Wedding Gift Amount Deemed Insufficient By Bad-Mannered Bride

I've known a couple of Bridezillas... my ex-SIL held a grudge against her first mother-in-law for giving her what she deemed was a "cheap" washer & dryer, as a wedding gift. Even after she divorced out of the family, she STILL held that over the poor MIL's head. It was bizarre! Then there's the acquaintance on Facebook that posted "read between the line" kind of statuses that pretty much spelled out the fact that she was not very happy with the quantity and quality of gifts she received from a little bridal shower her co-workers gave her. Don't know what it is about a wedding, but it sure can bring out the ugly in people.

Welcome back.

If someone insists on a lavish wedding and expects a certain priced gift they should put it on the invitation. Then people can decide if it's worth it or not. JMO

Yeah, or just offer tickets for sale. They might be surprised how few people would be willing to pay to attend their wedding.

I've been asked to be part of wedding parties which would cost me 1) dress, 2) shoes, 3) travel expenses, and of course, 4) time. I declined (except my BFFs wedding in frickin' Timbuktu) but always would be at wedding (sometimes)/reception (always). My true friends understood/understand.

I always give Woodstock wind chimes as wedding gifts regardless of a registry. I feel my presence is gift enough (LOL)! IMHO it's the responsibility of the Bride/Groom's family to fund the experience. Budgeting a wedding beyond your means is stoopyd (IMHO) -- sets the MARRIAGE up for failure.

The last wedding I went to this summer I took pictures, edited them, printed some, and gave the couple a DVD of what I snapped. They LOVED it!

can't STAND bridezillas! i'm getting married at the end of this month. we're having a very small wedding with mostly only immediate family. i'm wearing my mom's wedding dress and we've kept the budget under $1,000. anyways, my future sister-in-law (fiance's sis) asked me about the dress she wanted to wear, if it was an ok color, etc. i'm like ummmm wear whatever you want! do some brides seriously make a big deal over these things? i'm so glad her family is coming out for the wedding (they live in another country) and couldn't care less about what they wear!

Several years ago, DH and I were invited to a late July wedding that was, by far, the largest gathering for such an event that we had ever seen. The small church (historical site) was packed to the gills and much too hot because it had no a/c. Many guests couldn't even get inside the tiny church, and DH and I would have gladly forfeited our seats had we known about the crowd outdoors :D The wedding party was huge (7 bridesmaids/7 groomsmen, and a handful of little ones - flower girls/ring bearers). The reception was at a large hall and was attended by nearly 400 people! DH and I didn't even know that many people when we got married 42 years ago :blushing:

Long story short: By Christmastime that year, the couple were already separated, and divorce followed shortly thereafter. So much for gala weddings and happily ever after.

I've been asked to be part of wedding parties which would cost me 1) dress, 2) shoes, 3) travel expenses, and of course, 4) time. I declined (except my BFFs wedding in frickin' Timbuktu) but always would be at wedding (sometimes)/reception (always). My true friends understood/understand.

I always give Woodstock wind chimes as wedding gifts regardless of a registry. I feel my presence is gift enough (LOL)! IMHO it's the responsibility of the Bride/Groom's family to fund the experience. Budgeting a wedding beyond your means is stoopyd (IMHO) -- sets the MARRIAGE up for failure.

The last wedding I went to this summer I took pictures, edited them, printed some, and gave the couple a DVD of what I snapped. They LOVED it!

Awesome! I love those chimes, and you're absolutely right, they are a fabulous gift for many occasions.

These bridezilla stories make me ill.

It worries me on so many levels that people aren't kind to one another anymore. Whatever happened to being thankful that your friends/family took the time to attend and support you on your special day? What happened to "your presence is present enough"? I am just in awe of the tackiness and ridiculousness of these brides. They all need lessons in HAVING and BEING a friend.

I honestly couldn't tell you who didn't give a gift at my wedding. I wrote heartfelt and long thank you notes because I knew how busy my friends and family's schedules were. I felt so blessed that they took the time to share my day when they could have easily chosen to be somewhere else. If I had received such an email from a "friend", I would have been devastated & so embarrassed. (Nursing school is expensive...I am a broke college student.) I am not sure I would have replied to either email. I don't think the brides deserved a response.

Sounds like there are some brides who need a lesson in manners AND friendship.

As a former wedding planner....I think $100 is a perfectly acceptable gift no matter what the reception costs. I also thought the gift basket was a thoughtful idea and should have been appreciated for the uniqueness of it at the very least.

I feel sorry for people who don't know how to treat others. How sad of a life you must have when you can get so upset over such frivolous things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

BBM

When I was eighteen my sister got married to her first husband. I took pictures and put them into one of those frames that has several different openings for pictures. It turns out that their wedding photographer missed taking a picture of her ex husband's grandmother and I had gotten one without knowing it and put it in the frame. They loved it.

Several years ago, DH and I were invited to a late July wedding that was, by far, the largest gathering for such an event that we had ever seen. The small church (historical site) was packed to the gills and much too hot because it had no a/c. Many guests couldn't even get inside the tiny church, and DH and I would have gladly forfeited our seats had we known about the crowd outdoors :D The wedding party was huge (7 bridesmaids/7 groomsmen, and a handful of little ones - flower girls/ring bearers). The reception was at a large hall and was attended by nearly 400 people! DH and I didn't even know that many people when we got married 42 years ago :blushing:

Long story short: By Christmastime that year, the couple were already separated, and divorce followed shortly thereafter. So much for gala weddings and happily ever after.

reminds me of my cousin. they had a huge fancy wedding. it was a big deal. i actually didn't go because my cat died that day and i was too upset. i'm not sorry i missed it though - they were divorced in 3 months.

i have nothing against big production weddings (though they're definitely not for me) but i do think some people put more thought and effort into the wedding than they do the marriage.

My gift to my brother, for his wedding, was similar. I did all of the photography, prints and keepsake albums for them. I even did the prints and a keepsake book for my SIL's elderly parents. (Her dad was dying of cancer and some how he mustered up the strength to walk my SIL down the aisle... I made it my mission to make sure my SIL and the rest of his family had that moment and memory captured) When all was said and done, my SIL was an extremely grateful bride. Love that girl to pieces...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82
Back