Was Darin Routier involved in away with the murder or cover up of their boys?

Did Darin Routier help in anyway with the murder of his son's?

• Darin helped Darlie murder the boys

Votes: 35 11.4%
  • Darin helped Darlie cover up the murder of their boys

Votes: 142 46.3%
  • Darin took the sock and placed it in the Alley

Votes: 22 7.2%
  • Darin was innocent and had nothing to do with his son's deaths

Votes: 108 35.2%

• Total voters
Why doesn't Darlie blow the whistle on him then? Wish she would.

halycon ,In her habeas corpus petition that her attorney filed, Ms. Routier set out a variety of facts suggesting that Darin Routier was responsible for the murders and the assault, by acting alone or by hiring another person to commit the crime.

halycon said:
Why doesn't Darlie blow the whistle on him then? Wish she would.

How can she now? She would be opening herself up to having to admit that she lied. Can't do that now.

Jeana (DP) said:
How can she now? She would be opening herself up to having to admit that she lied. Can't do that now.
She can if she just doesn't want to go down for it alone. She can admit her part in it, and imo should.

Goody said:
She can if she just doesn't want to go down for it alone. She can admit her part in it, and imo should.

True. Remember back during the trial, the police spokesperson hinted something to the effect that they were looking into the possibility that she didn't act alone and that if they got enough evidence, they would follow through with charges. Perhaps Darlie's testimony against Darin would be enough to at least get him arrested. Wouldn't they have to be able to charge him with murder though? I don't know off hand what the statute of limitations is on any other possible charges.

dasgal said:
It is hard to believe, isn't it, but they are both so weird about it. They both change there stories to match each others. They have done this more than once. Why?

I think one stabbed one child and the other stabbed the second child. They each stabbed one so that they were both guilty and has as much dirt on each other so that tattling wouldn't ever become an option.

less0305 said:
I think one stabbed one child and the other stabbed the second child. They each stabbed one so that they were both guilty and has as much dirt on each other so that tattling wouldn't ever become an option.

That's pretty interesting. I've never heard this theory before!!

The sink thing is really gets me!! Who cleaned it and while doing so the poor little babies are dying on the floor.. Sounds like a desperate person trying to cover up an horrendouse crime... She is so guilty....................

The Darin situation is certainly puzzling in this case.

I can't fathom why he would stay by her side if he was not involved.

On the other hand, the only evidence against him that I am aware of is his weird behavior beginning the night of the murders and continuing to this day, his failed polygraph (inadmissable in court), and the claim that he approached someone about burgling his house for insurance money.
Well, that does seem like a fair amount of evidence, but does anyone know of anything else?

Can anyone post a link to the habeus corpus motion?

The best theory that I can come up with are these:
The parents both arranged to have the boys killed, not just for the insurance money, but also to eliminate both a financial burden and a hindrance to their lifestyle of "grown-up fun".
I don't know whether they thought of this, but I wonder if D & D expected donations from well-wishers to pour in for Drake the way they seem to do for other crime victims, for example, OJ Simpson's children.
It is possible that the arrangements were made for the crime to be committed, and when the hired gun failed to show up as planned, on time, etc, Darlie lost patience and took matters into her own hands.
Or
Perhaps Darin caught her in the act and Darlie threatened that if he told on her, she would say he did it and stabbed her, too. And he probably believed that everyone would believe Darlie over him, and covered for her out of fear.
Of course, that does not really explain his continuing to support her all this time, but who knows?

Writ of Habeus Corpus can be found on one of the Darlie supporter sites, I think http://www.fordarlieroutier.org/ (try under legal).

Counting on donations to the surviving son seems a bit far-fetched. I suppose it's possible as a motive why he was left alive while the other two were killed. But then, Drake would have still been around to hinder their lifestyle of fun.

The insurance money from the two older boys didn't profit the family at all, as it basically just covered the costs of their funeral.

The house burgling story surfaced rather late in the game to have any credence with me unless it is supported by proof other than what Darlie's family says happened.

Regards,
Pea

Thank you for the link.

I know that first theory of mine is far-fetched. It is difficult to come up with a plausible theory that either implicates Darin or that explains his behavior if he had nothing to do with it.

>>The insurance money from the two older boys didn't profit the family at all, as it basically just covered the costs of their funeral. <<

I know that we keep hearing this line from Darlie's family... but just because the insurance money pretty much went towards the funeral costs doesn't mean that Darlie (or Darin) KNEW that would be the case before the boys were murdered. If money was a motive then I'm not sure that she/he/they would have stopped to consider the funeral costs.

Funeral costs are pretty much determined by the person making the arrangements. They can range from around $1,000 to an astronomical amount of money. Darlie didn't need to spend $10,000 on the funeral, but that's her way.

I have heard of this case here at Websleuths, but I have never read a thing about it until today. I have read two threads and know absolutely nothing about the family history. My first impression was that Darin hired someone to kill Darlie and the boys. My second impression was that Darlie was having an affair with someone, having sex on the couch...they got into a fight and he stabbed the children and her.

In my ingorance, I would have to go with impression number one. (My cousin's husband hired two men to murder her and she had a baby at home but thankfully they didn't kill the baby.) Perhaps my mind is slanted toward this because of this incidence in my own family, but from what I've read at this point, I have to think Darlie is most likely a victim and not a perp.

Does anyone else believe this could be so?

Nehemiah said:
I have heard of this case here at Websleuths, but I have never read a thing about it until today. I have read two threads and know absolutely nothing about the family history. My first impression was that Darin hired someone to kill Darlie and the boys. My second impression was that Darlie was having an affair with someone, having sex on the couch...they got into a fight and he stabbed the children and her.

In my ingorance, I would have to go with impression number one. (My cousin's husband hired two men to murder her and she had a baby at home but thankfully they didn't kill the baby.) Perhaps my mind is slanted toward this because of this incidence in my own family, but from what I've read at this point, I have to think Darlie is most likely a victim and not a perp.

Does anyone else believe this could be so?
If the first idea is true , why didn't the perp use the knife on Darlie the same
way it was used on the boys. Straight into the heart & more than one wound.
Why change up on Darlie & decide to cut her throat? If she was on the couch
seems straight to the chest wounds would be easiest.

SJP said:
If the first idea is true , why didn't the perp use the knife on Darlie the same
way it was used on the boys. Straight into the heart & more than one wound.
Why change up on Darlie & decide to cut her throat? If she was on the couch
seems straight to the chest wounds would be easiest.

Good questions and I have no answers! Perhaps she was fighting him, thus the bruises on her arms, and kept him at bay. Are the boys' autopsies on line or at least a good description of their wounds?

The autopsy reports can be found at www.fordarlieroutier.org

The killer of the boys knew how to inflict mortal wounds. Darlie claims that she was the intended target of the attack and that she was attacked first. It's my belief that had the killer wanted Darlie dead, that would have been no problem.

Since Darlie is now pointing the finger in Darin's direction, is he still standing by her? Has anyone heard anything out of him lately?

NewMom2003 said:
Since Darlie is now pointing the finger in Darin's direction, is he still standing by her? Has anyone heard anything out of him lately?

NewMom, had he come out against her in any way, shape or form, it would make for big news in these parts, and I haven't heard anything of the kind. So, my guess is that he's keeping his mouth shut - for now!!

I think Darlie and Darin had a type of codependent, toxic relationship, similar to alcoholic-enabler relationships. I'm no psychologist, though, so take that for what it's worth.

I do think it's possible that they both planned and/or participated in the crime, and I wonder if the baby was an intended victim, too. Then, perhaps, when Darlie began bleeding like crazy from the neck wound she called 911 earlier than planned to get medical attention for herself. Then maybe Darin had to hurry the cleaning up and the baby was spared.

Pure wild speculation on my part, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back