stevik as our fourth. The ME is making arrangements to get the sample to the lab to test its quality and concentration. We have been providing details to the Reddit group and Facebook group “Can You Identify Lyle Stevik” today and people are already pledging donations to cover the expensive sequencing needed in cases like these. (He can’t spit in a vial and do and Ancestry DNA test.) We are accepting donations toward existing and future cases (by check, until paypal is set up – see our website dnadoeproject.org) but are telling people to hold off on donations earmarked specifically for Lyle, until we know the DNA is good enough to proceed. That will NOT be this weekend – more likely a couple of weeks. We’ll update all the forums and our website when we have those results. The good news is, if the DNA is sufficient, we’ve nearly reached our funding goal in the few hours since our involvement was posted.

We do want everyone to understand that the odds of successful identification are not huge – there are many challenges with these sorts of cases. So each is a gamble. We’ve put in our own funds as well. The cause is so worth it, and even a slim chance of success where CODIS and tips and all else have failed, would be phenomenal.

Margaret Press, PhD

Thank you for posting. I like this initiative very much. Happy to see that two pro's are behind this. Margaret and Colleen (DNA Doe Project) I wish you both lot's of success in identifying some long lost Jane and John Does.

I’m focusing on Columbia and other South American missing people. I recently watched a program and I was struck by the uncanny resemblance with one character,

Margaret Press, PhD

Thanks so much for taking on Doe cases!

http://dnadoeproject.org

Sorry I messed up that link - here is the one I meant to post: http://dnadoeproject.org/
Apologies, unless you want to take over my sad EBay, the other one won't do much good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500