Welcome to The Murder Accountability Project!

Mr. Hargrove,

You have a question from Mike from the Websleuths Twitter account.

Any way to access various Victim's names as opposed to just raw data & Numbers?

Thank you, Tricia

As you can see by my stripped-down profile, this is my first post and I felt the need to say that I was (probably like numerous others) turned onto this community by "The Killing Season", but just by using the different formulas in the county I live in in New Jersey, it speaks volumes of how numbers do not lie.
I live in Somerset County, NJ, which is a pretty "safe" county, but there's a lot of patterns here also.
Thatnks for providing me with this tool and for all of this information, I intend to use it and hopefully contribute somehow.

i am fairly new to this community and excited to take a look through this site and see whats going on

Welcome :)

::welcome3:

i'm here Puggle ....you are not the only lonely Australian ........although I get too scared to post, I am there reading and liking xxxxxx

Yay my ediethedog is here .......*advertiser censored* .... and don't be scared to post !!

TOM HARGROVE THE DIRECTOR OF THE MURDER ACCOUNTABILITY PROJECT IS OUR GUEST TONIGHT ON WEBSLEUTHS RADIO

THE KILLING SEASON EPISODES 5 & 6 DISCUSSION WILL AIR LIVE TONIGHT 8:00 PM EASTERN LISTEN HERE

Filmmakers Josh Zeman and Rachel Mills are back to discuss two of the wildest episodes yet! Episodes 5 & 6 that aired Saturday night. If you missed these episodes you can catch up on A&E RIGHT HERE

Tuesday 8 PM Eastern on Websleuths Radio Josh and Rachel welcome Tom Hargrove from The Murder Accountability Project. Along with Chief of Detectives at the Charleston Police Department in West Virginia Steve Cooper. Also on the show prosecutor Marieclair Akers from the Charleston District Attorney’s office.

Is Neal Falls the Long Island Serial Killer? Why did the police tell Stacey Gage's daughter they weren't going to look for her missing mother?

Personally, I want to ask Josh what he was thinking when he went up to an angry guy with a machete in a field and tried to have a conversation with him? Does Josh have a death wish? We want to know!!

What surprises are coming up on the last two episodes? Feel free to call in with any questions (713)-955-0606 Don't miss The Killing Season on A&E Saturday night 9 PM Eastern.Remember TONIGHT we are LIVE on Websleuths Radio at 8:00 PM Eastern

Hello Mr. Hardgrove,

I came across something interesting when I looked up homicide clearances in the Monterey County, where I live in California. To ne more specific, going back to around 2009, there are an average of about 30 unsolved homicides that are all gun related. Now, there is a prevalent gang issue in Salinas, but deaths are typically of the Hispanic race in this regard. The interesting aspect is the the race for nearly all of the unsolved murders are stated to be of the White Male origin. Do you think a serial killer (or killers) could be working in the area, or could the race portion of the Murder Accountability site be somehow incorrect?

I have yet to investigate further, but would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thank you,

New Websleuther

Thank you for that question, Wolfdad11.

Ethnicity (Hispanic-ness or non-Hispanic-ness) is not considered to be a race. Most Hispanics in the United States consider themselves to be racially "white." Since the racial choices are white, black, Asian, American Indian or "other", police agencies generally record Hispanics as "white." The FBI has a separate variable for allowing police to code whether or not a victim or offender is Hispanic, but most police opt out of using this variable.

As to what's going on in Monteray County, your police seem to be overwhelmed. In the last decade, 349 people have been murdered in your county, but police have made arrests in only 127 of them. That is a clearance rate of 36 percent, which is flat awful.

It is possible that most of these are Hispanic Americans. Based on your comment, it is likely.

But it is certain that most of these killings have been linked by police to "juvenile gangs." You can see that by pulling up everything the FBI was told about these killings. See the "how to use" tab to learn how to pull up the complete case-by-case files.

It should be noted that many police departments have learned how to defeat street gangs. Many others, however, have not yet learned that gangs can be beaten.

Criminlogist of Serial Killings
Hello,

I have watched all the episodes of the killing Season including tonight..I have a Bachelors in Science, in Criminal Justicell from Northeastern University..One of my professors Is an Icon in studying and profiling Serial Murders, he has met with Manson, Bundy( Before he was executed and many prominent other Serial Murderers, his name is Jack Levin, he resides in Sharon, MA. He has retired from Northeastern University but, he still dabbles a ton in Serial murders/Mass Murders with his colleague James Foxx he also resides in Sharon, MA. You guys should definitely get his take, he is great people and would I am sure love to give his feedback/opinion he has been on Dateline, World news tonight, 20/20 and other high profile shows.

Kristin
Stella19

Hi Everyone,

Do we have a site for you! The Murder Accountability Project.

The message below is from Tom Hargrove. Mr. Hargrove is the Director of the Murder Accountability Project.

The Murder Accountability Project is a nonprofit group based in Alexandria, Virginia, and operated by a Board of Directors that includes veteran homicide investigators, investigative journalists and homicide scholars. The project is intended to be a resource for police,
journalists and families of murder victims who want to know more about unsolved murders in their communities. The project is provided free-of-charge and can be accessed at www.murderdata.org

This website gives the public easy-to-use access to two datasets maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation: the Uniform Crime Report from 1965 to the present and — more useful for police investigators — the Supplemental Homicide Report from 1976 to the present. These are voluntary reporting systems, meaning local police are not required to provide any information to the FBI.

The Murder Accountability Project, using the Freedom of Information Act, has obtained data on more than 22,000 homicides that were not reported to the Justice Department. This means the information at www.murderdata.org is the most complete data on U.S. homicides available anywhere.

To download the four-page briefing document we give to homicide investigators, click on this link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59764882/HowToForMAP2016.pdf

In the coming weeks, we will be working with Mr. Hargrove and his incredible group of people to show you how you can use the information the group offerers for your local community

.So much to tell you but for now please get familiar with the site. Feel free to post questions.

Thank you,

Tricia Griffith
Owner/Websleuths.com

Is there anything like this in Canada?
I mean Robert Pickton was caught feeding sex workers to his pigs (i lived close when some women went missing) There has been missing and murdered women on the "Highway of Tears" (British Columbia) and the sky tours the cops give (they take you out of town at night and "drop you off"..some have never maid it home (happens in Alberta and Ontario( that i know of))
I know this post is a bit scattered, but i just want to know if anything even close to this is available or up and running in Canada.

Hi All. .I Just Found This Site From Watching The Killing Season On A&E. ...I think it's great for anyone who may want to help solve any kinds of murders and or missing people. ....keep up the great work

Tom Hargrove and The Murder Accountability Project are a big part of the season Finale of The Killing Season on A&E

Great Job Tom!!!!

Thanks so much for all your hard work connecting dots and bringing it to light!

Of course I am curious what the other 2 cities with clusters were...maybe I need to find out for myself? I will !!

In Illinois most of the Police Departments are under staffed with low funding. These departments depend on Illinois State Police to investigate serious crimes such as murder. ISP usually gets notified approximately 1 hour (on average) after the local police have been at the crime scene. How much evidence is potentially lost due to weather conditions or an over zealous officer while waiting the ISP.

Thomas

I was almost killed by William Reese at the Texas City TX exit ramp April 3 1986. I have gone to the authorities FBI local police, state police, Tim Miller who started a search group since his daughter was found buried and shot. Also just recently channel 13 local news. No one except our local channel 13 news would listen to me. It has been too long so channel 13 was not able to confirm my contacts.

William Reese had pulled a gun to my head and thank God I lived. I also had my boyfriend with me at the time and he also almost died.

Just recently William Reese gave up women he killed in Texas and Ok. Many of the bodies found prior to William Rees's confession that had been shot in the back of the head and buried in what is known as the killing fields.

I can put a gun in William Reese's hand since 1986 (in which most of the women died from) but no one wants to hear me now and listen to me than.

I am hoping to provide this information. I know that William Reese was killing since April 3 1986 the day I almost died.

I have been watching The Killing Season and many memories of that day still affect me. It is sad to me that back in 1986 I went to all the authorities including the FBI and so did my boyfriend at that time. We both were shown a composite drawing of this person they were looking for and confirmed that was him. (down to the base ball hat and truck)

I hope that you can use this information that I know is very important. I believe that he is responsible for many of the girls missing (the I 45 serial killer) (Texas killing fields) and none of the authorities will put these cases together.

If I can give you any further information my email stlouisgirl1965@yahoo.com

Dana

I was almost killed by William Reese at the Texas City TX exit ramp April 3 1986. I have gone to the authorities FBI local police, state police, Tim Miller who started a search group since his daughter was found buried and shot. Also just recently channel 13 local news. No one except our local channel 13 news would listen to me. It has been too long so channel 13 was not able to confirm my contacts.

William Reese had pulled a gun to my head and thank God I lived. I also had my boyfriend with me at the time and he also almost died.

Just recently William Reese gave up women he killed in Texas and Ok. Many of the bodies found prior to William Rees's confession that had been shot in the back of the head and buried in what is known as the killing fields.

I can put a gun in William Reese's hand since 1986 (in which most of the women died from) but no one wants to hear me now and listen to me than.

I am hoping to provide this information. I know that William Reese was killing since April 3 1986 the day I almost died.

I have been watching The Killing Season and many memories of that day still affect me. It is sad to me that back in 1986 I went to all the authorities including the FBI and so did my boyfriend at that time. We both were shown a composite drawing of this person they were looking for and confirmed that was him. (down to the base ball hat and truck)

I hope that you can use this information that I know is very important. I believe that he is responsible for many of the girls missing (the I 45 serial killer) (Texas killing fields) and none of the authorities will put these cases together.

If I can give you any further information my email stlouisgirl1965@yahoo.com

Dana

Congratulations on your degree. It is not easy going into Criminal Justice.

Please pass along my email to your professor and ask him to contact me when he has a moment.

triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com

Thank you,
Tricia
Owner/Websleuths.com

Criminlogist of Serial Killings
Hello,

I have watched all the episodes of the killing Season including tonight..I have a Bachelors in Science, in Criminal Justicell from Northeastern University..One of my professors Is an Icon in studying and profiling Serial Murders, he has met with Manson, Bundy( Before he was executed and many prominent other Serial Murderers, his name is Jack Levin, he resides in Sharon, MA. He has retired from Northeastern University but, he still dabbles a ton in Serial murders/Mass Murders with his colleague James Foxx he also resides in Sharon, MA. You guys should definitely get his take, he is great people and would I am sure love to give his feedback/opinion he has been on Dateline, World news tonight, 20/20 and other high profile shows.

Kristin
Stella19

Thank heavens you survived this! Am afraid cases like Reese are the most difficult to solve or even to track. Mobile killers -- especially those who alter their methods or victim types -- are essentially invisible. This is why the FBI created the Highway Serial Killer Initiative using DNA or other hard evidence to connect victims in multiple locations.

why is this a big deal?
you can already access UCR and Supplementary Homicide Reports. UCR is not voluntary.

Developing out NIBRS data is going to the future of homicide studies, by making it mandatory for police departments and the standard level of information that needs to be reported.

The key to getting complete information on cases from law enforcement is providing funding and resources for staff to compile records and send them to the FBI. Furthermore, the FBI needs to report federal cases in a separate dataset, which they aren't currently mandated to do. There are a lot of discrepancies in data based on who reports and who doesn't, and that is dependent on legislative funded mandates.
Also, a local police department is not going to make reporting a priority if they don't see any benefit in return. There has to be some other incentive. Otherwise, they see it as unnecessary paperwork that does nothing for their departments, while the feds have no similar duty to report their cases. There needs to be alignment, staff and funding between feds and local PD and the incentive to to make it a priority in the first place.

I'm so new to this forum.
I watched with great interest and horror the "The Killing Season", a few of the episodes.
My heart was saddened by listening to the statistics that stated so many individuals have yet to be found.

I have no education in this field, predominantly marketing oriented, but I want to help in some way.

Thank you for reading.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back